• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider Trailer Today

GavinUK86

How is it even a debate as to whether that's gameplay?

It's clearly CG, look at the animation, everything. Also that dialogue delivery is so awful.

It says CGI in the EW article.

Set to voiceover from Lara actress Camilla Luddington, the new CGI tease offers a look at Lara trekking through the frozen wilderness. Out in the snowy mountains, her greatest foe isn't a group of gun-totting villains but nature itself. Lara’s determined, though, to discover… well, what exactly she’s looking for remains a mystery.

Poona

Keeley Hawes is so much better at it than Luddington. We took a massive step down when she left. I'm also slightly curious as to if you will ever find it within yourself to be genuinely critical of this game.

Keeley hasn't left. She recently did Temple of Osiris. I think they still want her for classic iconic Lara.

Still Camilla doesn't seem very Laraish to me. I don't feel her accent is strong enough for Lara.

I'm saying it's my personal preference to have a more action oriented title. If it works out for them and they sell tons of games then I can't fault the change in direction. They will lose the people like me who gave up on Tomb Raider in the past but came back and enjoyed the reboot. They'll have to hope that they gain more "adventure" people than they lose "action" people.

Unfortunately for them they'll have to do quite a bit a marketing because most people will now expect a game like the last one. I predict that there will be a backlash from people like me who will buy Rise of the Tomb Raider expecting a more action oriented title and be bored when there is no one to shoot.
Tomb Raider - the last bastion of games where you get to shoot other people.

How about a game where you get explore and traverse an intricate environment, with glorious ancient puzzles systems instead. That would be something.

oti

Banned
Is there anything other MS related teased for today? I just saw an MS employee implying such on Twitter.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm saying it's my personal preference to have a more action oriented title. If it works out for them and they sell tons of games then I can't fault the change in direction. They will lose the people like me who gave up on Tomb Raider in the past but came back and enjoyed the reboot. They'll have to hope that they gain more "adventure" people than they lose "action" people.

Unfortunately for them they'll have to do quite a bit a marketing because most people will now expect a game like the last one. I predict that there will be a backlash from people like me who will buy Rise of the Tomb Raider expecting a more action oriented title and be bored when there is no one to shoot.
Sounds like a lousy threat. lol

"If they don't make the game I want them to make then I'm going to bitch loudly and look crazy when I talk about how I need to shoot people to enjoy myself!"

Keeley hasn't left. She recently did Temple of Osiris. I think they still want her for classic iconic Lara.

Still Camilla doesn't seem very Laraish to me. I don't feel her accent is strong enough for Lara.
That's genuinely cool. My girlfriend got the Gold Edition for Xmas and it's been on our backlog ever since. Need to get around to it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Even though people here are saying that there is word that it's all CGI, there's some parts that don't look as CG-ish as the rest, like the camera flying over the trees, or the part where she's setting her feet into the cliff.

Conduit

Banned
Even though people here are saying that there is word that it's all CGI, there's some parts that don't look as CG-ish as the rest, like the camera flying over the trees, or the part where she's setting her feet into the cliff.

Like in recent Halo 5 trailer. There was some in-game assets, but purely it's CGI.

That looks amazing. How long until we actually get in-game content like this (including small, important details like the bits of snow tumbling down after she steps forward)? If the gameplay doesn't match these visuals, then I hope we won't have to wait too long. Uncharted 4? Naughty Dog's last PS4 outing, maybe?
My guess is with PS6 we will obtain in game visuals that impressive. IMO, ofcoarse.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Defintely expect a Gamersyde uncompressed video to be released at some point and then let the great resolution debates begin!

We'll see, it depends if S-E is doing the distibution (then maybe we'll get a HQ version, it's hit and miss with them), or if it's Microsoft (then it's youtube only).

dramatis

Why is SE so obsessed with CG trailers? CG trailers are only good when paired with gameplay trailers. A CG trailer on its own tells us nothing about the game, and in two years all we have seen of this game is not one but two CG trailers. If your game isn't far enough along to show gameplay then don't announce the damn thing. Another CG trailer after two years of waiting for this game does nothing but piss me off. If they insist on doing one of these E3 teaser trailers at least make it a super quick in engine trailer like EA did for NFS.
I think it's not so much SE's obsessed with CG trailers as Visual Works is literally the only division of SE that gets anything done on time...So the result is Visual Works does the trailers.

Vuze

Nice CGI but overall disappointing. Can't wait for E3 in general this year and I hope the game will make it to PC at some point next year. Otherwise I'll be missing out on it unfortunately, not going to buy an Xbox One. Really like TR13.

Luddington's Lara voice is awful. Awful. She comes off as a vacuous heiress, sporting an exact English analogue of the Valley Girl accent. She conveys no confidence, no drive, no raison d'etre. That's not the voice of a woman who's dedicated her life to clambering around scary tombs; who studies ancient runes between her gymnastic training schedule; who does this stuff because it's her life's passion.

Even putting aside the idea of What Lara Croft Should Be™ - forgetting the idea of the posh, plummy, confident and capable, Keeley-Hawes-voiced Lara of the past and accepting that a team of developers who refer to her as 'Laura' in interviews have rebooted the character entirely - she doesn't perform the role adequately. She doesn't sell the character. I don't believe her as the person the game is telling me she is. She's rubbish.

oti

Banned
But seriously, what was the intention behind this teaser trailer? Tomb Raider isn't trending on twitter and E3 is just a few weeks away. Did they have to spend some of their budget for this no matter what?

Nice CGI but overall disappointing. Can't wait for E3 in general this year and I hope the game will make it to PC at some point next year. Otherwise I'll be missing out on it unfortunately, not going to buy an Xbox One. Really like TR13.

Next year? I don't think MS paid a lot just for 6 months exclusive or so

Chobel

Box art
CGarRDrW8AAobSC.png:small

Grisby

As far as CG trailers go it was eh, first one was better. But yeah, since the game is supposed to be out this year, I would have expected some sort of gameplay trailer to the lead up of E3.

dex3108

I will wait to see gameplay footage month before release. I was burned too many times with E3 "gameplay" videos. And i want to ses Tombs.

Daffy Duck

It's getting to the point now that I don't even care for these trailers any more, and in turn getting less excited about E3.

I mean aapart from the actual news that X game is coming out, we actually get to see nothing "real" of the game, it may well have always been like this, but I just want to know what it will actually look like when I play it, if you're not ready for that, that's fine but stop with this in-engine/whatever you want to call it practice, because I'm getting tired of it and I don't believe you when you show it off.

Rant over, KTHXBAI

Tomb Raider - the last bastion of games where you get to shoot other people.

How about a game where you get explore and traverse an intricate environment, with glorious ancient puzzles systems instead. That would be something.

The puzzle types of games don't appeal to me. So I liked the direction the reboot of Tomb Raider took, and I don't like the direction Rise of the Tomb Raider is heading. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion? I even said that if the more adventure oriented Tomb Raider sells well then I'm glad for them even though I'm not a fan. If on the other hand it bombs, then I think I'd be justified in pointing out that they probably should have tried on building on the audience like me who was finally starting to warming up to the franchise instead of floundering all over the place trying to substitute one audience for another.

Sounds like a lousy threat. lol

"If they don't make the game I want them to make then I'm going to bitch loudly and look crazy when I talk about how I need to shoot people to enjoy myself!"

Funny how you took that as a threat. It was simply intended as a statement of fact. I didn't like the old formula for Tomb Raider and quit buying the game because of it. The reboot got me to give the franchise another try and I liked what I saw. If they go back to being a more adventure type game then I will go back to not buying it. The thing that is going to really mess them up though is the mixed messages they are sending. No one will know what a Tomb Raider game is supposed to be.

Even with E3 a stone's throw away, I still think not seeing gameplay so close to launch is worrying. I would expect a 2016 delay to align with Uncharted 4, it would make it more interesting from a competitive point of view. (I just want these games to release on the same day and go at it) Also wouldn't showing a gameplay demo today and leaving the CG trailer to Microsoft's conference make more sense?

Even with E3 a stone's throw away, I still think not seeing gameplay so close to launch is worrying. I would expect a 2016 delay to align with Uncharted 4, it would make it more interesting from a competitive point of view. (I just want these games to release on the same day and go at it) Also wouldn't showing a gameplay demo today and leaving the CG trailer to Microsoft's conference make more sense?

Their marketing is tripling down on holiday 2015, there's almost no way it's delayed at this point unless the game bugs like crazy just before going gold.

the teaser did justice. Teased of what i want to watch at e3!!! That would be wicked if that CGI panned the camera to go behind her in TPV and it became instant gameplay.

>=D like in Lost Odyssey when they revealed it. I lost my marbles. My Jaw dropped. Ahh.. i want LO2 now :( ....

Top Bottom