• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Famitsu scan revealed Chun Li, E Honda, etc

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Little disappointed by no redesigns, but its great to see these characters in good, detailed 3D.

Viper in 3D seems to fit in just fine, Im guessing all 4 bosses will make it in too, but heres hoping for more new characters, grown-up Sakura would be great!

Dartastic

Ahem.

2572cd2.gif

Nobody's done this yet? Really?

Dante

It's basically a ReMake of 2 in 3d :/

Unless this ends up having a shitload of characters I don't see too many new ones coming into the mix.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Whats with the xmen vs street fighter shot at the bottom right of that one page? can someone translate?

Dante said:

Unless this ends up having a shitload of characters I don't see too many new ones coming into the mix.

Its better if they start with a core roster then just drop updates along the way. If they go too buckwild right off the bat it could have a lot of balance issues.

Ninja Scooter said:
jesus at least give the characters a MINOR redesign.

Back then as a kid I would have figured our favorite Street Fighters would look a bit different by SF3/4 or something....well here we are some 18+ years later give or take, and SF4 is basically just another interpretation of the original SF2 style in 3D essentially ignoring SF3 to boot.

There's something hilarious and disheartening about that.

neptunes

Rekki-Maru said:
haha.

yea, it's one of those things that just gets better everytime. that was the best one though so far.
I don't think BOG actually found Wario's little quip as funny

probably referring to his obligation to post in every gaming thread and drop 1-or-2 unfunny one liners.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
haunts said:
fuck redesigns. whats wrong with you people.

Ive been looking at the same characters for 15/16 years now, something different would be nice! I'm not even talking about Ken and Ryu, those guys are staples. But hell I dont know, Guile could use a slight change of clothes, same for Zangief, or Dhalsim even. Im sure some people at Capcom would agree but the dev team seems to be super careful about not pissing off any of the SF 2 fanbase.

Devil May Cry is a good example. Dante always goes trough small redesigns, but it always looks right and consistent with his personality, etc.

Still looks awesome though

Dante said:

No its not, read the specs on the gamelay systems and it plays more like a mix between Alpha and 3rd Strike

big_z said:
how the fuck can honda be fat yet have abs?

Hes not fat, its all muscle :D

haunts

Bacon of Hope
its so stupid. they go all out with 3s with completely new characters; people bitch. they leave everyone the same; people bitch.

although having costume upgrades and stuff might not be too bad.. i personally want them to retain the look and feel for the classic characters though.

fernoca

Yeah, I mean..
Ryu would look kinda cool with a slightly longer hair and a beard, his trademark red bandana and white pants (no vest)...
Just small changes, nothing big..

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if the Summer release is just for the "first version"..and by Summer next year we get another 'SFIV' with some extra characters and backgrounds...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I approve of the new thigh textures.

Also, Dhalsim was said to be 107 lbs. in the original. Wtf?

Hcoregamer00 said:
I love Chun-li's modern look (she looks more asian) but I can't help but be sad that they never changed her outfit......ever.

What? They changed her outfit in Street Fighter Alpha.

chunrose.jpg

KingJ2002

Oblivion said:
I approve of the new thigh textures.

Also, Dhalsim was said to be 107 lbs. in the original. Wtf?

dhalsim design has changed quite a bit from the SF2 days...

they made his stomach non existant while giving him absurdly huge arms

example:

1scbo9.gif

e-honda on the other hand... cant call it... he really shouldnt have abs

Whipped Spartan said:
I am confused why is this and SFHD both coming out? sf4 better not play like sf2 with no new characters or costumes.

it wont play anything like SF2... im expecting a very offensive version of SF3... which could fix the issues that SF3 had (very balanced but there was a heavy emphasis on defensive... and parrying warped old school SF gameplay)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chun Li looks super hot, but I'm raelly disappointed that SO many of the SF2 characters are back. They should have gone with an all new cast like in Street Fighter 3. That's what made it feel like a real all new installment.

I hope there a BUNCH of new characters.

Dali

KingJ2002 said:
wow... the characters look great! blanka came out looking great so did chun li (even though she looks like she can kick through steel)

i wonder tho...

thats 9 characters so far... 8 classic 1 newcomer... it looks like the roster might be pretty big. i wouldnt be surprised if it were tekken-esque... or maybe VF style.

Remember this is Street Fighter so expect the roster to increase in waves.

27 characters by the time SFIV: World Warriors Hyper Deluxe Home BBQ Sauce Edition is released.

SumGamer

Hcoregamer00 said:
She has to, going 16 years without changing her clothes must mean one thing.

She must have like a thousand copies of the same clothes.

How about she wears it once at SF2 then put it the deepest of her closet and now decided its time to wear it again.

I too, would love to see some alteration to the character, at least the look. But who knows, maybe it's only a few months from SF2.

USD

Mmm, Chun-Li thighs.

And the "E." in E. Honda is for Edmond? Didn't know that. That's kinda lame.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Woa all of this characters did not impress me one bit infarct it did the opposite. All them characters must be eating Steroids for breakfast or something.

ThirstyFly said:
What? They changed her outfit in Street Fighter Alpha.

chunrose.jpg

Yup, in fact just about every returning character had some kind of makeover in the Alpha games. Not sure what the "they never look different ever!" people are going on about.

Tenbatsu said:
I think the worst looking characters are Ken and Ryu.
I...think I'd agree actually :(. Zangief and Guile look awesome, they have an updated yet not completely over-the-top look. Ryu was so full of style when the original games were popular but he looks the most generic from what has been shown.

fernoca

SumGamer said:
How about she wears it once at SF2 then put it the deepest of her closet and now decided its time to wear it again.

I too, would love to see some alteration to the character, at least the look. But who knows, maybe it's only a few months from SF2.
Keep in mind that unlike other fighters (as far as I know) Street Fighter is not a tournament per se... so is not like she specifically gets dressed to compete...
But more like the story of that character as he/she travels around, fighting anyone that opposed him/her..as they unravel the truth..(heck in SFIII she was investigating a case of a girl that dissapeared ..so why wasn't she wearing her uniform..or something more casual??)

Is like Chun Li says..
"Today I feel like fighting..I'm SO putting my blue dress and kick SO MUCH ass"..

Mariah Carey said:
Yup, in fact just about every returning character had some kind of makeover in the Alpha games. Not sure what the "they never look different ever!" people are going on about.
??
Alpha was supposed to be a prequel to SFII..and aside Chun Li, every character used the same costume (Dhalsim, Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Vega.) but younger (because of the art style and because of the whole prequel thing)...[though we are talking about costumes, not art style]

Jirotrom said:
the whole point was to bring back their "iconic"" status... hence no redesign.

i understand that with Ken and Ryu, as they are sort of the "stars" of the game, but i think characters like Blanka or Zangief could have done well with some sort of a redesign. Even if his minor. Shit, pull Blanka's hair back in a ponytail, have him grow some chop sideburns and switch his outfit up a little bit. Or put Guile in a bomber jacket and have him grow a beard. shit like that. Its not like the casual SF fans wouldn't recognize the big green guy with orange hair, only he'll actually look like he's evolved a little. I just thought it would be cool to have them look older or something. Its not a huge deal, just a nitpick.

Jirotrom

Ninja Scooter said:
i understand that with Ken and Ryu, as they are sort of the "stars" of the game, but i think characters like Blanka or Zangief could have done well with some sort of a redesign. Even if his minor. Shit, pull Blanka's hair back in a ponytail, have him grow some chop sideburns and switch his outfit up a little bit. Or put Guile in a bomber jacket and have him grow a beard. shit like that. Its not like the casual SF fans wouldn't recognize the big green guy with orange hair, only he'll actually look like he's evolved a little. I just thought it would be cool to have them look older or something. Its not a huge deal, just a nitpick.
ahhh... no that would be cool, I think irt would work well the way you have stated it. Have Ken and Ryu exactly the same but change some of the other characters just a bit.

Colour me impressed. I hope that's all the SFII characters that are coming back (although I wouldn't mind getting Cammy too). We need to see some new characters (inluding a mature Sakura!).

Ryu and Ken's faces still need a bit more work.

zoukka

What, people didn't like SFIV designs in some point? Now that's just crazy.

Looks delicious. I'm not even sure if 2D would beat it. Finnish magazine Pelaaja had an interview about this and they really said it will be more like SF2. And there's no parrying in the game.

Top Bottom