• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Nintendo titles (Wario Land Shake, Rhythm Tengoku DS etc)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
With Wario Land Shake I'm not worried about the amount of stages. The waggle is what I'm worried about, the whole game seems to be designed around it so hopefully it all compliments the game...

Akai

Even from the blurriness of the Wario Land Shake pics it looks great...I'm just happy the game is an actual platformer!

Teasel said:
my fear are confirmed :/
rhytm tengoku was a game that required a lot of precision so having the game using the touch screens makes me worried

I think it will be great, because the game is designed with the TS in mind. I couldn't imagine a GBA RT-Port with TS controls either.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wario Land Shake kind of reminds me of Mischief Makers. "Shake shake!"

Could it be it's being developed by Treasure? :eek:

Zero/Fatal Frame

656456.png

I can't see shit from this pic, but the ambiance and visuals are looking nice, I guess. Still, I wonder how extensively this game actually uses the Wiimote capabilities...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Teasel said:
rhytm tengoku was a game that required a lot of precision so having the game using the touch screens makes me worried

yeah but wario land 3 stage required multiple runtrough and while i wouldn't call them big they certainly weren't small

They just trade timed button presses for tapping and sliding? I have absolute faith as these guys made the 2nd best handheld game of all time.

Haunted One said:
Hot damn Wario Land! Jump n Run and Platformer fans rejoice. Nintendo's there to save this gen for you. :D
Seriously. I still have a hard time believing a big corporation greenlit a new 2D platform game, with 2D graphics, on home console, in 2008. Sounds like a kind of old-school gamer dream.

Akai

Stormbringer said:
Seriously. I still have a hard time believing a big corporation greenlighted a new 2D platform game, with 2D graphics, on home console, in 2008. Sounds like a kind of old-school gamer dream.

Well Nintendo has a lot of money in war chest, so it's nice to see them using it to fund "risky" projects...

psy18

Teasel said:

Same here. Timing is everything in RT.
The feeling of button pressing vs touch/scribbling screens are totally different.

In addition, the game might become too complex compared to the original RT game.
The original RT is beautiful because the only thing you need is to watch the screen, listen to the music/sound cues and match the rhythm.
With this touching and two screens to watch, the game can be entirely different from the original RT. (which can be better/worse)

goompapa

AniHawk said:
VB Wario Land: 14 stages
Super Mario Land 3 Wario Land: 40 stages
Wario Land II: ...more than Wario Land. Somewhere between 40-60
Wario Land 3: 25 stages
Wario Land 4: 18 stages

So it won't have the least, but it won't have the most.

Those are handheld games which are usually very short.

To be honest, I have never played a Wario game. How do the levels feel ? Like Mario Bros linear dash and runs or more like Yoshi's Island's, with multiple tiers that invite you to explore ?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
All I hope is that it's a damn sight longer than Wario World - I finished that game and every collectible item in it before teatime the same day.

goompapa said:
How do the levels feel ? Like Mario Bros linear dash and runs or more like Yoshi's Island's, with multiple tiers that invite you to explore ?

Definitely more-so the latter. Major emphasis is placed on exploration in WL games.

jarrod

Banned
goompapa said:
To be honest, I have never played a Wario game. How do the levels feel ? Like Mario Bros linear dash and runs or more like Yoshi's Island's, with multiple tiers that invite you to explore ?
Much more like YI, and they really encourage multiple playthroughs in WL3-4 (which likely accounts for the fewer stages).

Looking at the game, I think SPD may be doing this one alone (no Treasure, no IntSys)...

A plattformer and 2D no less is such a great sight these days. Happy! :D

Tom_Cody said:
Interesting. Those shots look strait out of Wario Land 4. I know the Wii is the Wii, but I was expecting a little more from the visuals.
You must have very good eyes.

Tom_Cody said:
I know the shots aren't the best quality, but they are there. Here are some Warrio Land 4 shots for comparison:

What comparison? You can't see shit by way of detail on the WLS scan, so comparing those tiny, blurred and compressed pics to the WL direct caps you're posting is going to tell no-one anything except that both games seem to have a similar artstyle.

The same goes for people overreacting in the opposite direction; until we have a better scan or direct-feed shots, the best you can say is that the artstyle looks to be in keeping with previous entries in the series, and that it seems to be as the descriptions had it - a 2D platformer with hand-drawn art. Promising, but not cause for the usual GAF "ZOMG! ITS BURSTINGOUTOFMYPANTS!" nonsense...

Alex

Fatal Frame came out of nowhere and trumped Silent Hill and System Shock for my favorite horror game. For some reason, I never managed to play any of the sequels on the PS2, but I sure as fuck am not going to miss this one. Can't wait to scream like a little girl, turn off the Wii in fear, and sleep with the lights on.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tom_Cody said:
I know the shots aren't the best quality, but they are there. Here are some Warrio Land 4 shots for comparison:

I own WL4. I was more wondering about how you could tell based on the very tiny size and high jpg compression on that Nintendo retail flyer. To me the backgrounds look a tad simple, but it's hard to tell if there are animated or parallax elements present.

As for Wario... Lee N and I were just trying to figure out if this is sprite-based or flat-shaded and 3d. The fact that we couldn't even settle that question pretty much suggests that these shots don't give us a lot of info :D

farnham

Banned
Tom_Cody said:
Interesting. Those shots look strait out of Wario Land 4. I know the Wii is the Wii, but I was expecting a little more from the visuals.
wow judging graphics from a low res scan..

i adore your abilitiz

Infernal Monkey said:
30ncav7.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy also looks a bit like Wario Land 4. :(

WRONG

Wario WORLD looks bettarz

wario-world-2.jpg

Akai said:
Well Nintendo has a lot of money in war chest, so it's nice to see them using it to fund "risky" projects...
Indeed, indeed...Let's just hope that the recent successes of 2D style Nintendo games in Japan (well, on DS, at least) will profit to this game somehow, and that this attempt, if met with success, will be followed by many others...
New Super Mario World anyone ? Kirby's (Waggly) Adventure 2 ?... :D

jj984jj

Stumpokapow said:
I own WL4. I was more wondering about how you could tell based on the very tiny size and high jpg compression on that Nintendo retail flyer. To me the backgrounds look a tad simple, but it's hard to tell if there are animated or parallax elements present.

As for Wario... Lee N and I were just trying to figure out if this is sprite-based or flat-shaded and 3d. The fact that we couldn't even settle that question pretty much suggests that these shots don't give us a lot of info :D
I'm siding with what's not hand-drawn is sprite based.

jesusraz

Stumpokapow said:

The best screen to look at is the one in the top-right, obviously. From that it looks like flat Wario and flat coins flying around, with DKC-esque 3D trees in the background. Looking good, whatever the case. I loved WL4, so can't wait for this!

jj984jj

jesusraz said:
The best screen to look at is the one in the top-right, obviously. From that it looks like flat Wario and flat coins flying around, with DKC-esque 3D trees in the background. Looking good, whatever the case. I loved WL4, so can't wait for this!
I think the trees are part of the hand-drawn background.

rhino4evr

viewtiful_dru said:
Rythm Tengoku DS!?!? NANI?
*joins GAF circlejerk*

When did SMB4 come out? Was I sleeping when this was announced?

umm..World was subtitled SMB4 in Japan. Get with it, what kind of Nintendo fan are you?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shiggy said:
I don't want to know what Nintendo has in the pipeline for Christmas.

Nintendo-owned developers:
SPD1 - No active projects, last did Card Hero
SPD2 - No active projects, last cooperated with Arika on Dr. Mario WiiWare
SPD3 - No active projects, last cooperated with Retro on MP3
SPD4 - No active projects, they do all the Wii Channels

EAD1 - No active projects, last did Mario Kart Wii
EAD2 - No active projects, last did Wii Play, probably doing Animal Crossing or Wii Music
EAD3 - No active projects, last did Link's Crossbow Training
EAD4 - No active projects, last did NSMB
EAD5 - No active projects, last did Wii Fit
EAD Tokyo - No active projects, last did SMG

NST - No active projects, last did Mario vs DK2
Retro - No active projects, last did Metroid Prime 3
MonolithSoft - Two active projects; Disaster: Day of Crisis, and Super Robot Wars OG Mugen Frontier. Last did Soma Bringer. Probably not working on much else.
Brownie Brown - No active projects for Nintendo, working on Blue Dragon Plus. Probably not working on much else.
Intelligent Systems - One active project, Fire Emblem DS. Bare minimum 3 teams total.

Second Party:
HAL Laboratory - Two active projects; Kirby Superstar DS, Kirby Wii. Last did Pokemon Ranger 2 and Smash Bros Brawl. Probably not working on much else.
Noise - No active projects. Last did Custom Robo Arena.
GameFreak - One active project; Pokemon Platinum. Probably not working on much else.
Ambrella - No active projects. Last did Everybody's Pokemon Ranch.
AlphaDream - No active projects; may have folded. Last did Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

I think the biggest wildcard is EAD4 who have only did handheld titles; the four Mario GBA games, Mario 64 DS, Yoshi Touch and Go, Big Brain Academy DS, and NSMB. They haven't done anything since NSMB. Realistically, that's more than two solid years of development time, which would be a longer continuous full-team development time than any DS game.

jarrod said:
Wouldn't it be Super Mario Bros. 6 really?
If your referring to New SMB I think Nintendo called it new because it was on handheld, and if your referring to Yoshi's Island I think it was called SMW 2 but I don't recall it being SMB5.

I really hope Nintendo is testing the market for 2d platformers with Wario Land Shake so we can get more in the future if God wills.

jarrod

Banned
EAD4 didn't do BBA Wii Degree? Also, NST's last project was Crosswords DS I thought?

Alphadream's not actually "2nd party" though iirc, they're just a close 3rd party partner (a la Camelot, Vivarium, Skip, Q-Games, etc). Their last Hamtaro game (which came out in early 07) was published by MMV too actually.

jarrod

Banned
DXB-KNIGHT said:
If your referring to New SMB I think Nintendo called it new because it was on handheld, and if your referring to Yoshi's Island I think it was called SMW 2 but I don't recall it being SMB5.

I really hope Nintendo is testing the market for 2d platformers with Wario Land Shake so we can get more in the future if God wills.
I was talking about NSMB. I love YI, and EAD clearly considers it part of the mainline "Super Mario" series... but there's no "Bros." really. ;)

Agreed on the second point... this almost makes up for their continual neglect of the series (and teasing us with that Suzak abortion) too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
EAD4 didn't do BBA Wii Degree? Also, NST's last project was Crosswords DS I thought?

You busted me. I didn't actually update any of this from the last time I typed it out and saved it, except the second party stuff. NST only did oversight on Crosswords, which was done by an external team--I'd say NST's role was largely to help the external team with the Brain Age code they were using.

As for BBA Wii Degree, I'm not sure. They might have done it, which actually would end up being disappointing since it would significantly reduce the chances of them working on a major handheld game. A brief scan is telling me that Kimura produced BBA Wii, so that suggests you might be right.

Twig

Banned
NSMB was just a remake of SMB1. o:

Wario Land looks awesome!!!

... is what I'd like to say. But it's impossible to see anything. ): Glad it's definitely for sure completely 2D gameplay, though! And I love the old school Wario art. <3

Wario Land 4 is my favorite GBA game and Rhythm Tengoku is my second favorite GBA game. How AWESOME to have sequels to both announced at the same time. <3 <3

Electrii

I can't believe we're actually getting a RT DS sequel. this is the best gaming news I EVER HEARD. I seriously can't think of any other game I'd love to see more!
The weird thing is, I was randomly thinking about how much I'd love a sequel a few weeks ago.. this is awesome-creepy. I absolutely can't wait :D

Top Bottom