• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil DS pictures

Khalid-S

20050913_05_07.jpg
20050913_05_07.jpg
20050913_05_09.jpg

20050913_05_11.jpg
20050913_05_10.jpg
20050913_05_04.jpg

20050913_05_02.jpg
20050913_05_03.jpg
20050913_05_05.jpg

Some of them are new to me.

http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/news/20050913_05.html

Stevek211

Billy Rygar said:
Its true. you are the only person who buys games anymore.

Only person that buys DS games over here. I'll put this game on a flash cart once it comes out :p

I was simply asking why do they keep remaking this one?

Stevek211 said:
Only person that buys DS games over here. I'll put this game on a flash cart once it comes out :p

I was simply asking why do they keep remaking this one?
Sales ($$$$$$$). At least they are putting new functionality into it. Could be cool. We'll see.

Skin

I thought the original idea behind Resident Evil was to scare you... All thats left now is the cheesy dialogue. Or they've cut that out as well so it could fit on a DS cart. This is just a waste of recources.

123rl

I doubt I'd buy it again (three different versions is enough) but that doesn't look too bad. Fine for the DS but dated compared to anything else

Deku

Banned
It really comes down to the new functionality.

If this was on the PSP, it'd just be a port of the GC ReMake but I doubt even the UMD could fit all the pre-rendered art. And it wouldn't work very well as it'd just be a portable version of a home game with half the creepiness of the small screen.

If Capcom can reenvision Biohazard for the DS, i might buy it. Especially if it seems like parts of the game might be full blown 3D.

123rl

Kulock said:
20050913_05_11.jpg

If I'm looking at that screenshot right, you'll sometimes have to wipe blood off of the touchscreen to be able to see?

That's exactly what you do. Which, IMO, sounds stupid...getting attacked by zombies, three bullets left, no health and on critical and...wtf I have to wipe the screen to see what's going to kill me? No thanks

Vieo

Mallrat83 said:
Chris looks like he's eating a zombie in one of the pics.

I don't think that's a zombie. Remember that guy who got bit by the snake? He's probably either leaning over him to talk or giving him mount-to-mouth to keep him alive.

Vieo said:
I don't think that's a zombie. Remeber that guy who got bit by the snake? He's probably either leaning over him to talk or giving him mount-to-mouth to keep him alive.

"RIIICHARD.... WHA HAPPEN??"

"TEWIBLE DEMONS, etc."

Varian

123rl said:
That's exactly what you do. Which, IMO, sounds stupid...getting attacked by zombies, three bullets left, no health and on critical and...wtf I have to wipe the screen to see what's going to kill me? No thanks
Sounds pretty schlocky, which could be a good thing for the series.

Vieo said:
I don't think that's a zombie. Remember that guy who got bit by the snake? He's probably either leaning over him to talk or giving him mount-to-mouth to keep him alive.

OMG spoiler...

*Cancles Preorder*

Satter

Banned
Billy Rygar said:
Sales ($$$$$$$). At least they are putting new functionality into it. Could be cool. We'll see.

I would've much rather have a whole new RE with new functionality.

ikalugar

This is very ugly. I assume it has the unplayable controls of the first few games in this series being that it is a staight port? I'll pass.

Jeff-DSA

ikalugar said:
This is very ugly. I assume it has the unplayable controls of the first few games in this series being that it is a staight port? I'll pass.

This is far from ugly; and no, it's not a straight port. You can tell that by these screenshots alone.

Mallrat83

Banned
ikalugar said:
How can it be a straight port if the backgrounds are real time 3d now?

ikalugar

Thats why I was asking, I thought people said it was a port, but I guess with touch screen and stuff it can't be direct, and yes it is a very ugly game.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
it's not a port with added touch screen functions.

RE1 on the PS was completely prerendered. This is completely 3D.

At that size it looks pretty decent actually. I hope they add a whole bunch of extra stuff. It would be a nice title to have on the go.

FoneBone

GaimeGuy said:
it's not a port with added touch screen functions.

RE1 on the PS was completely prerendered. This is completely 3D.
I don't know... it's tough to tell for sure, but those backgrounds still look prerendered to me.

Mallrat83

Banned
FoneBone said:
I don't know... it's tough to tell for sure, but those backgrounds still look prerendered to me.
It'd be hard to have the camera switch to first person views like in the above pics, or zoom in on whatever it is Chris is doing to whatever is on the ground with prerendered backgrounds. Damn near impossible and unlikely.

SantaC

one argument that it might not be pre-rendered is that pre-rendered backgrounds uses more space. We all know that the DS cards don't hold a lot.

Mallrat83

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
one argument that it might not be pre-rendered is that pre-rendered backgrounds uses more space. We all know that the DS cards don't hold a lot.
FYI, they can hold more than a N64 cartridge and the N64 was home to a damn fine port of Resident Evil 2.

fresquito

Is it that hard to accept this is 3D? it´s not like the pics show RE4 quality graphics... This graphics have already been surpased in some N64 games, such as JFG or PD, at least in terms of details and polys.

Deku

Banned
20050913_05_07.jpg

Or it could just be a new first person pre-rendered perspective where the camera stays static and the player plays in first person mode.

It's quite possible all the backgrounds are pre-rendered but its not like Biohazard required a lot of characters on screen and modeling the interior of the mansion would mostly be geometric squares and rectangles with textures on them, so its technically feasable IMO. we'll have to see it in action to know for sure.

its obvious that, in certain areas of the mansion (long hallways like the one pictured), the 2nd screen switches to a FPS perspective. Its probably just a minigame like the record player shown. Its even more obvious that those backgrounds are prerendered.

Skin said:
I thought the original idea behind Resident Evil was to scare you... All thats left now is the cheesy dialogue. Or they've cut that out as well so it could fit on a DS cart. This is just a waste of recources.
SantaCruZer said:
RE2, one of the few N64 games with a 64 megabyte cart, kept the original audio and video. There are already about a dozen DS games using a 64 megabyte cart. So I'd guess there won't be a problem there.

Deku said:
If this was on the PSP, it'd just be a port of the GC ReMake but I doubt even the UMD could fit all the pre-rendered art.
A double layer UMD can fit more data than a GameCube Optical Disc. So as long as it was a 2 UMD game, it should be fine.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
JoshuaJSlone said:
RE2, one of the few N64 games with a 64 megabyte cart, kept the original audio and video. There are already about a dozen DS games using a 64 megabyte cart. So I'd guess there won't be a problem there.

A double layer UMD can fit more data than a GameCube Optical Disc. So as long as it was a 2 UMD game, it should be fine.
assuming there was no more than 300MB of data on the second disk...

KurowaSan

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/residentevilds/news_6131841.html
One of the biggest additions in the game is a feature called "knife battle," in which the screen suddenly changes to a first-person view when the player walks through a door with enemies waiting on the other side. When knife battle is engaged, gamers will have to wield their blade and immediately take on zombies, hunters, or whatever else waits for them.

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...=http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/news/20050913_05.html
he first ' biohazard ' you re-display the world, renovating the character model and motion etc. in for DS!
The new element battle which used the touch screen. When it passes by the door, this battle which happens suddenly. The air does not come out! !

i really doubt backgrounds are in real time. the famitsu scan didn't say anything about that. Those knife battles sound like RE Gaiden system to me, i don't think you can move in first person view, and they only happen sometimes, not whenever you want.

i guess these two images don't prove anything but...

reds38wg.gif

reds44st.gif

the gifs change from psx to ds screenshots.

Top Bottom