• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted: Golden Abyss Screenshots

Kambing

Hot damn,

If the screens look this good on our monitors and or TV's, imagine it on the 5inch OLED Vita screen. *drools*

Takao

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Yeah, but at the same time, how many 3rd party games had the production values of Sony Bend's PSP games? (The Syphon Filter games anyway)

Peace Walker? FF Type 0...

Most the other big games used a lot of assets from past titles (LCS/VCS, MHP, PSP)

;)

Esperado

Amir0x said:
Man is every thing in Golden Abyss set in one location? I can't recall seeing anywhere else but this jungle place so far
IMO, it's not a game unless it has snow level, fire level, water level, etc.

nib95

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
amz7s2.gif

Just leaving this here.

And the screens are not bullshots. The slightly angular geometry gives it away.

And..

vAfZU.jpg

WTF....this is portable?!!

PSYGN

Would it be difficult to port the latest GTA and Saint's Row games to the Vita (heck, I'd love to see a Red Dead Redemption game as well)?

I remember being amazed at the PSP when we got our GTA fix on it. I want my mind to be asploded again!

Mr_Brit

Banned
PSYGN said:
Would it be difficult to port the latest GTA and Saint's Row games to the Vita (heck, I'd love to see a Red Dead Redemption game as well)?

I remember being amazed at the PSP when we got our GTA fix on it. I want my mind to be asploded again!
I doubt Vita could run anything approaching GTA IV or RDR, maybe it could if they severely reduced AI, draw distance, animation, car and pedestrian density etc.

Takao

Banned
PSYGN said:

A straight port probably wouldn't be feasible with those games, but certainly Rockstar could use the assets from GTA IV and downscale them for a Vita game.

Shtof

I have the weirdest boner... No seriously, those screens looks better than a lot of PS3 games released even today. Sure, the resolution may be smaller but still... imagine what ND or id could do with the Vita.

Shtof

Mr_Brit said:
I doubt Vita could run anything approaching GTA IV or RDR, maybe it could if they severely reduced AI, draw distance, animation, car and pedestrian density etc.
I'm assuming you have not worked with developing for the Vita and don't know much about programming open world games. Neither do I, but RDR and GTA4 are not good examples from a technical standpoint when Just Cause 2 have better graphics, far larger world and the main character can move around at far greater speed. The draw distance is rather fantastic too.

Also, remember Vita only need to push 0.52 megapixels due to the resolution, compared to a regular HD game which pushes 0.92 megapixels or FullHD which is around 2,1 megapixels.

Gravijah

Shtof said:
I'm assuming you have not worked with developing for the Vita and don't know much about programming open world games. Neither do I, but RDR and GTA4 are not good examples from a technical standpoint when Just Cause 2 have better graphics, far larger world and the main character can move around at far greater speed. The draw distance is rather fantastic too.

Also, remember Vita only need to push 0.52 megapixels due to the resolution, compared to a regular HD game which pushes 0.92 megapixels or FullHD which is around 2,1 megapixels.

RDR & GTAIV have Euphoria. How much of a consoles resources does an animation system like that take?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
at first I was looking at screenshots thinking that it is UC3 bullshots. I was going to say something like "I want all next-gen game to look like this" but then I saw that it is on Vita.

Vita bought.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Shtof said:

Wow scolded by a junior who assumes I know as little as he does, you won't last here for long. I know enough to know that RDR/GTA IV are a lot more technically impressive on consoles over JC2, the animation, geometry and AI alone are more impressive than any other open world games by far never mind the full package. JC2 is impressive but you can't use it as a barometer for knowing the viability of a GTA IV/RDR port to Vita.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Edge cover for Vita this month nails my sentiment on it when you see stuff like this.

But it's not just redefining the state of the art of mobile gaming, IMO, it's giving us advance access to next-next(-next?)-gen mobile/ios gaming but in 6 months (assuming the mobile market rises to support development investments like this in the first place - which may still be questionable). When a dedicated handheld can offer this kind of leap forward into the future, it shows why they still have a role IMO.

subversus

the only thing I didn't like about handhelds was graphics. Now it's fixed and I can purchase one.

Ellis Kim

Banned
gofreak said:
The Edge cover for Vita this month nails my sentiment on it when you see stuff like this.

But it's not just redefining the state of the art of mobile gaming, IMO, it's giving us advance access to next-next(-next?)-gen mobile/ios gaming but in 6 months (assuming the mobile market rises to support development investments like this in the first place - which may still be questionable). When a dedicated handheld can offer this kind of leap forward into the future, it shows why they still have a role IMO.
Here's what I think:

Will tablets and phones be able to run Vita graphics in 6 months to a year? Sure, they'll have the capability, but the controls will continue to be limited to multi-touch only, with the occasional gyroscope.

Vita is going to have staying power because of its tablet touch/gyro capabilities AND traditional controls.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: The smartest thing that Sony can do with the Vita right now is to open it up to App development, making it gaming first, tablet second. That PSP digital comic reader's going to have to make some sort of translation into the Vita; that much is certain, at least.

Takao

Banned
subversus said:
the only thing I didn't like about handhelds was graphics. Now it's fixed and I can purchase one.

If that's what kept you away before, are you sure it's a good idea to buy when in a few years console games will look considerably better than this?

Ellis Kim said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again: The smartest thing that Sony can do with the Vita right now is to open it up to App development, making it gaming first, tablet second. That PSP digital comic reader's going to have to make some sort of translation into the Vita; that much is certain, at least.

We also have the 4Square, Facebook, Twiter, Skype, and Nico Nico Douga apps.

Mr_Zombie

Holy shit, this looks amazing. Resolution aside, this looks on par, or even better than some AAA games released on home consoles this generation. :O

DiscoJer

ConradCervantes said:
Looks quite impressive. And this is just launch software. I can't wait to see what SCE comes up with two, three years from now.

Of course, the same thing happened on PSP. The first Syphon Filter was really amazing looking (even though only like 4 people noticed), but there wasn't a great leap over that, even with Bend's later titles (and again, nothing from a third party really touched it).

A big factor is just how much time & money developers will put in.

I'm hoping Cambridge can get Killzone Vita to not look like arse. They are a great team.

Bend have done a fantastic job with this. Amazing work.

spats

Galvanise_ said:
I'm hoping Cambridge can get Killzone Vita to not look like arse. They are a great team.

Bend have done a fantastic job with this. Amazing work.

After seeing Resistance: Burning Skies and the piss frame rate it ran at, I'm really hoping Cambridge pulls through with Killzone. The snippets of footage we've seen have looked awesome in my opinion.

subversus

Takao said:
If that's what kept you away before, are you sure it's a good idea to buy when in a few years console games will look considerably better than this?

yeah, I'm ok with graphics starting this gen.

Oni Jazar

PSYGN said:

My initial impression was no but then I remembered the near perfect port of the GTA engine to PSP. So... Maybe!

I'm afraid that Uncharted will end up going in the same direction as God of War, with multiple side-stories that hit all the beats and do nothing beyond that.

Expect a mystical sci-fi plot twist in the last 2-3 chapters.

BDGAME

WoW! This game looks freaking amazing for a portable. I can believe a first gen game can look that good!

Yoshichan said:

For this comparison, the vita game has a better Drake as grass models and better leaf textures.
But the Ps3 has better light, a lot more geometry, better rock textures and, I believe better physics, but this we can't see in pics.

This game is not looking better than uncharted 1 on Ps3... but its look SO GOOD for a portable game and have so many details, that make the Vita look more impressive than PSP when first showed (it was very impressive for its time too).

DrXym

Looks great. My worry from the shots is how similar they are to Uncharted 1. As if someone just lifted all the generic jungle assets and shoved them into the new title.

The_Monk

This is probably stupid but I have not been following the Vita in a long long time so I have one question:

Was there any confirmation that it is possible to connect my Vita on my TV and play it with my PS3 controller and if not, just play it the Vita itself but on a big screen? I need that Drake on a bigger screen.

Sorry for the dumb question, thanks in advance for answering ;)

dr_rus

God dammit!

Well, I guess I'll have to buy Vita after all.

Now let's hope that they'll enable us to play this on a big screen via PS3 (meaning DS3 connected to Vita via BT and Vita outputting video to PS3 via Wi-Fi; c'mon Sony, make it happen).

Here's a proper comparision BTW:

zI9oU.jpg

2imb2ur.jpg

dr_rus

nib95 said:
And..

vAfZU.jpg

WTF....this is portable?!!
You do understand that this shot is the least impressive of them all because that's just one log, Nathan and a somewhat blurry texture in the background, right?

McLovin

The Vita is gonna be crazy, I mean if the first wave of games looks like that I can't even think about what games will look like 2 years from now on that thing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The lighting in UC1 looks like a little higher quality implementation to my eye - might be the use of some kind of atmospheric scattering? - and hard to say from these shots, but shadowing is probably better there too.

I like the coloring of the Vita shot more though. More an artistic choice than technical merit probably, but I'm sure it'll play to the screen's strengths very well.

But anyway, the overall result is pretty amazing.

Sai

Can't believe this is running on a handheld.

I love Uncharted, I want to play this so much... But the Vita is going to have to wait. :( Too much good stuff coming out over the next few months.

gofreak said:
The lighting in UC1 looks like a little higher quality implementation to my eye - might be the use of some kind of atmospheric scattering? - and hard to say from these shots, but shadowing is probably better there too.

I like the coloring of the Vita shot more though. More an artistic choice than technical merit probably, but I'm sure it'll play to the screen's strengths very well.

But anyway, the overall result is pretty amazing.

Nailed it.

It looks shockingly good... just wish they'd hurry up and annouce the ability to stream vita games to the TV via PS3.

dr_rus said:
You do understand that this shot is the least impressive of them all because that's just one log, Nathan and a somewhat blurry texture in the background, right?

I was thinking the same thing :lol.

There's a bit more to that cliff though.

Takao

Banned
The_Monk said:
This is probably stupid but I have not been following the Vita in a long long time so I have one question:

Was there any confirmation that it is possible to connect my Vita on my TV and play it with my PS3 controller and if not, just play it the Vita itself but on a big screen? I need that Drake on a bigger screen.

Sorry for the dumb question, thanks in advance for answering ;)

Vita doesn't have a TV out port on the production units (though the devkits do). Probably because Sony still wants to sell PS3s in Japan. So don't expect a true union between Vita and TV until PS4.

thuway

Just saw the trailer, I hope they fix the mouth animations :-/. I miss those pre-rendered cutscenes from the Dogs.

Does anyone else think in the next two years we'll see a Vita Phone? Since Vita uses off the shelf parts, could it be that hard to include a future Cortex A9 processor that could function essentially as a Phone but emulate 100% Vita?

Top Bottom