• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 ad features FFXVI, says exclusive for at least six months.

ManaByte

Fg90m8rUAAA3Fta

So six months for the PC version.

Draugoth

Gold Member
final-fantasy-xvi1.jpg

Fg94cqNXwAMWYYj

Final Fantasy 16 will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive for at least six months after its summer 2023 release.

That’s according to a new marketing video published by Sony on Monday, which features FF16 footage along with the disclaimer: “Final Fantasy 16 is anticipated summer 2023. PS5 exclusive for six months.”

The confirmation potentially paves the way for a PC port of Final Fantasy 16 in 2024. To date, the title has only been announced for PlayStation 5.

Curiously, the game’s 2020 reveal trailer did mention a PC version, but this reference was removed from later versions of the video.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's not surprising, considering the way ff7r was.
It would sell like 5m on ps5, which promotes Square to make their next ff games timed exclusives to ps5 again.
5m on ps5 would be great but don't think it's going to get to that based off historical attach rates.

Maybe ff16 is bigger than ff7r?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony is treating FF as a first-party title for quite some time now. I think the game will launch on PS5 and port to PC 12 months later. Not coming to Xbox ever, I think.

I think Sony is also gonna treat the KOTOR remake the same way: exclusive launch on PS5, to be ported on PC later like first-party games. No Xbox.

feynoob

5m on ps5 would be great but don't think it's going to get to that based off historical attach rates.

Maybe ff16 is bigger than ff7r?
5m is little bit stretch on my part, but expect it to do huge numbers. Since it's a new mainline.

GenericUser

I moved to xbox as my main platform after microsoft aquired bethesda and call of duty. So if it comes to xbox 6 month after release, I think I can wait. Would be great, I like having all games on one platform to avoid switching controllers and dealing with the different quirks of each consoles' ui.

Last edited:
That is what Sony can do, yet MS is incapable of doing it, like dumb guys.
I'd like to know how much Sony is dishing out for exclusivity. It's got to be enough to make it worth Square's while. So much that it's worth leaving out an entire platform presumably indefinitely.

winjer

Gold Member
Sony should just buy Square Enix.
In fact they should have bought it, before they sold all those studios and IP to Embracer Group.

TrueLegend

Yep. No point restricting access to xbox and pc gamers. Capcom has realized and soon Square Enix will too that a lot of people now play on pc now and then there is steam deck. PC as a platform is also critical for preservation and this title will shine for years to come from the looks of it. I am really really rooting for this game to move the series forward in a meaningful way. Sure I love FF Remakes but the graphics card of today are made for FF series more than anything.

Kokoloko85

holding 3rd party titles hostage is so lame.

Like Beyonetta 3, Triangle theory, Octopath traveler, The medium, Scorn, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Titanfall right?

Ill edit this to make it simple for some of you:

Scorn released on Xbox Series 14 October 2022
Crossfire X released on Xbox 10th February 2022
The Medium released on Xbox series 28th January 2021

All 3rd party exclusives for Xbox….
Plus: Warhammer Darktide, STALKER 2, High on Life, Valheim, ARk 2, Contraband, ExoMecha. And thanks to Snake for reminding me

Hendrick's Hendrick's educate your people buddy.

Just a few Switch 3rd party exclusives
Beyonetta 3: Recent 3rd party exclusive
SMT 5 came out on Switch 11 November 2021
Triangle Strategy came out March 4. A SquareEnix title ( 3rd party )

Last edited:

feynoob

Like hell MS is incapable of doing it. Watch the "not E3" MS showcase this summer - pretty much every third-party game was "console launch exclusive".
Those games aren't on the same grade as Sony exclusives.
Even their own timed exclusives is like 6 months. While ff7r isn't even on xbox after 2020 release.

MS position doesn't offer them those lucrative deals.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Waiting for PC release + Steam availability + PC version fixes + Complete Edition + 75% discount.

Should take me to 2025 easily.
Yeah bro, unless FFXVI turns out to be the best game ever I think I'll be in the same train as you.

Darsxx82

It's as easy as the media and press pressing and asking Sony and Square for clarification of the terms as we saw in the days of Tomb Raider and the temporary exclusivity with Xbox. The reality is that they don't show the same impetus when MS doesn't.

As said above, it is clear that Sony has taken the strategy of linking the FF franchise to PlayStation and does so using its position of dominance in the market.

The possibility of an Xbox console version is reduced to a Gamepass release when the generation is ending and nobody cares anymore.

feynoob

It's as easy as the media and press pressing and asking Sony and Square for clarification of the terms as we saw in the days of Tomb Raider and the temporary exclusivity with Xbox. The reality is that they don't show the same impetus when MS doesn't.

As said above, it is clear that Sony has taken the strategy of linking the FF franchise to PlayStation and does so using its position of dominance in the market.

The possibility of an Xbox console version is reduced to a Gamepass release when the generation is ending and nobody cares anymore.
This strategy is effectively cutting down Ff fans on xbox. Which means, once those games drop on xbox, it would sell less copies. And that would give square reasons to skip xbox.

Its evil, but genius tactic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom