• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted: Golden Abyss Screenshots

Shtof

PerZona said:
Crazy graphics. How is it possible that the graphics is like better or almost at the same standard as in Uncharted 1? @_@
Solid hardware in the Vita, and half the resolution.

Anteater

dr_rus said:
You do understand that this shot is the least impressive of them all because that's just one log, Nathan and a somewhat blurry texture in the background, right?

I liked the shot, I thought the background looks pretty good, it's a good comparison to uncharted 2, while UC1 and 2 had pretty good draw distance, I didn't really like how they rendered the trees and objects, some of the trees/environments are usually quite jagged/blurred, the vita screenshots, while might not all be 3d, looks great

UC2:

3oXgg.jpg

UC Vita:

vAfZU.jpg

Sullichin

French said:
No. It looks good but it doesn't deserve to be in the same list as Uncharted / Killzone or open worlds like GTA IV.

It's not even in HD.

@ Meisadragon : "Halo: Reach is undoubtedly a colossal improvement over the previous games in the series" That wasn't difficult.

I guess it's subjective. I thought the game looked amazing, great art, architecture and lighting.

M3d10n

Lord Error said:
I think it's very safe to say at this point that anything that can be made to run on todays consoles, can be made to run on this handheld, and with minimal sacrifices. Everything we've seen so far has been confirming this. There's nothing magical about GTA4 that would make it any different.
Sorry, but no. Golden Abyss looks as good as it does because it's made from the ground up for the system. The amount of objects, geometry complexity, textures and even level layout are designed taking in account the system's strengths and limitations in account. If you look beyond the 16X AA bullshots, some of these limitations are already visible: the characters don't cast shadows on themselves in any of the screenshots and most of the foliage doesn't cast shadows at all, signaling Bend hit some limits in terms of either fillrate or fragment processing time.

GTA4 does a number of things we haven't seen on Vita yet: large amount of dynamic objects (pedestrians and vehicles), large draw distances on open-ended levels and deferred lighting.

Anteater said:
I liked the shot, I thought the background looks pretty good, it's a good comparison to uncharted 2, while UC1 and 2 had pretty good draw distance, I didn't really like how they rendered the trees and objects, some of the trees/environments are usually quite jagged/blurred, the vita screenshots, while might not all be 3d, looks great
They're not blurred neither jagged because they're bullshots taken at much higher resolution and downsized. We had direct feed screenshots of Vita games and while they have AA, it's not print-grade.

Mr_Brit

Banned
French said:
Halo Reach isn't impressive.
Mods: Why isn't this guy perma banned yet? He is the biggest, unashamed troll on the site and has trolled nearly every single Nintendo and sometimes MS threads with impunity. Seriously, take just 5 minutes to go through his post history and you'll have more than enough material to justify a perma.

Apath

French said:
No. It looks good but it doesn't deserve to be in the same list as Uncharted / Killzone or open worlds like GTA IV.

It's not even in HD.

@ Meisadragon : "Halo: Reach is undoubtedly a colossal improvement over the previous games in the series" That wasn't difficult.
So let me get this straight: A game can be considered impressive because it flat out looks good (ie. Uncharted & Killzone), or a game can be impressive because of what it does while maintaining decent visuals (GTA).

So why is it that Halo Reach, a game that does a good deal more than Killzone or Uncharted -- though not as much as GTA -- while maintaining graphics that are some of the best not only on its system but for the generation as a whole -- though not as well as Uncharted or Killzone -- is not impressive?

Hyuga

Banned
Kenak said:
So let me get this straight: A game can be considered impressive because it flat out looks good (ie. Uncharted & Killzone), or a game can be impressive because of what it does while maintaining decent visuals (GTA).

So why is it that Halo Reach, a game that does a good deal more than Killzone or Uncharted -- though not as much as GTA -- while maintaining graphics that are some of the best not only on its system but for the generation as a whole -- though not as well as Uncharted or Killzone -- is not impressive?
Why are we/you talking about Halo Reach in an "Uncharted: Golden Abyss" Thread?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shtof said:
Solid hardware in the Vita, and half the resolution.

Software's important here too. Sony's benefited a lot from first party investment in 'HD' game development, and games like UC are benefiting from a big chunk of collective experience and evolved software techniques over the last few years.

I think now we know about Vita's hardware design, it's fair to say that Sony is at its peak wrt hardware and game software design expertise. They have the (fairly unique?) ability to design fantastic hardware and the ability to show what it can really do, which I think is quite exciting for the future and other future platforms - as long as they don't get complacent again and drop the ball :)

Hyuga

Banned
DennisK4 said:
This Uncharted game sure is mighty impressive
An it's a first gen game. Damn.... =)
gofreak said:
Software's important here too. Sony's benefited a lot from first party investment in 'HD' game development, and games like UC are benefiting from a big chunk of collective experience and evolved software techniques over the last few years.

I think now we know about Vita's hardware design, it's fair to say that Sony is at its peak wrt hardware and game software design expertise. They have the (fairly unique?) ability to design fantastic hardware and the ability to show what it can really do, which I think is quite exciting for the future and other future platforms - as long as they don't get complacent again and drop the ball :)
Yep! Hirai will improve it even more in the future.
Can't wait until next gen starts (in maybe 2 years) :)

Apath

FINALBOSS said:
GODLIKE.

And this is just the launch titles...I can only imagine a year or three down the road. WOWOWOWOWOW.
People are saying that the Vita's hardware is very "transparent", in that developers are able to exploit it a lot more efficiently at launch as opposed to something like the PS3. So while Vita titles will undoubtedly look better as time goes on, we shouldn't expect to see as dramatic of increases as we've seen from typical home consoles.

Sony launch handheld games always seem to blow my mind visually. These Uncharted screens are reminding me of the PSP launch of Ridge Racer, Wipeout Tony Hawk, MGS Acid and Gran Turismo. PSVita has me pumped for handheld gaming all over again.

commedieu

Banned
I enter the thread.

I see the screenshots.

I think to myself, Man, uncharted 3 is turning out pretty well. I see that they've improved the jungle look and feel a bit. Looks a little sharper too.

I then see that its a vita game.

I feel fear for the last time.

JJD

Mr_Brit said:
Mods: Why isn't this guy perma banned yet? He is the biggest, unashamed troll on the site and has trolled nearly every single Nintendo and sometimes MS threads with impunity. Seriously, take just 5 minutes to go through his post history and you'll have more than enough material to justify a perma.

I think asking to ban another user isn't permitted either. If you disagree with him, or just don't like him, ignore the guy. No need to ask for such thing.

NBtoaster said:
They are in no way "b-tier". Resistance Retribution was better than Resistance 2.

It doesn't take much to be better than Resistance 2. Bend is pretty good though, probably still not in the same tier as ND/Sucker Punch/Media Molecule/GG.

Hyuga

Banned
Kenak said:
People are saying that the Vita's hardware is very "transparent", in that developers are able to exploit it a lot more efficiently at launch as opposed to something like the PS3. So while Vita titles will undoubtedly look better as time goes on, we shouldn't expect to see as dramatic of increases as we've seen from typical home consoles.
People said "nearly" the same about the PSP (Yep, I know the VITA is easier to develope for).
It's just the beginning, as it seems. And I really like it.
I want an open world JRPG :)
ProfessorMoran said:
It doesn't take much to be better than Resistance 2. Bend is pretty good though, probably still not in the same tier as ND/Sucker Punch/Media Molecule/GG.
I would say the are.
Their Syphon Filter games on the PS1 & PSP were amazing.
Resistance: Retribution is the best Resistance game (gameplay and extra features) at the moment. Nearly all of their games were awesome (only Omega Strain/PS2 was meh!).
Give them a bigger budget + the permission to develope for the PS3/4 = *tearsofjoy*

Many PS3 games from japan looks like better Playstation 2 titles in 720p, because the budgets are too small for better looking graphics. I guess we will get the same things with the Vita.

JJD

PdotMichael said:
Many PS3 games from japan looks like better Playstation 2 titles in 720p, because the budgets are too small for better looking graphics. I guess we will get the same things with the Vita.

I don't understand. Did you think FFXIII, Bayonetta, RE5 or MGS4 looked like HD PS2 games? Just from the Vita launch lineup we've seem a lot of games that look way better than PS2 games, imagine 1, 2 years from launch when developers have a better grasp on the hardware.

Anteater

M3d10n said:
They're not blurred neither jagged because they're bullshots taken at much higher resolution and downsized. We had direct feed screenshots of Vita games and while they have AA, it's not print-grade.

Sorry missed your reply, yea I don't know if it'll actually look like that on the actual screen, but if it does have the same IQ, I'd prefer it over UC2's background, I thought some of those are prerendered though, though I could be wrong.

Xiaoki

24FrameDaVinci said:
Absolutely not, and anyone who does is preposterous. Same with Ready At Dawn, those guys have more talent than most other console devs.
Yes, I agree but there are those that do not, such as:
charlequin said:
I mean that they're repeating the "all your favorite console franchises, portable and made by B-tier teams!"

Anteater said:

I don't find this picture 'omg worthy' at all because of one simple reason: the background looks extremely fake. 2D backgrounds look out of place in a lot of games and I can't help but notice them all. They feel like they're not part of the world.

If some of you think it looks great than that's awesome, more power to you.

Edit: This is one very bad case actually, ewww. The 2 backgrounds don't even... Blend in some sort of believable way. Looks very bad. But that's beyond the point. The game looks great.

I'm grateful to be getting a big budget handheld Uncharted, but I'd rather have Bend doing smaller scale console games. Console games starring Gabe Logan. And titled "Syphon Filter".

Mr_Brit said:

with this one post they have enough material to justify banning you.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The three Cortex-A9s and main RAM access would be quite capable for handling open world games, and 2bpp PVR-TC goes a long way.

Textures look great for the most part. That's going to take up lots of room on the card.

The fact that game sizes will be pretty large on Vita gives me hope that even if piracy becomes an option, most people won't bother downloading 4GB files. It was so laughably simple on PSP that I'm not surprised it quickly became a rampant problem.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Leona Lewis said:
Textures look great for the most part. That's going to take up lots of room on the card.

The fact that game sizes will be pretty large on Vita gives me hope that even if piracy becomes an option, most people won't bother downloading 4GB files. It was so laughably simple on PSP.
But large file sizes didn't deter PC piracy, let alone console piracy.

Looks fantastic. For me, the PSP was a major burn. I just wasn't interested in many of the games, and some of the games that came late in the generation that I wanted to play still were not alluring enough to make me buy a new one. It just wasn't as fun as the DS. But Vita has such an awesome lineup. I love it. The price is the best part. It's super nice.

Yeah 4GB really isn't that much anymore

I think the average person wouldn't bother downloading a massive Blu-Ray game or something but generally file size isn't really an issue when it comes to piracy, pirates gonna pirate.

gogogow

4GB is laughable small for pirates. There are people who downloads full size BD movies. Also PC games are easily over 10GB in size.

JJD

kvn said:
"people won't bother downloading 4GB files."

In which century do we live again? ;-)

Just do a quick search in torrent sites and you will find thousands of people seeding movies and games way bigger than 4GB.

When the Vita releases, I'll be buying games only from the PSN. I have a shitty ISP, and my connection speed isn't that great but I can download 4GB in just a couple hours.

I got the PSN version of Mass Effect 2 (12GB) in an afternoon.

Downloading files this size isn't really an issue anymore to many people, unless your ISP has bandwidth caps.

kvn

JJD said:
Just do a quick search in torrent sites and you will find thousands of people seeding movies and games way bigger than 4GB.

When the Vita releases, I'll be buying games only from the PSN. I have a shitty ISP, and my connection speed isn't that great but I can download 4GB in just a couple hours.

I got the PSN version of Mass Effect 2 (12GB) in an afternoon.

Downloading files this size isn't really an issue anymore to many people, unless your ISP has bandwidth caps.

That was like..my point.

BDGAME

Uncharted 1 (Ps3):

art18.jpg

art17.jpg

art16.jpg

art12.jpg

art13.jpg

art14.jpg

art09.jpg

art10-1.jpg

Compare:

zI9oU.jpg

art18.jpg

Vita:
- Better plant texture
- better Drake model
- Better cinematic (thanks to better drake model)

Ps3
- better light
- better scenario models
- more objects with more polygons
- better rock texture

Top Bottom