• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Strange Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux info from Famitsu.

Hylian7

I can't post the scans, but there is some info from them. I can't read Japanese, so most of what I am getting is just obvious from the pictures to me.

- Some kind of special edition for the game, I see a bunch of CDs, something that looks like an artbook, and maybe a steelbook in a box. It's hard to tell. If anyone can translate that bit that would be awesome. It has 25th anniversary logos on it.

- Release date in Japan October 26

- New animated scenes are present, such as the one in the trailer where you could see the soldiers fighting Asura. I see a screencap of one that shows two of the pilots of the Red Sprite in their seats.

- There's artwork of Alex (the new character) wearing some kind of red and black mask, might be a demon version of a Demonica.

- More artwork of the humans, including some of the more minor characters.

- There's a page showing off demons, including a new demon: Anahita. Her last appearance was in Giten Megami Tensei and Majin Tensei II. She has not appeared with the new design, most definitely drawn by Doi. This design is definitely a good evolution of Doi's demons, and while he's not Kaneko, he definitely is coming very close to filling that gap. Part of her lore is she is both the source and god of the world river, and her artwork portrays that really well.

- Some kind of retrospective of the mainline series up to this point. Interestingly enough, SMT NINE (that Xbox game that had the cancelled online part) is shown there as well as SMTIV Final (or Apocalypse as it's known outside Japan). Apocalypse isn't surprising to see there, but NINE is.

I kinda hate the way Zelenin looks now :( Kaneko pls come back.

Hype as hell for this game otherwise. What are the chances of getting dual audio in the West?
please don't say zero

Refyref

I kinda hate the way Zelenin looks now :( Kaneko pls come back.

Hype as hell for this game otherwise. What are the chances of getting dual audio in the West?
please don't say zero

Sadly, this game will have Japanese VA only in the west.

Is it me or do the characters look kinda weird? Just something seems off about them.

I'm still bummed out they didn't rework the battle system into the press turn :(

Eh what they have is just fine. While I like the press turn system, I don't need to see it for every smt game.

Refyref

Usually I don't care what language the VA is in (even though I prefer English), but this is a game in which all the characters actually speak English in-universe, so it seems like such a missed opportunity to not have that.

Itsuki

Bought the magazine. I'm very tired right now so I'll translate only the info about the Limited Edition:
Shin Megami Tensei 25th Anniversary Special Box. Price is 16800 yen and includes:
-A copy of the game
-Rare soundtrack and Memorial Arranged Tracks (6 CDs)
-Series 25 anniversary artbook: Megaten Maniacs (208 pages)
-A special box

That would be a complete rehaul...why would they do that.

Not every game needs press turn. SJ (and Persona too) are fine without it.

Persona (3, 4, and 5) is Press-Turn though...

Sadly, this game will have Japanese VA only in the west.

Yowza - That strikes me that this is a real "slid under the closing blastdoor" localization then and that Atlus is definitely winding down 3DS support fast like they did with their PSP support.

Even Valkyria Revolution got a dub.

Hylian7

Bought the magazine. I'm very tired right now so I'll translate only the info about the Limited Edition:
Shin Megami Tensei 25th Anniversary Special Box. Price is 16800 yen and includes:
-A copy of the game
-A special box

Damn, that's nice. I hope we get that in the US.

Blobbers

Yowza - That strikes me that this is a real "slid under the closing blastdoor" localization then and that Atlus is definitely winding down 3DS support fast like they did with their PSP support.

those have the "one-more" system, Nocturne, 4, 4:A and DDS are press-turn

Bladenic

What's extra super weird is that Radian Historia is getting dubbed, but this game isn't.

Semajer

NeonZ

They've been redrawn by Masayuki Doi. Kazuma Kaneko was the original character artist on OG Strange Journey.

Actually, the redone art is credited just to "Atlus Design Team". Doi is only doing the art for new characters and demons.

Never played the original so looking forward to this. Hope it's not too much of a downgrade playing on the older 3ds model since I have no interest upgrading.

cj_iwakura

-A copy of the game
-A special box

That's pretty impressive.

And yeah, some of the new art is too poor to be Doi's. I wouldn't want credit either.

ohlawd

Persona (3, 4, and 5) is Press-Turn though....
giphy.gif

Usually I don't care what language the VA is in (even though I prefer English), but this is a game in which all the characters actually speak English in-universe, so it seems like such a missed opportunity to not have that.

Not to mention, isn't the protagonist changed to American in the localized version as opposed to Japanese in the original? I remember a character in the game saying something like "wow, an American? This really is a multinational team" and thought it weird because - besides having an American joining a UN expedition is hardly quaint - there were already at least two other Americans on the team.

Bladenic

Box art too cluttered. I never played it but I always thought the original box art of just the demonica suited MC was iconic

redcrayon

Not a fan of the cover, but then I've never like promo art that is 'headshots of the whole cast out of proportion with each other, looking in different directions'. Always seems so inelegant compared to selecting a single mage of something to represent the game. Is it necessary to have ten characters on there? 've seen worse though, some anime games seem to fit 15+ people on there.

Top Bottom