• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

jeremy1456

soldat7 said:
Is Vanillaware working on anything for 360/PS3?

This looks stunning.

Not that we know of.

I suspect they're a pretty small company and can only support one project at a time.

kinggroin

Banned
soldat7 said:
Is Vanillaware working on anything for 360/PS3?

This looks stunning.

Really.

Just going on stills, these are some of the greatest visuals I have ever seen this gen. On the Wii of all paces.

I couldn't imagine what they'd do with HD assets. Here's hoping they spread the love!

lyre

I can already see this game choking just from seeing the shots.

Unless there are really major changes done to the game, it's not going to be anything more than worthless eye-candy.

OMGOGMGMOGMG

2D LIVES!!!

This game is hawt. If it plays like Odins Sphere then so be it. I enjoyed OS quite much, I just didnt like the fact that the framerate sucked ass and multiple characters was too repetitive. It was fun though.

Mohonky

So this is on Wii?

Fuck you guys worrying about a US release, what chances are there this will make Australia?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
For some reason I get the feeling that this game will have shitty gameplay. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Azure J

lyre said:

Unless there are really major changes done to the game, it's not going to be anything more than worthless eye-candy.

Windu said:
For some reason I get the feeling that this game will have shitty gameplay. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Even if you suspect it, please don't say anything more and jinx it for us. ;___;

God, I just need something 2D that plays as good as it looks. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lyre said:

What a seer!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mechar said:
This is the game that will probably force me to finally buy a Wii when it´s beeing released.

Been seeing a lot of posts like these lately. :D

aeolist

Banned
A natural sequel level of gameplay quality increase from Odin Sphere would make this pretty damn fun. Also there will probably be some hands-on previews soon, so we don't have long to wait.

And the teaser was short but I didn't see any slowdown at all. Really interested in this.

I don't like being able to walk through enemies. One of my ONLY gripes with the Holy Grail of Godly 2D also known as "~~~~~**Odin Sphere**~~~~~~" was being able to just pass right through the enemy in the middle of a combo

Hokusai ftw

800px-The_Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa.jpg

here's a link to all the prints in the series...maybe the game will use some others as well.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Marvelous Entertainment USA and XSEED Games Announce Muramasa: The Demon Blade Exclusively for the Wii

Highly anticipated Wii-exclusive Action RPG videogame will be released for the North American market

Torrance, Calif., (October 2, 2008) – Game publishers Marvelous Entertainment USA and XSEED Games announced today that the highly anticipated title, Muramasa: The Demon Blade (known in Japan as “Oboro Muramasa Youtouden”), is currently in development and will be released for the North American market. A unique, highly stylized action RPG (role playing game) videogame, Muramasa: The Demon Blade will ship in North America in 2009, exclusively for the Wii.

“Muramasa: The Demon Blade is an incredibly special title,” stated Yasuhiro Wada, Managing Director of Marvelous Entertainment. “From the team that created the critically acclaimed Odin Sphere, Muramasa features a stunning visual look and palette that will be embraced by gamers world wide. We’re pleased to continue our relationship with XSEED Games to bring such an anticipated title to the massive North American gaming market.”

Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games, shared Mr. Wada’s sentiments. “Gamers are already excited for Muramasa. The game has already been included in many ‘must-have Wii games’ lists. We feel this enthusiasm will only continue to grow as gamers learn more about the mysterious ‘Demon Blades, and have the opportunity to experience the life of a ninja warrior.”

Based on ancient Japanese lore, Murumasa: The Demon Blade plunges players into the mystical Genroku era, ruled by the skilled shogun Tsunayoshi Tokogawa. But this culture is threatened; Tokogawa’s thirst for power leads to a conflict over the enormously powerful, though cursed, Demon Blades. Used in hatred, drenched in blood, the cursed blades condemn those who use them to tragedy, madness, and untimely deaths. As chaos spreads, denizens from the netherworld breach their realm as these malevolent swords summon evil spirits - and the Dragon and Demon Gods as well.

Featuring hand-drawn 2D art reflecting the heritage and tone of the storyline, Muramasa: The Demon Blade transports players into a little known mythology, envisioned by the creators of the critically acclaimed Odin Sphere. Players take on the role of a male ninja or female kunoichi, utilizing their ninja prowess to traverse the clever side-scrolling levels that feature vertical progression as well as the traditional horizontal stage advancement.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade is currently in development by Marvelous Entertainment and Vanillaware exclusively for the Wii, and will be unveiled at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show in Japan (October 9-12). The game will be co-published by Marvelous Entertainment USA and XSEED Games in North America and is expected to ship in 2009.

Marvelous Entertainment Inc.

Marvelous Entertainment is a leading Japanese creator of interactive entertainment with such esteemed franchises as Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Luminous Arc and No More Heroes under their corporate umbrella. More information on Marvelous Entertainment can be found at http://www.mmvus.com.

XSEED Games

XSEED Games was formed in November 2004, by a small group of industry veterans led by president Jun Iwasaki with a common vision; to cross pollinate the avid gaming culture of Japan and North America. Delivering unique, innovative titles across multiple platforms and genres, XSEED Games is dedicated to publishing products that appeal and enrich the North American market. More information on XSEED Games can be found at http://www.xseedgames.com.

Sagitario

Lost Fragment said:
Marvelous Entertainment USA and XSEED Games Announce Muramasa: The Demon Blade Exclusively for the Wii

Highly anticipated Wii-exclusive Action RPG videogame will be released for the North American market

Torrance, Calif., (October 2, 2008) – Game publishers Marvelous Entertainment USA and XSEED Games announced today that the highly anticipated title, Muramasa: The Demon Blade (known in Japan as “Oboro Muramasa Youtouden”), is currently in development and will be released for the North American market. A unique, highly stylized action RPG (role playing game) videogame, Muramasa: The Demon Blade will ship in North America in 2009, exclusively for the Wii.

“Muramasa: The Demon Blade is an incredibly special title,” stated Yasuhiro Wada, Managing Director of Marvelous Entertainment. “From the team that created the critically acclaimed Odin Sphere, Muramasa features a stunning visual look and palette that will be embraced by gamers world wide. We’re pleased to continue our relationship with XSEED Games to bring such an anticipated title to the massive North American gaming market.”

Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games, shared Mr. Wada’s sentiments. “Gamers are already excited for Muramasa. The game has already been included in many ‘must-have Wii games’ lists. We feel this enthusiasm will only continue to grow as gamers learn more about the mysterious ‘Demon Blades, and have the opportunity to experience the life of a ninja warrior.”

Based on ancient Japanese lore, Murumasa: The Demon Blade plunges players into the mystical Genroku era, ruled by the skilled shogun Tsunayoshi Tokogawa. But this culture is threatened; Tokogawa’s thirst for power leads to a conflict over the enormously powerful, though cursed, Demon Blades. Used in hatred, drenched in blood, the cursed blades condemn those who use them to tragedy, madness, and untimely deaths. As chaos spreads, denizens from the netherworld breach their realm as these malevolent swords summon evil spirits - and the Dragon and Demon Gods as well.

Featuring hand-drawn 2D art reflecting the heritage and tone of the storyline, Muramasa: The Demon Blade transports players into a little known mythology, envisioned by the creators of the critically acclaimed Odin Sphere. Players take on the role of a male ninja or female kunoichi, utilizing their ninja prowess to traverse the clever side-scrolling levels that feature vertical progression as well as the traditional horizontal stage advancement.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade is currently in development by Marvelous Entertainment and Vanillaware exclusively for the Wii, and will be unveiled at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show in Japan (October 9-12). The game will be co-published by Marvelous Entertainment USA and XSEED Games in North America and is expected to ship in 2009.

Marvelous Entertainment Inc.

Marvelous Entertainment is a leading Japanese creator of interactive entertainment with such esteemed franchises as Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Luminous Arc and No More Heroes under their corporate umbrella. More information on Marvelous Entertainment can be found at http://www.mmvus.com.

XSEED Games

XSEED Games was formed in November 2004, by a small group of industry veterans led by president Jun Iwasaki with a common vision; to cross pollinate the avid gaming culture of Japan and North America. Delivering unique, innovative titles across multiple platforms and genres, XSEED Games is dedicated to publishing products that appeal and enrich the North American market. More information on XSEED Games can be found at http://www.xseedgames.com.

Great! :D

Y2Kev said:
Very nice! Please don't play at all like Odin Sphere :)

Totally agree. If this game has stylish gameplay to match its visuals we will be in business. I don't want to play another game as frustrating as Odin Sphere.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Y2Kev said:
Very nice! Please don't play at all like Odin Sphere :)
Hey, I liked how Odin Sphere played. It was just far too long for the amount of actual content, which led to a lot of reuse and repetition.

wsippel

Banned
I don't think it'll be all too similar to Odin Sphere. It's supposed to be much more vertical, there'll be a lot more platforming, and only a few screens seem to show the typical circle-levels Odin Sphere used.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Is it just me or was that giant red demon in another picture in the same place, cept the boy was there. I really hope this game doesnt pull something like the repeat areas of Odin Sphere, though two characters is definitely preferable to five.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
HK-47 said:
Is it just me or was that giant red demon in another picture in the same place, cept the boy was there. I really hope this game doesnt pull something like the repeat areas of Odin Sphere, though two characters is definitely preferable to five.
it's probably a recurring character along the lines of those ninjas. the actual bosses probably won't be so recurring.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
HK-47 said:

I am hoping that it is just one complete experience, where they give you the option to play as the male and female form the outset, and then you get to experience the storyline.

because that means I will never play as the male character, even if he looks somewhat interesting

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am hoping that it is just one complete experience, where they give you the option to play as the male and female form the outset, and then you get to experience the storyline.

because that means I will never play as the male character, even if he looks somewhat interesting

Your the guy who always plays as girls in MMOs, arent you =P

Hcoregamer00

doomed1 said:
Hcoregamer00
(Today, 12:10 AM)
Reply | Quote

so basically yes.

Woohoo, someone finally quotes my tag

HK-47 said:
Your the guy who always plays as girls in MMOs, arent you =P

I don't play MMO's, but in Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Portable all my characters are female.

:D

zoku88 said:
The Girl is so cute, can't wait to play as her ^^

whats up with the spaces

but i agree, character looks cool and attacks seem different from the male O;

I wish there was a little more color contrast, actually. Like brighter darker blacks and whiter whites. Maybe that has more to do with the shitty laptop monitor I'm using, though. the okami wallpapers look sooooo much better on my desktop

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
doomed1 said:
it's probably a recurring character along the lines of those ninjas. the actual bosses probably won't be so recurring.
You obviously didn't play Odin Sphere.

duckroll

doomed1 said:

If it doesn't reuse stages and bosses over and over to prolong the game, it's not a Vanillaware game. The best to hope for is that it's only 10 hours, instead of 50.

Top Bottom