• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil DS pictures

zooL

Awwww man. Not this discussion again. Just look at the screens. The backgrounds are NOT real-time. Is it that hard to accept or are some of you just blind?

There might be a small possibility that they are 3D in the final game, but at this point they certainly aren't.

Link316

Banned
those 1st person screens remind me of,

regaiden_screen002.jpg
regaiden_screen003.jpg
regaiden_screen005.jpg
residentevilgaiden_screen019.jpg

As long as they are adding many things to differentiate it from the original versions, I wonder why they didn't go with backgrounds based on the GCN version?

JoshuaJSlone said:
As long as they are adding many things to differentiate it from the original versions, I wonder why they didn't go with backgrounds based on the GCN version?

Probably because those were higher res with more advanced video loops and lighting aka much more work needed.

Miburou

KurowaSan said:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/residentevilds/news_6131841.html

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...=http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/news/20050913_05.html

i really doubt backgrounds are in real time. the famitsu scan didn't say anything about that. Those knife battles sound like RE Gaiden system to me, i don't think you can move in first person view, and they only happen sometimes, not whenever you want.

i guess these two images don't prove anything but...

reds38wg.gif

reds44st.gif

the gifs change from psx to ds screenshots.

I think they do prove that the bgs are prerendered. It would be a pretty damn big coincidence if the screenshots of the DS version's real-time backgrounds just happened to be from the exact same angle as the PS1's prerendered ones. I'm a bit surprised though why they're so pixely on the DS.

Resident Evil DS pics looks alot like the Saturn verison of Resident Evil then the PSX version of Resodent Evil. The color especially has that bright look that the Satrun version. The PS1 had a darker color to Resident Evil.

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
I'm a bit surprised though why they're so pixely on the DS.
Lower rez display + blown up comparison shots = mega pixelization

sonic4ever said:
Resident Evil DS pics looks alot like the Saturn verison of Resident Evil then the PSX version of Resodent Evil. The color especially has that bright look that the Satrun version. The PS1 had a darker color to Resident Evil.
Agreed. it looks like the Saturn version with remodeled characters almost. Maybe Capcom hired Nextech to code the engine?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Probably because those were higher res with more advanced video loops and lighting aka much more work needed.
So stop most of the animation, ignore the advanced lighting, and resize or rerender if necessary. 1996 real-time 3D may not be pretty anymore, but at least there are technical excuses for that.

Perhaps it is more to do with the cohesiveness of the look. Like, PS1 version characters over GCN version backgrounds would seem off.

KurowaSan

JoshuaJSlone said:
So stop most of the animation, ignore the advanced lighting, and resize or rerender if necessary. 1996 real-time 3D may not be pretty anymore, but at least there are technical excuses for that.

Perhaps it is more to do with the cohesiveness of the look. Like, PS1 version characters over GCN version backgrounds would seem off.

yeah, that's probably the case. even if they managed to use the GC backgrounds in the game, you still have to make models that look ok in those backgrounds; even re3 models would seem off as you say, taking into account that they'd also need to put like 4 or 5 zombies at the same time, i don't think nds can pull out models much better than those in re3.

Zeo

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
I honestly don't know how somebody could go from the gorgeous GCN REmake to that DS REmake of the game.

Some people still like the original more (although I can't see why myself).

cvxfreak

The Saturn version actually had the highest-res backgrounds of the whole RE1/non-remake series, but the worst character models, hence the odd look overall. I'm, as of right now, less concerned with the graphics and more concerned about Capcom potentially redoing the voice acting (pfft), animations, adding the Saturn extras and keeping the FMV in.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
doesn't look bad. certaqinly doesn't look good.

if its not pre-rendered BGs then it should have been. if it is.. whats the point

Top Bottom