• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Plus is live in the US | Sony’s classic PlayStation games on PS Plus are 60hz in North America

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My "essential" sub expires tomorrow. I was able to upgrade to premium today for .40 cents Canadian to take the tour and check it out. I canceled the renewal.
775522.jpg

Smooth.

I genuinely cannot believe this is the selection of PS1/PS2/PSP games. This is a total dog s*** rollout.
What's weird is that...to actually get this bad selection you need to pay the most expensive tier. You'd think they'd go all-in on the catalog of their newly subscription service but no...

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they don't want to give us everything on day one and instead want us to be invested on that Premium tier, so they'll probably add some each month. I could see this looking amazing in 3 years tho...not now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You'd think they'd go all-in on the catalog of their newly subscription service but no...

At least give people a nostalgia shot with the PS One launch titles.

Ridge Racer
Ace Combat
Toshinden

Even the original Rayman

NONE of those would have licensing issues. Namco is already on there with Mr. Driller and Tekken 2, UbiSoft has their section, and SCEA published Toshinden.

Question, I have regular tier but won’t renew until December; I plan on upgrading to the highest Premium tier, will I only have to pay the difference? Or will it charge full price?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Checks US PSN *cough* SEN account.....banned

RIP 100+ purchased PSX and PS3 games *smiles at CFW PS3*

Tries Japanese account ....."error", WTF, finally reset Japanese account

Goes to try ps plus on PC, cannot be used in this region NANI??? whatyearisthis.jpg

*goes to lunch*

Made new US account, add payment opinion, clicks free trial button on PlayStation Plus PC APP.....button does nothing

*remembers why he completely stopped fucking with Playstation five years ago*

Edit* PS PLUS ON PC DOESN'T SUPPORT THE DUALSENSE WTF

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Isa

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
For the PS1 classics that you can't purchase outright on PS4/5, is it possible to go back to the PS3 store, buy them there, and then DL on PS4/5?

Three

It's exactly like regular PS+. Try the service before posting. You click "add to library" just like claiming a PS+ game, and they even send you the confirmation email; just like with PS+.

I've already downloaded AC: Valhalla, GOT, and Ride 4. It works just like PS+.
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying at all. That "add to library" means nothing for a license to a game.

Maybe pictures will help you understand.

Just like PS+ I "added to library" GTA 3 some months ago. Got a confirmation email for this "purchase" and everything:

Screenshot-20220613-193709-Gmail.jpg

The game is in my library like any other except when the game rotated out of the service I now have this little lock icon on the game. Launching it will take me to the game overview with an option to buy it
20220613-194125.jpg

"Add to library" or it appearing in a library list does not equal "play this game as long as you're subscribed". Hope that makes sense to you.

Last edited:
At least give people a nostalgia shot with the PS One launch titles.

Ridge Racer
Ace Combat
Toshinden

Even the original Rayman

NONE of those would have licensing issues. Namco is already on there with Mr. Driller and Tekken 2, UbiSoft has their section, and SCEA published Toshinden.
The first monthly or biweekly or whatever the fuck update to the catalog is going to be very telling as to how this thing is going to go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought it would let you play PSOne games you already owned.

Hot Shots Golf and Oddworld show up as free (promo or maybe former PS+ offerings) but Tekken, Ape Escape, Jumping Flash, Syphon Filter, Wild Arms and Resident Evil all want me to subscribe.
Yeah that’s what has me turned off to this. I don’t need to play a lot of these because I have owned a lot of these digitally already. I played Resident Evil digitally on PS3, so not owning this isn’t a big deal. I have most of the PS1 Classics on PS3/Vita purchased.

I also have Plus, so seeing a lot of this with $9.99 or “Upgrade” is a big turn off. That’s just giving them money to play games I’ve purchased from them digitally already. It’s like they’re trying to be the Nintendo of their classic library. Lock it all down to another subscription model.

I have to wonder if the people running the show have never felt scammed by purchasing multiple retro products from their own company. It’s like their belief in “generations” is at a cost to the consumer regardless of what they buy from their store.

I also wonder if they’ve got anyone working at Sony who still has their old disc copies or their PS3 library available or if this is just a push to make more money? I’d feel stupid paying again for some of these games. I could just play them on my Vita or PS3 again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Faithless83

Banned
Not sure if you made joke out of the music OR the situation. :D

Anyhow, that's awful how bad this is.
Different game version. I would say that I rather have this version, but I get it that people who bought aren't happy.
Fake Fake it's the original Director's Cut with the original music.

Last edited:

yurinka

So in the updated list for the US release now there are:
  • 369* original PS4 or PS5 games (32 of them having both PS4+PS5 versions or a special edition)
  • 450* remaked, remastered or emulated PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita/arcade classics (13 of them having both PS4+PS5 versions or a special edition)
  • So a total of 819* full titles, but they are more because seveal of them are collections
  • 12* full game time-limited trials
* = some titles aren't available in all regions

To add more info, I investigated about PS4 and PS5 missing 1st party games. Seems all PSVR and PlayLink games are missing. And then I made these groups:

PS4 internally developed 1st party
Dead Nation
Dreams
Driveclub *
Gran Turismo Sport *
Hardware Rivals
Knack 2
MLB The Show series *
Ratchet & Clank 2016
Singstar series *
Super Stardust Ultra
The Last of Us 2
The Order

PS4+PS5 crossgen
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Forbidden West
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spider-Man Remastered

PS4(some also in PS3 or Vita) 2nd party indies
CounterSpy
Doki-Doki Universe
Drawn to Death
Erica
Escape Plan
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Fat Princess
Flow
Flower
Helldivers
Hohokum
Journey
Kill Strain
Predator: Hunting Grounds *
Sound Shapes
The Unfinished Swan

Seems that there are many European games that may be added in the European launch, a few turds, then games that are too new or a good bait to add them in following months and many 2nd party indies that I'd bet they gave the IP. With an asterisk I also highlighted those who maybe could have licensing issues (Sony maybe would have to pay more to their licensors to put them here).

Susurrus

For the PS1 classics that you can't purchase outright on PS4/5, is it possible to go back to the PS3 store, buy them there, and then DL on PS4/5?
I don't know about going to purchase stuff on old consoles now, but I already own a few including Resident Evil Director Cut and it doesn't give me the option, still says I have to subscribe. I've only been able to claim Wild Arms, Syphon Filter, and Oddworld without paying or subscribing.

Last edited:
So with the NA offering have Sony hit their numbers goal? Do we have the right number for extra and premium as outlined in the original PlayStation blog post?

I had 10 month of ps now and 10 month of ps plus, now they someone just made it i have 10 month of ps plus premium. I trry chatting with support in how i end up with just 10 month. They jus say read the converion table and cut me off.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I had 10 month of ps now and 10 month of ps plus, now they someone just made it i have 10 month of ps plus premium. I trry chatting with support in how i end up with just 10 month. They jus say read the converion table and cut me off.
Yup that's how it works for everyone. They counted the two as one sub and your expiration date is the later of the two.

sainraja

None of the PS+ library in the past has been removed that I know of but downloading a game to a library can still have a separate license in this setup which behaves differently. So for example when I was downloading PS Now games they went into my regular library but when they were removed from PS Now (for example TLOU2) that specific game in my library had a little lock on it meaning I no longer had a license to play it because it had rotated out of PSNow while I'm still subscribed.

So asking "do you even have the service because it shows in your PS+ library" proves nothing because you wouldnt know until a game rotates out of the extra/premium service whether a lock appears on it. It may be that you can keep playing it forever even when it's no longer on the service but it doesn't mean that's the case simply because it shows in that library. Games can have unique licences. It would kind of be a nightmare for Sony because it would promote mass downloading/claiming of 400 games just in case they leave the service. I don't think that will be how it works. You don't claim games in the Extra/premium library like regular PS+ but more like PS Now I believe.
Gotcha. I will have to play around a little bit myself to see how they might be differentiating games you claim via PS+ vs playing games via Extra/premium — if they are using the same terminology, they will need to fix that quick. So far I have been seeing a 'Premium' label over on games that are part of Extra/Premium.

TrebleShot

In based in the UK and have a US PSN account so have the PS3 Streaming a little go and I am very very impressed they’ve done allot of work on the latency and its very clear and crisp.

Couple of notes it’s limited to 720p for PS3 games. Also if you dl a game on one account you can use it on another for instance I got Syphin filter on my US account and played it on my UK account no issues.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I renewed my PSNow PC in February 2022. Then a couple weeks ago I thought I might be able to get a PS5, so to save money on shipping I bought and renewed a month of Plus. I didn't get the PS5 from PS Direct. I thought the Plus would add onto the PSNow when the switch happened, but it lists both now with a renewal date of February 2023, with the PS Plus/Premium costing $120, and the PSNow at $60. So I fucked up the PSNow at $60 until cancelled, didn't get the PS5, and didn't get the month of Plus converted to Premium.

So they didn't stack the Plus and PSNow, and I changed my membership, so they eliminated my "$60 until cancelled" PSNow. It's all convoluted and sheisty, so I don't know how it will play out, except that I won't renew it next year. No biggie, the selection is poor on PC anyway, especially with Spider-Man, Miles Morales, and Uncharted Collection coming soon. I'll play GoT, Bloodborne, and Infamous SS and call it a wrap.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sooo I thought they just upgraded everyone to everything at one price .. but it seems there are tiers and it’s basically the same as it was unless you upgrade?

What am I missing?

I just upgraded all my ps plus to premium. Are they gonna add more stuff, or am i going to be stuck with whats there, and it will stay the same? I want Metal Gear and Silent Hill.

I thought Daxter on PSP would be available. Does anyone know when it's coming, or if it is even coming to this new service?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Sooo I thought they just upgraded everyone to everything at one price .. but it seems there are tiers and it’s basically the same as it was unless you upgrade?

What am I missing?

It’s horribly marketed and explained.

Like I guess I have PS Plus premium with a sub to 2023, but their website still shows I have a second PS Now sub that will charge on 6/29.

This ps1 selection is worse than the ps classic.

Top Bottom