• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Strider game? (XBLA/Steam Leak)

eso76

Really hoping for 3d game 2d gameplay...with art direction taken from Strider 2...god Strider 1 looks bad

Old and bland
Old but super awesome

lol, don't listen to this guy.
Strider 2 was a disgrace to the original and should have never existed.

586498_39043_front.jpg

so what about this?

back then capcom already fucked things up.

oh yeah... this is pretty interesting:

http://www.unseen64.net/2012/04/06/strider-cancelled-xbox-360-ps3-pc/

Strider Returns was a some kind of one-off licensing deal to publisher, U.S. Gold, and developer, Tiertex. Game was slow and sucked and is way different from whatever Grin was developing, I'm sure.

Can't wait to play a nicely-emulated package of Strider and its official sequel, but I hope that whatever the new one is will be a remake of the NES game in 2.5D, like Bionic Commando Rearmed. Probably not, though.

I think that's the dilemma that has kept Strider from returning in 3d form for many years.
It's hard to make that concept work today.
Focusing on combos and technique wouldn't suit; the original put a lot of emphasis on platforming, jumping, climbing with a single attack move and something like that would be perceived as way too shallow for a retail game.

Anyway, this is certainly going to be 2.5D. I mean, XBLA already gives it away.
Not a straight remake of the arcade since the logo is different and the artwork is not from any stage of the original. Plus, Strider arcade is a game you can complete in like 10 minutes and that's just not acceptable today.
NES version was somewhat meatier in structure, but also far from the original in many ways.

I hope it retains Strider arcade structure and artstyle with tons more content and setpieces, but i'm sure this will turn from most wanted to disappointmenton in a matter of seconds.

Make it a stealth game but the stealth is based on speed. Make strider amazingly fast but if you are spotted because you didnt build up enough speed you are basically done for.

Tain

based ArcSys. man, I would flip.

If ArcSys could surprise the hell out of me in 2011, there have to be some other devs out there that could still make an excellent 2D action platformer.

maybe even devs still employed at Capcom!

abadguy

Banned
Yeah Strider was about as far from "bland" as you could possibly get, from the art style, game play and ( again) excellent soundtrack it had it's own feel to it. The airship level was always my favorite. Funny as hell when you made a mistake and stepped on one of those catapult things and it sent your ass flying off the ship at high speed.

Strider 2 (Strider Returns) is a piece of s that Capcom should never let happen.

The original Strider is a great memory from my childhood. Let`s hope Capcom does not destroy it. Any remake new version should have futuristic soviet soldiers!

And bland, really?

eso76

Yeah Strider was about as far from "bland" as you could possibly get, from the art style, game play and soundtrack

Indeed.

Members of the politburo joining and transforming into a giant uroboro.
The mechanical gorilla exploding and setting the place on fire.
The headhunter chasing you, running downhill to the section where you can only see black silhouettes against those purple animated clouds, hitching a ride on the helicopters to reach the flying battleship, the 3 Chinese dancers, the zero gravity room where you're sent orbitating around that...spherical thing.
And the soundtrack, with 3/5 different tracks for each stage.

Bland ?

By Strider 2 do you mean

or this?

The official sequel from Capcom.*

I said 'disgrace to the original'.
U.S.gold's Strider 2 was a disgrace to humanity.

* still a good game on its own, mind you, but had nothing of what made the original legendary

Strider's first boss has the entire Russian political body joining together into a giant snake dragon thing

Not many games can say that

Not many games have a giant mechagorilla either

still inferior to Strider 2

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Strider 2 is ugly

that's my main problem with it

improved character design though

Yep

a couple generations too early for 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds. I was fine with it in Hard Corps Uprising

but Strider 2 looked like straight up booty

Tizoc

Yep

a couple generations too early for 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds. I was fine with it in Hard Corps Uprising

but Strider 2 looked like straight up booty

Eh it looked fine to me, though I'd loooooooooove to see what it'd look on dat Vita OLED.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd really just like to see them do a good port of Strider 2 for XBLA or something. The arcade version was much better than what we got on the PS1.

I would actually be down for this. The NES version, while completely different than the original Strider, was pretty interesting and fun. Strider is a great arcade game for its time and it looked amazing on Genesis, but it was kind of shallow and short. It's kind of like playing any of the old classic beat-em-ups on XBLA. It's just not as fun when you have infinite continues or you are not playing in the arcade.

yeah, nostalgia is such a powerful thing. i've bought a few of these 10/15 dollar remakes, only to play them a few minutes and never touch them again.

but i feel like i'd def play this one more.

Tain

It's kind of like playing any of the old classic beat-em-ups on XBLA. It's just not as fun when you have infinite continues or you are not playing in the arcade.

Playing those games with infinite continues makes zero sense unless you're actively trying to remove all of the challenge and tension and decision-making.

Dwingvatt

Banned
It really wasn't, but I've long since accepted being pretty much alone on this on GAF. If that's what qualifies as "very horrible", then I envy you for never being subjected to actually terrible games.

I've been subjected to horrible games such as Quantum Theory, Super Man 64, Damnation and Ninja Gaiden 3, BloodRayne (WayForward version) just happen to be one of them.

Korigama

I've been subjected to horrible games such as Quantum Theory, Super Man 64, Damnation and Ninja Gaiden 3, BloodRayne (WayForward version) just happen to be one of them.
You have got to be kidding if you honestly think there's any comparison between it and garbage like that.
As opposed to the masterpieces that were BloodRayne 1 and BloodRayne 2, amirite?
Seriously. Games like Mindjack and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City belong alongside the crap he mentioned.

Dwingvatt

Banned
As opposed to the masterpieces that were BloodRayne 1 and BloodRayne 2, amirite?

You sound upset dude, relax. I don't think I ever said Bloodrayne 1 and 2 were masterpieces. Learn how to read next time before you get so defensive.

You have got to be kidding if you honestly think there's any comparison between it and garbage like that.

Gameplay was horrible, controls were horrible. The character was all over the place. I love hard games even some to the point of getting me a little frustrated, but this game was beyond frustrating mainly due to the shitty gameplay and controls.

Seriously. Games like Mindjack and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City belong alongside the crap he mentioned.

I've never played them, so I wouldn't know. I only listed games I've played and there are more I can probably list on there like Duke Nukem Forever, Too Human and Wik: Fable Souls.

Korigama

I've never played them, so I wouldn't know. I only listed games I've played and there are more I can probably list on there like Duke Nukem Forever, Too Human and Wik: Fable Souls.
Yeah, we're done here. Even I know how to distinguish between games I simply don't like (DmC, RE6) and digital afterbirth.
WayForward BloodRayne was so damn bad
Yeah, no. Especially not compared to things like...those. Just...ugh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Was also the reason I was so shocked to see him in UMVC3. Must be a legal nightmare anytime the character makes an appearance in anything. However, TVC did make it to the states. The biggest legal nightmare of them all.

Project X Zone was probably even more of a legal nightmare, no?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what that means. I have Super Meat Boy, and I don't see any relation.

Really loose slippery platforming if that makes sense

really annoying in a game that demands alot of the player in that regard. I remember alot of jumps requiring that backwards higher jump that was a pain in the ass to do

Basically the game controlled like shit

Wonko_C

I'd really just like to see them do a good port of Strider 2 for XBLA or something. The arcade version was much better than what we got on the PS1.

I've always heard people saying the arcade looked better than the PS1 version. I saw them side by side and saw no difference. I would love to see a breakdown comparison between them to see where are the differences.

Also, Mac owner. So unless they do an OSX version that's out too.

And before anybody says it, I'm running off an SSD, no real room for a Windows partition. And I totally can't be bothered to set up an external Windows boot disk, that's too much effort when I have too many games backlogged already.

It's just, y'know, this is Strider. That's my jam.

Top Bottom