• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset for PS4/PS3/Vita?

DieH@rd

Banned
I have this and I'm very happy with them. When they die, then I will consider upgrade.

MDR-RF810RK_enl.jpeg

Hasney

I rather like the design. It's boring and uninspired, but it's also unoffensive and feels like it may vanish into someone's head once worn, with only the blue colour in the underside showing its Playstation identity.

And the shapes on the outside of it.

Ogawa-san

The one thing you can tell for sure is that it's more comfortable than the pulse elite.

I have no issues with the cups (which admittedly took a while to get used to, as my first over-the-ear headphone) but that narrow band at the top with effectively no cushion is absolutely murderous.

A deal breaker for me for those new cans is the apparent lack of a P2 input on the wireless dongle that the pulse has. It's how I've been using mine wirelessly for PC/360/PS3/TV without having to move anything around at all. It's really convenient.

seb

Banned
So, any parents in this thread ? I'd like to know how do you deal with using headsets and still being aware of your environment ?
Basically, the reason I need a headset is that I can only game at night and I must mute the TV, but at the same time I must hear if the baby cries. What gives ? I need the opposite of a noise canceller :)

So, any parents in this thread ? I'd like to know how do you deal with using headsets and still being aware of your environment ?
Basically, the reason I need a headset is that I can only game at night and I must mute the TV, but at the same time I must hear if the baby cries. What gives ? I need the opposite of a noise canceller :)
Does you have a baby monitor with a 3.5mm output jack? :p

From play Asia:

A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively)

... 1.6? Feature adding firmware incoming?! Also this looks like the headset I have been praying for. :)

Cool firmware update... I like firmwares

How does this headset compare to the elites

Gbraga

Damn, those look really comfortable! I'll definitely get it to replace my Elites, they're so damn uncomfortable, I really regret getting them after my regular Sony Stereos broke, should've bought another one of them.

geordiemp

I got old Asto A30 with a mix amp that uses the USB for power and mic, and the optical out of the Ps4...

My Son (10) also wants a pair for his PS4 - they are £ 170.

Have been looking for a cheaper pair for him that will be as good as the astro's.

Are these new headsets wireless - if so do they use battery ?

Do they use the optical out of PS4 for proper surround or just attaché dot the controller and stereo ?

(I got him a some £ 40 trittons for his 360 a year or so ago and they were poor comfort wise, noise wise and not good performance - not doing that again)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I would get a headset that only covers one ear. With a baby you shouldn't be gaming with both ears covered.

Ogawa-san

Bone conducting headphones!

styl3s

It's ugly.
Does it matter? You have them on while you play video games inside your house.

My biggest concern is how comfortable they are with glasses. This is my biggest problems with headsets in general, a lot of companies don't know how to make a headset comfortable with glasses and Pulse is a prime fucking example. Not only did it feel like it was going to crush my head it was highly uncomfortable with glasses.

doby

Looks interesting? Sort sort of weird

Also my pulse elites hurt the top of my head as well. What's an easy way to add some comfort?

Same but once i start noticing the pain I just adjust the position and then they're fine, there's definitely a position I can get them to where they don't hurt at all and I can wear them for hours.

Its a fairly obvious one but loosen up the sides to relive pressure on the head (but not so it feels like they're now too low/loose on your ears). If all else fails just get crafty and add some foam.

Also, no rear USB port on PS4. We're really going to have to have an unsightly dongle sitting out of the front? I really want a good set of headphones for the PS4, but come on.

Kuro

So I got some Pulse Elites in the mail about 4 days ago. I really like them. Should I return them?

Absolutely. They cracked and broke off on me after 3 months. The build quality is horrendous and they are also uncomfortable to wear. You're better off either waiting for the new "Gold" one or getting something like a Steelseries H wireless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dongle is perhaps inevitable, but boo. No rear USB ports on PS4 means you'll have to plug it in every time you want to use it, or have it forever sticking out the front. urgh

Kuro

dongle is perhaps inevitable, but boo. No rear USB ports on PS4 means you'll have to plug it in every time you want to use it, or have it forever sticking out the front. urgh

USB isn't as good audio quality as optical anyways. Not sure why they don't make a 5ghz receiver like the Astros.

USB isn't as good audio quality as optical anyways. Not sure why they don't make a 5ghz receiver like the Astros.

Not true. My USB Fiio E17 DAC/Amp would run rungs around anything Astro make in regards to audio quality. They're both digital signals so the quality of the DAC is what's important.
The wireless transmission method however makes a difference.

Violater

I feel like they're putting nails in the coffin on the Pulse line of headphones :(

Don't you say that, don't you bloody say that man.
Because I would be so fucking pissed on top of how pissed I am that its not supported right now.
They said January in an update and I am still waiting, I refuse to buy another headset when I have a perfectly good one already

Sighhh *breathes
sorry for the rant...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I like the look - they're like Beats by Kaz.

I liked my original Sony headset. Easily the best set of wireless headphones I've used. The second edition was really uncomfortable especially if you wore glasses, the clamp was just too much for my head. So I'm glad they're going back to something more along the lines of the original but not as dorky looking.

jwk94

Don't you say that, don't you bloody say that man.
Because I would be so fucking pissed on top of how pissed I am that its not supported right now.
They said January in an update and I am still waiting, I refuse to buy another headset when I have a perfectly good one already

Sighhh *breathes
sorry for the rant...
The product page on Play-Asia says that the headset will be compatible following update 1.6.

Top Bottom