• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic game (year unspecified) confirmed for 7.22 announcement, movie details

ffdgh

Sonic 2016... I know it's been 10 years but of all the naming choices.
KuGsj.gif

Oh well pointless hope for chao gardens is a go.

From what I remember, Sony's animation studio isn't working on the CGI of the film, SEGA's Marza is.

Which is a pretty good idea.

What Sony is working on is the live action bits though, I really hope they ditch that idea :<

Maybe in America but this wasn't the case worldwide, it was either the 360 version or PC version from looking at SEGA's older reports. But the best selling version for Unleashed was the Wii version, I know that much, it's not even a contest.

I wouldn't be surprised if PC's caught up by now. But that would make sense.

Thanks! Oh, is this just for NA? I swear the worldwide numbers are somewhat higher for each of the games, but at least this paints a decent picture.

Wow, Generations sold way worse than I thought it did. :/ Hopefully Europe and PC picked up the slack. But I've seen its Japanese sales and man oh man... Don't even want to think about it.

EDIT: Adventure DC outselling DX is surprising to me. I never really thought about how well Black Knight did, but looking at that... No wonder they cut off those plans for the storybook series.

Blueblur1

It better not just be some nostalgia soaked 2D thing. Classic Sonic is amazing, but it's done. I'm sick of all this classics pandering. Give me a brand new 3D adventure with a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The speed and vastness of Unleashed, the openness, exploration and platforming of Adventure 1, and the momentum and multiple paths per stage depending on the character you're playing as from S3+K.

Basically, make these gifs a reality:

uLGZ43I.gif

RdiQXZN.gif
I like you. I'm onboard with this

Thanks! Oh, is this just for NA? I swear the worldwide numbers are somewhat higher for each of the games, but at least this paints a decent picture.

Wow, Generations sold way worse than I thought it did. :/ Hopefully Europe and PC picked up the slack. But I've seen its Japanese sales and man oh man... Don't even want to think about it.

EDIT: Adventure DC outselling DX is surprising to me. I never really thought about how well Black Knight did, but looking at that... No wonder they cut off those plans for the storybook series.

Yeah just for NA I believe.

bunkitz

This has been in development by the actual Sonic Team for quite a while now. Sonic Boom was an outsourced spinoff title to tie in with the TV series.

There's a chance it could be just as bad but there's no reason to assume that.
No. This is a mainline Sonic Team project.

Sonic Boom was a spin-off made by different developers.

You know what to do, Beef.

Oh, alright. That's cool. Don't wanna get my hopes up, though, so I'm just gonna be cautiously optimistic about this then.

Aki-at

I wouldn't be surprised if PC's caught up by now. But that would make sense.

Worldwide numbers are better, Sonic's a big seller in Europe.

Sonic Unleashed - 2.45 million
Sonic Colours - 2.18 million
Sonic Generations - 1.85 million

No surprise to see the declining sales though, moving him from 4 platforms, to the 2 best selling platforms and then finally the 2 second place platform (and I believe the 3DS was still a new platform at the time) shows for Sonic to succeed in sales it's a series that must absolutely be made available on every platform.

Edit: Should mention those sales are for the initial release period, so about 5 months worth of sales.

Is Sonic '06 really a terrible game though? How many people enjoyed watching the anguish and struggles of others as they played on YouTube? Was holding the controller in your hand and playing Sonic '06 to completion the purpose of the game, or was watching others struggles to play it the purpose of the game? I only hope that Sonic '16 can live up to the legend of Sonic '06, if only because I know I will enjoy the anguish of others who play and record their mishaps for me to watch on YouTube.

Ratchet and Clank did fine with the movie tie-in, why not Sonic?
/s

Next month is going to be hilarious. Hope the movie turns out okay at least.

Is Sonic '06 really a terrible game though? How many people enjoyed watching the anguish and struggles of others as they played on YouTube? Was holding the controller in your hand and playing Sonic '06 to completion the purpose of the game, or was watching others struggles to play it the purpose of the game? I only hope that Sonic '16 can live up to the legend of Sonic '06, if only because I know I will enjoy the anguish of others who play and record their mishaps for me to watch on YouTube.

This game isn't actually Sonic '16 that was just how the OP titled it. I do agree that Sonic 16 has been hilarious to watch be it the GameGrumps or the classic Pokecapn LP. I also do find some enjoyment of just screwing around with the game from time to time. It's still hot garbage but very occasionally fun hot garbage.

Guess Who

Banned

I played Sonic 06 and can confirm the best Sonic 06 investment I ever made was shipping my PS3 version to Game Grumps.

You're speaking my language. And this is somebody who swears by Classic!Sonic.

If they were to make for some new type of open world Sonic game where I can finally play out the kind of antics that were in the Sonic CD intro, and it's NOT all defined by rollercoaster-like scripts?

That'd be the first time in ten years that I'd really be amped for a Sonic title again.

I swear, these days, every thread has a ''insert franchise here should be open world''-post.

Sonic and Mario are at best at what they have been 90% of the time, obstacle courses.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It better not just be some nostalgia soaked 2D thing. Classic Sonic is amazing, but it's done. I'm sick of all this classics pandering. Give me a brand new 3D adventure with a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The speed and vastness of Unleashed, the openness, exploration and platforming of Adventure 1, and the momentum and multiple paths per stage depending on the character you're playing as from S3+K.

http://i.imgur.com/uLGZ43I.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RdiQXZN.gif[img][/QUOTE]
I like you.

The most terrifying thing about the 25th anniversary is seeing people come out of the woodwork and go "Sonic '06 wasn't a bad game" and some even wanting a remaster of it.

Celebrating 5 years of success, 10 years of coasting and the last 10 years of misery!

It can't be worse than Boom right? Just give me Unleashed 2 without the werehog this time.

HUELEN10

I know it's like impossible, but I would lose my god-damned mind if in the live-action movie, a redhead random girl commented on his eyes.

Toparaman

Banned

I'm with you, but I also think the likelihood of an actually great 3D Sonic is close to zero. It would be a literal miracle if Sonic Team could pull it off. I think they would have to reinvent the mechanics of 3D Sonic from the ground up.

Wut... I assumed it was CGI, wtf are they thinking. It should be a Disney/Pixar style film.

You really think a Sonic CG movie would compare favorably to Pixar? Trust me, live action Sonic is going to be way more entertaining.

TreIII

I'm with you, but I also think the likelihood of an actually great 3D Sonic is close to zero. It would be a literal miracle if Sonic Team could pull it off. I think they would have to reinvent the mechanics of 3D Sonic from the ground up.

And I'm honestly hoping that's what they focused on doing with all this time they've had between releases.

But most importantly, I want them to be able to choose one, concise direction for Sonic, and STICK WITH IT. Then develop, nourish and improve on it with sequels. But just be able to make for a foundation that continues to build upon a solid base, instead of feeling like they have to reinvent the wheel again and again.

Whether that much works out to be a Sonic game I'll want to personally play or not, I can only think that would be a move that would be in the brand's best interests. Especially if Sega really was serious about "doing better" for the brand and other things in its stable.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Sonic Unleashed was Great
Sonic Colors was Good
Sonic Generation was Okay
Sonic Lost World was Medicore
Sonic Boom was Bad

The last five "major" Sonic games have been on a consistent slide into terribleness. Here's hoping the next game can fix that.

Sonic Generations 2 is just about the worst idea. There hasn't been any noteworthy new content for Sonic since the last Generations was released so Generations 2 would just have to end with another Colors stage again.

RK128

Sonic Colors was Good
Sonic Boom was Bad

The last five "major" Sonic games have been on a consistent slide into terribleness. Here's hoping the next game can fix that.

I would argue that Unleashed was great with some minor issues, Colors & Generations were great, and that from what I saw online, Lost World Wii U was okay.

Boom Wii U I agree was bad from footage and extensive lets-plays a watched on that

sonto340

Sonic Colors was Good
Sonic Boom was Bad

While this is how I'd rate the games as well, the team that's been working on this game has been working on it since Generations, and got an infusion of members when lost world wrapped up. Sonic Boom was a TV show tie in game developed on an engine the creators said wouldn't run on the platform it was on.
Of course it was bad.

Calm Mind

uLGZ43I.gif

RdiQXZN.gif

Mario is going open world. I don't see why Sonic can't as well.

You really think a Sonic CG movie would compare favorably to Pixar? Trust me, live action Sonic is going to be way more entertaining.

Entertaining as in so bad it's good, probably XD.

Sonic Colors was Good
Sonic Boom was Bad

To be fair, Sonic Boom isn't really a mainline Sonic game, it's outsourced, part of a different canon, and only exists to milk more money out of the Sonic Boom cartoon.

Not counting Sonic Boom, Sonic has had decent games in the last couple of years. Let's hope Sonic Team has got their mojo back after Sonic Lost World.

Top Bottom