• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Twilight Princess HD footage (of amiibo use)

Mael

Yes, exactly. I've wondered myself why Lanayru Desert felt like a complete different game to the rest, the difference was that dramatic. This area had depth, good story, memoryable moments and much more I love from Zelda, while the other areas felt completely flat. I really hope the Desert team is on Zelda U.

That still doesn't explain why they fucking gated each parts like they were on different planets though.
If there's one thing I absolutely hate with how SS was made is how they decided you HAD to take to the air to get to another area.
They managed to fuck up a fantastic concept in the most boring way.
When you hear about how the next zelda game will allow you to fly over hyrule and stuffs you think
yes.gif

Not a glorified menu screen tied to a minigame.

Heck in the end midna warp was a better traveling method than whatever the fuck they tried to do in SS.
It made traveling on horse trivial (especially since they gave the whistle so late) but at least it wasn't tied to a minigame you had to bother with every single time you wanted to use it.

And you're right the Desert really was the best area of the 3.
The idea of returning to dungeons already done was a fantastic idea squandered by lackluster execution too.

TheMoon

I really hope the Desert team is on Zelda U.

main1.jpg

Koji Kitagawa: 1st area + 1st area dungeon
Fujino: 2nd area (sand sea)
Takemura: 3rd area

Kitagawa since Skyward Sword: (credited under "planning")
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Splatoon

Yohei Fujino since Skyward Sword: (credited under "planning")
  • Pikmin 3

Hiromu Takemura since Skyward Sword: (credited under "planning")
  • Pikmin 3
  • Splatoon

note that they all jumped around between different games during SS development too

rex

That still doesn't explain why they fucking gated each parts like they were on different planets though.
If there's one thing I absolutely hate with how SS was made is how they decided you HAD to take to the air to get to another area.
They managed to fuck up a fantastic concept in the most boring way.
When you hear about how the next zelda game will allow you to fly over hyrule and stuffs you think
yes.gif

Not a glorified menu screen tied to a minigame.

Heck in the end midna warp was a better traveling method than whatever the fuck they tried to do in SS.
It made traveling on horse trivial (especially since they gave the whistle so late) but at least it wasn't tied to a minigame you had to bother with every single time you wanted to use it.

And you're right the Desert really was the best area of the 3.
The idea of returning to dungeons already done was a fantastic idea squandered by lackluster execution too.

I was thinking yesterday of an old idea that I think could have solved a lot of SS problems.

Have the entire game take place in the bad guy's castle

From Iwata Asks for OoT 3D:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/4/0

Iwata Huh? At first you imagined Ganon's Castle as the only setting?

Miyamoto Yes. I thought about putting in all kinds of adventures into the different rooms, like making a dark meadow or an ocean—like in Princess Peach's Castle in Super Mario 64.

Now, the first time I heard this idea I loved it. I wouldn't substitute it for actually having an interconnected world, but I still thought it could be great.

And, in the case of SS, it would solve a lot of problems with how disjointed everything feels.

Everything in the sky could be eliminated, including the birds which I don't think really worked. The town was good, but that could be incorporated into one of the paintings. Same thing with anything you wanted to salvage from the areas leading up to the dungeons.

It could also act as a great change of pace where you can fully realize this castle as a real place, and not just another dungeon.

Not sure at all how it would work in execution. But if you wanted to make a game composed primarily of dungeon like gameplay I think, in theory, this could've worked better than the light overworld we got in the sky.

And the context is there. This is the very first time you encounter this enemy type which is a more complex enemy than the standard Bokoblin with their easy to decipher "hold arm in one of 4 positions to block" pattern. This is why Fi tells you about her "enemy tip" feature at this point which you can then choose to ignore.
You are taking the "context" qualifier out place here. It's was in reference to using the number of interruptions as a way to proof that one character is less annoying than the other. Saying that one does 10 and the other 5, withouth "context" is meaningless.

Yea those are good points. It seems odd to let the player fight enemies that demand different types of sword swings, including the stalfos, and then, having allowed the player to take all that stuff on, suddenly pull the reins back on them.

Also, the enemies there perfectly convey all the info the player needs through the exaggerated design of their arm guards as well as their behavior. There's not much need for anything else.

I don't really like optional advice either when it's accompanied by a flashing icon. I think even that can be distracting. But even that would be preferable to this.
Exactly.

It goes against Nintendo own philosophy of game design. That is teaching the player the basics and ramp up the challenge gradually so the player adapts.

Also the interruption in that particular case is not warranted because Fi had already pointed out the exact same thing in an earlier part of the game. The more healthy way to handle that part if Nintendo was worried, was to just make her icon flash withouth interrupting anything.

TheMoon

You are taking the "context" qualifier out place here. It's was in reference to using the number of interruptions as a way to proof that one character is less annoying than the other. Saying that one does 10 and the other 5, withouth "context" is meaningless.

Even there, Rag had contextualized them? I'm getting slightly dizzy now.

Mael

I was thinking yesterday of an old idea that I think could have solved a lot of SS problems.

Have the entire game take place in the bad guy's castle

From Iwata Asks for OoT 3D:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/4/0

Iwata Huh? At first you imagined Ganon's Castle as the only setting?

Miyamoto Yes. I thought about putting in all kinds of adventures into the different rooms, like making a dark meadow or an ocean—like in Princess Peach's Castle in Super Mario 64.

Now, the first time I heard this idea I loved it. I wouldn't substitute it for actually having an interconnected world, but I still thought it could be great.

And, in the case of SS, it would solve a lot of problems with how disjointed everything feels.

Everything in the sky could be eliminated, including the birds which I don't think really worked. The town was good, but that could be incorporated into one of the paintings. Same thing with anything you wanted to salvage from the areas leading up to the dungeons.

It could also act as a great change of pace where you can fully realize this castle as a real place, and not just another dungeon.

Not sure at all how it would work in execution. But if you wanted to make a game composed primarily of dungeon like gameplay I think, in theory, this could've worked better than the light overworld we got in the sky.

I think that idea works way better, it's a bit too "samey" like SM64 to really work but having the overworld being the place run by the bad guys like making a LotR game happening only in Mordor could work.
The issue would be fast travel but it's could work.
I mean this is basically the setting of Shadowgate or Dark Castle, it is absolutely feasible.
Heck the 1town as a hub for sidequests and whatnot could have been the city salvaged by the goddess(es, seriously Hylia serves no purpose narrative-wise).
They give you a trinket that can teleport you back to town and otherwise you fell from the sky into the bad guy's world or something.
It doesn't even make sense to have segregated the areas so much in SS as far as world building goes.

And fuck Fi, the worst helper in any game ever.
the personality of a robot and the helpfulness of the super guide all rolled into one annoying piece to remind you that you're low on health and battery or whatever it is you have in limited quantity.
I still can't believe they managed to botch the lyre part in this game.

Even there, Rag had contextualized them? I'm getting slightly dizzy now.
Let's give it some of the "context" im talking about, shall we Moon:

Also by the door comment did you mean outside the skyveiw Temple where she asks:

"I have also detected the presence of numerous monsters. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

I forgot about the transparent dialogue trees. Christ.

Ancient cistern:

Link enters area with the Boss Door, cinematic scene showing the areas of interest then...

1] Fi pops: Master, i have taken the liberty to confirm that a door is located at the uppermost section of this statue. The lock is unfamilar to me"

Link reaches the top section where the boss door is located. There lies a stone tablet with an inscription:

"Look for the key that lies beneath the earth."

2] Fi pops: Based on the patterns we have seen so far, I believe the key mentioned on the stone marker is the key requiered to unlock the device ahead of us."

Link enters the area with the boss key, ambient cinematic showing the area and boss key chest...

3] Fi pops: Master, i have some important information that im certain you will want to hear. There's a large trasure chest in the area. There is 85% probability it contains the key that will open the door we observed at the top of the stone statue".

Now, bare in mind that in a first playthrough the text speed is super slow, It's excruciating to say the least.

And this is for a dungeon that it's midway to the game. i can't remember any other companions in the series pulling something like that off. THIS IS NOT FICTION ladies and gentleman, this is 100% factual, as it happens in the game.

TheMoon

Then the obvious joke is simply not landing with you guys there. Not saying it's brilliant or amazingly done but it's a joke on her obsession with probabilities and need to tell you about everything. If you already decided to dislike her I can see how this is annoying but to me it's just a silly innocent joke.

I also enjoyed Fi and found her to have a melancholic childlike earnestness that was tragic. I enjoyed the AI evolves into humanity angle.

I also enjoyed Midna for her more salient qualities in comparison.

Both games kinda turned me off Zelda however, certainly not for the sidekicks, but for the more linear progression and feels of both games.

I'm the type of player that doesn't go from objective to objective, instead preferring to wander and take in atmosphere.

Then the obvious joke is simply not landing with you guys there. Not saying it's brilliant or amazingly done but it's a joke on her obsession with probabilities and need to tell you about everything. If you already decided to dislike her I can see how this is annoying but to me it's just a silly innocent joke.

Jokes are subjective. We all understand what they are trying to go for with this writing. They could have had a character be able to make light of situations and make jokes, however they wrote themselves into a corner with a character that is meant to be robotic and factual. The percentages hold no bearing on the game and serve to exaggerate her characterization. Some, myself included thought it didn't hit the mark, and didn't make up for her flaws.

Ancient Cistern

I must have repressed that segment. That's terrible.

So a company with gameplay at it's forefront, which handles the world building and story aspects of their games to serve game mechanics and systems, sacrifices "gameflow" in the name of jokes.

That's pretty funny indeed.... XD

i don't care much about characterization in Zelda games, be it Midna or Fi. The only game that engaged me that way is Majora's. But we are losing the point of what's been debated here.

The point of contention was: Why people consider Fi annoying? the previous post was a very solid example of why such is the case. i just point out the facts, after that is up to the person.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Ragnarok:

The problem you're having is you're compiling a list from some place on the Web without actually playing through the game and observing the differences.

As I pointed out, Midna doesn't interrupt you in the forest temple. Gameplay is stopped before she pops up without exception. So that's why people don't blame her. The developers are stopping the game to show cinematics and then midna appears.

Understanding the context as Refreshment points out is vital. That's why the raw text you've posted is essentially worthless and completely misleading.
I've been arguing this point for years, it's best to just let it go.

Basically, Midna is cool, Fi sucks, Twilight Princess is better than Skyward Sword, and hand-holding of any kind in modern games is terrible and ruins the experience.

Moving on...let's talk about this game.

Twilight Princess has snowboarding and a cool mansion with soup.

10/10

Isn't there a heart piece you can only get by beating the yeti in snowboarding? I remember it being difficult...not looking forward to doing that again. But overall the whole snow area and mansion/dungeon was one of the best parts of any Zelda game.

RagnarokX

And yet you don't seem to have any interest in trying to understand why people feel that way.

The fact that you actually compiled your list from a play through astonishes me since you basically managed to miss why Midna doesn't generate the type of antipathy Fi does.

From Skyward Sword's second dungeon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfHYuGuDo4Q&feature=youtu.be&t=198

This is the trifecta. Fi popping up out of nowhere. Fi saying something completely worthless. And to top it all off the writing sucks because the choice to go with a robot character basically guaranteed it was going to suck.

And if you're trying to understand why there are differences in reaction to the two characters you can't just ignore that Midna, if the first dungeon is any indication, doesn't interrupt the gameplay.

Of course, what Midna says and what clues she's conveying and how it's written are also important too. And I don't see any missteps here. Remember, TP's first dungeon is far more complex than SS is. The monkeys open the pathways through the dungeon but they are an indirect item. They are triggered by the player using actual items and interacting with the dungeon in a more normal way.

It's helpful for Nintendo to convey what those little guys are doing. Every small cinematic and Midna appearance reinforces this component of overall dungeon design. I don't have any issue with any stoppage during the first dungeon, which probably amounted to less than ten over an hour long temple.

The list is neutral. All it does is lay down bare facts in effort to look at what the actual differences between the games are.

Now how is compiling the list from videos from games I've already played bad? You say it's bad and provide no reason why. I mention the Fi moment you keep harping on in my list but you act like it isn't there.

Yes, Fi pops out of nowhere and tells you that if you Z-target an enemy and call her she will tell you info about the enemy. It's not completely useless but it is annoying and definitely bad. Saying that having a character be a robot makes it almost guaranteed to suck makes it sound like you have something against robots in general and don't want to even try to like them.

Midna's text in the dungeon does interrupt gameplay. You can't play the game while she is talking so it is interrupting. Obviously you mean that it doesn't initialize the interruption, but the interruption that they are part of would be shorter if she didn't tell you the obvious. You act like because there are examples where Midna's interaction is after a cutscene that means there aren't examples where they aren't or that Fi doesn't do the same thing.

Midna interrupts all the time:
Midna stops you to tell you going into the twilight is a one way trip. She does this all 3 times. You have to talk to her again once you reach the twilight and confirm that you want to enter, so why make it 2 separate events? Why does she have to remind us at all?

Midna interrupts gameplay to point out a gate and a dig spot that you already know how to use.

Midna compliments you on taming Epona and tells you that riding her should speed things up.

Midna stops you to point out that a statue is missing and that you should use wolf senses. Then says you should find the statue.

And there are issues like how much Midna forces tutorials. Fi asks if you want her to explain a new mechanic and then just lets you go on your way. Midna has really drawn out tutorials for her mechanics. Like the entire Hyrule Castle and Ordon Village sequence at the beginning of the game is tutorial heavy. Like this whole sequence is really poorly done. Or this section where Midna forces you to fail twice before introducing her charge attack.

Midna's monkey business is unnecessary. You have monkeys jumping up and down, clapping, screaming, and beckoning you with their arms and Midna's contribution is "Looks like that monkey is beckoning you." The monkeys enter the area with the boss door and each one sits on a platform. There are empty spots. Midna pops up and tells you there are probably still monkeys missing.

Fat it trimmed? Do you class fat as an overworld that actually has content in comparison to a few chests on a small landmass in the sky? Making levels more linear in favor of wider spaces? Could you elaborate on that for us please.

Skyward Swords world felt severely disjointed (Can be said it's due to the world below the sky being uninhabited and untouched). I should have been able to go from each area to one another, instead of having to return to the sky, fly to another zone and drop down. Heaven forbid you need to warp to another area within the zone your in. Time to go back to the sky, fly back around to the drop point you came from and go back down.

I won't go further until I understand what you meant by "trimmed fat".

Well, obviously they reduced the amount of times your helper helps you along your journey. They reduced the amount of tutorials by a lot. The game flows a lot better with tasks giving more of a sense that you are actually moving forward rather than spinning in circles waiting for the next dungeon to open. Going between the dungeons in TP feels like a chore, or a set of chores, because the events that occur between them are poorly scripted and implemented. They're so easy and the game holds your hand so much that it feels like you are just going through motions.

They didn't make levels more linear. TP is just as linear. You have to go through the provinces in the order prescribed. Hyrule Field in TP is analogous to the Sky in SS and is pretty much just as empty. You find stuff hidden both but there's not much to do in it besides move between destinations. They did make the areas connected to the Sky much more complex than those connected to Hyrule Field, though. For example: in TP Death Mountain is just a straight path where you have to stop every minute or so to grapple with a goron while in SS Eldin Volcano is a huge sprawling path full of puzzles to solve in order to move forward.

Again, the context was written in the list. It's not just numbers.
Let's give it some of the "context" im talking about, shall we Moon:

Ancient cistern:

Link enters area with the Boss Door, cinematic scene showing the areas of interest then...

1] Fi pops: Master, i have taken the liberty to confirm that a door is located at the uppermost section of this statue. The lock is unfamilar to me"

Link reaches the top section where the boss door is located. There lies a stone tablet with an inscription:

"Look for the key that lies beneath the earth."

2] Fi pops: Based on the patterns we have seen so far, I believe the key mentioned on the stone marker is the key requiered to unlock the device ahead of us."

Link enters the area with the boss key, ambient cinematic showing the area and boss key chest...

3] Fi pops: Master, i have some important information that im certain you will want to hear. There's a large trasure chest in the area. There is 85% probability it contains the key that will open the door we observed at the top of the stone statue".

Now, bare in mind that in a first playthrough the text speed is super slow, It's excruciating to say the least.

And this is for a dungeon that it's midway to the game. i can't remember any other companions in the series pulling something like that off. THIS IS NOT FICTION ladies and gentleman, this is 100% factual, as it happens in the game.
Well, the first one is no worse than Midna pointing out the missing statue in the Temple of Time. I imagine that in playtesting players never found the door in Ancient Cistern or noticed the missing statue in Temple of Time so they had the helper point it out. The second one is bad, but optional. Likewise I left the part where Midna makes a comment about the compass when you find it in Forest Temple off the list because technically you don't have to pick up the compass. The third one is designed to show you that the boss key chest is under the stone statue. That entire room is designed just to show you the underground in the state with the statue up because the next time you enter the area via the statue itself the statue is covering the pit with the chest. They have Fi point it out because it's really really important to figuring out the central puzzle of the dungeon, and they throw in a joke to make it more fun (Fi is only 85% certain that the chest contains the boss key). People instead took it as the game thinking they didn't know what a boss key chest was.

I've been arguing this point for years, it's best to just let it go.
Posting memes and sniping my character in unrelated threads is not good arguing.

Well, obviously they reduced the amount of times your helper helps you along your journey. They reduced the amount of tutorials by a lot. The game flows a lot better with tasks giving more of a sense that you are actually moving forward rather than spinning in circles waiting for the next dungeon to open. Going between the dungeons in TP feels like a chore, or a set of chores, because the events that occur between them are poorly scripted and implemented. They're so easy and the game holds your hand so much that it feels like you are just going through motions.

They didn't make levels more linear. TP is just as linear. You have to go through the provinces in the order prescribed. Hyrule Field in TP is analogous to the Sky in SS and is pretty much just as empty.

I never felt like I was waiting for dungeons to open. Progression is evident in both games so I'm not too sure what merit there is in that point. Forest temple has progression right from turning into wolf link, visiting hyrule castle, going back, grabbing gear, killing light bugs, entering dungeon. Or Lakebed, with the race to goron village, jousting with the moblin on the bridge, getting the Zora Armour, opening lakebed. (Highly simplified and I may have missed out segments, but there is no down time waiting for a dungeon. Every act is justified or has enough writing behind it to warrant its inclusion.)

There is plenty to do in TP. The game may be "easy" but at least I'm playing it and enjoying it. One thing with this debate on Fi vs Minda is that some people prefer Minda to Fi. Her character is more entertaining and if (for arguments sake) I'm going to have a companion interrupt me I'd prefer it to be one that I don't mind talking. Fi's tone and writing make it a chore to listen and read through. The slower text speed in SS only nails this home further.

Perhaps Linear was the wrong word. Forgive me. What I meant was "Narrow". SS to me feels very claustrophobic, as if the game is taking place in a corridor. Apart from the skyworld which is blatantly empty TP has a sense of scale around it. The areas feel open and vast, and more areas follow suit.

It all comes down to personal preference and anything can become based on subjective opinions.

Jesus will you all STFU about the Fi vs. Midna stuff? How do even have this much free time?

Thanks for the input.

TheMoon

Isn't there a heart piece you can only get by beating the yeti in snowboarding? I remember it being difficult...not looking forward to doing that again. But overall the whole snow area and mansion/dungeon was one of the best parts of any Zelda game.

Yes and that was cool :D

Lunar15

This thread is bonkers, I remember liking TP a lot and most people I know saying it was terrible. Now it's a darling?

I used to say the Zelda Cycle was trash, but now I don't know. I'll just wait for it to swing around on SS. Zelda fans are fucking nuts.

cyba89

This thread is bonkers, I remember liking TP a lot and most people I know saying it was terrible. Now it's a darling?

I used to say the Zelda Cycle was trash, but now I don't know. I'll just wait for it to swing around on SS. Zelda fans are fucking nuts.

Zelda Cycle is not trash. Everyone will hate Zelda U when it's out and people start to think positive about Skyward Sword.

Mael

Wait Fi's percentage obsession was supposed to be a joke?
It's intentional in the way that Jar Jar is intentionally a Dark lord of the Sith in disguise.

and TP was always awesome.
There's no Zelda cycle only Nintendo misunderstanding its fanbase.
Everyone would have loved Celda if there was an overworld worth giving 2 shits about instead of jerking the players with false hope of getting to Hyrule one day only to crush any hope of ever getting there.
Seriously there's one thing people loved about OoT and MM, that was Epona and how awesome it was horsing around.
What do they do with the sequel?
Give a slowass boat that's a chore to navigate on a big empty sea.
Of course you're going to get pushback!

Nah, time doesn't fix an inherently flawed game.

I don't know if people fall in love with the motion controls because it's the only decent way to control VR you can be sure as hell people will look back fondly on SS.
And yes it's not even close to being a problem in SS.

The Zelda cycle is just a stupid meme used to dismiss any criticism of the latest Zelda, which arbitrarily only refers to the 3D ones despite there having been 2 games that have come out since SS.

Lunar15

Here's the thing, most Zelda games are pretty good, but few fan bases argue more about how certain ones are trash than the zelda fanbase. I say this as someone in the zelda fanbase.

It's probably the reason there isn't even a community thread.

I've always liked Twilight Princess. My opinion doesn't sway so easily, and every Zelda game I feel the same way about now and when I played them. Did anyone here say TP was a "darling"? Maybe Ragnarok liked SS from day 1? Im glad someone did, otherwise this topic would be rather boring.

He takes the shot, sinks the ball from half court.

Lunar15

SS is pretty well liked, moreso outside of GAF than in it. Although, it still came in pretty high on the GOTY list that year.

Great damn game too, top 3 for me. But i'm confused because this thread is about TP? That's the thing. It's impossible to have a Zelda thread because it's always going to be OOT vs TWW, or lately, TP vs SS.

cyba89

I've always liked Twilight Princess. My opinion doesn't sway so easily, and every Zelda game I feel the same way about now and when I played them. Did anyone here say TP was a "darling"? Maybe Ragnarok liked SS from day 1? Im glad someone did, otherwise this topic would be rather boring.

I liked SS from Day 1. Second-best 3D Zelda (after OoT) for me.

Mael

The Zelda cycle is just a stupid meme used to dismiss any criticism of the latest Zelda, which arbitrarily only refers to the 3D ones despite there having been 2 games that have come out since SS.

Remakes don't really count and ALBW is really average despite what people on the web praising it say.
And people were really down on MM shortly after release.
Heck people really hated the overworld theme in OoT for not being the Zelda theme(which is why MM's overworld theme is so different).
The meme is largely bull but it's clear there's "painting the new games negatively while overinflating the old one" going on in the Zelda community.

I liked SS from Day 1. Second-best 3D Zelda (after OoT) for me.

I don't remember if I was on the OT of SS but I have plenty of good things to say about it (and some not so good things too).
It's like that for every unperfect games I'd say.
My least fav will always be WW till they do something worse.
SS is good but not top 3 (4th as far as 3D Zelda goes).
TP is an easy n°2.
It's my opinion since I played and finished them.
I still have to meet anyone who changed their minds about Zelda though.
The community IS diverse after all.

Here's the thing, most Zelda games are pretty good, but few fan bases argue more about how certain ones are trash than the zelda fanbase. I say this as someone in the zelda fanbase.

There was a community thread, it just faded into legend.

Also in complete agreement about the first part of the post.

RagnarokX

I never felt like I was waiting for dungeons to open. Progression is evident in both games so I'm not too sure what merit there is in that point. Forest temple has progression right from turning into wolf link, visiting hyrule castle, going back, grabbing gear, killing light bugs, entering dungeon. Or Lakebed, with the race to goron village, jousting with the moblin on the bridge, getting the Zora Armour, opening lakebed. (Highly simplified and I may have missed out segments, but there is no down time waiting for a dungeon. Every act is justified or has enough writing behind it to warrant its inclusion.)

There is plenty to do in TP. The game may be "easy" but at least I'm playing it and enjoying it. One thing with this debate on Fi vs Minda is that some people prefer Minda to Fi. Her character is more entertaining and if (for arguments sake) I'm going to have a companion interrupt me I'd prefer it to be one that I don't mind talking. Fi's tone and writing make it a chore to listen and read through. The slower text speed in SS only nails this home further.

Perhaps Linear was the wrong word. Forgive me. What I meant was "Narrow". SS to me feels very claustrophobic, as if the game is taking place in a corridor. Apart from the skyworld which is blatantly empty TP has a sense of scale around it. The areas feel open and vast, and more areas follow suit.

It all comes down to personal preference and anything can become based on subjective opinions.

Thanks for the input.
I dunno. With TP it felt like they kept saying "one more thing". I think the Eldin sequence is one of the worst in a Zelda game. You head to Eldin Province, but your way is blocked because a bridge is out. This is an unnecessary interruption to introduce a tutorial about warping. Then you reach Kakariko Village and have to do another bug hunt, which are just boring in TP. This takes you through the entire area up to Goron Mines. Then once you clear the twilight and head up the mountain you've already climbed you are knocked down by a goron and the cheif of Kakariko tells you you need to return to Ordon Village to speak with the mayor. When you start on your way back Epona appears and you have to tame her. Then, when you reach Ordon you have to sumo wrestle the mayor twice to get the iron boots. Then you go back to Death Mountain and climb the very narrow straight path to the top, stopping every minute or so to deal with a goron. Once you reach the Goron Mines again you have to sumo the elder. I think a lot of the issues come from the fact that they introduce every area in a very drawn out manner with the bug hunts and then you spend the part immediately after that trying to get to the place you already reached. Another segment that really stands out is the Sacred Grove. You have to chase skull kid through it twice. People complain about fighting The Imprisoned 3 times but at least each fight was different.

Narrow doesn't describe it, either. All of the lands in SS are big wide open areas that you traverse and open up to make less linear. I mean, for example these are equivalent areas in function:
uit7qJC.png

jR30xSS.jpg

A way to think of it is SS is like if they took the Death Mountain path from TP and twisted it so that instead of a straight path it doubled back on itself and such, added in puzzles to solve to move forward, and put in shortcuts you could create to turn the area from a linear path into a wide open area.

Lunar15

I think what it is is that, for most people here, Zelda was one of the first games they played. As such, it kind of defined a lot about what they want out of the series. Therefore, each game is real divisive. Then, when we get a remaster or a new game, fans of the old one come out of the woodwork and appear louder because they're the ones that would care the most. People's opinion's aren't changing, it's just different people show up at different times.

Anyway, I love TP and all, but it's definitely the more linear game compared to SS. But they're both largely linear in a way that all the 3D games have been, barring the back half of TWW where you could choose which dungeon you wanted to do first. I get why people see SS as the more linear one, as you're pretty much stuck in one area for a long period of time. But that's the thing: Linearity has never been a bad thing in the series. Zelda's been pretty linear for a long time, even ALTTP is fairly straight forward.

I dunno, I wish more people would come around on SS. It's def got flaws, but it's really good and I often feel like people are really just hung up on expectations meeting reality. But stuff like motion controls... that was always going to be divisive.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The Zelda cycle arose because people were pissed that Wind Waker didn't have realistic graphics like what was shown in the Link and Ganondorf tech demo. After the anger subsided, people got around to playing it and realized that it was a pretty good game. The people who still hate it just don't talk about it anymore because they'd rather talk about other things.

I doubt there are many people who hated TP at launch but now adore it, they just don't talk about the games they dislike. Meanwhile, the people who have always loved TP keep talking about it because that's what people do.

There are some people who initially dislike a game but grow to appreciate it, but you don't suddenly love a game after hating it for 5 years just because the next Zelda came out.

Mael

I dunno. With TP it felt like they kept saying "one more thing". I think the Eldin sequence is one of the worst in a Zelda game. You head to Eldin Province, but your way is blocked because a bridge is out. This is an unnecessary interruption to introduce a tutorial about warping. Then you reach Kakariko Village and have to do another bug hunt, which are just boring in TP. This takes you through the entire area up to Goron Mines. Then once you clear the twilight and head up the mountain you've already climbed you are knocked down by a goron and the cheif of Kakariko tells you you need to return to Ordon Village to speak with the mayor. When you start on your way back Epona appears and you have to tame her. Then, when you reach Ordon you have to sumo wrestle the mayor twice to get the iron boots. Then you go back to Death Mountain and climb the very narrow straight path to the top, stopping every minute or so to deal with a goron. Once you reach the Goron Mines again you have to sumo the elder. I think a lot of the issues come from the fact that they introduce every area in a very drawn out manner with the bug hunts and then you spend the part immediately after that trying to get to the place you already reached. Another segment that really stands out is the Sacred Grove. You have to chase skull kid through it twice. People complain about fighting The Imprisoned 3 times but at least each fight was different.

Narrow doesn't describe it, either. All of the lands in SS are big wide open areas that you traverse and open up to make less linear. I mean, for example these are equivalent areas in function:
uit7qJC.png

jR30xSS.jpg

A way to think of it is SS is like if they took the Death Mountain path from TP and twisted it so that instead of a straight path it doubled back on itself and such, added in puzzles to solve to move forward, and put in shortcuts you could create to turn the area from a linear path into a wide open area.

The problem here is that for example in the lost woods, you have to go there multiple times.
Except each time is different (from memory, once as a wolf, another one by chasing skull kids and so on).
You're traversing the same area but you're not doing the exact same thing.
the issue with the imprisoned is that it wasn't a good fight, it's tedious and if you fail the fight the game becomes tedious like a rubik's cube with boxing glove.
And your comparison between Death Mountain is all kinds of disingenuous, narrative wise the area is actually death Mountain + part of the Hyrule field.
Which makes it way less like a straight line.
Heck if Death Mountain in SS was anything more than a fucking closed off area that serves no purpose outside of what's contained inside it would be better.
On top of that the way SS is made means that even if you come back to that area latter you have to suffer through the dungeon design when you really want to go to just one spot.
OTOH TP while not being perfect gives warp spots to go pretty much where you want to go (to a point where the horse is really redundant)

I think what it is is that, for most people here, Zelda was one of the first games they played. As such, it kind of defined a lot about what they want out of the series. Therefore, each game is real divisive.

Then, when we get a remaster or a new game, fans of the old one come out of the woodwork and appear louder because they're the ones that would care the most.

People's opinion's aren't changing, it's just different people show up at different times.

Couldn't say it better.
Also people take arguing to heart too much.
I mean you'll see me dump on SS or not depending on the subject matter but that still doesn't mean I like any more or less than I do.

The Zelda cycle arose because people were pissed that Wind Waker didn't have realistic graphics like what was shown in the Link and Ganondorf tech demo. After the anger subsided, people got around to playing it and realized that it was a pretty good game. The people who still hate it just don't talk about it anymore because they'd rather talk about other things.

I doubt there are many people who hated TP at launch but now adore it, they just don't talk about the games they dislike. Meanwhile, the people who have always loved TP keep talking about it because that's what people do.

There are some people who initially dislike a game but grow to appreciate it, but you don't suddenly love a game after hating it for 5 years just because the next Zelda came out.
the thing that fueled the cycle was also acknowledgment by Aonuma and Miyamoto.
After all they did say that they were unhappy with how WW was received.
they narrowed it down the aesthetic which is why TP is such a contrast.
They still shoved Celda down our throat with the DS games though, because that's what Nintendo does.

RagnarokX

The problem here is that for example in the lost woods, you have to go there multiple times.
Except each time is different (from memory, once as a wolf, another one by chasing skull kids and so on).
You're traversing the same area but you're not doing the exact same thing.
the issue with the imprisoned is that it wasn't a good fight, it's tedious and if you fail the fight the game becomes tedious like a rubik's cube with boxing glove.
And your comparison between Death Mountain is all kinds of disingenuous, narrative wise the area is actually death Mountain + part of the Hyrule field.
Which makes it way less like a straight line.
Heck if Death Mountain in SS was anything more than a fucking closed off area that serves no purpose outside of what's contained inside it would be better.
On top of that the way SS is made means that even if you come back to that area latter you have to suffer through the dungeon design when you really want to go to just one spot.
I'm comparing specifically to chasing Skull Kid. Twilight Princess makes you do that twice; once as a wolf and once as a human. It's pretty much the same each time you do it and it's not very fun.

No, Hyrule Field is equivalent to The Sky. TP's themed areas are pretty small and not designed with a lot to do, so they have you cross Hyrule Field multiple times to go to between areas to fill the time. SS keeps things moving forward. Areas are rich with content themselves and once you get to one you just keep pressing on. An equivalent would be if SS asked you to stop what you were doing in the middle of traversing the volcano and fly back to Faron Woods to get an item from the Kikwi.

SS has plenty of warp points.

rex

Midna stops you to tell you going into the twilight is a one way trip. She does this all 3 times. You have to talk to her again once you reach the twilight and confirm that you want to enter, so why make it 2 separate events? Why does she have to remind us at all?

You're talking about each of the first three sections? I'd have to see what's different about the others

This is a typical cinematic Nintendo uses to introduce a puzzle. I'm struggling to see what exactly the issue is here.

And to the extent it is an issue, people are unlikely to perceive it as a Midna problem. Midna's dialogue is incorporated into a cinematic in order to convey information. It's done all the time in these games.

Gameplay lasts for exactly a second here.

With good reason. TP's dungeons are very complex compared to others in the series. This dungeon is built around a missing statue. It's something that's easy to miss on account of being absent.

Midna's monkey business is unnecessary. You have monkeys jumping up and down, clapping, screaming, and beckoning you with their arms and Midna's contribution is "Looks like that monkey is beckoning you." The monkeys enter the area with the boss door and each one sits on a platform. There are empty spots. Midna pops up and tells you there are probably still monkeys missing.

I don't have any issue with these. Emphasizing these little guys' importance is the right decision.

And, just like the gate example above, even if people had issue with these why would they blame Midna? Midna is simply one part of the technique Nintendo used to make sure players knew what the overall goal of the dungeon was.

The problem I have with your list is that it doesn't make any effort to analyze exactly what's happening. Your bits of context are nothing but vague descriptions, which renders the list misleading at best.

You've taken the effort to analyze four sections which is what you should be doing. But I think it's pretty clear you're still not interpreting what's happening correctly.

The question is, why, in the face of the mountain of statistics you've compiled, do people persist in declaring Fi is more annoying than Midna?

Why do you think that is?

Mael

I'm comparing specifically to chasing Skull Kid. Twilight Princess makes you do that twice; once as a wolf and once as a human. It's pretty much the same each time you do it and it's not very fun.

No, Hyrule Field is equivalent to The Sky. TP's themed areas are pretty small and not designed with a lot to do, so they have you cross Hyrule Field multiple times to go to between areas to fill the time. SS keeps things moving forward. Areas are rich with content themselves and once you get to one you just keep pressing on. An equivalent would be if SS asked you to stop what you were doing in the middle of traversing the volcano and fly back to Faron Woods to get an item from the Kikwi.

Like the tadtones?
SS is full of pace killing points, let's not act like TP is worse when that pretty much the biggest issue of SS that's worse than pretty much everything Nintendo ever published (yes it's worse than DK64 collecthatons).
The game ask you to retread all big areas with the special swordless areas when you're done with them. And that's BEFORE the game gets tedious when you have to suffer the tadtones and the other endgame BS.
Not even the stone stuffs at the end of TP was as bad as that.

As far as progression goes the twilight is really functionally the same as the single areas of SS.
The 1rst area is really just the forest, the 2nd is the mountain+village+eastside of the field and the 3rd part is really zora domain+hyruletown+lake hylia+connecting field.
The warp points of SS are pretty useless, you have to get to a stone to get back to the sky to then go the area you want to then warp again.
TP? You basically open a menu to warp where you want.
Might as well argue that XenoWii have a less convenient warp system than Metroid Prime 3 (instant menu warp Vs get to drop point, choose one of the select few area you can after a menu of sort warp).

SS is pretty well liked, moreso outside of GAF than in it. Although, it still came in pretty high on the GOTY list that year.

Great damn game too, top 3 for me. But i'm confused because this thread is about TP? That's the thing. It's impossible to have a Zelda thread because it's always going to be OOT vs TWW, or lately, TP vs SS.

It all started with one little thought about the director of SS being the director of Zelda U.

Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and director credits for Twilight Princess are Aonuma, whether he took over TP halfway through or not. On Skyward Sword he was producer.

Zelda U's director seems to be Fujibayashi again (director of Skyward Sword), with Aonuma as producer.

So I wouldn't say it's completely wrong.

Then Mr Mickfran came in from left field:

Oh God

oh god

Then I made a joke about Fi's message of low batteries. Then it went from ragnarok onwards. It's been quite a ride. However Zelda threads always have the capacity to encompass Zelda games as whole. No one's stopped us so far. It can't be helped.

Come on Ragnarok, you know how convoluted it is to make use of them. You have to go back up to the sky, fly back into whichever zone you want (including the one you had to exit, you can't even warp to different points within the zone you are currently in). With Midna its 4 clicks away, and you can go to any point.

My intention is not to change your mind. However, if i see some inconsistency i will point it out.
Again, the context was written in the list. It's not just numbers.
But the way it was presented wasn't conductive to reach any meaningful conclusion taught.

As an hypothetical (not saying you are wrong with the assertions on your list) let's say a given character intrudes 30 times and other 10 through out the game. If the NPC that does 10 interventions do so for meaningless exposition in comparison to the other, then the lesser number doesn't matter.

Also what's important here is "the players time". For example, the lenght of those 10 interventions could be larger than the total lenght of the 30.

The way your comparison could work for reaching a conclusion, is to have access to all the dialog that takes away control of the player for each character. From there evaluate the quality of the information and how much of the player's time it wastes. But that's just too much work. XD

Well, the first one is no worse than Midna pointing out the missing statue in the Temple of Time.
i find little value in deciding who is leading the race for the most annoying Zelda companion title. Only reason i mentioned other characters besides Fi, was because it was brought up previously.

I imagine that in playtesting players never found the door in Ancient Cistern or noticed the missing statue in Temple of Time so they had the helper point it out. The second one is bad, but optional. Likewise I left the part where Midna makes a comment about the compass when you find it in Forest Temple off the list because technically you don't have to pick up the compass. The third one is designed to show you that the boss key chest is under the stone statue. That entire room is designed just to show you the underground in the state with the statue up because the next time you enter the area via the statue itself the statue is covering the pit with the chest. They have Fi point it out because it's really really important to figuring out the central puzzle of the dungeon, and they throw in a joke to make it more fun (Fi is only 85% certain that the chest contains the boss key). People instead took it as the game thinking they didn't know what a boss key chest was.
In this segment of your post lie the inconsistencies.

#1. The excuse doesn't hold here. It was pointed out in the post you are responding to, but it bares repeating:

There's a cinematic fly through clearly pointing out the positioning of the door at the top. Fi's intervention here? Redundant.

#2. No, it's not optional. Yes, if i don't read the stone tablet Fi won't talk. But if i read it, like most players will do in their first playthorugh, then there's a 100% probabilty that Fi will point out the obvious. XD

#3. Again, the excuse doesn't hold here since a cinematic pointing out the exact location of the chest is triggered the instant the player enters the area. Fi is been redundant again.

mrmickfran

It all started with one little thought about the director of SS being the director of Zelda U.

Then Mr Mickfran came in from left field:

Then I made a joke about Fi's message of low batteries. Then it went from ragnarok onwards. It's been quite a ride. However Zelda threads always have the capacity to encompass Zelda games as whole. No one's stopped us so far. It can't be helped.

Come on Ragnarok, you know how convoluted it is to make use of them. You have to go back up to the sky, fly back into whichever zone you want (including the one you had to exit, you can't even warp to different points within the zone you are currently in). With Midna its 4 clicks away, and you can go to any point.
My bad >.>

Are people really trying to argue that there was just as much to do in TP in between dungeons as there was to do in SS in between dungeons? Because that is patently false and comes across as blind fanaticism and blatant denial.

Mael

Are people really trying to argue that there was just as much to do in TP in between dungeons as there was to do in SS in between dungeons? Because that is patently false and comes across as blind fanaticism and blatant denial.

Who's arguing that?
Neither had anything that interesting done between dungeons, although I'd argue nothing in SS beats the trek between 2nd and 3rd dungeon in TP as far as interesting content.
The best SS had to offer was the time crystal stuffs in the desert area and that overstayed its welcome pretty quickly.

Rich!

Whether there was or not isn't the issue.

I never had to do anything like that robot escort mission in TP. I would rather stab my eyes with a rusty fork and bathe my head in lemon jif before ever playing through that turgid shit ever again. Same goes for the tadtones.

Absolute fucking bollocks that was.

TheMoon

Doesn't need much fixing.

Way ahead of ya btw on the Zelda Cycle. Already showering Tri Force Heroes with love and Zelda U ain't even out yet :p

There is a community thread, sponsored by Nintendo Americo. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447055

TheMoon

Just wait until we get a new shot of the Zelda U world map again. 200 pages of map drawings.

Sterok

The key difference for me between Midna and Fi was that I wanted Midna to interrupt me. I liked her, so I wanted to see more of her. While I don't hate Fi, I also don't care enough for her that I enjoy each of her interrupting appearances. So that's why Midna > Fi even if Fi might technically interrupt me less.

The Boat

I'm just happy I love both TP and SS to pieces and was barely, if at all, annoyed by the few seconds of interruptions from Fi or Midna in the 70 hours or so of play.

Top Bottom