• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Screenshots (by DeadEndThrills)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
yes i do. you cant tell me whether im getting lag or not

Yes I can. Unless you have a special version of the game that has different code than the millions of others who have the game, then you are getting the same performance as everyone else. It's not magical.

BigTnaples

im not the only who isnt experiencing it tho so obviously it is something else

It's not. The game has input lag, the people saying they don't have it, just don't notice it. It's measurable, you can test it, it's math and science. It's not magic.

I noticed it while playing on my Xbox one. And I am NOT sensitive to it. Hell, I can play some games with motion interpolation on and not be bothered.

The input lag is there. (I also have multiple TVs I can test it on).

As others have said, the 360 version does not have the issue at all, TR13 and TRDE do not have the issue at all. It is a specific issue with ALL copies of the XBO version, and it may or may not be patched at a later date. Until then, many of us are hoping this problem is not replicated on PC.

I don't understand how you are being so adamant about something you are clearly incorrect about. Personally attacking everyone in the discussion isn't helping your cause either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNQ8tRVkRM

i guess this guy has a magical copy too.

Wow. You can't make this up. You just posted a video that has the same amount of input lag as the rest. It's just not slowed down.

lol if thats input lag then thats crazyness. soon as he moves it left or right it turns. eh. but if thats what someone percieves to be input lag i cant argue with their perception.

ethomax, you never answered my question so i guess its safe to assume u dont have this on x1, so you saying the game is impossible to play is just hyperbole from what you read

ethomaz

Banned
lol if thats input lag then thats crazyness. soon as he moves it left or right it turns. eh. but if thats what someone percieves to be input lag i cant argue with their perception.

ethomax, you never answered my question so i guess its safe to assume u dont have this on x1, so you saying the game is impossible to play is just hyperbole from what you read
Read comprehension...

"Aim with some guns is almost impossible with the input lag..."

And no... I don't have a X1 but yes I played the game on both X1 and 360.

You seriously can't see the input lag in that video? That's crazy. You see as soon as he hits hard left or right, there's a pause before the camera turns. I'm quite baffled how anyone can not see this.

honestly im not seeing a pause. but maybe im just terrible at counting frames i guess. ill own up to that. i could never count frames in fighting games

GavinUK86

But it doesn't though. There's noticeable lag in that video so if that's exactly like your experience then you are experiencing the input delay that everyone has.

honestly im not seeing a pause. but maybe im just terrible at counting frames i guess. ill own up to that. i could never count frames in fighting games

It's nothing to do with "counting frames". It's input delay not a frame rate issue.

i watched the video again. and played the game again. meh ill just chalk it up to either im crazy or im just better at adjusting to this so called delay cause im not noticing this "pause"

But it doesn't though. There's noticeable lag in that video so if that's exactly like your experience then you are experiencing the input delay that everyone has.

It's nothing to do with "counting frames". It's input delay not a frame rate issue.

but being able to count frames would mean you would be more perceptive to noticing "input delay" is my point

En-ou

i've experienced a new emotion here on GAF...

btw - watched that vid. game breaking lag present for me. that would drive me nuts. hope they fixed the PC version.

That input lag from the video is definitely noticeable, but I don't think it's gamebreaking for me.
How bad is it in combat or aiming? Any videos?

That input lag from the video is definitely noticeable, but I don't think it's gamebreaking for me.
How bad is it in combat or aiming? Any videos?

well apparently its so bad its impossible to use certain weapons, making the game impossible to play in some respects, thus unplayable in some respects.

GHG

what the hell are you talking about? I get 0 delay. Aiming is fine

giphy.gif

IMACOMPUTA

The gif runs at slowdown (1/4 of the game speed) to you notice the difference in input lag between the versions.

Like I said some people are more sensible than others to input lag... some will play fine and others will have a hell of life to deal with the aiming in combat.

I understood you... It is fine to think it is fine but it is an issue for some players... and issue not existent in previous versions.

I just hope they fix it (like the 360 version) on PC.

Wow. Your patience is incredible.

LMAO

You should consider a job in IT.

im not the only who isnt experiencing it tho so obviously it is something else

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNQ8tRVkRM

i guess this guy has a magical copy too.

You obviously are NOT sensitive to input lag. How can you not see this? You can hear the click of the stick hitting the controller and it's like a quarter of a second before anything happens on screen. It's awful.

Uhyve

well its good to be crazy cause this game is amazing.
Nobody is saying otherwise, I've been playing the game super stealthily because of the input lag, I wouldn't bother doing that if it was a bad game, I'd just quit. But dude, I've never actually managed to notice input lag in a real time video before, usually it has to be slowed down, but it's super noticeable in that one you posted. And I'm the unlucky kind of person that can't play with vsync enabled on PC because the added input latency screws with my aiming even on a 120hz monitor. It's not usually so visibly noticeable without the footage being slowed down.

GRaider81

Well done ethomez for not losing your patience! Even more so without a direct apology for insulting you.

Your English is fine by the way.

Nobody is saying otherwise, I've been playing the game super stealthily because of the input lag, I wouldn't bother doing that if it was a bad game, I'd just quit. But dude, I've never actually managed to notice input lag in a real time video before, usually it has to be slowed down, but it's super noticeable in that one you posted. And I'm the unlucky kind of person that can't play with vsync enabled on PC because the added input latency screws with my aiming even on a 120hz monitor. It's not usually so visibly noticeable without the footage being slowed down.

well thats one thing. i always play with vsync enabled on pc and my monitor is also 120hz. primarily because tearing is the worst thing ever to me.

so does everyone who find this unplayable due to this percieved input lag play this while on lean?

You think that is so but why is the X1 version specifically the talk of input lag? This shit doesn't just come up randomly out of nowhere. There has been talk of input lag on X1 version everywhere. Just because you adjusted to it or feel it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it is the same for others.

You think that is so but why is the X1 version specifically the talk of input lag? This shit doesn't just come up randomly out of nowhere. There has been talk of input lag on X1 version everywhere. Just because you adjusted to it or feel it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it is the same for others.

i think you are misunderstanding that comment. in that comment i am not denying there may indeed be factual extended input lag. i am stating that for those that actually percieve it as there are others, not just myself, that dont.

and again, i never adjusted to it or "feel that it doesnt bother me" as if i know its there but its all good. i literally dont percieve it.

GHG

i think you are misunderstanding that comment. in that comment i am not denying there may indeed be factual extended input lag. i am stating that for those that actually percieve it as there are others, not just myself, that dont.

and again, i never adjusted to it or "feel that it doesnt bother me" as if i know its there but its all good. i literally dont percieve it.

This is what you previously said though:

what the hell are you talking about? I get 0 delay. Aiming is fine

no its not that it doesnt bother me, its that im not getting it.

These statements are factually incorrect. Well... Unless you have a special Xbox one with some of that secret sauce.

Have you changed your mind since posting those things and insulting the poster who was politely pointing out that you were wrong?

This is what you previously said though:

These statements are factually incorrect. Well... Unless you have a special Xbox one with some of that secret sauce.

well, if im not perceiving any delay, then obviously i would have said those things right.? but no, i dont have a machine to scientifically prove beyond the shadow of a doubt whether there was delay or not, but based on what i experienced i was "getting 0 delay." me, personally. not you.

no i have not changed my mind on whether i experience input lag. cause i dont. i did state that others might so there would be no changing minds on that either. I dont feel i insulted him either. in that post his english was pretty bad, just a fact. thats not a bad thing. being able to speak english well doesnt make one special. I also acknowledged he could be from another country and i didnt consider that at the time. also my punctuation is shit, i dont care. call
me out on it. its a fact.

Finally beat it. 100% everything except achievements and whatnot.

Great game. I never had the input lag problem so it was a joy for me to play. I didn't play a lot last year but this would be my GOTY for sure.

this was taken from the last page of the official thread. i literally just skimmed thru the last page. basically my point again is it just isnt me.
and yes there were some on that last page complaining about input lag. so again. its mixed

GHG

well, if im not perceiving any delay, then obviously i would have said those things right. but no, i dont have a machine to scientifically prove beyond the shadow of a doubt whether there was delay or not, but based on what i experienced i was "getting 0 delay." me, personally. not you.

That's not what you were saying though, you were denying that it existed, hence the reason this discussion is taking place (which is way off topic by the way, so congratulations I guess). Just read back through your posts in this very thread.

I have to say though this post was gold:

your english is terrible and im confused with what you are trying to say. again do you have a x1 and this game?

Best "oh shit he's got me, run!" post I think I've seen in a while.

It would have been far easier to admit you were wrong early doors rather than insult somebody who has very politely explained why you are wrong with factual evidence.

Anyway, no need to feel aggrieved, your Xbox One version will still have "0 lag" even with the release of the PC version.

you asked if i changed my mind since posting, and my direct answer is no, cause i dont percieve it. do i acknowledge that others may because there maybe an issue? yea, and i stated that already multiple times in this very thread.

reread that dude's post which is what that post is in reference to, the english is fundamentally bad and i was confused as to what was being said there.

Uhyve

Honestly guys, let's not get personal, this kinda stuff is all completely subjective to the player, it's easy to see the same game entirely differently. No need for insults.

well thats one thing. i always play with vsync enabled on pc and my monitor is also 120hz. primarily because tearing is the worst thing ever to me.
Sure. I think people need to accept that some people just don't feel input latency quite as badly as others. However, input latency is a measurable issue that does affect some people. And that issue is only as important to the extent that it affects you. I understand that it might be annoying to see people complaining about it when the game is so good and the latency is a non issue for you, but for some people, the game would be measurably better without the latency.

I don't think anyone would say it's a bad game because of the latency, just that it would be better without it. It's the same deal with Uncharted 3 when that came out, the aiming was trash tier for me, but I still completed it and enjoyed doing it. However, it was still a very obvious issue to me and many others, even without knowing why it felt so weird. It's similar to the 30vs60 fps debate, not everyone notices the difference, but if a game could hit 60fps without compromises, then it would obviously be a better situation, right?

Sure. I think people need to accept that some people just don't feel input latency quite as badly as others. However, input latency is a measurable issue that does affect some people. And that issue is only as important to the extent that it affects you. I understand that it might be annoying to see people complaining about it when the game is so good and the latency is a non issue for you, but for some people, the game would be measurably better without the latency.

I don't think anyone would say it's a bad game because of the latency, just that it would be better without it. It's the same deal with Uncharted 3 when that came out, the aiming was trash tier for me, but I still completed it and enjoyed doing it, but it was still a very obvious issue. It's similar to the 30vs60 fps debate, not everyone notices the difference, but if a game could hit 60fps without compromises, then it would obviously be a better situation, right?

well it was stated that the game was impossible to play with some guns or something which kinda blew my mind, primarily because im not experiencing any issues which is kinda what got me into this debate.

Uhyve

well it was stated that the game was impossible to play with some guns or something which kinda blew my mind, primarily because im not experiencing any issues which is kinda what got me into this debate.
I guess I've not gotten to those guns yet, plus I'm going stealthily, so I'm mainly just using the bow and arrow, then spraying and praying when I get spotted.

Let me try to explain this in a way that is actually educational and not trying to score points or something.

There is input lag and you are experiencing it. Here is most likely what is happening. Your brain is adapting to the input lag by calibrating your hand eye coordination. When your brain tells your fingers to press a button because it wants something to happen on screen it "sees" with your eyes the amount of time it takes for the action it wants to occur and adapts to it because it want's these two actions to coincide immediately. Every healthy person has the ability do this but some can do it better or in different ways than others depending on how much they exorcise it. When these people experience "issues" like this they just don't know it. Martial artists and athletes do this very well because their brains have to adapt to their bodies ability to move in different situations as well as the speed of their opponents.

I haven't played the game myself but I have played games with input lag that I did notice at first but got used to over time. It's most jarring if you are used to playing games with no issues and then you get one thrown in out of nowhere and it can throw you for a loop. But if you are like me and usually play all sorts of games then you probably adapt to it quickly or to the point that you didn't even notice it to begin with.

Recently though I've just been playing Diablo 3 and Halo where the input lag is minimal and whenever I try to pick up my 3DS to get my Pokémon I get thrown for a major loop because of the higher input lag but it goes away after a bit because I can adapt.

Now I haven't played Rise yet so I'm not going to give my opinion on the matter but I know that all sorts of games have better to worse input lag and nobody but the very sensitive or those trying to score console war points usually complains because they adapt. What I wander though, is how bad the outcry would be if there where no 360 version to compare the X1 version to?

Regardless, when there is an issue that the majority of people really can't adapt to then something should absolutely be done about it. The problem is figuring out if that fact is true or not which is hard enough to do and if so, what to sacrifice in order to fix it if that is the only answer.

Lime

The PC screenshot thread will be flooded with shots of the game. I think I'll skip the thread for a while, because seeing the game over and over again just makes me tired of it.

BigTnaples

Any news on if they upped the tessellation factors for the snow deformation to make it more accurate?

Parsnip

Any news on if they upped the tessellation factors for the snow deformation to make it more accurate?

I'm wondering that as well. It was weird reading the initial praising reactions to the snow deformation when my own first reaction to it was that it didn't look all that great.

Top Bottom