• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted: Golden Abyss Screenshots

plainr_

This game will be bought day one no question asked.

I really hope there is MP for this. U3 MP already got me covered but it would be nice to play this baby on my trips.

StuBurns said:
What haven't they done? Jungles, towns, deserts, mountains. Unless we get Uncharted in space expect retreads from here on out.

Modern big cities. I'd really like that. That one sequence in Tomb Raider Legend was great.

I like the array of areas shown in the Uncharted 3 trailer. The trailer for Uncharted GA has been Uncharted 1 territory. Catacombs, jungles and the like. It was cool to have a cohesive setting in the first game, but I appreciate a globe trotting adventure more. Seems to be the former here.

Duffyside

Banned
StuBurns said:
What haven't they done? Jungles, towns, deserts, mountains. Unless we get Uncharted in space expect retreads from here on out.
Eh, that's a little simplified. This jungle does look quite same-y to me too. You could do an African plains landscape. Or a swamp. Or some sort of Australian outback setting. Or another snow setting but this time instead of up a mountain it be a landscape with towering, skinny trees all around you. I mean, there is some variety to be had here, and I do worry that I may have seen this environment, portrayed in this way, one too many times with how much I've played Uncharted 1 (replaying it right this moment, actually).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
Modern big cities. I'd really like that. That one sequence in Tomb Raider Legend was great.

I like the array of areas shown in the Uncharted 3 trailer. The trailer for Uncharted GA has been Uncharted 1 territory. Catacombs, jungles and the like. It was cool to have a cohesive setting in the first game, but I appreciate a globe trotting adventure more. Seems to be the former here.
I think it has less to do with globe-trotting versus one cohesive setting for me so much as it has to do with using THE SAME setting.

Are my eyes deceiving me? How can that be on the Vita? I can't wait to get my slimy hands on a Vita.

Hopefully new environments are shown at TGS.

Rez said:
I think it has less to do with globe-trotting versus one cohesive setting for me so much as it has to do with using THE SAME setting.

yeah, I agree. But Uncharted 2 had a jungle setting too. All I'm saying is of what has been shown thus far, I'd prefer the Jungle to be a location instead of the location.

If they went with something different and made that the sole setting, I'd prefer that too over another jungle setting.

Rez said:

I'm sure you'll spend only a portion of the game actually traversing actual jungle, just like UC1. That had a cathedral, a sunken city, various ruins and underground catacombs, a Spanish fortress, a submarine, an underground bunker, etc. The important thing is what there will be to discover in this new jungle.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Fucking hell. This is a launch title. I don't think I can come up with a good reason to not get a Vita at some point in its life. First time ever I would be a dual handheld owner.

Takao

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
The real worry is that even if it does carve out a nice little marketshare, will that market be able to support more games like Golden Abyss? I'm going to assume it was pretty expensive to make for a handheld title.

Bend has actually said Vita games may have budgets rivaling those of PSP titles.

Why does everyone call Uncharted 2 some globe-trotting adventure?

It actually follows a similar path to Uncharted 1 in that you play through two minor locations before getting to the main one

UC1:
Boat -> jungle environment with Sully -> second island where you seamlessly progress through the rest of the environments (eg temples, caves, rivers, submarine etc.)

UC2

Museum -> jungle environment with Sully -> Nepal and then seamless progression through the rest of the environments (eg snow, temples, village etc.)

StuBurns

Banned
Uncharted 1 feels cohesive to me, Uncharted 2 was like make random shit and we'll patch them together with Star Wars screen wipes.

Duffyside

Banned
Chuck Norris said:

It actually follows a similar path to Uncharted 1 in that you play through two minor locations before getting to the main one

UC1:
Boat -> jungle environment with Sully -> second island where you seamlessly progress through the rest of the environments (eg temples, caves, rivers, submarine etc.)

UC2

Museum -> jungle environment with Sully -> Nepal and then seamless progression through the rest of the environments (eg snow, temples, village etc.)
Huh, well-said. Even though I've never said it as a complaint, I've never argued with someone who called Uncharted 2 a "globe-trotting adventure."

I should've expected this from Chuck Norris.

StuBurns said:

Just watching that in regards to the location discussion. It may be nothing but around the 30 second mark when Nate meets Marissa they are in a jungle location, probably the jungle we've seen so far. However immediately afterwards ~37 seconds in she and Drake are in a library of some sorts. Unless they are pulling a Chloe in UC2 and Nate and Marissa are just pretending not to know each other, chronologically the library stuff would have to follow after the jungle and could precede a change of location.

Raonak

Banned
Chuck Norris said:

UC1:

UC2

wheres that gif of nathan fillion trying to say something, but failing to get the words.
EDIT:
found it
B61QO.gif

very sound point. never relised the similarities in terms of progression.

A question: Is there middleware/engines available to let a developer that cannot spend two years making a portable game create truly compelling visuals?

outunderthestars said:
A question: Is there middleware/engines available to let a developer that cannot spend two years making a portable game create truly compelling visuals?

PhyreEngine 3.0
:

Previous versions of PhyreEngine have been used by a handful of downloadable and retail titles such as Demon's Souls, Critter Crunch, Shatter and thatgamecompany's Flower and flOw.

edit: More complete list on the Wikipedia page.

Raonak

Banned
outunderthestars said:

I remember seeing engine after engine announced for it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
outunderthestars said:
The most notable is Unreal Engine 3.

Zombie James said:
One thing that should be noted here is that PhyreEngine isn't actually a complete engine, but it is quite helpful to get going.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lighting and texture detail seems a lot better than what I remember from some earlier screens of that location. Lighting looks very nice and diffuse.
outunderthestars said:
THere's UE3, but if you suck at making compelling visuals there's really no engine that can make you unsuck.

Takao

Banned
outunderthestars said:

If there's a middleware engine you can think of, there's a good chance it supports Vita. At GDC a whole tonne of middleware support was announced.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The real worry is that even if it does carve out a nice little marketshare, will that market be able to support more games like Golden Abyss? I'm going to assume it was pretty expensive to make for a handheld title.

On the other hand, I guess Sony designed the thing so that big games could be ported, thus reducing the cost of putting big ass games on a low install base device.

But on the third hand, who wants to play a port of a AAA game on their portable? I don't. Probably a few people do, but I can't imagine it's many.
The point is not to downport aaa games, but to make new spin off titles like golden abyys, imagine new bioshock, assassin creed, or dead space for vita, they can reuse some asset from console game, but offer new story and character, there will be enough incentive for fans of the series to be excited for it.

As a prequel, I'm perfectly fine with it being a simple, single-ish location. I hate when prequels come out and end up being some grander story of adventure than the original when in the original, it seems like this shit happening is the craziest shit that's ever happened to them in their lives.

Raonak said:
wheres that gif of nathan fillion trying to say something, but failing to get the words.
EDIT:
found it
B61QO.gif

very sound point. never relised the similarities in terms of progression.
Its just the overall arc, it doesn't seem similar cause Naughty Dog are smart enough to have totally different pacing and more natural variety offered in Nepal than a South American island

I'm trying not to follow UC3 too closely but from what I've seen in snippets I wouldn't be surprised if the flow of the story went

Ship -> European city with Sully -> desert city, desert, temples etc. for the main portion

CrankyKong said:
How is that even possible?
Vita development is easier than PSP and much easier than PS3. They'd probably save a lot just on programming problems.

They also might save some money on the cheaper dev kits

Amir0x said:
Yeah. My fear is that for however good the game looks, it's going to end up being like a God of War handheld situation where it's like a 4 hour (launch window) game and so not a very good way to spent your money if you want bang for your buck.

Do we know if this will have the multiplayer component like the console versions do?

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. It's absolutely amazing as a technical showcase, but I'm not really convinced that we'll get a lengthy game as is befitting of the UC franchise. My guess is probably 6-7 hours, which is pretty good. And I'm not sure if MP will seal the deal for me since I could just play UC3 on my plasma.

Utako

Banned
I was wondering why everyone was blown away by this and why I was so disappointed, then I realized this wasn't Uncharted 3 and proceeded to join the fap.

DiscoJer

Takao said:
Bend has actually said Vita games may have budgets rivaling those of PSP titles.

Yeah, but at the same time, how many 3rd party games had the production values of Sony Bend's PSP games? (The Syphon Filter games anyway)

Peace Walker? FF Type 0...

Most the other big games used a lot of assets from past titles (LCS/VCS, MHP, PSP)

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
That's kind of what I'm afraid of. It's absolutely amazing as a technical showcase, but I'm not really convinced that we'll get a lengthy game as is befitting of the UC franchise. My guess is probably 6-7 hours, which is pretty good. And I'm not sure if MP will seal the deal for me since I could just play UC3 on my plasma.
Previous bend games actually have good length and content, not only that, they have good reason to replay the game for hidden items, rank, challenges to use different weapons etc. ready at dawns' god of war gamea are the one which lackung content and unlockables

onQ123

les papillons sexuels said:
looks better then original xbox games, I'm impressed.

it looks better than the game that was said to be the best looking next gen console game in the 1st year of this Generation

Massa

Callibretto said:
The point is not to downport aaa games, but to make new spin off titles like golden abyys, imagine new bioshock, assassin creed, or dead space for vita, they can reuse some asset from console game, but offer new story and character, there will be enough incentive for fans of the series to be excited for it.

Problem is that unless you're Sony it makes no sense to put out a game like that on Vita but not 360/PS3.

What amazes me the most is the fact that this is a launch game. Imagine what devs are going to do with the Vita in five years. :O

Top Bottom