• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic game (year unspecified) confirmed for 7.22 announcement, movie details

Einhander

Obligatory:

yDL5Z4w.png

RK128

Why wait so long though? They even skipped E3 where it would have huge exposure.

To make the anniversary event special. People are going to this thing, paid tickets to see it (I think?), and people on the game and media side of things for the series are going to attend the event.

They want Sonic back in the public eye in a great light again in a BIG way, so this event having the first live gameplay of the Sonic Team title and going into extensive detail with it as the event continues is a very smart move on SEGA's part.

Nintendo did this with hours upon hours of Zelda U footage once that was finally announced, so SEGA can do that too with Sonic.

I don't get why everyone is fellating that Twitter post, Sonic didn't earn that shade at all. Pure glass house.

Because that twitter is hilarious. It makes plenty of jokes both at the expense of games like Mighty No 9 and to itself. It's good fun.

Obligatory:

Won't really apply to me since I enjoyed Unleashed, Colors, Lost World (to a degree) and Generations. That and the "Sonic Cycle" seems like an unfair thing used to shit on anything SEGA puts out with the Hedgehog on it.

On the same day, it's Nico Yazawa's birthday?
Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

I'd love to see Sega troll everyone by initially putting up what looks like a Sonic '06 trailer and then going to one for the Sonic we all know and love.

Obligatory:
Posting a picture with screenshots from Sonic Generations kind of defeats the purpose.

Sou Da

Sonic's social media has been on point and more than a little self-deprecating. They gleefully acknowledge how bad some of their recent releases have been.

Who better than the masters to point out when something came out half-baked?
Anyone but them? It's a cheap bandwagon shot from an IP desperate for relevancy.

Berordn

Anyone but them? It's a cheap bandwagon shot from an IP desperate for relevancy.

The two recent Boom games aside, the IP is doing pretty alright? Even the TV series gets accolades.

Sonic's past history is part of what made the tweet amusing.

RK128

The only bad Sonic game as of late was Boom Wii U and Lost World 3DS :l. Everything released from 2010 onward in the series but those games are solid too okay platformers.

Sonic IS relevant and something many people love. Then again, I tend to find the good in everything (even weak games like Lost World 3DS and Shadow the Edgehog), so I'm just the oddball here :).

Meesh

Should be live action, sign up Dicaprio as Tails, Depp as Sonic and Schwarzenegger as Knuckles. Boom! Bay directs.

UberTag

Surely this won't be any worse than Sonic 2006, right?
They will find a way to release a game that is worse.

Lost World was dreadful, but Colors and Generations were definitely great. I'll give them the benefit of that doubt.

That said, the glass house reply to the Sonic twitter comment was on point.

Einhander

Won't really apply to me since I enjoyed Unleashed, Colors, Lost World (to a degree) and Generations. That and the "Sonic Cycle" seems like an unfair thing used to shit on anything SEGA puts out with the Hedgehog on it.

......You know that cycle is just BS, right :l? Something people hating the series created as an excuse to bash it some more?

Oh well, wouldn't be a Sonic thread without some mention of the cycle I suppose :l.

I hate this picture. It hasn't been like this for years now.

Nobody looked at Sonic Boom and said: "This was going to be Sonic's triumphant return." I know I didn't.

The salt is flowing.

I posted it as a joke. I know there have been good Sonic games made in the years past.

jax

Banned
This could be good

Think Ratchet and Clank. Yeah we got a shit movie, but an amazing game.

I'll take that with Sonic.

I'll take a great game and a great movie, too. The last Sonic movie was fantastic.

Surely this won't be any worse than Sonic 2006, right?
They will find a way to release a game that is worse.
Yep. It came out already, it's called Sonic Boom.

jax

Banned
you would think they would at least make it Sonic 2017 to avoid connotations of Sonic 06
Who knows? It could very well release in 2017. Sonic 2016 is just what I called it in the title since it has no official name and it's being announced in 2016.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Cannot wait.

I desperately need my "sonic epic soundtrack" fix

Say what you want about their games, but their songs are always amazing

Berordn

Is this not just going to be another Sonic Boom thing?

This has been in development by the actual Sonic Team for quite a while now. Sonic Boom was an outsourced spinoff title to tie in with the TV series.

There's a chance it could be just as bad but there's no reason to assume that.

Aki-at

Forgot where it was said sadly, but they confirmed that the event is being live streamed. So we will all watch it like hawks until they announce the new Sonic game :).

Yeap, definitely confirms to me that this is going to be the announcement of a new game. Looks like they've taken a note out of Atlus' book for how to announce a new entry into your main IP, fill up a conference room of said IP's fans and watch the enthusiasm explode.

salromano

Well, if anything it's confirmed the new game is in development. It's more than likely we will see something from it at the party.

Eh, not really. I mean, a new game is obvious and hearing about it at the party is something Sega has already said.

The interview is more like:

---Please tell us about your vision for the future of the Sonic series.

We hope to offer a wider range of interaction and broaden Sonic in a lot of ways, in addition to the games made by the Sonic Team, there is the Sonic Boom CG animation and the movie produced by Sony Pictures as well.

Edit: Anyway, you should update the OP with my prev post and this one. =P

Cannot wait.

I desperately need my "sonic epic soundtrack" fix

Say what you want about their games, but their songs are always amazing

Sega needs to get Hideki Naganuma back for something. Rush's OST was godly.

Why? NX doesn't come out this year, and this game is coming out this year.

Sonic generally has sold better on Nintendo than Playstation/Xbox. Advance, Mega Collection, and SA2B came out so soon after the Dreamcast's death that most of the fanbase just moved over there. I know for a fact All-Stars Transformed actually sold better on Wii U. Anyone know how well games like Heroes, Mega Collection, Shadow, or Unleashed did on each system?

Galang

Banned
Hope we can play as Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Everyone always slams Amy, but she's deserving enough to be considered part of the main cast. She's certainly more loose and interesting than Knuckles. Sonic Boom at least tried to give him a personality I suppose

I really hope they let you play as Robotnik in the new one and I'm not talking that bulky mech suit he was using in Sonic Adventure 2. We need something like this:

VfJB99.gif

Don't feel happy, worried, etc. Just nothing.

After the huge insult that was Sonic 4, I genuinely stopped caring about Sonic.

So whatever happens, happens.

Hope we can play as Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Everyone always slams Amy, but she's deserving enough to be considered part of the main cast. She's certainly more loose and interesting than Knuckles. Sonic Boom at least tried to give him a personality I suppose

Yeah. I always liked Amy just for gameplay reasons alone. Her hammer was really fun to use in Adventure and Advance 1.

Balb

Only thing that would get me hyped at this point is Sonic Adventure 3 that's as ambitious as 1 and 2. Guessing NX (eventually)/PS4/Xbox One/PC.

Aki-at

The Angry Birds Movie turned out well (with Sony's own Animation Studio working on the project), so I have hope their Sonic film is a solid experience :).

From what I remember, Sony's animation studio isn't working on the CGI of the film, SEGA's Marza is.

Which is a pretty good idea.

What Sony is working on is the live action bits though, I really hope they ditch that idea :<

Sonic generally has sold better on Nintendo than Playstation/Xbox. Advance, Mega Collection, and SA2B came out so soon after the Dreamcast's death that most of the fanbase just moved over there. I know for a fact All-Stars Transformed actually sold better on Wii U. Anyone know how well games like Heroes, Mega Collection, Shadow, or Unleashed did on each system?

Maybe in America but this wasn't the case worldwide, it was either the 360 version or PC version from looking at SEGA's older reports. But the best selling version for Unleashed was the Wii version, I know that much, it's not even a contest.

TreIII

It better not just be some nostalgia soaked 2D thing. Classic Sonic is amazing, but it's done. I'm sick of all this classics pandering. Give me a brand new 3D adventure with a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The speed and vastness of Unleashed, the openness, exploration and platforming of Adventure 1, and the momentum and multiple paths per stage depending on the character you're playing as from S3+K.

Basically, make these gifs a reality:

uLGZ43I.gif

RdiQXZN.gif

You're speaking my language. And this is somebody who swears by Classic!Sonic.

If they were to make for some new type of open world Sonic game where I can finally play out the kind of antics that were in the Sonic CD intro, and it's NOT all defined by rollercoaster-like scripts?

That'd be the first time in ten years that I'd really be amped for a Sonic title again.

Anyone know how well games like Heroes, Mega Collection, Shadow, or Unleashed did on each system?

Ask and you shall receive!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163118596&postcount=543

1. sonic mega collection (ps2) - 1.6m
2. sonic adventure 2 battle (gc)
3. sonic heroes (ps2)
4. sonic mega collection (gc)
5. sonic and the secret rings (wii)
6. sonic adventure (dc) - 1.05m
7. sonic heroes (gc) - 840k
8. sonic adventure dx (gc)
9. sonic unleashed (wii)
10. sonic unleashed (ps2)
11. sonic colors (wii)
12. shadow the hedgehog (gc) - 500k
13. sonic and the black knight (wii) - 400k
14. sonic adventure 2 (dc)
15. sonic the hedgehog 2006 (360)
16. sonic the hedgehog 2006 (ps3)
17. sonic mega collection (xbox) - 360k
18. sonic unleashed (360) - 280k
19. sonic heroes (xbox)
20. shadow the hedgehog (ps2)
21. sonic unleashed (ps3)
22. sonic generations (360) - 200k
23. sonic generations (ps3) - 150k
24. sonic gems collection (gc)
25. shadow the hedgehog (xbox) - 100k

1. sonic advance (gba) - 1.25m
2. sonic rush (ds) - 1.2m
3. sonic advance 2 (gba) - 740k
4. sonic advance 3 (gba) - 700k
5. sonic rivals (psp)
6. sonic classic collection (ds)
7. sonic colors (ds) - 600k
8. sonic generations (3ds) - 400k
9. sonic rush adventure (ds) - 350k
10. sonic rivals 2 (psp) - 200k

Rayman Legends:
wii u > 360 + ps3 > vita

sonic transformed and all stars racing:
wii u > 360 + ps3

You're speaking my language. And this is somebody who swears by Classic!Sonic.

If they were to make for some new type of open world Sonic game where I can finally play out the kind of antics that were in the Sonic CD intro, and it's NOT all defined by rollercoaster-like scripts?

That'd be the first time in ten years that I'd really be amped for a Sonic title again.

Holy Crap! That's actually an awesome idea, even though a lot of games are going open-world Sonic might actually work well with that open structure. If they use the Hedgehog Engine they should be able to create a large open world that could stream in as you run through it.

Top Bottom