• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sephiroth art by Nomura in P&D 5th anniversary stream

Stream link.

Tweet.

o6j1l.jpg

Sephiroth art by Tetsuya Nomura appears in Puzzle and Dragons 5th anniversary stream. (@yura_amaumi)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love you Nomura.

But can we please, PLEASE stop with the whole angel wing bullshit?

Sephi had it in FFVII, one winged angel.
Then AC came and they decided to continue the trend.

Then Angeal showed up, why does he have wings?
AND THEN FUCKING GENESIS SHOWS UP - AND HE HAS WINGS TOO?

STOP.

Fucking STOP.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I've never been fond of depicting Sephiroth with a wing outside of his Safer Sephiroth form. It looks stupid. And then Advent Children actually shows him flying with it and it looks even dumber.

Beyond that, the art is pretty nice though

Nauren

Nomura.. please stop designing your characters the way you like and design them the way I like! :p

I for one, love the wing.

DemWalls

I love you Nomura.

STOP.

Fucking STOP.

Yeah, about this, here's something FF XV's co-character designer had to say...

Initially I am given some guidelines. From those few lines we throw down some few ideas with little details: sketches possibly differing from each others.
You show them to the Art-Director and he chooses the most fitting to what was imagined when the story was written.
Sometimes, during the meetings, you receive some comments which help you understand something more about the character.
For example Ardyn: when I showed him to Nomura-san he said to me: "He's missing something... I'd need something more eccentric...".

The next week I came back with the same design but with a wing on one of Ardyn's arm also thinking that he would have had to transform toward the end...
Inserting this detail I got the OK!

Nomura sure likes wings.

Rymuth

I feel Sephiroth got progressively darker and broodier as time went by.

images

Dude had syle and a mischievous glint in his eye at times.

Now he looks more dishelved and dirty

dnmt

Banned

images

You are comparing a style that was born out of necessity to what the artist actually had in mind from the beginning, I think.

vareon

images

At one point Cloud looked like this:

lXtZ4Pq.jpg

It's tough living in the planet, I guess.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

ffvorax

I saw better fanarts, but ok... the cat with the wing is cute.

I don't understand why Nomura love so much to give wings now... is like when he drawed belts everywhere... :\

Roubjon

I saw better fanarts, but ok... the cat with the wing is cute.

I don't understand why Nomura love so much to give wings now... is like when he drawed belts everywhere... :\

I don't even understand what this means. People sure love to hate a person's drawings.

I love you Nomura.

STOP.

Fucking STOP.
Isn't it because they are all from Jenova or whatever? I don't remember the details but they all share the same DNA in a way...right?

i-Jest

Isn't it because they are all from Jenova or whatever? I don't remember the details but they all share the same DNA in a way...right?

They all have Jenova cells in their bodies. I think Genesis actually had G cells first, and later Jenova cells. Don't remember but of the three Sephiroth was the one successfully stable Super Soldier.

A.Romero

I guess people would feel better if they explicitly stated that Jenova is some sort of angel like race and that's why Sephiroth and the rest that have Jenova DNA grow wings.

I mean, if you want you can make it fit in the narrative. Angels could be aliens in the FFVII myth.

issuchathingevenpossible.jpg

Kazuhira

I really like it but there's something different,it must be the lack of spiky hair that i'm so accustomed to see in his latest work.
Anyway,i though that thing in his shoulder was a chibbi cait sith or something.

Village

I love you Nomura.

STOP.

Fucking STOP.

From a person who played DMC2 for so long, I would have thought you would understand

People with swords and wings are cool

That's about it

Jenova doesn't have angel wings (or bird-like feathered wings). The closest to "wings" she has are alien-like organic growths on her back. The closest Sephiroth came to that was his Bizarro form and his sharp "wing arm" in Safer form.

BlueWord

Jenova doesn't have angel wings (or bird-like feathered wings). The closest to "wings" she has are alien-like organic growths on her back. The closest Sephiroth came to that was his Bizarro form and his sharp "wing arm" in Safer form.

I think visually it's a reference to the Jenova Doll.

latest

jett

D-Member
He actually looks kinda badass and not like some gangly-ass bishy-looking motherfucker.

Maybe there's still hope for Nomura.

A.Romero

I think that's debatable.

I'm not that familiar with the FFVII myth but maybe the wing stubs are what's left of what originally were wings.

The container were Jenova's remains are stored in Tifa's hometown also has wings so there must be a reason for that as well...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think visually it's a reference to the Jenova Doll.

latest
I still don't really understand the significance of this doll and it still creeps me out.

Sesha

We all know why the wings are really there in post-FF7 depictions. Wings are to FF what Pyramid Head became to Silent Hill.

He actually looks kinda badass and not like some gangly-ass bishy-looking motherfucker.

Maybe there's still hope for Nomura.

Agreed. And the wing is implied rather than actually there. I honestly like this.

Top Bottom