• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Starfield video outlines the 'Settled Systems'

This is where they lost me:

Personally I don't need a bunch of sparse planets dotted with settlements of 10 or 20 people with dishpan deep personalities. OUTER WORLDS had some good "towns" but the overall design of maps outside the main story was woeful. Skyrim sized maps for each planet sounds horrible unless they are actually making an effort to really make them feel fleshed out.

. . .and no way are there "dozens" of Skyrim sized maps.
There's no reason to doubt until we see more.

Newton law of gravity was formulated around 330 years ago, Kirchoff and Ohm laws are 200 years old. Radiation was discovered ~120 years ago. 300 years is gigantic amount of time in terms of technology.
300 years is a long time but In my opinion its not enough to become an interstellar species and setup colonies on other worlds light years away. That's something that will take millennia to achieve. We'd have to become something closer to a Kardashev type 3 civilization to achieve interstellar travel.

Present day we're not even anywhere near close to a Kardashev type 1 civilization. Interstellar travel on human lifetime scales is a HUGE technological hurdle to overcome. Orders of magnitude more than taking to the skies in a plane.

I guess what i'm saying is I just want realistic timelines for games when it comes to these sci fi games.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I like the story in Fallout 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn, so would be hard to say which one has a better story, they both did great jobs in that area. I'd say a few AC titles had great stories like Origin with the parents looking for revenge for their son etc.

Fallout 4 in general is underrated. I think people took exaggerating how much 3 and New Vegas was to a wild degree lol 3,4 and NV all have their place and fit nicely together, but Fallout 4 would be my personal favorite. The side quest alone put it above most RPGs last gen.

I like Fallout 4 overall more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but I like the story and Lance Reddick in HZD more than FO4.

HZD has one of my favorite stories in a video game.

I wouldn't laugh yet

I'd need to be pretty crazy to believe such a thing lol. I just know this game is going to deliver, though. I can't wait!

crazy nicolas cage GIF

Sinthor

Gold Member

Not gonna lie, that looks cool. I know Bethesda games like this and like the Skyrim series always have a lot of bugs and they're never QUITE what they are initially targeted to be, but it looks cool. I will probably regret not being able to play this. Of course, I guess I can play it regardless on PC so maybe not a big deal. If it's THAT good, I'll play it on PC. If not, no biggie.

The Bethesda acquisition is the one thing that really has the potential in my opinion to change Microsoft's flagging fortunes in the console game and PC game space. If they do it right. Also will depend on how Sony can respond to the loss of these titles. It should be an interesting generation regardless.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
On the fence with this game. Fallout 4 was shit and the less said about Fallout 76 the better.

I need to see more before I start deep throating Tom Howard in appreciation.

mekes

That's it? He was winding up like he was about to start talking about the game and then the video ended

😂

Markio128

Gold Member
As much as I love Skyrim, I’ll be reigning the hype-o-meter in a bit; reading the comments it appears that folk seem to be imagining a galaxy full of Skyrim’s in space. This is crazy if you imagine the work that would need to go into such an endeavour. My guess is that you will be able to traverse different planets, each with their own environments/cities/ports etc., but the maps won’t be chock-a-block with stuff like in your TES games. I imagine a similar/maybe more amount of main areas and things to do as in a TES game, spread throughout a galaxy. Then you will have encounters in space to spice up the formula that we all know and love. To me, this would still be an exciting (and more realistic) prospect.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The issue with all these recent Space Games is that outside of the cockpit they have no atmosphere.

Hopefully Starfield manages to avoid the content vacuum at launch.

Last edited:

Starfield

abit more lore info which hasn't been mentioned in this video:

SyOKG5e.png

The UC (United Colonies) is the largest Faction in the game. They have various subsidiaries like SysDef (System Defense) and the MAST (Military, Administrative and Science Triumvirate). (They're also at "war" with the Crimson Fleet pirates, a loose confederation of several pirate captains.)

azPbC3G.png

Whereas the FreeStar Collective consists of 3 distinct Star Systems. Like in the video mentioned, they were at war with UC 20 years ago.
Within the FreeStar Collective there's a military force/subsidiary called "Rangers" (idk their full name).
(FreeStar Collective has received an urgent comminuqe' by United Colonies about the danger of the Crimson Fleet and anyone accosiated with their Jolly Roger symbol can be terminated on sight. Any further questions should be forwared to Commander Kibwe Ikande aboard the UC Vigilance for SysDef)

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I'd love it if adventure games had subtitles for aliens and monsters. In a way it still doesn't make sense, but at least it's something. Seeing a 1000 year old dragon or bridge troll speak English (or Spanish or French), as well as all seem to have hands with fingers so they can still sell you a sword or laser pistol doesn't make sense either.

When I played Ultima Underworld (memory hazy), I think when you went up to some lizardmen they'd just grunt unintelligible text back at you unless you.
Captain Blood from back in the 16-bit era, totally nailed that.

Starfield

Oh and another cool thing, alltough I can't confirm this/show evidence:

ID software has been helping the development of Starfield. Can't give specifics on what. I heard UI and 1st person animation design or something like that.

And also there might be Doom easter eggs in Starfield.

Doom is set in 2221, Starfield is 2330

I'll bookmark this to look back at it end of next year, heh

Last edited:
300 years is a long time but In my opinion its not enough to become an interstellar species and setup colonies on other worlds light years away. That's something that will take millennia to achieve. We'd have to become something closer to a Kardashev type 3 civilization to achieve interstellar travel.

Present day we're not even anywhere near close to a Kardashev type 1 civilization. Interstellar travel on human lifetime scales is a HUGE technological hurdle to overcome. Orders of magnitude more than taking to the skies in a plane.

I guess what i'm saying is I just want realistic timelines for games when it comes to these sci fi games.
The thing is, something like interstellar travel doesn't have an expected timeline. As you said, it'd need massive breakthroughs in technology. It could be literally impossible for all we know. Or we somehow manage a breakthrough and then it becomes "easy". Who knows.

Imagine explaining the internet to someone 300 years ago. Would sound like beyond magic to the person, yet here we are.

Starfield

The thing is, something like interstellar travel doesn't have an expected timeline. As you said, it'd need massive breakthroughs in technology. It could be literally impossible for all we know. Or we somehow manage a breakthrough and then it becomes "easy". Who knows.

Imagine explaining the internet to someone 300 years ago. Would sound like beyond magic to the person, yet here we are.
Didnt some scientists came to the conclusion that flying in air was impossible 2days before the very first plane gad its test flight?

With dedication nothing is impossible 🙅

Scientists also believed that everything that exists earth atmosphere would get torn into piecea and its impossible

Last edited:

yurinka

This concept art artwork is very cool, but the game is supposed to release in a year from now. It would be nice to start showing gameplay.

Starfield

One more small tidbit:

The devs said Starfield is like "Skrim in Space"
Literally.

UC vs FreeStar Collective: a colony war which is now at a stalemate

The Ecliptic: A mercenary faction

The Crimon Fleet: A space pirate faction stealing things from others

The Var'uun: A cult faction

All of it is 'tone'

Just think of all the factions in Skyrim, think what this possibly means for you as the PC

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
I'd agree with you in general, but the laws of physics are a hard cap on what we can do.
Physics as we understand them currently. The theory of relativity is just that, a theory. Einstein himself also theorized the use of wormholes etc for travel purposes. In theory, it’s possible.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Starfield is still over a year away from launch, which means it’s going to be some time before marketing for the space-faring RPG is kicked into gear, but even so, new tidbits about the game are being revealed at regular intervals.

Here are five new details about STARFIELD you need to know.

reksveks

I'd love it if adventure games had subtitles for aliens and monsters. In a way it still doesn't make sense, but at least it's something. Seeing a 1000 year old dragon or bridge troll speak English (or Spanish or French), as well as all seem to have hands with fingers so they can still sell you a sword or laser pistol doesn't make sense either.

When I played Ultima Underworld (memory hazy), I think when you went up to some lizardmen they'd just grunt unintelligible text back at you unless you.
I would love a in-game translator that you have the choice of using or not and that it just produces that bad ai sounding voices for non-English speaking characters.

Fredrik

Are these date for dates for press or release dates? I could see press reviews dropping just before the 'cut-off' date.
Just realized it’s coming Nov 11th, not Nov 22nd, so yeah it’s back to being GOTY 2022 then! 👍😉

As for the cut off date the game has to be released before that date. Halo Infinite for example is a 2022 game in the TGA bubble even if most of us will have at least started it when the show is on. Cyberpunk is a 2021 game.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to see how they fill these maps. BGS games have always relied on packing their one map full of stuff, but making a dozen similar sized maps but with assumedly more sparse content will be a different beast to tackle.

I remember playing Mass Effect Andromeda thinking that the way the open world planets ended up being implement SUCKED big time compared to the previous games linear maps. Open world design can easily go astray, and while BGS has succeeded with it so far, I'm sort of afraid this game might jump right into the same set of problems all these other open world titles ended up with. Boring traversal with annoying random encounters, pointless repetitive ?'s littered across the map where you end up looking at the HUD map instead of the world itself wishing you were somewhere else. I'm always going to prefer a crafted combat experience over just plopping a group of enemies on the ground in the open world and calling it a day.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The fact that they're making videos by panning concept art pictures doesn't give me great confidence in their ability to launch the game next year.

Though I guess the current climate of delaying everything due to covid is leaving me constantly skeptical of release dates.

Top Bottom