• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros (Wii) Hype Thread of 2D/4-Player COOP Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Andrex said:
180px-SMG_IceFlower.jpg
150px-Ice_Mario.jpg

I must have just imagined those levels in Super Mario Galaxy...

SMFH GiantBomb.
:lol they made such a big deal about it

Blueblur1

Andrex said:
http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/6/63/SMG_IceFlower.jpg/180px-SMG_IceFlower.jpg[img] [img]http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/6/69/Ice_Mario.jpg/150px-Ice_Mario.jpg[img]

SMFH GiantBomb.[/QUOTE]
Brad's only human. He can make a mistake or not have played/finished SMG. Relax.

This game is so awesome,makes the original NSMB looks like a bland and uninspired game,i just can´t tell if i'm more excited for this or for mario galaxy 2

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
HUELEN10 said:
It's a shell called the BOSS, or Big Oversized Super Shell.
2yxq80w.jpg

A banned site wrote a decent preview/review on it. I'll have to try it out myself to see if it is any good...
***** is banned? Not according to the FAQ I am reading:
http://wii.*****.com/article.php?artid=14911

... I guess it is banned then. Damn out of date FAQ. Well, here is the review anyhow:
The Big Oversized Super Shell, or BOSS, is a cool little accessory for the Nintendo Wii. Basically, the BOSS is a plastic shell that houses a standard Wii remote which allows the user to use the Wii remote much like a classic video game controller. The feel of the button layout is best described as one part NES and one part SNES, but a bit more bulky. After having a BOSS overnighted to us for review, we put it to the test.

At first glance BOSS looks like a bit of a monster, and it is pretty large to hold in your hands, but after spending some time with it you quickly get a feel for the button layout and it actually is quite comfortable to use if you have medium to large sized hands. The button layout, which actually just actuates the Wii remote buttons within the shell, is definitely more comfortable to navigate than the tiny Wii remote, so for games like Mario Kart and the handful of Virtual Console games we tried, using the BOSS made more sense than just a bare Wii remote. The only issue we can think of is that younger children might have trouble wrapping their hands around the size of the product, but it performs perfectly well for the adult crowd.

Another cool feature of the product is that it comes in different colors that all have a Mario-esque feel to them. BOSS is obviously not usuable with a nunchuck setup, but for games like the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. Wii or any current games that use the Wii remote in the sideways hold, this is a good value at $9.99 each to give some added comfort to your play sessions.

BOSS succeeds over other shell-type products in that it provides a better value. Most of the shell products out there are one-trick pony products that are either geared toward a single game or even a single activity within a game (such as the golf club or tennis racket attachments). For under $10, you can get the basic functionality of the Classic Controller (minus analog sticks and shoulder buttons), and you can buy a whole set of four for the price of a single standard controller. While the product isn't flawless, and it might be hard for the young ones to use, it's going to be hard to find a more recommendable 3rd party controller shell any time soon.

Here is one on Amazon, comes out the 22nd it seems:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QBMVJY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And some pictures from Amazon:
51RF2uTa9-L.jpg

511tgoB4QgL.jpg

No clue if they will still be making the NSMBWii themed ones though.

RagnarokX

Andrex said:
180px-SMG_IceFlower.jpg
150px-Ice_Mario.jpg

SMFH GiantBomb.
Giant Bomb: "Like NSMB DS, this one operates with a simple world map that you navigate to get from stage to stage, but this time there seems to be a lot more side activities going on in between the actual stages. Remember in Mario 3, how you could go into mushroom houses to get new items? Or you'd run into enemies on the world map from time to time and had to fight them? All that stuff is in here, and it works with all four players."

Um... remember when those things were in New Super Mario Bros. DS? They may have made them more robust, but it's not like the previous game didn't have them.

totowhoa

Banned
Drkirby said:
Damn out of date FAQ.

GAF is a great forum, but they seem to excel in failing to update their rules, which is humorously ironic. I randomly learn of new bannings such as this... glad I'm not a frequent thread creator or linker, I guess.

Mode8

Banned
Blackbird| said:
This game is so awesome,makes the original NSMB looks like a bland and uninspired game,i just can´t tell if i'm more excited for this or for mario galaxy 2

I think it's still a matter of whether you like single-player or multi-player.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sklorenz said:
GAF is a great forum, but they seem to excel in failing to update their rules, which is humorously ironic. I randomly learn of new bannings such as this... glad I'm not a frequent thread creator or linker, I guess.

Indeed.

NeoGAF
It doesn't hurt to lurk™.

totowhoa

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
What does that controller shell need batteries for?

Didn't see anything about the shell needing batteries. The wiimote does, of course. I may have missed something, I dunno...

totowhoa

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
Those are stickers? They look like 2 AAA batteries.

Look like stickers to me. After Nabs responded above you, I zoomed in and checked the image up close... still look like stickers. I'm pretty sure it's just a shell.

RagnarokX

HUELEN10 said:
2584c90.png

Wut?

9.8/10? Who said that, and what does it even mean? :lol
:lol

I can't imagine them making NSMBW more fun to play. The 1 and 2 buttons are at the wrong angle to hold run and press jump at the same time. The GCN pads have the same problem when trying to play Mario games on VC. You have to hold them with your right hand backwards.

HUELEN10

Free avatar.
s453wg.jpg

Seriously, what were they thinking? Pelican aka PDP is distributing the product, but who is actually making it? This slogan on the front also leads me to believe that we can say goodbye to the NSMBW branded ones. Stuff like that makes it seem shoddier than what it already probably is. :lol

HUELEN10 said:
The problem is that I try to link and time my jumps like in, well pretty much every other 2D Mario, and instead of being able to jump carefree, I sometimes activate a double/triple jump. I find that I sometimes have to interrupt my flow by changing my timing, and that really takes away a lot of the fun of the game for me.
You are like reading my mind or something.

The problem with the triple jump is that, at full speed, if you want to jump immediately after landing from a jump, you're forced to jump relatively high. There are a lot of situations in Mario games where you are jumping repeatedly at full speed, and a key element of Mario level design is about forcing you to vary your jump height and distance. The triple jump kind of ruins a lot of that.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
AniHawk said:
I don't think I've ever seen a game so misrepresented by so many people before. Good god, we knew most of this stuff months ago.
timetokill said:
So maliciously, too! It's really pretty fascinating.
Something about "Mario" just gets some people riled up.

Stupid people hate Mario.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Goddamn I hate the "bah! baddah!" in the music. It was shit in NSMB DS and it's just a shit here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SYNTAX182 said:
I don't know man. It's kinda catchy. Bah! Badah!!

It's catchy, but sickeningly so, and I personally don't feel it's Mario enough. But, I guess it's new, which is what they were going for.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's cult music. Pure and simple. Evil.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SYNTAX182 said:
Exactly. Come play time Andrex will be dancing to it as well, and you know it.

And vomiting on myself as I do it...

I do hope that underground theme from that YouTube vid makes the cut, and that there's more than one "normal stage" track...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
HUELEN10 said:
2584c90.png

Wut?

9.8/10? Who said that, and what does it even mean? :lol
Well, since it doesn't cite anyone, its ether a place holder, or they said it and gave it a score :lol

SYNTAX182

Andrex said:
And vomiting on myself as I do it...

I do hope that underground theme from that YouTube vid makes the cut, and that there's more than one "normal stage" track...

Hey, just as long as you're dancing while playing the game, it's cool with me.

SYNTAX182

Drkirby said:
Well, since it doesn't cite anyone, its ether a place holder, or they said it and gave it a score :lol

:lol . Reminds me of trailers for terrible movies that qoute "AMAZING", and in small caps they cite some random guy that knows nothing about movies. Sleezy advertisements to sell your products = awesome. Someone will probably fall for it too, :lol .

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
SYNTAX182 said:
:lol . Reminds me of trailers for terrible movies that qoute "AMAZING", and in small caps they cite some random guy that knows nothing about movies. Sleezy advertisements to sell your products = awesome. Someone will probably fall for it too, :lol .

The fact that we're talking about it probably means it's already succeeded. Damn you insidious marketing!

Those reviews are always like "This is definitely NOT an amazing movie."

Then the poster says "amazing" on it. Technically, it was in the review, right? :lol

SYNTAX182

BorkBork said:
The fact that we're talking about it probably means it's already succeeded. Damn you insidious marketing!

MasterAJ22 said:
Those reviews are always like "This is definitely NOT an amazing movie."

Then the poster says "amazing" on it. Technically, it was in the review, right? :lol

Ha ha yes. Gullible gullible consumers, how the marketing department loves thee.

JonnyBrad

beje said:
No news about these shells?

153lh83.jpg

As i said earlier in the thread if they had made the angle of the 1-2 buttons the other way round (like you would play mario world on the snes) i would be all over this but as not it looks kinda uncomfortable to do running jumps.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Talladega Knight said:
Ryan had (has?) never played the Ocarina of Time? Shouldn't there be some sort of list of games that MUST have been played to even get a job at some of these places? Sheesh.
Well when you're one of the cofounders of the site... :lol

AniHawk

Talladega Knight said:
Ryan had (has?) never played the Ocarina of Time? Shouldn't there be some sort of list of games that MUST have been played to even get a job at some of these places? Sheesh.

Didn't Garry Whitta first play SMB 3 this year? And he's been around forever.

Nabs

JonnyBrad said:
As i said earlier in the thread if they had made the angle of the 1-2 buttons the other way round (like you would play mario world on the snes) i would be all over this but as not it looks kinda uncomfortable to do running jumps.

blah. i didn't even think of that =\ scratch me off the 'buy' list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom