• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Starfield video outlines the 'Settled Systems'

CamHostage

Isn't this what Todd does? he doesn't show off his games until they are about to be released.

Hmm, is it? That's what happened with Fallout 4 (announced at E3 2015 in June, released that November,) but otherwise Skyrim had almost a full year of lead-up; Fallout 3 also had over a year of promotion after its June 2007 Game Informer reveal. What else would we be talking about here (or is this an in-joke I don't get about Todd Haynes?)

Teasing the game (especially with only concept art like this, which is interesting if you're really, really into the lore but otherwise is frustrating for everybody hoping to know something about the actual gameplay) is pretty new for Bethesda AFAIK. Then again, concept art teasers with no word on a greater reveal feels kind of new for any big game really (well, except for a certain space epic...), so it's not really an indicator positive or negative yet, I guess? It's not 'nothing', which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's not that I don't like The Outer Worlds, it's just that I feel it's nothing revolutionary. The way Bethesda has been hyping Starfield, I'm expecting something way more special. The original Mass Effect games were special back in their day, especially 2 it was an amazing experience with great combat, I'm just afraid Starfield won't reach that level for me but I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah okay I get what you’re saying, and I agree.

Something like Mass Effect would be awesome, I’m playing Legendary Edition right now and it’s honestly still great.
I doubt we’ll see that kind of combat with a crew and abilities though.

I expect classic first person shooting, weapon mods, similar to Cyberpunk, they can always ask id/Arkane/Machinegames for advice so it shouldn’t suck unless they’re too proud to ask for help. And I expect first class exploration, lore and quests. Haven’t counted the areas shown in concept art but clearly we’ll see a few big cities, with different cultures, some wilderness areas has been shown too and I think we might get some hub-like bigger thing to explore like Imperial City in Oblivion. Total maybe 7 open explorable maps, absolute max 10, possibly a bit bigger than what we have in TOW.

Anyone expecting free No Man’s Sky space exploration will obviously be disappointed, but the maps and their content will be on a whole other level. I hope they bring back the mansion building from Skyrim, I want to build a space station I can dock to and change the layout of rooms etc.

Anyway, only showing concept art when it’s less than a year til launch is either foolish or clever. Not sure yet. They must be extremely confident that what they have will blow people away once it’s fully unveiled, kinda like Playground with Forza Horizon 5. But it’s very risky when it’s a new IP, even with the ”Skyrim in space” comment out there it’s difficult to know what to expect.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Hmm, is it? That's what happened with Fallout 4 (announced at E3 2015 in June, released that November,) but otherwise Skyrim had almost a full year of lead-up; Fallout 3 also had over a year of promotion after its June 2007 Game Informer reveal. What else would we be talking about here (or is this an in-joke I don't get about Todd Haynes?)

Teasing the game (especially with only concept art like this, which is interesting if you're really, really into the lore but otherwise is frustrating for everybody hoping to know something about the actual gameplay) is pretty new for Bethesda AFAIK. Then again, concept art teasers with no word on a greater reveal feels kind of new for any big game really (well, except for a certain space epic...), so it's not really an indicator positive or negative yet, I guess? It's not 'nothing', which is a good thing.

I don't think Skyrim got its first gameplay trailer until the end of February or early March, they aren't really behind schedule yet.

Anyway, I like the idea that it is set in an early period of space exploration, not so distant from where we are actually at. Makes the technology more relatable. Although, I'll say the SpaceX capsules have more screens and fewer buttons, I get a Shuttle vibe from these - but I like it. Can't wait to get a proper reveal at E3 (or around the time E3 should be).

Last edited:

CamHostage

I don't think Skyrim got its first gameplay trailer until the end of February or early March, they aren't really behind schedule yet.

True'ish. Skyrim was announced at the TGAs that December, and that was a confirmation teaser with a logo and some CGI dragon scales (and also a date), then Game Informer had it as the February Cover with screens (in the middle of Jan, as Feb issues do) before it had a gameplay reveal on Feb 23.

Now is a weird time for promoting games, because the titles are so big that they really could take all year just talking about new little bits (which hopefully Starfield will do...but also hopefully Starfield will give us gameplay way early into that process too,) plus games take so long in development that it's challenging to keep a secret and maintain staff momentum on a secret for half a decade, but then game consumers seem to not want the big lead-up anymore, they just want to know what they can go buy in the next few months. Fallout 4 almost felt like a stealth-launch with just five months to know about it, now a massive game could just hit digital shelves in a day without anybody knowing of it and people would be like, "Oh good, I've got something to do today..."

So, yeah, it feels like both, that Starfield is taking so long in giving anything meaty to check out out but also is just about on time for the cycle.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Credibility lost
LOL ok Mr No Reading Comprehension Or Obvious Grammatical Skills! Let your disappointment that I have a different opinion of a movie wash over you.
Show%2Bme%2Bon%2Bthis%2Bdoll%2Bwhere%2Bthe%2BInternet%2Bhurt%2Byou.jpg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Why is this all still concept art?
Because if a Bethesda game is really coming out this year, it will be revealed at E3. Bethesda only reveals their game very close to release. I don't get why people are assuming "We didn't see gameplay a year earlier, so its delayed". The people who leaked those screenshots last year(from a playable 2018 build) noted that it was targeted for a 2021 release but then internally delayed. Most importantly
November-11-11-22.jpg

No one announces a release date like that unless they are absolutely certain. They will only show you those concept arts until the actual reveal.

Because if a Bethesda game is really coming out this year, it will be revealed at E3. Bethesda only reveals their game very close to release. I don't get why people are assuming "We didn't see gameplay a year earlier, so its delayed". The people who leaked those screenshots last year(from a playable 2018 build) noted that it was targeted for a 2021 release but then internally delayed. Most importantly
November-11-11-22.jpg

No one announces a release date like that unless they are absolutely certain. They will only show you those concept arts until the actual reveal.

Well it’s probably not going to show at E3, since it’s likely getting completely cancelled (E3 I mean).

Top Bottom