• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

jett

D-Member
It's just an upscaler, but I imagine it delivers much better image quality than what a Wii would do on its own.

There is only one true WiiHD:

evesham-technology-solar-vs-desktop-pc.jpg

cacildo

jett said:
It's just an upscaler, but I imagine it delivers much better image quality than what a Wii would do on its own.

Who knows? The pictures sure aint looking that good. Gotta wait for some reviews...

Either way, im not giving 75 bucks on a upscaler. Nintendo better come out with an official and cheaper solution.

Vizion28

Banned
Speaking of Nintendo hardware does anyone know how much profit Nintendo is making off a Wii unit?

Correct if me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Gamecube selling for $99? If the Wii is just a souped up GC and the tech being about 10 years old not to mention almost 70 million Wiis have been manufactored, is it a good estimate to say they make over $100 per unit?

I'm also curious to know how much they make for every DS sold.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vizion28 said:
Correct if me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Gamecube selling for $99? If the Wii is just a souped up GC and the tech being about 10 years old not to mention almost 70 million Wiis have been manufactored, is it a good estimate to say they make over $100 per unit?
Νο.

Vizion28 said:
Speaking of Nintendo hardware does anyone know how much profit Nintendo is making off a Wii unit?

I'm also curious to know how much they make for every DS sold.

The Wii may be a "souped up" GC, but it still uses new hardware including the controllers, wifi and such and also comes packed in with software.
They are easily profiting on the system, but it's probably closer to $40-50 a unit.

Eteric Rice said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I saw this on Go Nintendo.

http://www.g0nintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=119439 (replace the 0 with an o.)

So... It begins again?
You read g0nintendo? I'm sorry. :D

As for the rumor. A working theory is that Nintendo's next system will be in the same capability band as the PS360. If this is in fact so, and Nintendo had a release date of fall 2012 penciled in, and they wanted to try for some cross platform launch titles, they could bring publishers on board with a promise of what APIs and capabilities they would have once the kits were out. A leads artist could be told that they would be targeting the Wii2 as well, and be told that the system would have X amount of RAM available for graphics, and to make sure assets would be compatible with it by doing A, B, and C.

I am *VERY* strong on the idea that Nintendo will start their next generation at the 5 or 6 year mark somewhere in the PS360 capability band. Maybe higher, but not a giant leap past. It makes sense. They come in a couple of years before their competitors very strongly and they will be seen as the upgrade path for current Wii owners, and as a temptation for everyone else assuming that they can get included into the multiplatform love.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
G0Nintendo is a news hub censored due to their history of miss-reporting news and poor interpretation.

Look beyond that and you'll see all they're reporting is Linkedin profile from a Midway developer stating he is working on a "Wii2" title, hence the report. There's really nothing censorship worthy there or anything reported incorrectly. It is what it is. Either discuss it or dont, but leave the dude alone.

wsippel said:
True. However, all they did in this case was to (accurately) quote a Linkedin profile.

Which in and of itself, without any further context, is hardly worthy of all that much discussion. I think GAF would really benefit from more posters moving past the point of simply avoiding straight-up factually inaccurate stories and onto the point of avoiding contextually uninformative stories as well.

Since this thread was first started, we've more or less confirmed that a) Nintendo have been handing out devkits for the 3DS and bringing people on board officially to develop for it and b) they haven't been doing so for a Wii successor. (Not that they're not developing it, not that they aren't starting to possibly talk to higher-ups at other publishers about it, not that the hardware might not already be locked down -- but there's a point at which you've put enough dev hardware out there that your system becomes an open secret, and we hit that with 3DS a little while ago but have yet to get close to that point with Wii's successor.)

That makes a comment on the LinkedIn profile of a random developer from Midway (i.e. a shitty C-tier publisher in the midst of being broken up for spare parts and devoured by larger entities) pretty much empty information -- it's quite possible that the team have been working on a game using a cross-platform engine under the assumption that an HD-powered Nintendo system will eventually release, either speculatively (as Ubisoft have done with their team dedicated to creating prototypes for the potential next hardware generation) or based on some vague assurance from Nintendo (like "we will eventually produce a Wii of some kind that outputs HD") but quite unlikely that it's based on a level of concrete, factual information significant enough to fuel anything but more "lol Wii HD" arguments.

********** (to their credit) are pretty straightforward about exactly that in the linked article: it says pretty clearly that this isn't confirmation of anything, we'll almost certainly learn nothing more about this particular piece of information, and it serves no purpose besides to fuel uninformed speculation. :lol

Top Bottom