• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Screenshots (by DeadEndThrills)

ron_bato

I know I said I wouldn't buy this day 1 but the hype is getting to me lol.

I know if I wait a few months, it'll probably go down by around 20-30 bucks, but damn it I've had no single player games to play for the past few months.

Soooooooooooooooo.. I might just.. bite. The team deserves the support too, so I might just go all in on day 1.

I've got a question though, I'll be travelling a bit next week and might not have a consistent connection online, will this game's DRM be some sort of always online DRM? Or will I just need to connect once, and then I can go play offline? I'm not sure if that info is out there, but if anybody could help out, that would help me out a bit. Thank you!

Noobcraft

I know I said I wouldn't buy this day 1 but the hype is getting to me lol.

I know if I wait a few months, it'll probably go down by around 20-30 bucks, but damn it I've had no single player games to play for the past few months.

Soooooooooooooooo.. I might just.. bite. The team deserves the support too, so I might just go all in on day 1.

I've got a question though, I'll be travelling a bit next week and might not have a consistent connection online, will this game's DRM be some sort of always online DRM? Or will I just need to connect once, and then I can go play offline? I'm not sure if that info is out there, but if anybody could help out, that would help me out a bit. Thank you!
You can probably get a code for $30 in the BST thread. I really enjoyed my time with the game, and it's definitely better than the first one (I didn't even finish the first game). I think it took me 26 hours to finish ROTR and I felt like my purchase ($48) was more than justified. It's a really good game.

ron_bato

You can probably get a code for $30 in the BST thread. I really enjoyed my time with the game, and it's definitely better than the first one (I didn't even finish the first game). I think it took me 26 hours to finish ROTR and I felt like my purchase ($48) was more than justified. It's a really good game.

Thanks for the tip, will definitely check the thread out.

seems alot of people bash the xbox one version, but I actually just started this game on the xbox one and...man...this has to be one of the prettiest games from last year. I'm blown away at some of what this game is doing...and there are certain parts (like during the blizzard) that the game looked literally real.

I don't get the hate.

NeoRaider

tumblr_o1kmrd830a1qkq7tbo1_1280.png

O.O

ethomaz

Banned
Any work about the input delay? That is what killed the game on Xbone.

seems alot of people bash the xbox one version, but I actually just started this game on the xbox one and...man...this has to be one of the prettiest games from last year. I'm blown away at some of what this game is doing...and there are certain parts (like during the blizzard) that the game looked literally real.

I don't get the hate.
People bash the Xbone version due it input delay not existent in 360 version or any 2013 version.
There is nothing to do with the art.
Aim with some guns is almost impossible with the input delay... that makes the gameplay on Xbone flawed.

dLMN8R

Any work about the input delay? That is what killed the game on Xbone.

People bash the Xbone version due it input delay not existent in 360 version or any 2013 version.
Aim with some guns is almost impossible with the input delay... that makes the gameplay on Xbone flawed.

There's some input lag, but you're tremendously exaggerating its impact. I had no problem playing and completing the game even before I got upgrades which enhanced my auto aim.

You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. It's not entirely clear what the deal is with Denuvo and online, but if it does do any sort of online check-ins beyond the initial activation (whether this happens at all is very unclear at this point), they aren't overly egregious. If they were, there'd be a heck of a lot more screaming about Denuvo than there is.

ghibli99

100%'d this on XB1. Easily my favorite game on that system. If it wasn't for the wonderful out-of-nowhere surprise that Undertale was (vs. the refined, beautiful goodness of RotTR), it would have been my GOTY.

deeptech

O5r_CThi.jpg

1st mod guaranteed

Hopefully it won't be needed. TR 2013 was such a letdown with costumes, i think there were like few and idk if they were DLC or not.
I remember having fun with unlocking bunch of new costumes in Legend and Anniversary, the variety was amazing

what the hell are you talking about? I get 0 delay. Aiming is fine

Spazznid

Oh, I guess that outfit isn't already in the game then?

IIRC costume modding in TR2013 was super limited; you could replace textures but not much else. If this uses Denuvo (as I'm convinced it will, at this point), it'll be that much more restrictive.

There are mods aplenty for MGSV. That uses Denuvo as well...

ethomaz

Banned
There's some input lag, but you're tremendously exaggerating its impact. I had no problem playing and completing the game even before I got upgrades which enhanced my auto aim.
I'm not exaggerating lol
Play TR 2013 or the new one on 360 and play it after on Xbone.
The input lag is atrocious.
And the guy asked why people bash the Xbone version... that is the only thing people say bad about the game on Xbone.

what the hell are you talking about? I get 0 delay. Aiming is fine
Only if you are lying lol

ethomaz

Banned
But Im not lying. im not getting any input lag and aiming is fine. what the hell are you talking about?

i can just say you're lying. works the same
I can prove lol
It is confirmed already... the game have a big input lag compared with previous versions or 360 version.

DigitalFoundry said:
Input latency: One issue we struggled with throughout the game is its input latency. Prior to receiving the game, we spent some time revisiting Tomb Raider on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 and found that Rise of the Tomb Raider feels less responsive. Aiming is more cumbersome and difficult here to the point where it feels more as if you're pushing the camera rather than directly controlling it. It's not an issue during exploration or puzzle solving, but combat suffers.

DigitalFoundry said:
In fact, there is a strong argument that in one sense at least, the Xbox 360 game is actually more playable than its current-gen sibling. On Xbox One, we complained about input latency and its impact on the game experience. It's not unlike Killzone 2 or the initial release of Uncharted 3 - there's just enough latency there to make aiming mildly frustrating at times. Moving to Xbox 360, we were stunned to discover that this same issue does not exist on Microsoft's older console to anything like the same extent.

In fact, Rise of the Tomb Raider feels significantly more responsive here on Xbox 360. Pulling off headshots and manipulating the camera is a joy and the entire game feels more satisfying to play. So we decided to pop in copies of Tomb Raider 2013 on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 only to discover that these versions feel similar to the last-gen sequel. We're certainly hoping that Crystal Dynamics can sort out this issue on Xbox One in the future but right now, for Xbox 360 owners, there is nothing to worry about.

Some example...

mccZrLw.gif

I can prove lol
It is confirmed already... the game have a big input lag compared with previous versions or 360 version.

ok but im not getting any lag. i aim at something and it goes right to it. im sorry if you cant understand this.

i literally teated it out just now and i get no lag when moving around and aiming the camera

ethomaz

Banned
you dont have to believe me, if i cared to make a video i would but its not that serious.
Let't try in another way.

Input lag exists in all games... there is a delay between you hit the button on controller to when it shows in your TV because it needs cross the patch between controller and console, the console needs to process it and finally the TV needs to process it to display what you did.

There is no suck thing like 0 delay or anything like... every game have input lag... no exception.

In the case of Xbone version of the new Tomb Raider the input lag is bigger enough to annoy most players in the combat scenes because the weird issues on aiming... not everybody fells the same because you know people are different and some are more sensible to input lag than others.

The same didn't happens with 360 version that have the input lag like previous versions or others good input lag games... so it is an issue only on Xbone.

I hope they fix it on PC.

i didnt feel like typing out input with lag on my phone as we are obviously talking about input lag and that shouldnt be hard to figure out. smh
Typing on phones has input lag just not enough to annoy anybody (well sometimes it annoy).
But I won't enter in this discussion.

Let't try in another way.

Input lag exists in all games... there is a delay between you hit the button on controller to when it shows in your TV because it needs cross the patch between controller and console, the console needs to process it and finally the TV needs to process it to display what you did.

There is no suck thing like 0 delay or anything like... every game have input lag... no exception.

In the case of Xbone version of the new Tomb Raider the input lag is bigger enough to annoy most players in the combat scenes because the weird issues on aiming... not everybody fells the same because you know people are different and some are more sensible to input lag than others.

The same didn't happens with 360 version that have the input lag like previous versions or others good input lag games... so it is an issue only on Xbone.

I hope they fix it on PC.

Typing on phones has input lag just not enough to annoy anybody (well sometimes it annoy).
But I won't enter in this discussion.

ok, you are missing my point. in that image you posted, im getting what is happening on the left on my xbox one. im not lying or making this up, its just whats happening and is a fact for me. im playing the game as we speak and thats what im getting. am i getting literally 0 input lag, literally? no. because as you said games get some. how ever im getting 0 delay as in, im not noticing a delay and the input lag that is there makes it seem like there is no delay. when i say 0 delay it obviously means im not experiencing any delay so i perceive there to be 0 delay, im not saying scientifically there is literally no input lag. smh. you are trying to argue silly semantics.

you refuse to understand this.

i doubt you even have a x1 and played this to experience it for yourself.

ethomaz

Banned
ok, you are missing my point. in that image you posted, im getting what is happening on the left on my xbox one. im not lying or making this up, its just whats happening and is a fact for me. im playing the game as we speak and thats what im getting. am i getting literally 0 input lag, literally? no. because as you said games get some. how ever im getting 0 delay as in, im not noticing a delay and the input lag that is there makes it seem like there is no delay. when i say 0 delay it obviously means im not experiencing any delay so i perceive there to be 0 delay, im not saying scientifically there is literally no input lag. smh. you are trying to argue silly semantics.

you refuse to understand this.
The gif runs at slowdown (1/4 of the game speed) to you notice the difference in input lag between the versions.

Like I said some people are more sensible than others to input lag... some will play fine and others will have a hell of life to deal with the aiming in combat.

I understood you... It is fine to think it is fine but it is an issue for some players... and issue not existent in previous versions.

I just hope they fix it (like the 360 version) on PC.

The gif runs at slowdown (1/4 of the game speed) to you notice the difference in input lag between the versions.

Like I said some people are more sensible than others to input lag... some will play fine and others will have a hell of life to deal with the aiming in combat.

I understood you... It is fine to think it is fine but it is an issue for some players... and issue not existent in previous versions.

im pretty sensative to noticing a delay and again, im not getting any. and ive googled this and it seems some people experience and some dont and people are thinking it has to do with your tv? either way. im not getting the percieved delay that your gif displayed. even if its slowed down, i would have noticed it as again I am normally sensative to something like it.

and again, i doubt you got an X1 and experienced it yourself

ethomaz

Banned
im pretty sensative to noticing a delay and again, im not getting any. and ive googled this and it seems some people experience and some dont and people are thinking it has to do with your tv? either way. im not getting the percieved delay that your gif displayed. even if its slowed down, i would have noticed it as again I am normally sensative to something like it.
So in the same TV the 360 version runs with better input lag why? Or others games in the same TV runs with better input lag? The whole ideia of your TV is the problem was already proved false.

But I'm not here to discuss it with anybody... you asked a question why people bash the Xbone version and I told you... I just hope PC version didn't have this issue.

Spazznid

i didnt feel like typing out input with lag on my phone as we are obviously talking about input lag and that shouldnt be hard to figure out. smh

I'm just saying, considering the overwhelming amount of people who report input lag, you sound like you got a special copy.

What the hell? That's completely uncalled for, you're smart enough to realize that not everybody that uses gaf is from the US, right?

hmm i actually didnt consider that when posting that. I know not only people from the US use Gaf but, i didnt consider him being from another country at that moment, but it explains everything.

Top Bottom