• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

Aeana said:
The primary appeal of the Suikoden series for many fans is the way the world and lore has been built over the course of the series. The million worlds are different dimensions that allow the creators to totally ignore the established lore. Hence disappointment.

Weird. Are the games still fun/good?

Galamauth

nearly vomited with excitement

then realized this is following in the vein of Tierkreis.

my deep depression is finally allowing me to realize that they have fully abandoned the old world of Suikoden 1-5. RIP

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know. I'm glad Konami is actually developing a new Suikoden title It will probably stay in Japan, or maybe be put on PSN so people will play it on Vita here. I'm happy that they're keeping the Suikoden IP afloat somehow, even if it's not what I want. I just love the original world, lore, politics and characters so much. It's sincerely near and dear to my heart.

But if this is how Konami is going to use the Genso Suikoden name, then... to be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about this. I need to know more about this game, the gameplay mechanics, the plot, etc. before passing judgement on it. I know for sure that I'll play it, but... I don't know how to feel about this.

I'm just hoping that it'll satisfy that Genso Suikoden itch that's been begging to be scratched. But ... I don't think I'm going to hold my breath on that one.

Gunloc said:
It's not that Tierkreis was a bad game per say, it was adequate for a nice, light RPG. It's just that I can't believe that they'd still stay away from the main canon series after the overwhelmingly bleh reception it got for totally forsaking the original continuity.

I'm going to wait for more information, but this is already looking disappointing. Such highs and lows in the course of a few minutes. :/
Yeah, it's ... uh, I don't think I've gone to such a high and then ended up crashing in a matter of seconds. :lol

Tierkreis was a great RPG, and I should really play it again to give it a proper unbiased playthrough. But it wasn't a great Suikoden title based on the fact that it did not have a lot of links to the original canon (despite GS4 and Tactics having links to the million worlds issue).

duckroll

Gunloc said:
Tierkreis featured this concept as basically a way to reboot the series when the main draw of the games before that was the deep and rich continuing narrative and world that the past eight games spent building.

The game itself is not bad, but it was a disappointment to most because it ignored almost everything that made the past games great.

I'll say it since no one else wants to say it:

KONAMI IS TROLLING THE FANS AND THEY WILL NEVER GET A HARMONIA STORY GAME.

Yeah, that's basically what's going on!

It's a "test" we can't pass.

If Suikoden fans dislike it, Suikoden is a useless IP. If Suikoden fans like it, Suikoden fans want more games like the "test" games.

ctrayne

BigJiantRobut said:
Weird. Are the games still fun/good?
If you can be patient through 10 hours of necessary exposition, Suikoden V is one of the best RPGs on the PS2. The main draw is the story, as they tend to lean towards the political intrigue side of things. Never do you save the world - just your country.

kuroshiki

Guys since the director of original harmonia saga is no longer with Konami, Konami can't make Harmonia saga that is actually quite good.

Why so bitching about this? This is 100000000x better than Pachinko we were expecting. It is still Suikoden.

ctrayne said:
If you can be patient through 10 hours of necessary exposition, Suikoden V is one of the best RPGs on the PS2. The main draw is the story, as they tend to lean towards the political intrigue side of things. Never do you save the world - just your country.

Agreed. I adore that game.

I really love Suikoden 3 too.

duckroll said:
I'll say it since no one else wants to say it:

KONAMI IS TROLLING THE FANS AND THEY WILL NEVER GET A HARMONIA STORY GAME.

Yeah, that's basically what's going on!
I don't even particularly care if it was Harmonia based or not. They could set it in freaking Katana, Luikan's Hermitage, the Dwarves vault, etc. for all I care. Just give us the original world back. :(

duckroll

Gunloc said:
I don't even particularly care if it was Harmonia based or not. They could set it in freaking Katana, Luikan's Hermitage, the Dwarves vault, etc. for all I care. Just give us the original world back. :(

Konami is going to announce Suikoden - The Dwarves Vault next. Facebook resource management game!

jgwhiteus

I thought there was some article / interview a while ago about how all the RPG people at Konami who had made the Suikodens were no longer with the company or disbanded or something, and Konami no longer had the know-how to do them - so I thought that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "mainline" Suikodens?

EDIT: Yes, it was this thread, a little over a month ago: "Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How"

While conducting an interview on 4gamer for their new upcoming RPG Frontier Gate a couple Konami employees stated that they were designing Frontier Gate from scratch as they had previously disbanded their Suikoden team and had therefore lost all their RPG-creation know-how.
Needless to say this is grim news for the Suikoden community. But, it does not mean a new team cannot take over the Suikoden name later. Konami has done this before with other franchises, such as Silent Hill. There is also still the possibility of re-releases of existing content and side projects, such as the Pachislot machine.

//Mod Edit:

The person who directed Suikoden Tierkreis is working on Frontier Gate, so that means it's quite unlikely that Konami is working on any kind of Suikoden project for the foreseeable future.

Frontier Gate is also a concept that came from Konami itself, and seems to be their only internally driven ambition in the RPG market right now, as Labyrinth was an idea that spawned from Tri-Ace. It was a bit like a trade, where Konami would publish Labyrinth (Tri-Ace's idea) and Tri-Ace would develop Frontier Gate (Konami's idea).

Aeana

jgwhiteus said:
I thought there was some article / interview a while ago about how all the RPG people at Konami who had made the Suikodens were no longer with the company or disbanded or something, and Konami no longer had the know-how to do them - so I thought that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "mainline" Suikodens?

EDIT: Yes, it was this thread, a little over a month ago: "Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How"
Like with Frontier Gate, Konami most likely has a development partner for this game to take care of that.

duckroll said:
Oh dear. Oh oh dear Konami. This is not what Suikoden fans want. Lol. This is going further and further into the ballsack of Suikoden Tactics, Suikoden 4 and Suikoden DS. The trailer going "A brand new million worlds story" is such a horrible sign. Classic Suikoden is truly dead. Lolz.
Oh. And I was so excited by the title.

What was that game Murayama was apparently working on? The man was a genius, I don't understand how he hasn't made any RPG's since he left halfway through Suikoden III.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
How well did Tierkreis sell in Japan anyway?

Assuming it did poorly, you'd think they'd stay with the mainline, but you never know with devs I guess XD;

duckroll

LiquidSolid said:
What was that game Murayama was apparently working on? The man was a genius, I don't understand how he hasn't made any RPG's since he left halfway through Suikoden III.

I think the game he was working on is called Unemployment. Not sure though, ask him! Lol. :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think I died a little bit inside.

And this getting localized... Yeah. :(

Vamphuntr

Wow this thread keeps destroying hope. Reading the thread title I was happy and was reminding myself how Konami admitted to disbanding the Suikoden team not too long ago. Now all your posts are reading as if it's going to be another Tierkreis :(,

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:

Assuming it did poorly, you'd think they'd stay with the mainline, but you never know with devs I guess XD;
I think we compiled numbers last time...

Here's one of the posts. And another.

Akselziys said:
As for USA LTD sales of Suikoden...

Suikoden III - 239,838
Suikoden IV - 140,585
Suikoden Tactics - 80,329
Suikoden V - 101,657

Tierkreis - 56,498

And then, this for all JP sales:

a3cpP.png

Edit: Here is the twitter account for the new Suikoden title: http://twitter.com/#!/genso573

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they'd do an HD port of Suikoden III-V. I'll gladly take it
for Suikoden V only

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
No idea why they bother throwing the Suikoden monikor on it when the following occurs:

- Suikoden fans see through the lies of what Konami intended and don't buy it
- it is unrealistically compared to Suikoden II and the rest of the hierarchy

Ditch the name and start with something new. The IP is dead. The only reason why I would bother to play this is due to the music.

kuroshiki

LiquidSolid said:
Oh. And I was so excited by the title.

After he bombed tsukiyoni saraba (and rightfully so...) so bad, and decline of overall RPG genre, I don't think there are anyone who wants to hire him.

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
for Suikoden V only
I'd like a Suikoden 3 that actually runs at 60 FPS all the time instead of like 25% of the time. And fixed running animations.

Aeana said:
I'd like a Suikoden 3 that actually runs at 60 FPS all the time instead of like 25% of the time. And fixed running animations.

Call me crazy (you actually might), but one of the reasons I love Suikoden 3 is that it looks and feels like a Dreamcast game. Reminds me heavily of Skies of Arcadia, visually.

ULTROS!

I only want Suikoden III HD for the opening.

Hmm, I wonder how the twitter account will play in depending on how this game will connect to the main series. (If at all...)

I guess they're gonna keep pushing this million worlds thing until they confirm without a doubt that Suikoden is in no shape or form a profitable franchise anymore.

Sad days.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
for Suikoden V only
Bah, I'll take all three
(even GS3; didn't like it much in some ways gameplay-wise)
and Tactics!

It'll go nicely with my copy of Genso Suikoden I&II PSP. :D

Eusis

Akselziys said:

I guess the million worlds thing works both ways: If people like it they stay in that setting. If people don't like it, then they can jump to another setting and try a different approach entirely while avoiding addressing the main continuity until they're confident they can do it justice or whatever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gunloc said:
Hmm, I wonder how the twitter account will play in depending on how this game will connect to the main series. (If at all...)
I somehow suspect that the way they will handle that will be like they did with Tierkreis and try their hardest to get old fans interested via interview questions, statements to the press, etc. The Twitter account is probably just another avenue to do that; reassure fans directly, link to media, etc.

*sigh*

I feel exhausted now.
I know exactly how you feel. -_-

huggles

Neo Member
kuroshiki said:

At 0:19 when you see the panning burning area, all I could think of was that image of Luca Blight standing in the flames in his crazy glory...

Then I hoped that it's basically time travel and you revisit previous Suiko eras with the way it's hinting about history.

Then I realized I'm getting my hopes up for doom and tears of what it will inevitably be :(

Dark Schala said:
I somehow suspect that the way they will handle that will be like they did with Tierkreis and try their hardest to get old fans interested via interview questions, statements to the press, etc. The Twitter account is probably just another avenue to do that; reassure fans directly, link to media, etc.
You'd think they would of got the message last time that this is not what anyone wants.

All we can do now is wait for more info and hope that this will still somehow tie into the main series. I'd love to be surprised and learn that this will actually add to the canon, but right now I don't know how to feel.

kuroshiki said:
After he bombed tsukiyoni saraba (and rightfully so...) so bad, and decline of overall RPG genre, I don't think there are anyone who wants to hire him.
Pfft. Level 5 should hire him. Matsuno and he could then mould the perfect RPG (hopefully without Hino's interference) and all would be right with the world.

Guys really at this point, you need to make peace(given the years upon years) that the series isn't what many hoped it would turn out to be.

How many people here even played Tierkeris? It was a decent game that certainly didn't break any new ground but it had it's highlights. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that Suikoden for better or worse is what it is now. Series encompass such a small niche within a niche I often wonder how a "proper" Suikoden title would overseas or in the West. For now, I'm waiting to see what they make of this new RPG.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gunloc said:
You'd think they would of got the message last time that this is not what anyone wants.

All we can do now is wait for more info and hope that this will still somehow tie into the main series. I'd love to be surprised and learn that this will actually add to the canon, but right now I don't know how to feel.
It seemed to do okay in Japan sales-wise across both its budget version and the regular version, but the mk2 scores seem to indicate that that reception among players was split. But in the fandom (the NA fandom at least), longtime fans didn't seem to appreciate its direction in terms of the narrative and lore. I wish I know what justified Konami's reasoning to continue in the Tierkreis-esque direction, I really do.

I want to be enthusiastic and optimistic and hope that everything will work out for the best. But knowing that they're going further into that direction with the series makes me feel doubt, I guess? I have mixed feelings and I don't really know how I should feel. I'll wait for more media, sure. I'll probably even import it/play it. I just need to know more about its ties to the series (if any at all; but if they're going the Tierkreis route, I don't really feel good about it).

All of this is just exhausting.

Labadal

Question about Tierkreis. I know it is a disappointment for Suikoden fans, but if you rated it on its own, is it any good? I have been thinking of buying it, but would need some clarification if it is an ok game.

vall03

Labadal said:
Question about Tierkreis. I know it is a disappointment for Suikoden fans, but if you rated it on its own, is it any good? I have been thinking of buying it, but would need some clarification if it is an ok game.
we talked about it in a thread before, it was a good DS RPG, but not a good Suikoden

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Labadal said:

It's really not bad, other than not having anything to do with the Suikoden universe much. The only bad points for me was the 4 person battle system and the lack of difficulty.

Labadal

vall03 said:
we talked about it in a thread before, it was a good DS RPG, but not a good Suikoden

Ah, I see. That was kinda what I was expecting. Will probably pick it up since there's a cheap copy at my local game store.

Top Bottom