• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted Collection Trailer; Uncharted 4 beta from Dec 4 through Dec 13th

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
"We will have a multilayer component in the form of a one-week beta, lol."

...I'm still salty that there's no regular multi.

Mariolee

What's with everyone hating the ship graveyard? Honestly that's one of my favorite sequences and setpieces.

Pretty much. I love it and it has always confused me as to why people hated it. I mean sure it's long, but man it's fun all the way through.

robotrock

Banned
Pretty much. I love it and it has always confused me as to why people hated it. I mean sure it's long, but man it's fun all the way through.

Yeah it was one of my favorite bits of Uncharted 3. I don't play the games on any higher difficulties than normal though.

That beta is way too short. Seems like they didn't account for either how garbage the PS4 servers are, or the inevitable failure of their own servers. Betas should be 2 weeks at the least.

And for everyone who's confused, the ship graveyard is disliked because though it does have the most freedom of all Uncharted encounters, the design and shooting feedback in UC3 are sub-par and don't support that kind of open ended gameplay at all. So instead of feeling like a badass playground to house a shootout in, it's like a bowl filled with random elements designed by people who completely missed all the design and pacing improvements from UC1 --> UC2. It's messy, shooting feedback is super weak, the spawns are annoying, and the melee system doesn't work in conjunction with that kind of hectic combat. In theory it should be an improvement, but in practice it feels like a step back from UC2, much most of the game. The Uncharted 4 jungle shootout footage looks like the ship graveyard done right. (More freeform, more punchy feedback, enemies already spawned in, better sight lines, more restraint, better build up, better stealth, etc.)

I never felt the mechanics didn't match the freedom of the ship graveyard and I've completed it multiple times, Crushing included.

Just a joy to shoot, stealth, swim and climb in that level.

Lingitiz

That beta is way too short. Seems like they didn't account for either how garbage the PS4 servers are, or the inevitable failure of their own servers. Betas should be 2 weeks at the least.

And for everyone who's confused, the ship graveyard is disliked because though it does have the most freedom of all Uncharted encounters, the design and shooting feedback in UC3 are sub-par and don't support that kind of open ended gameplay at all. So instead of feeling like a badass playground to house a shootout in, it's like a bowl filled with random elements designed by people who completely missed all the design and pacing improvements from UC1 --> UC2. It's messy, shooting feedback is super weak, the spawns are annoying, and the melee system doesn't work in conjunction with that kind of hectic combat. In theory it should be an improvement, but in practice it feels like a step back from UC2, much like the most of that game. The Uncharted 4 jungle shootout footage looks like the ship graveyard done right. (More freeform, more punchy feedback, enemies already spawned in, better sight lines, more restraint, better build up, better stealth, etc.)

That part is full of bad design decisions that break up the flow of combat. Snipers set to spawn while you climb the ladders to the top of the ship, with no way to fight back. Rocket and grenade launcher soldiers placed behind high emplacements in deep cover...it's just not that fun to play.

HORRORSHØW

if the beta shits the bed, there's nothing stopping them from extending it. SF5's first beta was broken but has subsequently gotten better.

Grimløck;179168035 said:
if the beta shits the bed, there's nothing stopping them from extending it. SF5's first beta was broken but has subsequently gotten better.

I think it would just be simpler to start with a 2 week baseline to nail all the connection issues THEN looking at possible extensions for balancing purposes. A short beta + broken servers = Irrational anger they can avoid. We've seen a bigger multiplayer beta than UC fail in the last few weeks alone with Black Ops 3 and it took them like 4 days to really get it working.

Plus even if it doesn't break I wanna play for two weeks back up off me I'm greedy

I think it would just be simpler to start with a 2 week baseline to nail all the connection issues THEN looking at possible extensions for balancing purposes. A short beta + broken servers = Irrational anger they can avoid. We've seen a bigger multiplayer betas than UC fail in the last few weeks alone with Black Ops 3 and it took them like 4 days to really get it working.

Plus even if it doesn't break I wanna play for two weeks back up off me I'm greedy
You're not greedy. You're the one who pays $60, so you're entitled to ask for more duration.

1 week is awfully too short for a paid/closed beta. How come the previous betas were available for 2 weeks and most of them were free as well?

And for everyone who's confused, the ship graveyard is disliked because though it does have the most freedom of all Uncharted encounters, the design and shooting feedback in UC3 are sub-par and don't support that kind of open ended gameplay at all. So instead of feeling like a badass playground to house a shootout in, it's like a bowl filled with random elements designed by people who completely missed all the design and pacing improvements from UC1 --> UC2. It's messy, shooting feedback is super weak, the spawns are annoying, and the melee system doesn't work in conjunction with that kind of hectic combat. In theory it should be an improvement, but in practice it feels like a step back from UC2, much most of the game. The Uncharted 4 jungle shootout footage looks like the ship graveyard done right. (More freeform, more punchy feedback, enemies already spawned in, better sight lines, more restraint, better build up, better stealth, etc.)

That part is full of bad design decisions that break up the flow of combat. Snipers set to spawn while you climb the ladders to the top of the ship, with no way to fight back. Rocket and grenade launcher soldiers placed behind high emplacements in deep cover...it's just not that fun to play.
Design flaw or are you not getting it?

The place is surrounded by water. You dive in, swim around to another side of a boat, climb out, take some shots, get some kills, and repeat. Sniper section is meant to make you feel pinned down... but they give you the grenade launcher to take them out with satisfaction. I can't wait to easily film myself playing this segment with the share option to upload whenever this comes up again. It's Uncharted gunplay at its best outside of the multiplayer.

Kiro

I can't wait for this game. I've never even touched any of the Uncharted games because I didn't own a ps3. I played last of us remastered and it's one of my favourite games. October 9th can't come soon enough.

Design flaw or are you not getting it?

The place is surrounded by water. You dive in, swim around to another side of a boat, climb out, take some shots, get some kills, and repeat. Sniper section is meant to make you feel pinned down... but they give you the grenade launcher to take them out with satisfaction. I can't wait to easily film myself playing this segment with the share option to upload whenever this comes up again. It's Uncharted gunplay at its best outside of the multiplayer.

Every Uncharted discussion I've been in for the last 4 years about that section or any other arena in the game boils down to the same thing.

Person: It's so much more open, you have to move, more options, less cover shooting
Me: *paragraph(s) about why I don't like the game and why I think the design doesn't match the concept* etc. etc.
Person: No you don't get it, you have to jump in the water and use the grenade launchers

For a supposedly more open scenario/game, a lot of the solutions sure do boil down to running around like a crazy person and using the grenade launcher to dispatch haphazardly placed enemies. There's no real variation, and enemy awareness is not complex enough to tackle the situation with style. It's a mess. I've seen dozens of playthrough of that section and they all look the same. And when we get all the way down to it, shooting enemies is not fun in UC3 IMO. The hit reactions took a step back, and the AI abuses those non-reactive hit frames to do whatever they want (either taking cover or forcing you into a melee struggle).

I'll reserve any more arguments for the appropriate threads. But hopefully UC4 saves us and we'll never have to speak of this again.

Every Uncharted discussion I've been in for the last 4 years about that section or any other arena in the game boils down to the same thing.

Person: It's so much more open, you have to move, more options, less cover shooting
Me: *paragraph(s) about why I don't like the game and why I think the design doesn't match the concept* etc. etc.
Person: No you don't get it, you have to jump in the water and use the grenade launchers

For a supposedly more open scenario/game, a lot of the solutions sure do boil down to running around like a crazy person and using the grenade launcher to dispatch haphazardly placed enemies. There's no real variation, and enemy awareness is not complex enough to tackle the situation with style. It's a mess. I've seen dozens of playthrough of that section and they all look the same. And when we get all the way down to it, shooting enemies is not fun in UC3 IMO. The hit reactions took a step back, and the AI abuses those non-reactive hit frames to do whatever they want (either taking cover or forcing you into a melee struggle).

I'll reserve any more arguments for the appropriate threads. But hopefully UC4 saves us and we'll never have to speak of this again.

I think these things are said because based on what we read, it seems like people are having trouble with it. So we offer a safe option to try. This section is like any other Uncharted shooting arena but with more options and dynamics (water, undulating platforms). I've played it stealthily, as a cover shooter and run and gun. A combination of all three makes for some amazing gameplay.

The shooting was improved after a patch (but had to be enabled as it wasn't default). Also, the game is significantly more fun when you soften up enemies and finish them with a punch. Of course, I understand you can't do this with distant enemies.

Pachimari

I'm still not sure if I want this. I have played and completed all of the Uncharted games already, and I'm not one to see a huge difference in screen resolution and frame rates anyway. But there's that Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta though..

emrober5

I remember getting in the SOCOM 2 beta when I was a kid.

The beta ran for what had to be a month or two, up until the day the game came out.

I am really excited about both the collection and UC4, but A WEEK?! That's garbage. Give a couple maps, a couple modes, and keep the servers up for a month or two. I don't think that's asking too much in a game is releasing without it's multiplayer.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think he's being sarcastic, I think?

So you made a forum a while back about greedy naughty dog. Got called out on it for the most part.

And now your coming into basically a information thread, that shows us a another look at what the collection looks like and gives info on how long the U4 beta is, and shitting on it?

Why?

Edit:

So now you talk on behalf of all the uncharted community and potential buyer's, I see.

Here's the matter of the fact. It was a conscious decision by the developer to leave the multiplayer out for whatever reasons. It is up to you the buyer to decide if that's a deal breaker for you. Seeing your response I say it is.

So what's the problem?

If you see value buy it, if not then don't?

Uncharted 4 beta is there for people who buy it. It's not like they won't put a public beta out closer to release. I bet they will have a preorder incentive for UC4 to get beta access during late February or something.

I really think your off base, your thread talked about this already in essence. If your excited and see value your going to get it, if not then don't. it's not them being greedy?
I did make a thread about Naughty Dog's awful DLC practices but I wasn't called out on it. What's there to call out? Everything in that OP was fact. I don't see how it is relevant to this thread. Honestly, I'm getting a little annoyed by how you bring that up in various threads, questioning my motivations, insinuating things, etc. Just stop. You're not going to find what you're looking for here.
I'd argue that many Uncharted fans will be buying this Collection (like myself) precisely so they can re-play them. Naturally the beta is there to prop up and incentivise the Collection, but that being the case doesn't automatically make Naughty Dog greedy. The purpose of a beta is for the developers to be able to test whatever component of a game is included, and if they don't feel an open beta is necessary for that, what better way than to include it in the Collection? That way committed fans of the franchise as well as new players alike, get to experience it alongside the Remastered originals.
I read somewhere that 40% of PS4 owners did not own PS3s so I assume that this is targeted towards them. I don't believe rebuying games is common but I don't have any statistics to back that up. The Greedy Dog thing was a joke since I get teased a lot about it, but I'm really not happy with that decision. If they gave them one week early access or something, I wouldn't mind at all. I'm just worried that I won't be able to play the beta at all. Like I said, I am still holding out hope for another beta.
ps4-online-play.jpg

It would be nice if Sony lived up to their promise at E3 2013. I think the only beta we got out of that was Destiny. Everything else was sign up only or preorder only or something.
Yeah! They should let people who bought their game back in 2007 be apart of the 2015 beta!
2007, 2009, 2011

And yeah, they should.

AngryMoth

Wonder if there'll be other codes floating around for the beta, I really don't feel like getting this collection without U2 multiplayer

EGM1966

giphy.gif

Gawt-Damn

Okay that's my new favourite reaction GIF.

I'm really curious this performs personally. I think it'll do very well for a remaster. It feels like it's got a lot of things going for it at this point:

1. large percentage of PS4 owners didn't have PS3s apparently and therefore there's got to be a decent number who will want this to prepare for U4 narrative wise
  2. of those that have PS4s and played the original's this looks like a worthy enough remaster to tempt a fair percentage to double dip for the 1080p/60fps
  3. it's aligned to the Beta for U4 which should also drive interest
  4. From everything so far shown Bluepoint are going to deliver a rock solid remaster so reviews should be glowing too and of course with PS4 the dominant console there will be a lot of goodwill
  5. Looks like it'll be getting good bundles too

Could be good timing on release for Sony for this one.

I splooged :) Relieving these games will be amazing.

I remember getting in the SOCOM 2 beta when I was a kid.

The beta ran for what had to be a month or two, up until the day the game came out.

I am really excited about both the collection and UC4, but A WEEK?! That's garbage. Give a couple maps, a couple modes, and keep the servers up for a month or two. I don't think that's asking too much in a game is releasing without it's multiplayer.

Huh? A two month beta?

I mean that's just being unreasonable now.

While ND are frantically trying to finish the game they should devote precious resources to supporting a two month beta and not polishing campaign and MP.

I think be a bit more understanding with your demands.

bombshell

Huh? A two month beta?

I mean that's just being unreasonable now.

While ND are frantically trying to finish the game they should devote precious resources to supporting a two month beta and not polishing campaign and MP.

I think be a bit more understanding with your demands.

Exactly this.

It takes a lot of resources away from the development of the game to run a beta. Besides, a 10 day beta is longer than the vast majority of betas these days. They want to stress test the servers and check for balance issues etc., which does not need several weeks of resources taken away from the finishing of the game. The beta isn't run for the convenience of us, but for Naughty Dog.

Really? Then why do we have to pay $60 to play a beta?

Nintendo released a free Splatoon beta to test their servers.

The game would still be 60 bucks without the beta.

It's just thrown in as a nice bonus for fans and as a means to get a good-sized sample group in to make sure ND have a smooth MP launch.

WITHE1982

Fantastic trailer. I can't wait to see the new models in action in UC1. It's where I'm expecting the biggest increase in visual quality.

I hope you are paying $60 to play the collection. The beta is a bonus.
Nice strawman right there. I would appreciate it if you answered my question.

I repeat: Why do we have to pay $60 to play a beta and stress test ND servers? It's for ND's convenience, right? Isn't that what you said?

Nintendo released a free Splatoon beta to stress test their servers.

When you pay $60 for a beta, you're entitled to ask for more duration.

To clarify with this logic, when you do something like jump or reload in a video game, you also consider it having cost the price of the game to do those things as well, right?
Stupid logic is stupid. You made me lost a few brain cells.

The game would still be 60 bucks without the beta.

It's just thrown in as a nice bonus for fans and as a means to get a good-sized sample group in to make sure ND have a smooth MP launch.
What if someone wants the beta only and not the games? Is there any alternative?

Why not make the beta available for Uncharted 4 pre-orders?

Why not make the beta available for PS+ subscribers?

Top Bottom