• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer & anti-reading, no lore fun committee (September 6th)

For those still clinging to the Alola Arcanine BS rumour, Famitsu has finally shot it down.

In its article, it showed all the previous Pokémon (including Arcanine) listed on the official site with this paragraph

The Alola Region, in addition to the newly discovered Pokémon and Alolan Forms, is also home to many [familiar] Pokémon. A selection of these are introduced below. This line up will be familiar to fans, but pay attention to the refreshed Pokedex entries. You may find some shocking facts are revealed!

I mean I sure hope people see the light this time. Sheesh.

Well, I'm not going to call it Pokemon Snap yet because there may not be any grading system because it would be awesome if I could take a lot of pictures at certain locations, then bring the pictures to Photographer Master, and having them grade my pictures.

I need to know more about this feature.

I think it's really promising! It unfortunately looks like you can only do it in certain spots or something :/

I would prefer that, but I highly doubt it.

I would honestly prefer the old way with version exclusives. It actually makes you trade with someone, and I also think it injects a little life into the "version rivalry."

Plus with this time shift its literally just doing something that people could already have done (i.e. change their clocks to play at a different time from their irl time). So ultimately people will have to be changing their clocks to get Pokemon anyway if they aren't willing to wait.

This has probably been talked about but I wonder if the Totem Pokemon in Sun will be Gen 7 Pokemon, while the ones in Moon will be Alola forms.

We need an even taller Totem Alolan Exeggutor to replace Lurantis on Akala.

OK, you're all going to laugh at me but I don't care.

So I had a feeling about Type: Null's design and then I looked up chimeras and saw that they actually have more than one head. What if the mask hides more than one face?

I did a poor MS Paint mockup of what I see in the design.

gFJ9Oav.png

The top part of the design could be a bird's head, with the line covered by the mask being an eye and the front being a beak. What if an aspect of the design is that Type: Null is linked to the legendary birds, like a Normal-type counterpart to Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres? The name alludes to the number 'zero' just as the legendary bird names refer to 'one', 'two' and 'three'. Tri Attack is related to the three elements of the legendary birds.

From what I remember, the alchemy lore stuff appears more from Generation III onwards (OTH in the Regi heads, etc.). What if the idea of Type: Null is to retrospectively drag the legendary birds and legendary beasts from Generation I and II into the overarching plotline they have going on?

Phu

Banned
The top part of the design could be a bird's head, with the line covered by the mask being an eye and the front being a beak. What if an aspect of the design is that Type: Null is linked to the legendary birds, like a Normal-type counterpart to Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres? The name alludes to the number 'zero' just as the legendary bird names refer to 'one', 'two' and 'three'. Tri Attack is related to the three elements of the legendary birds.

From what I remember, the alchemy lore stuff appears more from Generation III onwards (OTH in the Regi heads, etc.). What if the idea of Type: Null is to retrospectively drag the legendary birds and legendary beasts from Generation I and II into the overarching plotline they have going on?

I think this part falls apart because in Japanese the birds are named after their elements only, no numbers.

Kyzer

Banned
I had X and used Skrelp/Dragalge in my playthrough. Pretty crazy, eh?

no way dude you can trade in pokemon? lol

howd you do that for yveltal tho?

either way obviously the point is to be able to do that without any other requirements (online, having something to give in exchange, breeding if i want my own OT, etc.). Also, if its one of the main differences between versions, doesn't it make sense that people would choose versions based on it? GTS exists but also both versions having all the pokemon would lose one of the reasons for trade

pretty much theres

Version Exclusives
Starters
One-Off /Regional Pokemon
Pokemon that need to trade to be evolved
Legendaries
Mythicals & Events

Dunno why people are seeing tri attack as something special. Whenever I see tri attack I think porygon

I guess it is special, just in that it's a really odd move that few Pokemon have access to. But it makes perfect sense for Null.

I'm assuming Null was created by Aether to fight against the Ultra Beasts, then maybe Gladion and Null defected because they realized the UBs aren't evil or something? Aether doesn't really seem evil to me, but they do seem like they could be misguided (especially if they cooked up Null).

Basically

Aether = Protecting Pokemon and Alola (particularly from UBs) at all costs, even if it means doing some fucked up shit.

Skull = Does whatever the fuck they want, but generally have a beef with Kukui and/or Aether.

Player = Maybe trying to collect Zygarde cells to fight the UBs? I'm guessing Zygarde 100% will be protecting earth against the Aurum UBs and then hooray everyone finds out they aren't bad after all and we all become friends.

NeonZ

I don't know why version exclusives even exist anymore when the GTS exists. It shouldn't affect what game you want to buy anymore.

MegaStones were still an issue in gen 6, and could be an issue again. There's also the Z Crystals now which could end up with version exclusives too.

I'm quite impressed with the level of diversity in the NPCs, there's all sorts of skin tones and body shapes. For all the talk of Japan struggling between appealing to insiders or outsiders in its media, Pokemon seems to be genuinely reaching out to the international audience from the development stage 1, perhaps that is why the games continue to do well.

Top Bottom