• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New THQ Nordic Open-World ARPG "Biomutant" Accidentally Revealed Early [PS4/X1/PC]

lumi7890

MASCOTS ARE BACK.

Sly: Zero Dawn
dVDJiez.gif

PaulloDEC

They had me at that character artwork. He's got a cyborg grasshopper on his shoulder for pete's sake, how could I not want this?

I've wanted to go back and read a few of the books I really loved but a little worried they won't hold up well as an adult. I devoured those books as a kid.

They hold up very well. I read those a couple of years ago, as an adult.

Though I love fantasy book, dislike stuff like Game of Thrones and other overtly violent and edgelord stuff. So your mileage may vary.

I really, really, hope that this game will be in direct contact with that pnp game, I would love to have a game that takes place in the Nordics.

That trailer for the pnp had so many familiar signs and the ship in the brochure looked like a Viking Line ship, it was very fun to watch.

Anyone heard any rumours about the connection between those two? I would imagine that being Swedish, the devs have at least heard about that original Mutant. Maybe even played it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Games have slipped into some kind of time vortex.

Fbh

Looks really cool.
I'm allways up for an RPG that isn't set in a generic Tolkien inspired medieval world

I think this is the studio's first project. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I took a look at a couple of other upcoming THQ Nordic open world projects, such as ELEX, and those worlds look a bit bland; looks like there's not enough to do etc. I hope they don't make this world too big for the things there are to do and for the budget they have. This has a lot of potential. I hope the execution will be right. Open world games on a AA budget are a tough thing to do.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This sounds ace. Consider me interested.

DJIzana

I think this is the studio's first project. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I took a look at a couple of other upcoming THQ Nordic open world projects, such as ELEX, and those worlds look a bit bland; looks like there's not enough to do etc. I hope they don't make this world too big for the things there are to do and for the budget they have. This has a lot of potential. I hope the execution will be right. Open world games on a AA budget are a tough thing to do.

See... That's what worries me. Games like SAO HR, the Tales games etc. Why bother going open world if you don't have a lot to do?

Games like FFXV (now, at least, through patches), Xenoblade, Zelda... They have side quests but they also allow me to create my own fun in the world.

FFXV I can go off-roading in the monster truck, Zelda I can shield board, hang glide, or climb mountains... Xenoblade I can climb mountains, fly around in mechs or fight hidden bosses etc.

A lot of these games miss stuff like that and really sets the bar from AA to AAA.

I think for AA projects, it's better to do a semi-linear world, where certain missions/objectives can do done/obtained in a large level before moving on to the next linear segment rather than make a completely open world where everything needs to be (and stay!) interesting at all time. Then again, these are just my fears for projects like this. I'm really looking forward to the reveal trailer to see what we really can expect from this, instead of speculation.

Clessidor

Setting looks interesting so far. But it seems like they took a lot more artistic freedom with the design of the protagonists. Those pointy ears reminds me more of a cat then a racoon.

But let's see how the gameplay will be. An early 2018 release is also much sooner then I expected.

13ruce

Banned
2018 is gonna be so good finally 2 fantastic gaming years back 2 back.

Hopefully a gameplay trailer is released at Gamescom. This game certainly has me interested alot.

Sendero

Learning about a new game from a printed Ad, is 90's as it comes.

So glad small developers are becoming a thing, once again. It really does feel like a 2nd coming of that era, where there was a lot of experimentation, taking cues from different desing, styles and genres.

It is there --on the indie-- were the bland white/jaded/ex military type of protagonist is more strongly being pushed aside.

Let's hope the gameplay/world side of this game, is as varied as it's hinted at.
Great 1st impression, though.

Top Bottom