• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer & anti-reading, no lore fun committee (September 6th)

Illucio

Banned
Not sure if this comparison has been made yet (I haven't seen it, personally), but my husband came up with an interesting theory regarding Type: Null and Zygarde.

09ekloR.png

Type: Null is clearly based on a chimera, likely pieced together from different Pokémon...somehow. Perhaps it was created using other Pokémon's DNA, or cells—y'know, like those Zygarde Cells scattered across Alola. What if Zygarde Cells were used as a base for Type: Null? It does have a very similar body to Zygarde's 10% form... And not only that, but its animations are nearly identical to (but slower than) Zygarde 10%'s animations! It's also genderless (so much for it being the rumored multi-type breeding cat Pokémon), like Zygarde. And what are those green hexagons on its helmet...? Hm...! What does it mean? I don't know! But it's certainly interesting...

Type: Null helmet is Arceus's Cross, but in a smaller/more helmety shape. The point of alchemy is to achieve the power of Azoth aka God aka Arceus. But the hexagons and being made from Zygrade Cell's is definitely possible.

There is so much to this Pokemon it's insane.

The love heart on Jangmo-o is making me vaguely hope it evolves into something pretty/cute but this being pokemon I only really expect ugliness in its future :/

Cutiefly evo 2 is giving me hope but it's fairly common for evos 1 and 2 in a line to be good followed by something that ruins it (e.g. fennekin line, dratini line and while more personal / subjective: ghastly line)

loving the world-building / sense of narrative coming across in all this though.
I wonder if UB-01 is going to be the curious type story where lilli is that disguised as a human or if they're going the more sorrow-based story where she's human and gets irreversibly turned into that later.

SalvaPot

Not sure if this comparison has been made yet (I haven't seen it, personally), but my husband came up with an interesting theory regarding Type: Null and Zygarde.

09ekloR.png

Type: Null is clearly based on a chimera, likely pieced together from different Pokémon...somehow. Perhaps it was created using other Pokémon's DNA, or cells—y'know, like those Zygarde Cells scattered across Alola. What if Zygarde Cells were used as a base for Type: Null? It does have a very similar body to Zygarde's 10% form... And not only that, but its animations are nearly identical to (but slower than) Zygarde 10%'s animations! It's also genderless (so much for it being the rumored multi-type breeding cat Pokémon), like Zygarde. And what are those green hexagons on its helmet...? Hm...! What does it mean? I don't know! But it's certainly interesting...

Ooooh, Natural vs Artificial, I like it!

Sandfox

09ekloR.png

I said this in the other thread, but I think it's actually based on Arceus rather than Zygarde. The first thing that stands out is that they both have the same ring type thing. It's body, name, and typing could be a result of trying to emulate multitype and potentially failing. Type: Null was also seen using Tri Attack in the trailer and that kinda supports this idea.

GoldStarz

Why the flip would they not advertise this???

I've been doing into Sun & Moon thinking it would have limited trainer customization

This is a big deal

I mean they've been showing trainers with a variety of clothes and hairstyles throughout the trailers, it's pretty easy to infer if you pay attention.

Kinsei

Banned
Man, how much would it suck for TPC to have expected all of these twists to be big reveals in-game, only to have everything foiled in one trailer?

If we're right then it will still be a big twist for their target audience (kids).

PK Gaming

I mean they've been showing trainers with a variety of clothes and hairstyles throughout the trailers, it's pretty easy to infer if you pay attention.

Non, non, non, non. That's not how marketing works.

If I've gone this long without realizing that extensive trainer customization is in (i'm struggling to think of reason why this wasn't shown off in one of their trailers...?) then they screwed up. That's on them.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pokémon has officially jumped the shark. Artificial Pokémon? What the fuck is this? Unbelievable. Clearly Gen 1 is the best. All natural-looking Pokémon based on real-life animals. Nothing like an "artificial Pokémon".

This shit is flashing its lights so fast I'm having a seizure.

Just kidding. I'm hyped beyond belief for this game!

If I've gone this long without realizing that extensive trainer customization is in (i'm struggling to think of reason why this wasn't shown off in one of their trailers...?) then they screwed up. That's on them.

Eh. People have been talking about this since the first trailer. It's been there since day one. You don't need a bulletpoint list of all the features in the game.

PK Gaming

Eh. People have been talking about this since the first trailer. It's been there since day one. You don't need a bulletpoint list of all the features in the game.

I went back and watched the first trailer, and yeah I gotta admit I was completely off base. There was a sense that trainer customization was a thing, I just wasn't paying enough attention.

PSYCHE

There was none of that! Keep in mind, i'm not talking about skin tone choices that were confirmed early on, but clothing options. That was a genuine point of contention back when the game was revealed. Heck, I just up and told my friends about clothing options being in on skype and they were all shocked. This wasn't something that was made readily apparent.

There's just no way you can spin that it was. It's not even mentioned on the website.

GoldStarz

Why would they announce an old feature though? It not being present in ORAS hardly makes a pattern and like I said, if you actually took a good look at the character models.

That fucking fraud stole my tweet.

https://twitter.com/forkballmono/status/773151956500045824

DIRECT YOUR CHUCKLES ELSEWHERE

Yes you are definitely the only person in existence who made that connection and then tweeted about it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yes you are definitely the only person in existence who made that connection and then tweeted about it.

The Miyamoto account actually does still popular tweets and makes it his own. That account has even stolen Nibels jokes, his gifs and so on though he has the Miyamoto account blocked.

Fake edit: Basically any joke or image that comes from that account is always stolen from someone elses viral tweet..

Kinsei

Banned
I went back and watched the first trailer, and yeah I gotta admit I was completely off base. There was a sense that trainer customization was a thing, I just wasn't paying enough attention.

PSYCHE

There was none of that! Keep in mind, i'm not talking about skin tone choices that were confirmed early on, but clothing options. That was a genuine point of contention back when the game was revealed. Heck, I just up and told my friends about clothing options being in on skype and they were all shocked. This wasn't something that was made readily apparent.

There's just no way you can spin that it was. It's not even mentioned on the website.

But the main character is wearing two different sets of clothes in the first trailer. It's not GF's fault that you didn't notice.

PK Gaming

Why would they announce an old feature though? It not being present in ORAS hardly makes a pattern and like I said, if you actually took a good look at the character models.

It was one of the best features of XY, and the fact that it wasn't in ORAS is precisely why they should come out and say "this awesome feature from XY is back and better than ever!"

Let's not come up with excuses for that abominable bottom feeder that is the RealMiyamoto Twitter account. He blatantly stole Forkball's tweet instead of retweeting it.

GoldStarz

The Miyamoto account actually does still popular tweets and makes it his own. That account has even stolen Nibels jokes, his gifs and so on though he has the Miyamoto account blocked.

Fake edit: Basically any joke or image that comes from that account is always stolen from someone elses viral tweet..

Let's not come up with excuses for that abominable bottom feeder that is the RealMiyamoto Twitter account. He blatantly stole Forkball's tweet instead of retweeting it.
Ah, I didn't see that they took the same image as well. Yeah, in that case they definitely stole it, which is stupid since it's a pretty obvious joke to make.

I'm pretty pro-everything that this trailer had to offer. A Pokémon Snap-flavored mini-game, UB-01 and Null designs, features unique to each version, Zygarde core and cell gathering, new characters, among them being Team Skull's ゴ Enforcer ゴ, are elements which would all be worthy of their own showcase. Yet another outstanding showing for Sun and Moon. This game even makes the prospect of catching a Rattata exciting.

JoeM86

I'm really loving this gen and these games so far. Just when I think "we know too much", it slaps us with something like this which makes us think "we know nothing"

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The only thing I'm iffy about are the traditional 8 gym leader replacement designs. I've loved a ton in each gen, but so far Hala and the kids+Grant on fire aren't doing much for me; hopefully the rest are awesome.

Piers

Type: Null helmet is Arceus's Cross, but in a smaller/more helmety shape. The point of alchemy is to achieve the power of Azoth aka God aka Arceus. But the hexagons and being made from Zygrade Cell's is definitely possible.

There is so much to this Pokemon it's insane.

I like some of the theories (admittedly read from YT comments) that the foundation — assuming it was them, created Type: Null and others like it in order to prepare for the looming threat of Ultra Beasts.
It's a sort of twisted form of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Doubly-so if your idea that some of Arceus' being implemented holds true.

Neiteio

You guys remember the rumor with Grass/Ghost Alolan Parasect, Fire Alolan Grimer/Muk, Water/Poison Alolan Ekans/Arbok, Fighting/Ground Alolan Doduo/Dodrio, Fairy/Rock Alolan Rapidash, Ground Alolan Staryu/Starmie, etc? Also mentioned a Rock/Fire tiki totem Pokémon and a pure Ground snake Pokémon?

Where do we stand on that rumor right now?

I said this in the other thread, but I think it's actually based on Arceus rather than Zygarde. The first thing that stands out is that they both have the same ring type thing. It's body, name, and typing could be a result of trying to emulate multitype and potentially failing. Type: Null was also seen using Tri Attack in the trailer and that kinda supports this idea.
The fact the lore on the official site says: "To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology."

Zygarde seems a bit well known for it to be mythology and I was wondering if mythology=mythical.

The text also makes me wonder if unmasked Type:Null already attempted it's mission and the lore also says "...was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation." which isn't really what you would expect from a normal type...unless you could change it's type (but then again it's ability isn't multitype...maybe there is an unmasked forme with that).

Of course this also makes me think why does Team skulls enforcer have this?

TrueBlue

I'd love to see the Kanto starters get Alola forms.

Honestly, the idea of regional forms is really clever. It reflects the different species of the real world and gives the designers a chance to come up with some cool new takes. I hope to see ot become a mainstay in the future.

Sandfox

Well if you combine other things people have been speculating, like Aether Foundation being behind the creation of Type:Null and possibly even Gladion being related to Lusamine(and Lillie), it reasonable to speculate that he either took it or was kicked out of the group and ended up with the misfits/outcasts that make up Team Skull.

I had a dream about Pokémon. I haven't dreamt about Pokémon in twenty years. It is all coming full circle.

One of the dreams I always remember from being a kid is standing on a high stone platform in a cavern full of lava. Think the area just preceding the Fire Temple in Ocarina of Time. The platform was shaped like a Y, with me at the bottom stem, a 1st Editon Charizard card on the left fork, and my parents and sister in a cage at the end of the right fork. And a voice laughed and said I could only save one of them, and I remember thinking to myself in complete earnest terror that "there must be some way I can save both..."

My dream last night was far tamer, though. I dreamt I was playing Moon and I entered a gloomy woods and found a low level Ursaring, and I interpreted this in a couple ways:

1. That it was cool to find a sort of unsung Gen II Pokémon in the wild. I liked the diversity of the Pokédex.

2. There must be something about the area that makes Pokémon evolve prematurely, resulting in wild Pokémon in evolved forms at lower levels than is typically possible. And I thought this was a cool gimmick.

All of this just brings me back to being happy to be excited about a Pokémon game again. I tend to take breaks and skip generations because Pokémon stops holding my attention. After XY, I thought something really drastic would have to happen for me to get back into the series. And then Sun and Moon comes along and it's like "I have seen your heart and it is mine."

Dude, you can't leave us hanging like that.

For as vividly I remember the set up of that dream, I don't really remember what happened. I think I woke up because it was too stressful to make the decision. The dreams I remember forever are the one I have just before I wake up, so they're usually cut short.

You'll have to imagine my heroics yourself. Although, spoilers,
I most likely die in every outcome.

I agree. I think the most we'll ever learn about why Type: Null looks weird is because "it was designed to use the best parts possible".

"You sure look weird, Type: Null."

-"Where I come from, you are the weird one!"

[*studio audience laughs*]

"Hey, that's not funny!"

-"You're right, Human. You are the funny one..."

"Gee, thanks Type: Null."

-"...but looks aren't everything!"

[*studio audience just loses it; commercial break*]

"You sure look weird, Type: Null."

-"Where I come from, you are the weird one!"

[*studio audience laughs*]

"Hey, that's not funny!"

-"You're right, Human. You are the funny one..."

"Gee, thanks Type: Null."

-"...but looks aren't everything!"

[*studio audience just loses it; commercial break*]
Type: New Roommates

Dekuboy

Neo Member
What about Hau.

Hau will probably have the role auf shauna/belle. Having the starter that is weak to yours, is your friend and don´t want to compete with you. Or we won´t get another rival and one starter will left alone like in Gen 1 - 3

Dragoshi1

The fact the lore on the official site says: "To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology."

Zygarde seems a bit well known for it to be mythology and I was wondering if mythology=mythical.

The text also makes me wonder if unmasked Type:Null already attempted it's mission and the lore also says "...was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation." which isn't really what you would expect from a normal type...unless you could change it's type (but then again it's ability isn't multitype...maybe there is an unmasked forme with that).

Zygarde is a legendary Pokemon, Arceus is a mythical Pokemon. Mythical Pokemon are on the level of Mew and Arceus than Mewtwo and Zygarde, for example.

So Arceus being the Pokemon that needs to be beat by Null is super likely. Either that, or it's a brand new event mythical Pokemon not shown yet.

Top Bottom