• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider Trailer Today

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
SmartFormalIrishterrier.gif

I don't think it's in-engine. The hair is too good. Even if it was Tress-FX.

Both parts are CGI, thats for sure!

Sad reality is that gameplay doesn't sell games. Showing it in your hypest hype trailers helps you surprisingly little, but can backfire.

Are you talking about The Witcher and all that downgrade bull?

Well i certainly expected gameplay today, especially with that mouth-watering announcement.

Neo Member
I'm loving how epic the trailer was excited to hear more about the story. CGI or not the hype is real roll on E3 just couple days away

ShamePain

Banned
That looks amazing. How long until we actually get in-game content like this (including small, important details like the bits of snow tumbling down after she steps forward)? If the gameplay doesn't match these visuals, then I hope we won't have to wait too long. Uncharted 4? Naughty Dog's last PS4 outing, maybe?

When gamers are ready for 10 years dev cycles for a single game...

That looks amazing. How long until we actually get in-game content like this (including small, important details like the bits of snow tumbling down after she steps forward)? If the gameplay doesn't match these visuals, then I hope we won't have to wait too long. Uncharted 4? Naughty Dog's last PS4 outing, maybe?
Next generation, maybe.

MilkyJoe

SmartFormalIrishterrier.gif

I don't think it's in-engine. The hair is too good. Even if it was Tress-FX.

Never in a million years, right before this part she kicks snow off of the ledge and no way would that be possible, with that level of detail in engine let alone in game.

DOWN

Banned
When gamers are ready for 10 years dev cycles for a single game...

Frankly, you don't have to step up much from The Order to make CGI trailers obsolete. Hell, EA says they're done with CGI thanks to Frostbite tools. Hence Battlefront and Need for Speed doing only in engine trailers.

Never in a million years, right before this part she kicks snow off of the ledge and no way would that be possible, with that level of detail in engine let alone in game.

It's not just the snow: everything about the character seems perfectly rendered. The quality of the .gif isn't pristine, so my praise is somewhat tentative. Still, the hair alone is a marvel. If this were in-game footage, it would be a tremendous achievement. It's not, though.

At any rate, it's still a nice image. I haven't played the first game, but I love Uncharted, and this one seems to be drawing from a similar well (i.e., globetrotting adventure, searching out the unknown, hardscrabble survival, etc.). It seems very much in my wheelhouse. Unfortunately, I only have a PS3 and I feel like I ought to play the remastered version instead of the original. It will have to wait until I can buy a PS4, I guess.

ShamePain

Banned
Frankly, you don't have to step up much from The Order to make CGI trailers obsolete. Hell, EA says they're done with CGI thanks to Frostbite tools. Hence Battlefront and Need for Speed doing only in engine trailers.

We've come very far in solid objects rendering, but for substances that require lots of simulations (water, sand, snow, hair,etc.) we're still years off.

Not for a loooooong time I think. Snow is really hard to dynamically render if it's all particle based like it was in this trailer. Disney did a good piece on how hard snow is to create in a pre-rendered scenario for their movie frozen and really shows how something that seems so simple is actually really complex.

Also, this trailer stunk.

ShamePain

Banned
Yup.

Microsoft exclusivity with this game is like a toddler stealing a gun from a cop, only to then proceed shooting his dick off with said gun. Pathetic.

The hyperbole, jesus. They're building hype, it's doesn't take a genius to figure out. All the goods are held back for E3, just 2 weeks left.

Prine

Banned
...Lara's new expedition commenced shortly after shooting 'Made in Chelsea', Saskia to make guest appearance in luxurious Alpine lodge.

DAT accent, can't take it seriously.

Wait, but if it's CGI its not very impressive lightning wise and stuff. I actually think this is in engine.

In the article it's confirmed to be CGI.

Set to voiceover from Lara actress Camilla Luddington, the new CGI tease offers a look at Lara trekking through the frozen wildnerness. Out in the snowy mountains, her greatest foe isn’t a group of gun-totting villains but nature itself. Lara’s determined, though, to discover… well, what exactly she’s looking for remains a mystery.

Top Bottom