• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted 2 INFO-- GI

smik said:
hopefully they will add multiplayer Teamdeath match mode as a addition, small maps with cover generating close intimate gameplay with all of uncharted's great weapons could be alot of fun.
No. Uncharted is exactly the type of game that DOES NOT need multiplayer of any kind. Use the resources to make the single-player even more awesome.

Sean

Banned
Some nice tweaks in there - glad they removed the sixaxis and QTE stuff. I hope that they don't ditch Elena and Sully though, would seem like a waste after spending time developing their characters IMO.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sean said:
Some nice tweaks in there - glad they removed the sixaxis and QTE stuff. I hope that they don't ditch Elena and Sully though, would seem like a waste after spending time developing their characters IMO.

I hope Naughty Dog does ditch those two, not that I hate them, but I do think that each game should be a self contained story with different characters and Drake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
neojubei said:
I hope Naughty Dog does ditch those two, not that I hate them, but I do think that each game should be a self contained story with different characters and Drake.
I could almost see them getting rid of Elena but Sully was an awesome sidekick. I hope at least he comes back. He had some great lines in the first one and the way he and Drake played off of one another was perfect.

btkadams

i am so excited for this game!!! uncharted kicked ass. im not too worried about them not including sully or elena, it'll be great anyways. we need to keep the games fresh. maybe bring them in for an epic third installment in a warmer climate?

B33

Banned
neojubei said:
I suppose that concept plays off of the Indian Jones style of storytelling.

Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lemming_JRS said:
It's available on iTunes.
Holy shit, I had no idea. Thanks.

EDIT: I can't find Uncharted under game soundtracks. Is it available in the US or listed under another category?

Sean said:
I never understood why people considered the boss fight to be a QTE. You were unarmed, which meant you had to go in for a melee attack. So the brutal combo was your only option anyway, and the so-called QTE was just that you had to perform a brutal combo (square, triangle, square) with the same timing you would normally use during gameplay. The only difference was that you weren't able to do anything else at that moment (e.g. run away, just stand still, etc) without dying, but that was kind of appropriate to the situation. I really enjoyed that boss fight, pulling off the brutal combo to lay that fucker out was one of the most satisfying boss fights I've ever had.

Maybe some people had never used a brutal combo in the game before and so confused it for just a made up button sequence. Anyway, IMHO, calling the brutal combo a QTE would be like calling a Hadouken in Street Fighter a QTE.

endlessflood, I think people are more referring to how the game will randomly make you show you a button in the bottom of the screen and YOU BETTER HIT IT IN TIME OR ELSE YOU'RE AS GOOD AS DEAD OMG. Which, even though it happened like six times in the entire game, was annoying as hell.

Also, seriously guys,
no combat-breaking monsters this time.

H.Cornerstone said:
I sure hope they chance the melee, it was pretty much useless and I like meleeing people to death.

It was?

I was brutal comboing the hell out of people in Uncharted. Was actually one of the first medals the game rewarded me in. Seeing so many context sensitive versions of the triple melee combo was so satisfying.

Boneapart

Banned
NeoZylom said:
Good to hear! But, no load screens = probably installation :(

No, Uncharted had one initial load screen, then once you're in the game, there are no load screens. And really, so what if it did install, if entirely gets rid of loading, tell me you wouldn't want to.

On topic, that all sounds awesome, except for the no comment on Sully, I'm sure he'll be back though. I'm a huge uncharted fan, and it sounds like they're really adding a lot to the gameplay.

The grenade aiming with sixaxis was so good in Uncharted, when I started playing Gears 2 and throwing grenades I found myself tilting my 360 controller to aim. Shame they took that out.

RoboPlato said:
Holy shit, I had no idea. Thanks.

EDIT: I can't find Uncharted under game soundtracks. Is it available in the US or listed under another category?

Crap...

Um... I guess it's NOT available on iTunes any more. Funny, I just pointed someone towards it a month or so ago.

Sorry! :/

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It was?

I was brutal comboing the hell out of people in Uncharted. Was actually one of the first medals the game rewarded me in. Seeing so many context sensitive versions of the triple melee combo was so satisfying.

I guess the problem I had is I never really got a chance to learn how to do it, because it was so complex. I tried to learn but I just ended up dieing every time so I decided to stop trying.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It was?

Yeah once you get used to the melee it is a pretty powerful tool.

BigBoss

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It was?

Same here, the brutal combo also gave you 2x ammo.

H.Cornerstone said:
I guess the problem I had is I never really got a chance to learn how to do it, because it was so complex. I tried to learn but I just ended up dieing every time so I decided to stop trying.
It's not like a fighting game where it's one after the other. It's more based on timing, gotta wait for each swing to end.

The melee was fun. If you figured out the timing of the brutal combo (and that's what it is - a timing minigame), you could wreck people pretty easily and keep getting ammo. Plus, though it pissed me off at the time, I think it's smart that you'll still get shot to hell during a melee combo, because it reinforces that you should be picking off guys from a distance before descending on the last guy to get bonus ammo.

Adama

VOOK said:
Chloe Frazer is played by Claudia Black

This took me by surprise. >..>

la35bac0d380119b5b663cdzz3.gif

Boneapart

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
It was?

Your avatar sums up my feelings on this news.

Also, let it be known that I am coming out staunchly in support of Sully being in this game. Elena, though, can be left out, so long as they do it in a funny way.

H.Cornerstone said:
At first my problem was that I would keep bashing square repeatedly waiting for him to land the first punch, and then try to move on with the combo. If you do that it will never work. You have to press square ONCE AND ONCE ONLY, wait for the first punch to land, then hit triangle ONCE, and then you can keep mashing square as much as you like to finish the combo.

If you want to practice I recommend giving it a go on Easy on the very first level (on the ship). When you get it down it is a very satisfying part of combat and can get you out of a bind, with the added bonus that the enemy will drop 2X the ammo.

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLTTTTTHHHHHH

FUCK YEAR

I can't wait to see shots of the new environments. And while I don't need Elena and Sully to play huge roles in the game, I need them to at least make cameos of some kind, just to give me the warm and fuzzies.

skulpt

Do you know what I like about Uncharted almost the most?

Drake has got to be one of the most likable characters in a game for a long time. None of this Gears crap, Nathan Hale and so on. He's not built like a muscle head, but he's not a wimp. He makes mistakes, stumbles, looks worried, look angry, surprised. His punches miss sometimes and he over swings. He swears in small doses, but doesn't need to drop the F bomb everywhere either. He's one of these characters that I feel like I can really relate to and play his part.

I'm really loving what I'm hearing about more interactive environments and free climbing. I hate paths on rails like they had in Uncharted 1 and climbing.

markatisu

Sean said:

I agree with everything you said. I did not like the motion controls (and thus never really used the grenades much) and even if Elena is not romantically linked, they did such a good job with her and Sully it would be a shame not to have them be part of the team.

skulpt said:
Do you know what I like about Uncharted almost the most?

Drake has got to be one of the most likable characters in a game for a long time. None of this Gears crap, Nathan Hale and so on. He's not built like a muscle head, but he's not a wimp. He makes mistakes, stumbles, looks worried, look angry, surprised. His punches miss sometimes and he over swings. He swears in small doses, but doesn't need to drop the F bomb everywhere either. He's one of these characters that I feel like I can really relate to and play his part.

He's awesome. And I swear there were like half a dozen instances where Drake said something simultaneously with me, like ''oohhh kay'' while hiding in cover, or ''you have GOT to be kidding''.

That's one reason why I'm happy about the game having more stealth, I want to feel more like an average Joe in over his head than The Terminator.

Lightning

Banned
Elena and Sully really need to be there. They have good foundations as characters and it really would be a waste after how well Drakes Fortune ended to have them wasted.

The Jer

Glad to hear they ditched the motion control mechanics.
They didn't belong in Uncharted.
I didn't use grenades because of them.

Drake really is the perfect character. His humor is never off-beat, he's incredibly sarcastic but not annoyingly so, he can go from being funny and serious on a whim and you as an observer change perspectives as soon as he does, and he's a badass without looking like a walking mushroom cloud. Highly intelligent as well. Drake rocks, period.

brandonh83 said:
Drake really is the perfect character. His humor is never off-beat, he's incredibly sarcastic but not annoyingly so, he can go from being funny and serious on a whim and you as an observer change perspectives as soon as he does, and he's a badass without looking like a walking mushroom cloud. Highly intelligent as well. Drake rocks, period.

Yup best new character to be introduced this gen for sure.

dork

Banned
They mentioned they were using only 30% of the PS3's power with Drake's Fortune and are planning to use nearly 100% with Among Thieves.

game set match jizz everywhere

Not only that, but better melee combat

B33 said:
What image would use to sum up the expected third installment of the series?

The%20Rosie%20O%27Donnell%20Show-1.JPG

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yup best new character to be introduced this gen for sure.

Yea, good voice acting helped a lot too. Looks like ND is taking time to find good actors.

I see uncharted going the James Bond/Doctor Who way and replacing the sidekicks often. Doubt we'll ever see one go beyond 1 game, 2 at most.

If they can pull it off then more power to them, great way to mix things up at least.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
There aren't enough pants in my closet to explode through to express my excitement for a new Uncharted.

So, I will just not wear any pants from now on.

Top Bottom