• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nvidia basing their pricing on 30XX series cards that were selling like crazy to miners and scalpers.

Now that mining took a shit, they’re left with a glut of high end 30XX series cards that they had to slash prices on because it turns out their real customers don’t want to pay stupid money for a graphics card.

I’m seeing more pissed off people and little excitement. Crossing my fingers that players finally tell Nvidia to get fucked.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I’m seeing more pissed off people and little excitement. Crossing my fingers that players finally tell Nvidia to get fucked.
Not happing yet unfortunately with the high-end stuff. People have proven they'll pay anything for the 80-90 series. Maybe when the 4060 comes out at 500, then I can see people giving them the finger.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'd be super surprised if we see the 3090 get that cheap.

If the 4080 is indeed inferior to the 3090 then that is pretty terrible - the latter seems especially good value at £1,000 (on Amazon UK).
A 3090 for 850 euros would be the occasion of a life...

JackSparr0w

Banned
I am super curious how this strategy is going to play out for them. Pushing the 40 series while only offering 30 series at value prices. I can but won’t be upgrading my 3080 at these extortive prices. Curious to see if others will. Watch that stock price.
I'm really curious about this too the next few quarters of earnings reports will be very interesting.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I don't. It's just frame rate interpolation.
It will still have the same input latency as the base frame rate.

I have no qualms with motion interpolation in gaming. Have used it with my Occulus Rift and my TV has low input lag motion interpolation for gaming(Samsung). That came in handy with 30fps Xenoblade 3. Motion blur isn't a route I ever want to go down. The benefits of high framerate for me have always been about smooth motion in games especially when you have control over the camera.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
People are underestimating power consumption. Energy prices are supposed to double in the UK next year. The moment bills start coming you're going to see some people playing multplatform games on their bloody Switch due do performance p/watt. Sounds dramatic and ridiculous but the energy conscious will go there.

It wouldn't surprise me if we'll soon see green EU politicians clamoring for laws to ban these energy gobbling gaming monsters in order to make it through this energy/gas starved winter:

"Save the EU economy! Ban the RTX 4090!"

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'd be super surprised if we see the 3090 get that cheap.

If the 4080 is indeed inferior to the 3090 then that is pretty terrible - the latter seems especially good value at £1,000 (on Amazon UK).
No 2 year-old GPU built on an ancient process node is good value at $1000.

People need to realize that the two past years are the outlier, not the norm nor a new norm. The 3090 will get cheaper, as well as all the other RTX30 cards floodong the 2nd hand market.

GHG

4080 12GB is confirmed to be different silicon to the 16GB:

• GeForce RTX 4090: AD102-300
  • GeForce RTX 4080 16GB: AD103-300
  • GeForce RTX 4080 12GB: AD104-400

This confirms the 12gb 4080 is indeed the 4070 all but in name.

If the performance delta between the 12gb and 16gb is what we've come to expect the delta to be between the xx70 and xx80 series cards then I hope reviewers tear them a new one.

Caio

Can you imagine the best developers taking advantage of a PC based on a RTX 4090 Ti and DLSS 3 ? I think I would go straight to buy one, without even thinking. Any news about the RTX 4090 Ti release date ?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Can you imagine the best developers taking advantage of a PC based on a RTX 4090 Ti and DLSS 3 ? I think I would go straight to buy one, without even thinking. Any news about the RTX 4090 Ti release date ?

Nvidia should develop and publish a full fledged version of that Marbles game.

J3nga

No, I imagine it won't be out for a while.

Filben

I am not ok with this anti consumer bullshit. Especially when they can run it

That means my ...
This is why I'd never spend so much money on it because no matter the raw performance (let alone performance/cost ratio), you will always missing out on new features. Of course you can always try to sell your old card but depending on your region this can be a hassle. And this is just in case you already have a fully functional card and don't want to start from scratch either because of faulty hardware or getting into PC gaming since a long while.

And they keep getting away with this (and the pricing) because there are enough people saying "I don't care, I have the money/my priorities and will pay that".

500 is the absolute maximum I'm willing to pay per generation. It's a big hobby but not the only thing in the world I care about.

Also, my backlog is so full of games they would last two generations of GPUs I don't need for these kind of games.

Also, seeing the state of many AAA games requiring that kind of power, it's often not worth being an early adaptor. I've come to learn patience and spend the time in-between otherwise.

The only way to force nvidia to backtrack on these prices and the 4080 12Gb scam, is not to buy them.
Let nvidia suffer for a few months, and they will have to lower prices.

I’m guessing the pricing strategy for the 4080 had more to do with Nvidia wanting consumers to buy the overstocked 30 Series, and then once that stock has cleared sometime next year they would drop the 4080 price down to something more reasonable.

I really want to see what AMD do with their pricing and lineup strategy. We always knew RDNA 3 would never beat Lovelace on RT but rasterisation may very well be competitive.

Something like a 7800 with 2x the performance of the 6800 and 2.5x in RT for around 700-999 £/$ seems like an intriguing proposition and I’m not even factoring in power efficiency.

Anchovie123

I'll wait for the 4090 TI version of this

2005017116.png
What on earth is that. Life expectancy for that is probably terrible.

I'll wait for the gigachad noctua editions 💪😜

TrebleShot

Nvidia trying to move like Apple with one component , what could go wrong?

Seriously just get a console, the performance delta will be huge but your talking about 60fps to like 250fps on these cross gen games at 4k Vs 1440p or 40-60fps (4k)

Thaedolus

Real talk though: I'm glad I've held off on getting an RTX card until now. It didn't seem like the performance tradeoff was worth it, though maybe debatable with a pay through-your-nose 3090 or something.

But DLSS3 and remix seem like some true next gen game changers here, and I finally got a 4K TV late last year so...count me in for the 4080 16GB...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
4080 12GB is confirmed to be different silicon to the 16GB:

• GeForce RTX 4090: AD102-300
  • GeForce RTX 4080 16GB: AD103-300
  • GeForce RTX 4080 12GB: AD104-400

This confirms the 12gb 4080 is indeed the 4070 all but in name.

If the performance delta between the 12gb and 16gb is what we've come to expect the delta to be between the xx70 and xx80 series cards then I hope reviewers tear them a new one.
That’s just grimy.

Hot5pur

Everything about this looks like a bad deal. It's intended to push people to buy the 30xx series.
I am also interested in performance, the 2-4x numbers are done using DLSS in performance mode, and the new DLSS is apparently much better, but still, would be good to see non-DLSS performance.
I think this gives AMD a window to be really competitive given how soured people are with Nvidia (including the AIBs).

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
4k 120fps, 8k 60fps.. its all just resolution and framerates for £1600!!! thats absolutely fucking insane to me, its not like you're going to ever get the likes of ND, Rockstar or any of the big talented af devs to actually make a game that caters to something like a 4090 instead youre paying all that money to essentially play X1/PS5 games in higher rez/framerates... i dunno, 4K 60 looks ok to me, haivng said that, that RacerX demo looked incredible but thats a tech demo/game

samoilaaa

considering that the prices for the electricity keeps going up consoles are the way to go , no way is it worth to pay so much for a graphics card that will also double your electric bill

Pakoe

Just saw that the 4090 will be nearly 2k euros lmao. No thanks jeff, I'll be sticking to my 3080.
Wouldn't mind the upgrade, while selling my 3080 but this is just too extreme.

I will be honest with you.
We're heading into insane inflation and most likely a huge recession. Everything gets more expensive.
Gas/Electricity on top of that too.
With games costing more and PS5 even increasing its price, I don't think that we will see a huge amount of next-gen "only" games and as many will be cross gen as possible simply to push numbers on those games at least throughout 2023.
Not to say we won't see any next gen only games but I'd say we should lower expectations.
Whe will see what happens, There will be more and more PS5's in gamers hands, and therefore there will be more PS5 only games comming out. But i understand your point.

I'm starting to feel that way. Nvidia treating us like marks. Awfully convenient their new tech only works on their new absurdly expensive cards.

And we're just supposed to clap like seals I guess.

Last edited:

Sanepar

This is a scam series. I will wait for radeons. I'm sure 7800 xt will beat 4080 in rasterization and will be $999 max.

draliko

Too bad we don't have games that really push those cards... we still don't have nextgen games on consoles let alone on pc, this time i really don't see the necessity, I mean even with rtx it's still morrowind.... let's wait for amd and for some games that have real benefits from this kind of power

//DEVIL//

Because who the hell wants to play at 60fps with a 4090
Then it’s not worth upgrading if it can’t run native . Might as well wait for a gpu that actually can.

Hell when unreal 5 games hit, not even the 4090 will get that native.

You need to read between the lines of that nvidia conference . All their bench mark with 3000 series was always with dlss 3 enabled and ray tracing on . Turn both off and what is the actual performance gain here ?

This card to me seems it’s just trying to squeeze more power of old card by raising the tdp and bigger heat sink to handle the heat.

Seems the new architecture is just based on more/ better ray tracing and dlss3 technology

Rbk_3

Then it’s not worth upgrading if it can’t run native . Might as well wait for a gpu that actually can.

Hell when unreal 5 games hit, not even the 4090 will get that native.

You need to read between the lines of that nvidia conference . All their bench mark with 3000 series was always with dlss 3 enabled and ray tracing on . Turn both off and what is the actual performance gain here ?

This card to me seems it’s just trying to squeeze more power of old card by raising the tdp and bigger heat sink to handle the heat.

Seems the new architecture is just based on more/ better ray tracing and dlss3 technology

It will still be well over 50% more performance is rasterization performance minimum compared to the 3090ti. That's quite a significant jump.

In my case, I mainly play Warzone and I am hoping I will finally max out my 240hz 1440p monitor at all times with a 4090/13900k. 12900KS/3090 doesn't do it, GPU bottlenecked in certain scenarios and CPU bottlenecked in others.

Last edited:
4k 120fps, 8k 60fps.. its all just resolution and framerates for £1600!!! thats absolutely fucking insane to me, its not like you're going to ever get the likes of ND, Rockstar or any of the big talented af devs to actually make a game that caters to something like a 4090 instead youre paying all that money to essentially play X1/PS5 games in higher rez/framerates... i dunno, 4K 60 looks ok to me, haivng said that, that RacerX demo looked incredible but thats a tech demo/game
I play weebshit on my computer at 1080p. I don't even consider myself a PC gamer.

GHG

This is a scam series. I will wait for radeons. I'm sure 7800 xt will beat 4080 in rasterization and will be $999 max.

If AMD can sort out their VR and RT performance I will consider switching.

Until then I can't look away from Nvidia products, even if I know they are scamming me.

That’s just grimy.

The problem is that if we believe the leaks based on the chip numbers, the 12GB 4080 will perform similarly to the 3080ti. That's simply not good enough.

Last edited:

JMarcell

RTX 4080 12GB = RTX 4070. NVIDIA renamed it to 4080 just to justify the price. They still want people to buy the remaining RTX 3000 cards so that's why they put RTX 4000 prices so high.

Last edited:
I wonder what the demand is gonna be with these. Apparently GPU mining has decreased significantly so idk. There's a new niche coming up though, AI image generation. I guess some people might want to buy an RTX 4090 for that...

GHG

I wonder what the demand is gonna be with these. Apparently GPU mining has decreased significantly so idk. There's a new niche coming up though, AI image generation. I guess some people might want to buy an RTX 4090 for that...

Doesn't have the false promise of eternal riches that crypto did.

Will have zero impact on price sensitivity.

deeptech

how much do you expect for actual 4070? 699 at least i think, i'm scared to think less, and for what? 4080 12 gb is something like 3090 judging by nvidia slides, so around maybe touch better than base 3080 for a bigger msrp? not right

Top Bottom