• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Famitsu scan revealed Chun Li, E Honda, etc

marwan

Banned
so....it seems like most of the original SF2 fighters are back in SF4....is it me is turning out to be SF2 in 3D?

also, anyone knows about the button configuration? is it 3x3 or 2x2 ...i'm not sure which SF used 2 punches and 2 kicks.

Ferrio

Banned
marwan said:
so....it seems like most of the original SF2 fighters are back in SF4....is it me is turning out to be SF2 in 3D?

also, anyone knows about the button configuration? is it 3x3 or 2x2 ...i'm not sure which SF used 2 punches and 2 kicks.

None of them did... least none of the "Street Fighter" games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
KingJ2002 said:
Capcom themselves said that this game is meant to bring back SF2 players to the series... so having the original roster of characters is a good thing. It gives people an easy entry back into street fighter... my main concern now is how many new fighters are going to be here... if there's only like... 2... capcom failed... im expecting 4... 6 with boss characters... and if there's going to be any alpha characters... im expecting some re-designs since they are alot older... and alt costumes for everyone.

So they're scrapping the aesthetics of the best SF in the series for the one that everyone remembers.

Well, I've pretty much lost all interest in the game. I was hoping they were making SF4. Instead they're making SF2 remix.

I'll just wait for Blaze Blue and Basara X.

marwan said:

The answer is zero. SF1 used pressure sensitive buttons for strength of punch or kick, but the idea was retarded.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
McDragon said:
2w5ua2x.jpg

damn.

son a beech? you mean that chef in the background there?

turk128

zoukka said:
Well just wondering why people criticise the new look when the oldies weren't a tad better. I really think the new Ryu looks personal and the fact that the characters have lots of expressions is just great. Im hoping for panting animations!
Since it's apparent by now that SF4 is basically a send-off of old SFII that's certainly true but it doesn't compare favorably to the newer SF styles/art which is the root of the criticism for many.

I think the new Ryu look is in a weird transitional style that comes off kinda awkward. They really need to polish the style a bit more and make it more consistent (as opposed to generic) but I love the fact that they are trying to implement 2D style squash/stretch expressions, for the most part, that should be kept.

And I can't freakin' wait to see high rez clear screens of thunderthighs!

I think it's awesome and funny even how the supporting characters look really awesome with the new art style over Ryu and Ken. Damn Chunners looks good.

karasu

zoukka said:
sfryulv2.jpg

I think they're pretty well nailed. The style respects both anime/western looks from the past. I just don't get the bitching.

And isn't 3rd Strike pretty unknown for the majority of people/gamers? Street Fighter II was a worldwide phenomenom and it's natural to bring the original roster up. It is crucial if they hope to have any chance of raising the popularity of SF to the level of Tekken etc in the eyes of the masses.
that's probably the only faintly reasonable shot of Ryu in the game. They didn't nail jack.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sorry guys. I got a little confused when they decided to call it SFIV. I was expecting aesthetic progression to the same degree as SF3, not a regression as we're seeing again.

I like the idea of returning characters, but absolutely NO costume or hairstyle change? Come on. That's just silly. Even Alpha redid costumes.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think part of the reason why so many are (justifiably) criticizing the lack of visual progression and the feeling of revision over revolution is due to having the same stage (a SF2 stage at that) shown over and over. If we got a whole raft of new stages shown with the SF2 roster I believe many would be mollified to an extent until more of the new characters are revealed.

marwan

Banned
Ferrio said:
None of them did... least none of the "Street Fighter" games.

hmmm....maybe it's that Capcom heroes fighting game that had SF characters vs some characters from Red Earth....or something.

nevermind!

oh i forgot, SSF2T GBA was 2x2 :p

thetrin

marwan said:
hmmm....maybe it's that Capcom heroes fighting game that had SF characters vs some characters from Red Earth....or something.

nevermind!

oh i forgot, SSF2T GBA was 2x2 :p

You were thinking of Fighting Evolution, and that had 3x3 as well.

Aaron

thetrin said:
Sorry guys. I got a little confused when they decided to call it SFIV. I was expecting aesthetic progression to the same degree as SF3, not a regression as we're seeing again.

I like the idea of returning characters, but absolutely NO costume or hairstyle change? Come on. That's just silly. Even Alpha redid costumes.
Costume changes are easier in 3D, so I wouldn't rule that out. It makes sense to show the characters first in their classic styles... but meh. I don't like pretty much everything I've heard about the game. It's going to be a casual fighting game in the Mortal Kombat sense, and that's just not interesting to me after KOF XI and Accent Core.

Tr4nce

Whoa! Almost missed this thread! Man oh man, the Blanka and Guile and Chun-Li artworks look so freaking awesome. It starts to feel like Street Fighter after all, more and more. Blanka looks amazing, and even Zangief who I never liked as a character looks nice. I must have this game day one. DAY ONE, bitches! and edit: Guile and Honda are back! Best street fighter ever and one stage confirmed?

I'm still very doubtful of the SFIV's look. Something about the character models and their facial expressions just looks downright fucked.

Tr4nce

So what do guys think of the HUD?

I think it looks awesome.

scanFamitsu_SFIV.gif

I'm wondering what the green radar like thingy is to the side of the character names.

zoukka

disappeared said:
I'm still very doubtful of the SFIV's look. Something about the character models and their facial expressions just looks downright fucked.

I'm just glad we HAVE facial expressions.

I'm wondering what the green radar like thingy is to the side of the character names.

Could be a meter for Super-moves.

I wonder how they are going to define this game as SFIV, and not just a 3D remake of SFII.

By releasing new stages, modes and characters.

I can't wait for the HYPE-train to start rolling when we get some decent videos with new characters. You guys will melt.

Aeris130

The THIGHS! They are a thunderin ma screen!!!!

But the face. Ugh... Too bad they had to bring Guile back, he should spend some time with his family instead.

ShinNL

I can't feel it. From the information that's available on the net, I feel like it's a step backwards from SF3. A sequel (4) should be better, shouldn't it?

D.Lo

thetrin said:
This just screams catering to those who don't give a shit about fighters anymore. The only people who are ecstatic about the return of a bunch of SF2 characters are people who probably haven't played since Super Turbo, or Alpha 2.
Yep.

Tellaerin said:
I give a shit about fighters, and I'm ecstatic about the oldschool cast returning for this. It's just not Street Fighter without the 'Original 8', which is one of the things I disliked about SF3. If you're going to go with an all-new cast and 'Street Fighter-ish' gameplay, you might as well just call it something else altogether (like Rival Schools, Darkstalkers, etc.) rather than trying to ride on the coattails of the SF series.
So Street Fighter 1, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter Alpha 1, 2, and the arcade version of Alpha 3 are 'just not Street Fighter'?

And how are they the 'original 8' when only two of them were in the original?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Tr4nce said:
It shows what soundtrack they are listening to.

jett

D-Member
I'm gonna have to look at bigger pictures. Chun Li might as well be from that cancelled 3d abomination in that tiny ass pic.

Oh! My Car! said:
Looks awesome, and making it more accessible is a step in the right direction. Fuck the naysayers.

I dont really get this. Unless you truly suck, SF3 was pretty easy to get into. sure tourney play is a different beast but it was pretty easy and fun for us casuals.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
who is Chun-li fighting in that first gameplay shot on her page? looks like a woman dressed in black.

MCD

Kabuki Waq said:
I dont really get this. Unless you truly suck, SF3 was pretty easy to get into. sure tourney play is a different beast but it was pretty easy and fun for us casuals.
i think it's more related to the characters not the gameplay, i am a casual and didn't like the SF3 cast.

Aeris130

Soneet said:
I can't feel it. From the information that's available on the net, I feel like it's a step backwards from SF3. A sequel (4) should be better, shouldn't it?

Did you by any chance read the 1UP interview about the new stuff (Revenge etc.)? In order to take two steps ahead, you must sometimes begin by taking one step back.

fresquito

Looks very good. I dig the style. However, as many people is pointing, this looks just too much like SFII in 3D.

However I'm thinking Capcom is tricking us into believing this, so old fans of the series will turn their heads toward the game. Probably there will be lots of new scenarios and different costumes for each character. Maybe we're just being exposed to the classic costumes, who knows... one can wish.

Anyway, I'm all over this :)

R0nn

People who are whining about this being nothing more than SFII in 3D are being fucking ridiculous. How can this be like SFII when the gameplay isn't even the same? Seriously.

Last I checked, fighters are still primarily about their gameplay mechanics, not how same-y the character roster is. Also, who knows how many new characters have been added in? This could just be the tip of the iceberg. Besides all that, what fighting game series doesn't retain their existing cast? Soul Calibur anyone?

I'm certain the same people would've bitched if Capcom released a completely new roster without retaining any of the old cast (except for Ryu and Ken).

rager

Banned
this is SOOO hot. I cannot wait for this, I just hope it is not limited to just 8 originals and one extra.

Top Bottom