• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

4090 is triple slot... fuck. Well, I have a 1200w PSU, so I'm good. selling off 2 GPUS and coming off with 1400 bucks is alright with me. I'm practically ready, besides availability.
I'm chill, till I can get it, lol. The main boon this year will be a monitor that takes absolute advantage of it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Part of this is general price increases of everything (hey DenchDeckard DenchDeckard noticing how every company not making most of their revenue in USD / US is raising prices… look at Apple and even the App Store prices… now I wonder why another green company is not raising their box prices, 🤔 hehe)…

Part of it is general increased semiconductors design and manufacturing costs at those nodes (restricted availability of advanced nodes playing into this: see also Apple recycling their A15 in the new non pro iPhones).

Part of it is nVIDIA’s assumed mindshare will just get people to pay whatever they ask.

Part of it, again people begging your way into a cross generation forever angle and wishing for iterative / Pro console versions (more hardware released more quickly just to hope to get better performance): on top of adding more complexity for devs to handle and games taking barely advantage of what they can do the bigger problem is delivering performance improvements at the same pace as before when HW performance without increasing cost + power consumption + etc…
It takes longer and longer to get sizeable performance improvements and it takes more and more performance delta and/or costly innovation to deliver actual changes in games.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The real win would be to not buy used GPU for 2000 €
They are not announcing much on the low power mobile HW, I think Nintendo must be sweating bullets deciding what to use for the Switch successor or just saying f-it Switch remasters on Switch 2 or just a basic BC layer and going with AMD.

I am sure AMD can help them develop a software BC layer and deliver a Zen# + RDNA# based APU, heck AMD could also replace the x86 CPU side with ARM, but I think there are advantages for Nintendo to jump on x86 too tooling wise that are hard to ignore and a modern Zen can certainly handle Switch’s current load even optimised for low power.

If Nintendo is smart they will still use OLED and VRR on their Switch successor to save on battery and power consumption, like Steam Deck does. I see them having a lower power but maybe newer SoC architecture than Steam Deck as AMD would love to take another vendor off of nVIDIA so I think they would make a crazy good deal for Nintendo (devs would love have all consoles on the same core architecture, it does bring some simplification so I expect publishers would give Nintendo a strong nod of approval too).

900$ for 4060 and 1200$ for 4070 :messenger_dizzy:...it's like one day Ford decided to put GT price on KA.

If specs are correct then aftermarket 4090 will end up being closer to 2000, the gap is much greater between 4090 and 4080 then last gen. Waiting for reviews.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Part of this is general price increases of everything (hey DenchDeckard DenchDeckard noticing how every company not making most of their revenue in USD / US is raising prices… look at Apple and even the App Store prices… now I wonder why another green company is not raising their box prices, 🤔 hehe)…

Part of it is general increased semiconductors design and manufacturing costs at those nodes (restricted availability of advanced nodes playing into this: see also Apple recycling their A15 in the new non pro iPhones).

Part of it is nVIDIA’s assumed mindshare will just get people to pay whatever they ask.

Part of it, again people begging your way into a cross generation forever angle and wishing for iterative / Pro console versions (more hardware released more quickly just to hope to get better performance): on top of adding more complexity for devs to handle and games taking barely advantage of what they can do the bigger problem is delivering performance improvements at the same pace as before when HW performance without increasing cost + power consumption + etc…
It takes longer and longer to get sizeable performance improvements and it takes more and more performance delta and/or costly innovation to deliver actual changes in games.

Your points would make complete sense if you weren't using examples of companies using the latest bleeding edge tech for their latest releases vs Sony who have put the price up of ps5 that's 2 years old and has literally had a redesign stripping out even more pcb and heatsink, power draw to the point that the disk drive version now weighs around the same as the launch digital. So Sony is deffo an outlier here 😉

The ps5 is the cheapest it has been ti manufacture and ship worldwide for Sony yet it costs the most it ever has. Can you explain why Sony haven't put the price up in the USA? Please don't say the strong dollar lol 😀

ntropy

4090 is triple slot... fuck. Well, I have a 1200w PSU, so I'm good. selling off 2 GPUS and coming off with 1400 bucks is alright with me. I'm practically ready, besides availability.
I'm chill, till I can get it, lol. The main boon this year will be a monitor that takes absolute advantage of it.
your PSU needs PCIe 5.0 cables FYI

ToTTenTranz

Banned
On a side note, do we even need this now? Outside of people with old gpus, what games take advantage of this? 4k monitors are expensive (unlike tv counterparts).

I think this is the most important point at the moment. Most games right now are still using mostly PS4 era engines with a bit of RT bling on top, and a 3090 runs those at 4k120 with little effort. There's just no need to push performance for the foreseeable future (3 to 4 years?).
Nvidia will undoubtedly try to push "super RT" patches on existing games with ludicrus performance hits and minimal IQ impact, and digitalfoundry's I-get-all-my-geforces-for-free Alex Battaglia will try to paint those as something more important than breathing oxygen, but in reality there will be little perceivable difference for the fortune they demand.

This generation should have been more focused on power efficiency than brute performance (energy crisis and all). Though of course Nvidia prefers expensive products that give them higher margins.

Question is, do I want to get a 3080ti today or wait a couple months and pay extra for the 12gb 4080?
Wait a couple of months and buy a 3080 Ti for much cheaper than now, and save the money to upgrade in 2 years.

Do these things have direct storage on them?

RTX I/O seems to have been silently cancelled. It never made much sense for DirectX IO to use GPU decompressing in the first place. In 2020 Nvidia just wanted to get on the consoles' IO boost bandwagon.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your points would make complete sense if you weren't using examples of companies using the latest bleeding edge tech for their latest releases vs Sony who have put the price up of ps5 that's 2 years old and has literally had a redesign stripping out even more pcb and heatsink, power draw to the point that the disk drive version now weighs around the same as the launch digital. So Sony is deffo an outlier here 😉
They are not, look at App Store prices for apps and DLC’s… what bleeding edge tech is there? C’mon mate, wake up and look past our preference tinted glasses 🤓.

The ps5 is the cheapest it has been ti manufacture and ship worldwide
How do you know that? The massively and rapidly shifted to increase production volumes in a market where everyone is trying to do the same and you think they are not been gouged by suppliers? That does feel naive ;).

Again, the point is also where the sales are made.
for Sony yet it costs the most it ever has. Can you explain why Sony haven't put the price up in the USA? Please don't say the strong dollar lol 😀
Ok, will not say what everyone already said. Care to explain why Apple did not raise prices on HW in the US only either ;)?

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I'm really angry Jacket Man is dressing up that 4070 as a 4080 12GB. I was excited for the Ampere launch two years ago, but I am thoroughly disgusted with the announcement of Lovelace. DLSS 3 seems fine, but all the other features and things was overshadowed by how Jensen and company are gonna stroke the consumers who can't help themselves, lol.

30 series got such a positive reception but with this announcement it's fully like the 20 series again, maybe even worse.

The ps5 is the cheapest it has been ti manufacture and ship worldwide for Sony yet it costs the most it ever has. Can you explain why Sony haven't put the price up in the USA? Please don't say the strong dollar lol 😀
Consoles are mostly sold at a loss until a little while into the generation. Those companies you mention make crazy high margins on their bleeding edge products.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

I am super curious how this strategy is going to play out for them. Pushing the 40 series while only offering 30 series at value prices. I can but won’t be upgrading my 3080 at these extortive prices. Curious to see if others will. Watch that stock price.

GymWolf

I always find funny those "don't be x shill" comment used to somehow try to discredit any reply to a poor argument.
There's competition in the tech world and if they don't come out with a better product, their competitor will. Lovelace as been rumored for 1 year now, if you bought you card a few month ago well too bad for you.
Also 3090 are sold around 850$ now not 1600$ like a brand new 4090. 3090 will still beat the pricier 4080 in raw performance and you also have more VRAM.
Wait, a 3090 is still more powerfull than a 4080? You mean the 4080 12gb version?

P.s. in europe a 3090 is still 1100-1200 euros, same price (or more) of a 4080 12 gb founders.

P.s.s. if someone know a deal for a 3090 for 850 euros in europe send me a pm please:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Sooooo, for the price of 3 complete ps5 systems without optical drive, you get 1 video card which is useless without all the other stuff you have to buy. Sounds like an excellent deal for slightly nicer graphics 👍

Umm. 90 TF vs. 10 TF. And that's not including RT cores and Tensor cores.

Boy bawang

Dlss 3.0 seems like a game changer. I'm really curious to see how AMD reacts because they are starting to be really late in that regard and without an equivalent to tensor cores, it will be hard to catch up.

Skifi28

Umm. 90 TF vs. 10 TF. And that's not including RT cores and Tensor cores.
The TF numbers seem inflated as fuck once again seeing how a 3090 is 36TF. They're meaningless at this point to make any comparison with anything.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Above psycho? How it is called? Amber heard mode?

That's reserved for 5000 series, build on Turding architecture.

cff121bb1d1e30a6f3b8f870482fbde8.png

OZ9000

Banned
Wait, a 3090 is still more powerfull than a 4080? You mean the 4080 12gb version?

P.s. in europe a 3090 is still 1100-1200 euros, same price (or more) of a 4080 12 gb founders.

P.s.s. if someone know a deal for a 3090 for 850 euros in europe send me a pm please:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Second hand market is your likely bet

winjer

Gold Member
With these prices, even the low end cards like the RTX 4050 will cost around 500 euros.

RTX 4000 is the biggest rip-off in gaming ever. Makes NFTs and Star Citizen look like a great deal.

whyman

My 3070 will have to last another 2 - 3 years. With economy crashing in Europe, electricity prices going crazy and Russians knocking on the door. No way any normal worker can spend this on gaming anymore. They have gone insane thinking that.

tommib

hoping nvidia falls flat on their faces with these prices and the power consumption. in europe these prices are just absurd. paying over 2k euros for what? to play some crossgen games? i'm really glad i switched to console for now, seriously fuck this shit
People are underestimating power consumption. Energy prices are supposed to double in the UK next year. The moment bills start coming you're going to see some people playing multplatform games on their bloody Switch due do performance p/watt. Sounds dramatic and ridiculous but the energy conscious will go there.

winjer

Gold Member

I do. Just look at those prices.
And consider the RTX 4080 12 GB. That is clearly the 4070, but they changed it to 4080 so they can charge even more for it.
This is a scam, but I fear there are a lot of people that will fall for it.

Jayjayhd34

A
People are underestimating power consumption. Energy prices are supposed to double in the UK next year. The moment bills start coming you're going to see some people playing multplatform games on their bloody Switch due do performance p/watt. Sounds dramatic and ridiculous but the energy conscious will go there.
There's new price cap for two years so it's only going up in October for me roughly 40-60 month so not to bad.

Rtx 4090 only draws extra couple of pense than that of the rtx3080 the power difference is pretty much same jump I've recently made getting an rtx3080 and that's only added about £4 to my monthly bill

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
RTX I/O seems to have been silently cancelled. It never made much sense for DirectX IO to use GPU decompressing in the first place. In 2020 Nvidia just wanted to get on the consoles' IO boost bandwagon.
It makes some sense as you have a LOT of compute power available and in many PC’s your GPU VRAM is where most of the data the games uses resides… but yeah without shared memory for CPU and GPU it makes things a bit complex (lots of moving data back and forth).

It is disappointing as CPU data moving and decompressing at those speeds will waste a lot of CPU cores and bandwidth. I do not think we are likely to see HW decompression blocks in all PC’s soon. Maybe yet another example that introducing new features is much much easier in closed box consoles than on PC’s… just for those that would want PC only like systems ;).

Last edited:
Top Bottom