• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Switch will use Orin SoC variant codenamed T239/Black Knight

cormack12

Gold Member

It should be mentioned that kopite7kimi is probably the most reliable person when it comes to Nvidia rumours considering that kopite7kimi was almost completely spot on when it comes to the specs of the Ampere GPUs months before it was officially announced by Nvidia.

Black Knight seems to fit in with Nvidia's naming scheme, considering the codenames for all of the automotive SoCs are named after fictional superheroes in the DC Comics (Xavier, Orin) whilst the codenames for all of the mobile SoCs after the Tegra 4 are named after superheroes in the Marvel Comics (Logan, Erista, Mariko, Parker, Black Knight). (Charles Xavier is technically a superhero in the DC Comics and the Marvel Comics via Doctor Strangefate in the Amalgam Comics since DC Comics and Marvel Comics are the parent companies of the Amalgam Comics).

Tangerine

Sometimes a company will 'leak' a fake story to a select group or individual employee, in order to narrow down or outright find out who the leaker(s) are.

I wonder if that's what happened with the wall street journal saying the switch pro would be revealed before E3?

martino

tenor.gif

edit: i'm ready for whatever improve current situation even if not by much

Last edited:

tkscz

While I don't doubt nVidia would just slap a "custom" Orin SoC in it and call it a day (custom being just lowering clock speeds for less battery use) something like this still wouldn't be an upgraded variant of the Switch, but more of a successor. More DS to 3DS than 3DS to N3DS.

If the previous rumors are to be taken into account, that the GPU runs at 1024MHz in handheld mode, then this thing would run at ~4TFs. That's a significant jump from Switch's ~300GFs.

A 3050?

On a Nintendo Platform?

Hell no. No way. That’s bigger than a series S.

Not happening.

This is less Nintendo and more nVidia. Plus I wouldn't equate it to a 3050. That would still use GDDR6 RAM while this would more likely use LPDDR5 and run at a MUCH slower rate. An under clocked 3050 would be a closer idea, like the OG Switch is an under clocked GT750.

Last edited:

FingerBang

While I don't doubt nVidia would just slap a "custom" Orin SoC in it and call it a day (custom being just lowering clock speeds for less battery use) something like this still wouldn't be an upgraded variant of the Switch, but more of a successor. More DS to 3DS than 3DS to N3DS.

If the previous rumors are to be taken into account, that the GPU runs at 1024MHz in handheld mode, then this thing would run at ~4TFs. That's a significant jump from Switch's ~300GFs.

This is less Nintendo and more nVidia. Plus I wouldn't equate it to a 3050. That would still use GDDR6 RAM while this would more likely use LPDDR5 and run at a MUCH slower rate. An under clocked 3050 would be a closer idea, like the OG Switch is an under clocked GT750.
This is not impossible. The switch SOC is, 2 or 3 generations behind modern hardware. This could easily be the $400 machine they could sell next to the normal switch and lite with similar performance in mobile mode and fully unleashed when docked

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Even then this would outperform a series S.

Come on this is never happening. I’ll happily eat crow if it does, but…

b6a6es

Banned
A 3050?

On a Nintendo Platform?

Hell no. No way. That’s bigger than a series S.

Not happening.
And WAY more expensive to make (as the Series S itself isn’t profitable), and it’s pretty much set in stone that Nintendo Hardware is Always profitable (the only 2 times it wasnt, was with the Virual boy & The 1st 3DS model due to pricecut to counter the Vita at the time, one of which was dropped while the other caused the company to bleed money for couple of years)

Last edited:

tkscz

Even then this would outperform a series S.

Come on this is never happening. I’ll happily eat crow if it does, but…

How would that out perform the series S? Slower RAM, it would have to have 20GBs of LPDDR5 to even come close to the 10GBs of GDDR6 the series S has. And even at 12 cores, the Ryzen inside the series S would easily out preform an ARM CPU. We're not talking M1 performance. And I doubt it would use NVMe technology, so games would still load slowly.

More than likely the 2048 CUDA cores would be cut down to 1536 cores, but even if it wasn't, it would still be down clocked to run in handheld mode.

If these rumored specs were true, it would still not perform on the same level as the series S.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How would that out perform the series S? Slower RAM, it would have to have 20GBs of LPDDR5 to even come close to the 10GBs of GDDR6 the series S has. And even at 12 cores, the Ryzen inside the series S would easily out preform an ARM CPU. We're not talking M1 performance. And I doubt it would use NVMe technology, so games would still load slowly.

More than likely the 2048 CUDA cores would be cut down to 1536 cores, but even if it wasn't, it would still be down clocked to run in handheld mode.

If these rumored specs were true, it would still not perform on the same level as the series S.

2048 ampere cores will smoke the gpu in the series S

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This.

Why the fuck do we have to go through this every generation? This epic level of delusion? The rumors about Wii U and the Switch were off the fucking charts.
And they stay off the charts after reveal until actual launch when nobody can deny how weak the system is anymore. It is obnoxious. The Switch Pro rumors have been the most ridiculous collection of repeated bullshit in gaming and are products of the same delusional thinking that Nintendo will cater to hardware enthusiasts. Maybe the Switch 2 will not be a weak ass system that has it's best games struggle to maintain 30FPS, but from the last 3 Nintendo consoles we should expect disappointing specs, shrug it off and enjoy the games they put out on it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yeah now customize it so that it only consumes around 20w tops (for the whole system), and is small enough to be considered a portable. Oh and Nintendo gotta make money on that hardware too, while selling it anywhere between 299$ and 399$.

Last edited:

tkscz

2048 ampere cores will smoke the gpu in the series S

The series S isn't that weak.

Wait a minute.
Are the 2048 cores the entirety of the SoC, ala Ryzen APUs, or is it just an nVIDIA GPU paired with an Arm CPU?
I'm confused.

CUDA cores like an nVidia GPU with an ARM CPU and LPDDR RAM all on one SoC. That's how the Tegra line is built. The current Switch has 256 Maxwell CUDA cores. Same ones in the Geforce 700 series (900 series for the redone Switch).

SomeGit

This makes no sense to me, so any devs right now would have to target a tegra X1 and this which is mad as a power difference seems a lot, as this is a several generations of upgrades for both CPU and GPU.

Or just target Switch Pro but if that's the case wouldn't it be better for the Switch Pro to just be a "Switch 2"?

I'm not sure what's more pathetic, these rumors or that blue box shit. The switch pro is such an insane rumor that never dies.

I'm sure it'll exist... at some point.
It's going into production like next week or so. It definitely exists.

As for the T239, they gonna substantially cut it down. Don't expect 12 cores and 2k cudas. More like 8 cores and 1500 cudas. And downclocked of course.

I love these rumors. I'm doubtful as well altough it'd certaintly be a real megaton if, all of a sudden, Switch "ports" would be no issue at all given that the new "lowest common demoninator" would be the Series S. Also, if this thing is stationary only, it might be a completely new console and much more likely to have a beefier GPU.

JapeMincers

If this is indeed just a mid-gen refresh I can’t see this being anything other than a die shrunk X1 with clock speeds closer to the stock nVidia speeds and a bump in RAM.

However, at the Switch’s current age it’s possible it’ll actually a successor and would therefore have a new architecture. I personally wouldn’t expect raw performance to exceed the original Xbox One though, but it should have an improved feature set and be able to use DLSS to produce better results.

However, at the Switch’s current age it’s possible it’ll actually a successor
No chance. Nintendo isn't going to move to the next generation when the Switch is still selling absurdly high.

Not to mention, we would hear about a new generation console long before it starts getting produced. With refreshes, they want to announce them as close to launch as possible. But, with new generations they need a long time to promote the new generation.

Razvedka

Banned
The series S isn't that weak.
Compared to the listed GPU it most certainly is.

In practice it would probably put out better effects depending on the CPU + memory combo of this rumored Switch in addition to its targeted output resolution. So *if* this thing is real and targeting native 4k then that's a different story...

Last edited:

Zannegan

So, basically, if any of this were true, we'd be talking either suscessor or console-only (or both), right? Neither of those things fits with my ecpectations for Nintendo's next hardware...

...which is about the only thing that makes this rumor believable in my eyes. My expectations are always wrong. XD

EDIT: A question (just for fun): IF this were true, and this next Switch hardware were a hybrid using some version of this SoC, however cut down, how much would you expect it to cost?

Last edited:
So, basically, if any of this were true, we'd be talking either suscessor or console-only (or both), right? Neither of those things fits with my ecpectations for Nintendo's next hardware...

...which is about the only thing that makes this rumor believable in my eyes. My expectations are always wrong. XD

EDIT: A question (just for fun): IF this were true, and this next Switch hardware were a hybrid using some version of this SoC, however cut down, how much would you expect it to cost?
$499 as hybrid
$399 as console only

Anything else than 399 would be weird.

Zannegan

Anything else than 399 would be weird.
For a Switch Pro/Successor? I 100% agree. I was just wondering what price this kind of hardware would mandate. I'm just finding it hard to believe that you could pack something that could smoke the Series S into a hybrid form factor, charge $400 for it, and still be profitable.

Last edited:

These rumors and expectations are always ridiculous. I remeber before the switch came out there were actually people who thought it would be as strong as an Xbox1. Like do you people not see its a handheld device and needs to not overhear, be downclocked and have good battery life. Unless you want to hold a brick it's not going to happen.

Nickolaidas

These rumors and expectations are always ridiculous. I remeber before the switch came out there were actually people who thought it would be as strong as an Xbox1. Like do you people not see its a handheld device and needs to not overhear, be downclocked and have good battery life. Unless you want to hold a brick it's not going to happen.
Which is why the 'Switch Pro being only docked' rumor works with that logic.

Switch Lite for those who only want hanhdeld.
Switch for those who swing both ways.
Switch Pro for those who only want couch gaming.

Mithos

It's going into production like next week or so. It definitely exists.

As for the T239, they gonna substantially cut it down. Don't expect 12 cores and 2k cudas. More like 8 cores and 1500 cudas. And downclocked of course.
I expect Nintendo to disappoint, so I think they wont even go pass 4 cores and 512 cudas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom