• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Strider game? (XBLA/Steam Leak)

despite having former resident evil people on their team I doubt platinum could make a survival horror.

the tone of their games is too goofy imo that I just doubt them on that front. but seriously Bayonetta, Vanquish and MGR stand as some of the best games this gen so they really are untouchable in any sort of action/shooter standpoint right now.

give them strider.

Persona7

Banned
WerTLeg.gif

so how would you want a 3d Strider game to play like? All about technique and defense like ninja gaiden black or fast/faster than DMC3 with emphasis on evasion and platforming?

IrishNinja

You sure know nothing about Strider. It's owned by like 3 other companies, its amazing Capcom were able to get Hiryu into MvC3. It's a legal nightmare to green-light anything Strider.

wait, what are the details on this?

and the NES game coming first is great, Genesis one still poops on it from a high ledge

trent you are literally the first person to say that ever, though

guess ill keep waiting till its free on PS+

Sorry, I couldn't read through the whole thread. Moon Diver wasn't very popular though, so I thought it might have been possible, but unlikely, that no one mentioned it.

beril

I wouldn't say always.. GRIN and Ninja Theory come to mind. Moreso GRIN.

Grin was actually working on a Strider prototype at one point; not sure how far along it was before being shut down, as I had already left the company by then. I think there's a leaked teaser video somewhere.

eso76

so how would you want a 3d Strider game to play like? All about technique and defense like ninja gaiden black or fast/faster than DMC3 with emphasis on evasion and platforming?

I think that's the dilemma that has kept Strider from returning in 3d form for many years.
It's hard to make that concept work today.
Focusing on combos and technique wouldn't suit; the original put a lot of emphasis on platforming, jumping, climbing with a single attack move and something like that would be perceived as way too shallow for a retail game.

Anyway, this is certainly going to be 2.5D. I mean, XBLA already gives it away.
Not a straight remake of the arcade since the logo is different and the artwork is not from any stage of the original. Plus, Strider arcade is a game you can complete in like 10 minutes and that's just not acceptable today.
NES version was somewhat meatier in structure, but also far from the original in many ways.

I hope it retains Strider arcade structure and artstyle with tons more content and setpieces, but i'm sure this will turn from most wanted to disappointmenton in a matter of seconds.

Make it sprites not polygons

Is there literally anyone that can do that anymore? Name me a developer that Capcom MIGHT consider to do such a task that's within the realm of reason.

wait, what are the details on this?

I have a great Retro Gaming magazine from the UK. In it, they have a super long interview with a former Capcom employee who walks them through the creation of Strider. It was a joint venture between two capcom teams and a studio of manga artists. They were responsible for the story and fleshing out the world in a series of mangas. And like I mentioned, the two teams were seperated into arcade and NES, each striving to be a completely different game. An apple and an orange, to this day it strikes me as odd that people hate on the NES version so much for being different.

It's like saying Mega Man The Power Battles is better than Mega Man 2. They're completely different things.

Anyway, if you look in the credits of any game that has Strider in it, like the Vs games, you'll often see, "Strider (C) Makoto Publishing, 1999, 2000" for example. Udon tried to see about doing a comic based on Strider a few years ago, but were flatly told "NO" by Capcom as the licensing issues and fees would not justify the profit a comic could make. Literally everytime Capcom uses Strider they need to pay that manga company.

So the idea of a new game or remake being released is BOGGLING to me. First D&D and now Strider? Capcom paying for dat license.

eso76

Grin was actually working on a Strider prototype at one point; not sure how far along it was before being shut down, as I had already left the company by then. I think there's a leaked teaser video somewhere.

too bad you cannot give us more details as the leaked images left me quite...puzzled.
Feudal japan. Traditional ninjas.
Then some character in a futuristic outfit. Then some futuristic city. Then space.
Would have been interesting to know what was going on there.

IrishNinja

I have a great Retro Gaming magazine from the UK. In it, they have a super long interview with a former Capcom employee who walks them through the creation of Strider. It was a joint venture between two capcom teams and a studio of manga artists. They were responsible for the story and fleshing out the world in a series of mangas. And like I mentioned, the two teams were seperated into arcade and NES, each striving to be a completely different game. An apple and an orange, to this day it strikes me as odd that people hate on the NES version so much for being different.

Anyway, if you look in the credits of any game that has Strider in it, like the Vs games, you'll often see, "Strider (C) Makoto Publishing, 1999, 2000" for example. Udon tried to see about doing a comic based on Strider a few years ago, but were flatly told "NO" by Capcom as the licensing issues and fees would not justify the profit a comic could make. Literally everytime Capcom uses Strider they need to pay that manga company.

So the idea of a new game or remake being released is BOGGLING to me. First D&D and now Strider? Capcom paying for dat license.

that's...wow, okay. at least know i know why we haven't really seen him much since the PS1 days, doesn't make me feel much better about it but at least i know now, thanks man

I own this on Sega Mega Drive (Genesis). Strider is one of the greatest game (and one of the first 8 Megabyte cartridge).
I can't wait for HD successor.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

Was also the reason I was so shocked to see him in UMVC3. Must be a legal nightmare anytime the character makes an appearance in anything. However, TVC did make it to the states. The biggest legal nightmare of them all.

One-hit enemy kills, acrobatics, and lots of wall/ceiling hanging. Drawn-out enemy-room combat sequences - and combos - would be out of place. The game moves fast and shouldn't be bogged down like that.

Strider was actually one of the first examples of the linear, cinematic action game style that's so prevalent now, so you'd think somebody out there would be able to get it right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was also the reason I was so shocked to see him in UMVC3. Must be a legal nightmare anytime the character makes an appearance in anything. However, TVC did make it to the states. The biggest legal nightmare of them all.
Capcom to tackle Shonen Jump next confirmed.

vg260

I dunno, Marvel sounds like a handful themselves.

abadguy

Banned
One-hit enemy kills, acrobatics, and lots of wall/ceiling hanging. Drawn-out enemy-room combat sequences - and combos - would be out of place. The game moves fast and shouldn't be bogged down like that.

Strider was actually one of the first examples of the linear, cinematic action game style that's so prevalent now, so you'd think somebody out there would be able to get it right.

Brofist.png

I'd like a re-release of the earlier games, please. Do it like Final Fight Double Impact, or the fantastic Sega Vintage Collection stuff by M2.

This capcom panel is going to be something, between how Ono said there was something fighting game-related, Sven being Sven, a bunch of games people want, its going to be glorious

Also, i do want this reboot, bad.

After the Moon Diver debacle my hopes are already high, regardless of developer. I like to imagine Square-Enix's input squandered any potential the game had, and Isuke wasn't behind the overly long, boring stages and fake RPG elements. I feel like he only did the story and a handful of sections of the game.

Each entry in the series has been done by a different team and not even Isuke could salvage Moon Diver, so the series is up for grabs by anyone at this point. Although I must say Arc System proved themselves with Hard Corps: Uprising by making the best 2D action game to come around in a long time (although it's not without its flaws).

But I'm not going to lose hope if so-and-so is announced as the developer. I've been surprised by developers with lackluster track records before, and sometimes the original team has been outdone by different developers.

eso76

perfect.
But like i said, i'm not sure a similar concept is marketable today

When is this going to be revealed ?

sn00zer

Really hoping for 3d game 2d gameplay...with art direction taken from Strider 2...god Strider 1 looks bad

Old and bland
strider_(13).gif

Old but super awesome
strider2-3.jpg

abadguy

Banned
Strider 1 looked incredible for its day, the Megadrive conversion was nothing short of mind blowing at the time.

Pretty much. That ( and Altered Beast) are what made me want a Genesis, and Strider got a lot of playtime in my console. Never got a chance to play Strider 2, since it came out when i had a DC and i had already dropped my PS1 like a hot potato by then. Hate that they cancelled the DC version.

Top Bottom