• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted: Golden Abyss Screenshots

Thoraxes

If they've had more than 2 years to work on this, like i've heard reported, it better look this good.

That is some major development time for a handheld game.

It's probably the most beautiful handheldgame for years to come. But I'm not that hyped for the game. It's just another Uncharted game, I already thought U2 was too much of the same.

Thoraxes

Optional execept for the coal-map rubbing minigame stuff... I think. Someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong though.

Jarmel

Banned
Spiegel said:
WTF?
snip
uncharted-drakes-fortune-interview-20071210072850327.jpg

uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053243327.jpg

uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053235515.jpg

tci said:
What's so funny? Sure some of the textures are decent, but the geometry is really low compared to Uncharted on PS3. But it looks good, no denying that.

Saying it just looks "good" for a portable when there is nothing else on portables that even looks half as good. Comparing it to consoles is ridiculous.

FreeMufasa said:
It looks nice but is anyone else not impressed by non-interactive backdrops that are far away? You see it a lot recently in Sonys 1st party games.

This has been the case for games since almost forever. Why would a developer spend precious time making assets for something there's no possible way the player could interact with it? Give it some low-level geometry, a few effects, balance it against the foreground and call it a day.

The only time it ever bugs me is when it's either too close or inconsistent with the surroundings.

Thoraxes

SuperSonic1305 said:
Saying it just looks "good" for a portable when there is nothing else on portables that even looks half as good. Comparing it to consoles is ridiculous.
But those are the kind of games that are coming to the platform.

Don't have any plan or reason to buy a Vita, but that is damn impressive. A combination of powerful though still limited tech and artists who really know what to do with it.

Jarmel

Banned
I was having trouble figuring out whether it was the textures or geometry that was superior in the PS3 version and I think it's the overall geometry. Textures are about on par except for the rocks in the front in the PSV.

SuperSonic1305 said:

We could compare it to 3DS games but there'd be no discussion.

tci

SuperSonic1305 said:
It looked to me that you reacted that way because of the comparison to PS3 the other user said that I commented on.

I'm not sure what reaction I should have... It looks good for a portable system.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The game has lower res textures and geometry than UC1, that's a fact, but the IQ, lighting, and performance of GA should be be better.

Jarmel

Banned
Jinfash said:
The game has lower res textures and geometry than UC1, that's a fact, but the IQ, lighting, and performance of GA should be be better.

Honestly I would say the textures are about on par but it's the geometry that is way off.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jarmel said:
Honestly I would say the textures are about on par but it's the geometry that is way off.
UC1 had some crazy good, albeit inconsistent texture quality. The highs were higher than UC2, imo. So maybe it's the same case here, because the rocks in the first screen leave a lot to be desired.

Leona Lewis said:
amz7s2.gif

Just leaving this here.

And the screens are not bullshots. The slightly angular geometry gives it away.

Bullshots means supersampled and downscaled to get better IQ, or touched up in photoshop to smoothen shadows and make the lighting look better etc.

Also not sure why they show the 3rd screenshot when it just shows a 2d background in 90 percent of the picture.

Jarmel

Banned
Jinfash said:
UC1 had some crazy good, albeit inconsistent texture quality. The highs were higher than UC2, imo. So maybe it's the same case here, because the rocks in the first screen leaves a lot to be desired.

Fully agree on the rocks. If the rocks weren't there I would almost say it's looks to be equal to DF on that front. It's really hard to tell on textures until we play the game and can examine it alot more closely but the PSV does for the most part seem to be pretty good even for early PS3 standards.

Geometry is where the disparity between the two systems is obvious. Things appear to me to be flatter and sharper compared to the PS3 version.

These shots look godly. I need this, wipeout, gravity daze, lumines, and namco had better get on a port of pacman CE DX with full leaderboard functionality.

Sony is going to have around $500 of my hard earned cash which is rediculous for a handheld. However I care not as I need this game and console.

Sony Bend made some of my fave games on PSP. Those 2 syphon filter games I thought were AMAZING. I know they'll knock this one outa the park, pics look great.

Amir0x

Banned
it really does look like a first gen PS3 title. I can't believe we're playing games like that on the go already but I hope the Vita lasts long enough to get at least a few dozens games of such crazy visuals.

Amir0x said:
it really does look like a first gen PS3 title. I can't believe we're playing games like that on the go already but I hope the Vita lasts long enough to get at least a few dozens games of such crazy visuals.
I think the vita will carve itself out a nice little marketshare. I am not really worried about it failing.

Amir0x

Banned
i really hope you're right, but I think there's virtually no chance a $250 gaming dedicated handheld is going to take off, at least anywhere other then perhaps Japan, at least not in an economy like this

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thoraxes said:
If they've had more than 2 years to work on this, like i've heard reported, it better look this good.

That is some major development time for a handheld game.

Yeah, two years.
This is the game that really sold me on the Vita.

Man

Gravity Daze is looking equally stunning imo.

Resistance was a fps trainwreck at Gamescom but Gravity Daze and Uncharted both have complex environments and run well.

Art like this doesn't hurt either:

gravity20320sc031fhj.jpg

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm looking forward to seeing other locations... the jungle looks good but I am personally a bit over jungles at the moment. More interested in what other environments they are bringing to this game.

Keeping an eye on this one of course, but I'm not completely sold until I've seen more than the videos of this area.

Amir0x

Banned
Man said:
Gravity Daze is looking equally stunning imo.

Resistance was a fps trainwreck at Gamescom but Gravity Daze and Uncharted both have complex environments and run well.

maybe artistically but technically this is on a whole 'nother galaxy.

Resistance looks bad even in screens. Gross looking

Amir0x said:
i really hope you're right, but I think there's virtually no chance a $250 gaming dedicated handheld is going to take off, at least anywhere other then perhaps Japan, at least not in an economy like this
You're probably right unless my expectations for consumer perceived value is way off.

dmshaposv

While the visuals are good, the vita's battery better not die after 30-45 mins of gameplay. I don't think battery tech has become efficient enough yet.

I don't think this is the average quality we should be expecting from Vita titles. Bend were wizards with what they accomplished on the PSP. The two Syphon Filter games (BRING IT BACK) and Resistance Retribution looked incredible for the system. Ready at Dawn was their only western rival for PSP game production values.

Tuck

Amir0x said:

Unfortunately, I agree with this. Vita may seem like a great deal to me, but to the average consumer, I'm thinking most of them are gonna continue buying iPods.

Not gonna stop me from enjoying Vita though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
revolverjgw said:
I don't mind it. I'm always impressed by nice art.

Very much this. I don't care how it's achieved, I just care how it looks. Smart devs and artists use tricks like this because it allows them to show a beautiful scene without incurring large processing costs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TheExecutive said:
I think the vita will carve itself out a nice little marketshare. I am not really worried about it failing.

The real worry is that even if it does carve out a nice little marketshare, will that market be able to support more games like Golden Abyss? I'm going to assume it was pretty expensive to make for a handheld title.

On the other hand, I guess Sony designed the thing so that big games could be ported, thus reducing the cost of putting big ass games on a low install base device.

But on the third hand, who wants to play a port of a AAA game on their portable? I don't. Probably a few people do, but I can't imagine it's many.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, they're just doing the jungle again?

Top Bottom