• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Selects Announced for US for release on March 11 (3DS/Wii/Wii U)

tmarg

I'd much rather have Wii U games as part of selects.

My girlfriend wants 3D World but it seems to be out of print in the UK so sells for like £50, that's like $70..

I didn't realize there weren't any WiiU games included. That definitely sucks.

georly

Oh man, pikmin 3 for 16 bucks is a steal. I adore that game to bits. If I didn't already own it, i'd definitely be picking it up. I might pick up zelda just so i have both versions of it.

I bought Super Mario All-Stars for the heck of it. $16 for an art book, CD, and a SNES ROM isn't too bad.

Ugh, that boxart. Why couldn't they just stick with the minimalistic Player's Choice label they used back in the GC/GBA era.
It has been that way pretty much since the Wii got it with Twilight Princess.

I'd much rather have Wii U games as part of selects.

My girlfriend wants 3D World but it seems to be out of print in the UK so sells for like £50, that's like $70..

And what about Lego City Undercover or Super Luigi U...

I hope NX will have region free games and store sales, I'm so done with this bullshit. The only good thing is that you can sell the games at a good price on the second hand market.

TheMoon

I bought Super Mario All-Stars for the heck of it. $16 for an art book, CD, and a SNES ROM isn't too bad.

Yo, you're not getting either the artbook or the CD. You're getting the SNES ROM on the Wii disc and that is it.

Not sure why you'd think otherwise. The box art clearly tells you what you're getting:
81kZGz7xnXL._SL1500_.jpg

Note the utlra obvious difference:

It has been that way pretty much since the Wii got it with Twilight Princess.

Yo, you're not getting either the artbook or the CD. You'r getting the SNES ROM on the Wii disc and that is it.

Yeah there is no way it comes with that stuff. That was for the 25th anniversary and it was branded as a Limited Edition on the box back then. The inside case with just the game disc didn't say that, and that is what we are getting this time (the artwork inside the red border is even the same as that inner case).

EDIT: See images above for what I mean.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Super Mario All-Stars should still come with the manual though. i don't think Nintendo's stopped doing those in re-prints.

Eyothrie

I wish Best Buy would put up the Wii U games. They've got the 3DS games up for preorder. Strange. Need that GCU discount.

I have a question about wii port games on the VC. do i need to use a wii era controller to play the ones without move sensitivity? Like could i play animal crossing with my wii u pad?

I have a question about wii port games on the VC. do i need to use a wii era controller to play the ones without move sensitivity? Like could i play animal crossing with my wii u pad?

If you're talking specifically about the Wii U downloadable versions of Wii games, you can get away with playing ones that originally supported the Wii Classic Controller with only the Wii U GamePad, yes. If you buy and use a disc, which is what this thread is about, you have to use a Wii-era controller (Wii Remote/Nunchuk, Wii Classic Controller/Pro, etc.)

If you're talking specifically about the Wii U downloadable versions of Wii games, you can get away with playing ones that originally supported the Wii Classic Controller with only the Wii U GamePad, yes. If you buy and use a disc, which is what this thread is about, you have to use a Wii-era controller (Wii Remote/Nunchuk, Wii Classic Controller/Pro, etc.)

oh! I thought these would be VC too. My bad, still very interested :)

topplehat

With the Amazon Prime discount this is ridiculous. Personally I am going to sell some of the physical copies I have and get the eShop counterparts when they drop.

Does anyone know if the Wii games being offered through the Selects line will be downloadable on the eshop? I know some already are, but All Stars isn't available on there yet.

I think I'm going to get the OOT selects from amazon for ~$16 with the prime discount. Finally, I don't have to pay over $40 for this game!! :D

kc44135

So, I just checked GameStop and Best Buy, and neither of them have these games up for pre-order. Does this mean that they aren't going to carry these games as Nintendo Selects? I'd really like to get 'em at Best Buy, if possible.

Well, I'm glad I can finally get Ocarina of Time 3DS for a good price. I owned it back in the N64 days, but I don't remember a whole lot of it. I know it's regarded as a classic game.

kc44135

Yes, i meant Master Quest. Is the mode available from the beginning?

Links are dead btw.

Hows the DK port?

I noticed no one answered you on DKC Returns 3D,so I thought I'd chime in. The port is mostly fine, and looks good on the 3DS (although the Wii version looks drastically better). It also has a few extra levels not present in the original Wii version. They're nothing to get excited over, but they're fun. However, I consider it the inferior version of the two.

The framerate in DKC 3D is 30 FPS max, with small dips here and there, whereas the Wii version is a silky smooth 60 pretty much the entire time, and that has a HUGE impact on a 2D platformer, especially one as challenging and fast-paced as DKC Returns. The 3DS version has it's merits. It's portable, has extra content, and has arguably better controls, but I personally never had any real issues with the Wii controls, and find them far preferable to playing this game at 30 FPS. It just doesn't feel right for a game like this. Also, co-op is much easier to jump into in the Wii version. All that said, $19.99 isn't bad if you haven't played the game before, or don't have access to the Wii version.

I was going to buy Zelda: Ocarina of Time on Amazon, but I was lower on gift card balance than I thought, so... I may just pick up it on the eShop if they match the price - although I am low on space on my 16 GB SD card.

This is amazing, I just ordered

Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

At $15.99 on Amazon. I don't have a Wii U yet because I was waiting for this kind of this discounts. This year I will def buy one.

Levondrious

Neo Member
Here's hoping that Europe will get these Exclusives soon. Mostly excited for Ocarina of Time because I recently bought a New 3DS XL, and it's my first Nintendo handheld ever.
In Germany the regular prices for 3DS games are still around 40€. And the only Selected game I'm interested in is Link between worlds. The rest is meh...

Ordered Pikmin 3 off Amazon. It's the one WiiU game I still needed, but the original print has been approaching $100. For 16 bucks, it's a no brainer.

Just noticed some 3rd party seller on Amazon is trying to sell the Selects version for $60. So shameless.

I preordered ocarina 3D for 16 bucks.

I already own it. Digitally too.

Sigh.

I'm about to be in the same boat. I have every Zelda on 3DS digitally but I miss owning physical copies of games from my favorite franchises so where it's so cheap I'm getting it.

do the discs have a special marking or anything that would make it different than the first prints

I can buy a copy of all stars and use the disc for my limited edition copy i traded in years ago

This is amazing, I just ordered

Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

At $15.99 on Amazon. I don't have a Wii U yet because I was waiting for this kind of this discounts. This year I will def buy one.
You're in for a treat. Games are well worth that price.

Top Bottom