• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

Ricky_R

lol, ND can't win.

Make scripted cinematic moments in UC3: "This game is a piece of fucking shit. I might as well watch a movie. Fuck this linear pile of shit."

Show a cutscene from TLOU: "Fuck that. Should have been a scripted, playable event."

haha we don't know if he's one of many who actually enjoys those parts on Uncharted, but that's the sad/funny truth. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Loudninja

PlayStation Blogcast 025: The Last of Us Explore the Future of Oddworld
We kick off with a late-breaking interview featuring Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley from Naughty Dog, the creative director and game director of upcoming PS3 survival epic The Last of Us. If you’ve wondered how the game will play compared to UNCHARTED, or how Naughty Dog is handling the game’s decidedly mature themes, today’s shows will provide the answers you need.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...he-last-of-us-explore-the-future-of-oddworld/

Zoibie

From reading the previews, it sounds a little like what I Am Alive was trying to do, only - hopefully - with a little more meat to it.

She still looks like Ellen Page. Now she just looks like Ellen Page circa Hard Candy where as before she looked like Ellen Page circa Inception.

A little offtopic, but anyone ever listen to the PS podcast? Are they worth listening to?

it's great, they like to have guest from various dev. they're enthusiastic about playstation. although sometimes even to the point of kinda ignoring the bad stuff. they rarely discuss sales, etc.

it's not as funny/entertaining as other gaming podcast imo, but I felt it was more informative, you get info for upcoming ps store updates etc. sometimes it really annoy me in other podcast they often forgot or totally make small mistakes when talking about a game. it usually didn't happen with ps blogcast.

Why are people so obsessed with labeling/relating things?

We got it, it's Ellen Page in Walking Dead

It's actually Josh Brolin in I Am Legend.

Or Old Nathan Drake in The Road.

Or Young Natalie Portman and Kinda But Not Really Jean Reno in Leon: The Professional (Post-Apocalyptic Overgrowth Urban Area Edition)

Loudninja

Some old pics
6947132325_558e944c28_z-1.jpg

6801025724_0789a0cc87_z.jpg

6947132089_b37396e87a_z.jpg

6947132361_7f3c8617a6_z.jpg

Has there been any word on whether this is going to be more or less scripted than the Uncharted games?
They only describe it as wide linear, level will be more open than uncharted, but you're still following a linear story so still going from point to point. It's not an open world game

Loudninja

PS blogcast info:
-They want the quiet to be creepy, they want you to hear every footstep,voice and breath to find out where the enemy is.
-The build was from January
-They are not going to have cursing and violence for the sake of it
-The AI will behave differently based on number of people left and what weapons you have or they have.So if one guy is left he will be really scare and hide, so you have to fine him.
-Ellie is 14
-The want to make Ellie capable, she can get into danger sometimes but she can take care of herself.She helps you get out of rough spots.
-They want to give a certain amount of strategy in combat

i think he means if its less linear, a little more open world i think
It less linear than UC but not open world.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann
Got to watch a quick demo of The Last of Us yesterday that looks outstanding. Definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile.

get e3 hype

Bowdz

PS blogcast info:
-They want the quiet to be creepy, they want you to hear every footstep,voice and breath to find out where the enemy is.
-The AI will behave differently based on number of people left and what weapons you have or they have.So if one guy is left he will be really scare and hide, so you have to fine him.
-Ellie is 14
-The want to make Ellie capable, she can get into danger sometimes but she can take care of herself.She helps you get out of rough spots.

iLZ3f7pmLUqgk.gif

Kinyou

PS blogcast info:
-Ellie is 14

I hope they didn't remove some of the cursing just because a few people complained.

Ooccoo

Anyone else have a I Am Legend feeling with this game? Setting is exactly the same, only you don't fight mutants.

Endo Punk

I hope they didn't remove some of the cursing just because a few people complained.

Yeah I agree.. In the context of the game it makes perfect sense to have a lot of foul language.
-They want to give a certain amount of strategy in combat.
So good.

In the preview footage of the ambush, they noted Ellie saying "Hey fuck face!" when trying to get one of the guys' attention away from Joel so...I don't think the language will be that tame in the end.

In the preview footage of the ambush, they noted Ellie saying "Hey fuck face!" when trying to get one of the guys' attention away from Joel so...I don't think the language will be that tame in the end.

but that was from January, we've heard about the ambush scene from previews etc. they could decide to change it since then. the cutscene we got with the new Ellie model have her say "oh, not good" when they're about to get hit by a bus. that doesn't sound like the girl who yell "Fuckface!"

KageMaru

Fuarkin LOL. After seeing that Infected bust, I started thinking about how tense this game could be. If you really are short on ammo and supplies, have a persistent health, and have a hard enough time fighting wanderers, imagine how terrifying it would be to hear screeching from behind you as you are almost out of ammo. Suddenly it become run and hide.

These are the types of moments I hope this game delivers. There was a certain tension in Dead Island when you got separated from your crew and you were near death, and you could hear a mob of zombies running after you but you didn't want to turn around since it meant certain death.

Man the more I think about the possibilities of this type of setting, the more excited I get.

Loudninja

Correct, a brand new look.

Any chance we get to see the press demo of the old build in the pre-E3 special of GTTV Arne? :p
They said in the PSblogcast, that they dont know if they going to release it.

They are not.

A good point was made in the fact she dont curse outside of combat only in life or death situations so far.

They said in the PSblogcast, that they dont know if they going to release it.

They are not.

A good point was made in the fact she dont curse outside of combat only in life or death situations so far.

on 1 hand, the demo is clearly old so it may not represent the game at it's best form, on the other hand, judging from previews, even in the old demo, it already looks great. I really want to see it.

Bowdz

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally got around to watching the trailer - wow... ND doesn't disappoint. I'm not much for survival horror games but this looks really good so far.

Loudninja

on 1 hand, the demo is clearly old so it may not represent the game at it's best form, on the other hand, judging from previews, even in the old demo, it already looks great. I really want to see it.
Yeah I really want to see this.

Just by looking at the old pics I posted above you can see how good looking this game is.

Okay fine... survival action then.
I am glad we had this little talk. ;)

Bombadil

Banned
Eh, I'm not sure that would fit with what they're going for. Night/Day cycles are usually only in open world type games, and this game is going to be fairly linear. I imagine there will be scenarios in which they want a certain time of day/lighting to properly set the mood for whatever level it is.

lol, ND can't win.

Make scripted cinematic moments in UC3: "This game is a piece of fucking shit. I might as well watch a movie. Fuck this linear pile of shit."

Show a cutscene from TLOU: "Fuck that. Should have been a scripted, playable event."

There is a third option here, you know. It's called unscripted gameplay. Like a random encounter. It's something Naughty Dog should look into to get past that whole unnatural, manufactured experience feeling that their Uncharted games give off, in my experience.

Everything about their games is so controlled. Even when they open up the levels, they still have control over what you're going to encounter (eg the desert scene in UC3, when you have an expansive sandy landscape before you, but you can only go to that city). The experience, while gorgeous and detailed, still feels cheapened by my lack of control. Too much direction, not enough spontaneity. For a counter example of something memorable, I once was playing Fallout 3 several years ago and while walking in the Wasteland a mile or so from a city, I heard skirmish coming from the city and wondered whether I should go check it out. Suddenly, a car in the city must have caught fire and exploded; the hood flew several hundred meters in the air and landed at my feet. It was a random experience for me, or at the very least, it felt random, and my love of the game skyrocketed.

I want The Last Of Us to have random experiences that are unique to each player.

Arklite

There is a third option here, you know. It's called unscripted gameplay. Like a random encounter. It's something Naughty Dog should look into to get past that whole unnatural, manufactured experience feeling that their Uncharted games give off, in my experience.
[]
I want The Last Of Us to have random experiences that are unique to each player.

I'd look elsewhere. This is definitely no where near your Fallout story description. Listening/watching Greg Miller acting out the gameplay it's obviously still heavy on the scripting. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, there's room for these types of cinematic games, but people should keep their expectations in check and steer clear if they're looking for a sandbox or giant Fallout-esque RPG.

Loudninja

I dont think hey actually play the game live, I think it was a gameplay video.

So it may sounded scripted but I think think it was.

i-Lo

PS blogcast info:
-Ellie is 14

So MGS level freedom?

Looking the IGN video, I am getting really looking forward to the inevitable E3 gameplay footage.

Top Bottom