• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic game (year unspecified) confirmed for 7.22 announcement, movie details

Hinchy

I'm always seeing it being used as a reason why Sonic games are still bad and while criticisms of it are not unfounded, people seem to forget that Big Red Button made the Wii U game, and not Sonic Team.

Sonic Team are the ones delivering the goods with Colours, Generations, and to some extent Lost World.

If anyone can make a good mainline Sonic game nowadays, they can.

It's also worth noting that there are multiple teams that release under the Sonic Team banner. Generations (and previously Unleashed) is one team, Colors and Lost World (and previously the storybook series game) is another.

There hasn't been a Sonic game made by the Generations team since Generations.

(I mean, it's not entirely cut and dry. It's likely that a subset of the A team worked on Lost World as it's a weird hybrid of the Colors game engine with rendering reworked from Unleashed/Generations, and there was also Runners. But my point is that the key people who made Generations have not made a game since Generations. Meaning we very well could be in for something good.)

Ivan 3414

It's also worth noting that there are multiple teams that release under the Sonic Team banner. Generations (and previously Unleashed) is one team, Colors and Lost World is another.

Both teams are talented IMO, so I'm hoping for the best. Hopefully they've spent a lot of time on this one.

jax

Banned
It's also worth noting that there are multiple teams that release under the Sonic Team banner. Generations (and previously Unleashed) is one team, Colors and Lost World is another.

Hence the high hype levels. We could really see the return of Sonic in a big way if the game and movie are done right.

My guess is multiplat with an NX port at launch as some guess also.

Hell I half wonder if NX is a reason for the curious certain early 2017 release, as NO WAY will Sega take this long to announce it and at that point in the year and have it still be a 2016 title. Any game announced after Spring (E3 the latest) is a roughly Spring release the following year.

Examples include:

Sonic and the Secret Rings (announced at E3 2006, released in Feb 2007)
Sonic and the Black Knight (announced in July 2008, released in March 2009)
Sonic Colors (announced in May 2010, released in November 2010)
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing 1 (announced in May 2009, released in March 2010)
Sonic 4: Episode 1 (teased in September 2009, announced in April 2010, released in October 2010)
Sonic Riders (announced in September 2005, released in March 2006)
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (announced in August 2007, released in January 2008)

The Riders games seem to be the shortest gap. But as the above shows, you can see a common pattern.

I'm betting on a March 2017 release, right alongside NX's launch.

How is the brand unfocused? The show is doing very well, Boom has a new game releasing this year and is largely just a cash in on the brand, while Sonic Team has their flagship title and film produced.

Would you consider the Mario & Luigi games to be mainline Mario titles?

I'm calling the brand unfocused because there's a cartoon with 1 version of sonic, a live action/cg movie with another version of sonic (this version likely going to marketed more heavily than the other two), and an increasingly irrelevant game series that seems like it cant stay consistent from entry to entry (on a gameplay, tonal, and even artistic level. The only thing people say is consistent is the music).

Lack of focus is this series' curse.

Jaymageck

Sonic Generations 2, with a different selection of levels please.

Some people would call this idea uninspired, but I'd say a safe sequel to a good game is probably the best outcome we can hope for.

Hope it's good. Sonic Team've been taking their time, so I'm thinking this can at least be decent.

It's really been 5 years since Generations? Damn.

Hell I half wonder if NX is a reason for the curious certain early 2017 release, as NO WAY will Sega take this long to announce it and at that point in the year and have it still be a 2016 title. Any game announced after Spring (E3 the latest) is a roughly Spring release the following year.

Examples include:

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing 1 (announced in May 2009, released in March 2010)
Sonic 4: Episode 1 (teased in September 2009, announced in April 2010, released in October 2010)

The Riders games seem to be the shortest gap. But as the above shows, you can see a common pattern.

I guess it could be this holiday on other platforms and March for NX. 06 came on PS3 in early 2007 but on 360 in holiday 2006. But we'll see. They are cutting it pretty close for marketing purposes but stranger things have happened.

It's also worth noting that there are multiple teams that release under the Sonic Team banner. Generations (and previously Unleashed) is one team, Colors and Lost World (and previously the storybook series game) is another.

(I mean, it's not entirely cut and dry. It's likely that a subset of the A team worked on Lost World as it's a weird hybrid of the Colors game engine with rendering reworked from Unleashed/Generations, and there was also Runners. But my point is that the key people who made Generations have not made a game since Generations. Meaning we very well could be in for something good.)

I was under the impression that it wasn't necessarily that Sonic Team has hard teams, but more they divided the labour between Colours and Generations and then staff from Generations pooled in to work on Lost World when that game was done. I could be wrong though.

salromano

This is just an assumption in NWR's report given that Sega’s Aaron Webber teased at SXSW, “If you’re looking forward to a game announcement—I’m not saying that there’s going to be a game announcement at this party, but you should probably come to this party.”

The actual Famitsu interview doesn't say anything about a July 22 announcement.

Veldin

We at Sonic Team – are developing a completely new game
tumblr_nf9wxbLc3g1s5wiico1_250.gif

as well as developing a full movie

KiHVhA2.gif

Arcane0ne

Day ZERO if is classic Sonic,Unleashed-Generations-Lost World style or something new but good, of course.

Sonic Boom needs to be burriend beyond the hell.

Sonic the Werehog 2

Maybe Sonic 2016 is the Sonic06 remake haha.

Illucio

Banned
So.. I guess this confirms that it won't be a Generations 3. If there is a movie involved as well... Well. I smell a cash out.

jax

Banned
This is just an assumption in NWR's report given that Sega’s Aaron Webber teased at SXSW, “If you’re looking forward to a game announcement—I’m not saying that there’s going to be a game announcement at this party, but you should probably come to this party.”

The actual Famitsu interview doesn't say anything about a July 22 announcement.
Well, if anything it's confirmed the new game is in development. It's more than likely we will see something from it at the party.

It better not just be some nostalgia soaked 2D thing. Classic Sonic is amazing, but it's done. I'm sick of all this classics pandering. Give me a brand new 3D adventure with a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The speed and vastness of Unleashed, the openness, exploration and platforming of Adventure 1, and the momentum and multiple paths per stage depending on the character you're playing as from S3+K.

Basically, make these gifs a reality:

uLGZ43I.gif

RdiQXZN.gif

Aki-at

Yep can't wait.

I hope the party itself gets a live stream, if it's a new game announcement incoming they'd be silly not to do it.

But since it's SEGA they probably won't, oh well, hype anyway! 8D

On a sidenote, I really hope Marza's Sonic movie becomes full CGI instead of the half real life half CGI Sony wants.

RK128

Examples include:

I strongly doubt the game will miss 2016, more so considering Sonic Team haven been working on this as a full unit (the entire studio) since Later 2013. If anything, I expect the game to come out this November on PS4, Xbox One and PC & the game being a launch title on the NX Early 2017 with some exclusive content (not unlike Lost World Wii U with its Zelda & Yoshi free DLC).

I agree with the pattern you brought up, but considering how long this title has been in development, I think we will be getting a Fallout 4 situation; announcement at major event and 3-5 months between announcement & release.

Can't wait.

I'll probably like it for the same reason I like the live action Super Mario Bros movie. So bad that it's good.

jax

Banned
It better not just be some nostalgia soaked 2D thing. Classic Sonic is amazing, but it's done. I'm sick of all this classics pandering. Give me a brand new 3D adventure with a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The speed and vastness of Unleashed, the openness, exploration and platforming of Adventure 1, and the momentum and multiple paths per stage depending on the character you're playing as from S3+K.

Basically, make these gifs a reality:

uLGZ43I.gif

RdiQXZN.gif
Amen, brother.

Sou Da

I don't get why everyone is fellating that Twitter post, Sonic didn't earn that shade at all. Pure glass house.

Sonic Generations 2, with a different selection of levels please.

Some people would call this idea uninspired, but I'd say a safe sequel to a good game is probably the best outcome we can hope for.

Yeah, they can mix it up by making other characters playable, and having different outes available for them like in S3K/SA.

RK128

Yep can't wait.

I hope the party itself gets a live stream, if it's a new game announcement incoming they'd be silly not to do it.

But since it's SEGA they probably won't, oh well, hype anyway! 8D

On a sidenote, I really hope Marza's Sonic movie becomes full CGI instead of the half real life half CGI Sony wants.

Forgot where it was said sadly, but they confirmed that the event is being live streamed. So we will all watch it like hawks until they announce the new Sonic game :).

I strongly doubt the game will miss 2016, more so considering Sonic Team haven been working on this as a full unit (the entire studio) since Later 2013. If anything, I expect the game to come out this November on PS4, Xbox One and PC & the game being a launch title on the NX Early 2017 with some exclusive content (not unlike Lost World Wii U with its Zelda & Yoshi free DLC).

I agree with the pattern you brought up, but considering how long this title has been in development, I think we will be getting a Fallout 4 situation; announcement at major event and 3-5 months between announcement & release.

Why wait so long though? They even skipped E3 where it would have huge exposure.

Berordn

I don't get why everyone is fellating that Twitter post, Sonic didn't earn that shade at all. Pure glass house.

Sonic's social media has been on point and more than a little self-deprecating. They gleefully acknowledge how bad some of their recent releases have been.

Who better than the masters to point out when something came out half-baked?

Top Bottom