• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
StuBurns said:
God knows, it was a mess. There is another PSV conference, so we can't be completely sure they don't have 'bombs' to drop, but it didn't look great.

You sure are desperate for the megaton to 'save the day' aren't you.

And this port talk is BS, is hot shots a port?, is Wipeout a Port?, Resistance?, Uncharted?, Killzone, LBP?, Little Deviants?, the list goes on, look at the wiki games list, this system has a crap ton of games already announced, people are never happy seriously, it was only a few weeks ago we was having threads questioning whether the vita has had more games for it announced pre-launch than any other system, and no megatons @ tgs and people start throwing their toys out of the pram saying the software line-up is poor :-\

The way I see it just for the internet folk Sony should hold back a few decent titles in future and just announce them at E3 and TGS so everyone gets their megaton fix and congratulates Sony for doing a good job even though it makes no difference to Sony as your getting the same line-up of games anyway it's just they changed their announcement strategy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
JudgeN said:
Is there a source this? What vita cart games require a memory card to save data?
From the PDF in the OP:
<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s
saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself.
Please refer
to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Josh7289 said:
My point was just that they're making silly mistakes that are going to hurt the system in some way. Where the 3DS couldn't support some gameplay styles without an analog stick the Vita isn't going to support downloadable games as well as it could have had it had internal memory or non-proprietary memory cards.

I really don't think the supply of downloadable games will be affected one iota by this. To me it's not the same type of issue as what you compared it with anyway.

Josh7289 said:
And the launch lineup is stronger, but again how many of those games aren't ports but are also big system selling releases?

A different point to your original one :) I've no idea what will or won't sell Vita, least of all in Japan. Just disagreed with your original point of, like 3DS, the best games initially being ports.

edit - just saw your edit, so nevermind I guess :)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SneakyStephan said:
Yeah because savegames are massive, right? (actually they are mostly just 128kb/512kb, as if freeing up a few megs on a card for that would be a big deal or even make a dent in overall storage on the card).
Nothing confirmed, rage but rage based on facts.
Sony can't be that stupid that they only allow 1 savegame per game, why needlessly piss off their users.
If the saves are on the carts themselves, it's not up to Sony. The developer can make the game have multiple save slots or one. It'll be how each developer implements their save system.

The memory card system on the PSP allows unlimited saves regardless of the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Memory card prices are as outrageous as I expected. After seeing that cash Microsoft was making on those overpriced hard drives, Sony wanted some of that pie too.

Hopefully the prices translate well to dollars, I want either 16 or 32GB. My wallet is crying already.

whitehawk

Banned
General Shank-a-snatch said:
(bought pro duo ultra 2 16gb for €99)

I know that feeling, man. ;(
i_hug_that_feel.png

Elios83

Announcements so far have been good to me.
Everyone is on board, making multiple games and announcing them months ahead of launch.
PSP didn't get an announcement of clear support from Square Enix until its second year on the market.
The weak point atm is that Vita is missing an important category, big productions meant and developed for Vita alone.
Most of the support is made of mid-tier original productions, remake/ports and dual PS3/Vita games. Those won't sell the platform, platform defining games will.
Also it's not clear if and what future the Monster Hunter series will have on this platform.
Still they have managed to get a great amount of early support and a decent launch lineup, something which is not really common.

Dambrosi

Banned
Wazzim said:
€237 is good, is the region-free thing really confirmed?
:lol :lol :lol No, it won't be €237 for us. Keep dreamin'.

As for the memory cards, it's the twenty-first century and what is this?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
dark10x said:
Seriously? Is it that black and white for you?

Do you just stick with one system then? I already own a 3DS and will definitely buy a Vita. The fact that another Mario game is hitting 3DS doesn't mean I suddenly have no need for another platform.
Your example is a good one. Sony fans + wealthy and passionate 3DS owners will buy PS Vita.

Rest of the (mass) market? I can't see any reason why they would not go for the much cheaper 3DS & its phenomenal upcoming library (I say phenomenal based on prevoius installments sales), already topping amazon.jp charts.

asdad123

Ive been putting away $40 a month into a little "vita fund" since this was announced in order to be prepared for the launch (I was thinking it would launch at like $400 or something lol.)

By the time it comes out Ill have $500 saved up for it. 32gb card plus a couple games, here i come!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Josh7289 said:
Why is it not misguided? Why would anyone want to check Facebook or their email or browse the web on their Vita rather than from their phone, which is always with them anyway?
obviously the Vita isn't going to replace a phone. But the more social features you pack into a system, the more you start to rely on it instead of your other devices. That's why facebook is on the 360, Twitter support, etc.

Ushojax said:
I'll be waiting a while now. Those memory card prices are absurd just like they were with the original PSP, and the software slate is nothing you can't get on the PS3. I'll stick to my 3DS for the time being.

This is exactly how I feel. I have no intention of getting a Vita until the memory card prices drop to a reasonable amount.

Josh7289

gofreak said:
I really don't think the supply of downloadable games will be affected one iota by this. To me it's not the same type of issue as what you compared it with anyway.

A different point to your original one :) I've no idea what will or won't sell Vita, least of all in Japan. Just disagreed with your original point of, like 3DS, the best games initially being ports.

edit - just saw your edit, so nevermind I guess :)
Yeah, I should have been more clear that I was talking about big system selling releases (which usually correlates with quality). Things people see and are going to buy the system for.

Hey, though, as I said in an edit to my previous post, it might just be personal and I'm just tired of the same old franchises.

On the other hand, I ask you to show me the Wii Sports of the Vita launch lineup, using that as the most recent example of a 'must-have' game at launch. I think the Vita launch has a lot of games that people would enjoy, but not enough differentiation or exclusivity compared to what we have on other systems right now.

Princess Skittles said:
If the saves are on the carts themselves, it's not up to Sony. The developer can make the game have multiple save slots or one. It'll be how each developer implements their save system.

The memory card system on the PSP allows unlimited saves regardless of the game.
And you don't even know yet if you will be able to choose your save location (like say on a pc or an xbox 1).
You also don't know how many save slots we will get if sony are dumb anough to not allow saving on the memory card (as if, the only logical reason for them to reserve space on the game cart is because the system doesn't come with a mem card).

But let's bring out the torches.

Why am I even having to reason here and end up stepping in sony's defence, I don't even like them, the only good thing they ever made since psx is the psp1000.

And again on memory card pricing :eek:n par or slightly more than an SD card = clearly psp1000 release MSPD prices yeah...
Oh wait I paid 99 euros for a 1GB card at psp release that was only good for savegames.

Someone fill me in on why proprietary memory cards can reduce chances of custom firmware? I've seen some people mention it but I don't get why they would. Is there something in these memory cards that would prevent it?

The vita seems like homebrew gold if it were done.

StuBurns said:
Wiki says they'll increase it to 16GB.

Looking at the actual source citated on the Wiki (http://psvitacfw.com/news/ps-vita-nvg-card.htm) it doesn't exactly scream trust worthy.

I've heard nothing about game cards going up to 16GB. It's very likely that they got confused between the game cards and the storage cards.

As far as has been officially stated. PS Vita Game Cards come in sizes of either 2GB or 4GB. No word on whether or not this will expand in the future, though 3DS game cards have been said to go up to 8GB (then again, they don't have the same capacity of writable storage as PS Vita Game Cards do)

Salaadin

I wonder what the odds are that we get a revision with internal storage later on down the road.

Still trying to decide if I want this at launch so Im trying to consider everything. Ultimately, the launch game list matters most. Hopefully we get a solid US one soon enough.

StuBurns

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Looking at the actual source citated on the Wiki (http://psvitacfw.com/news/ps-vita-nvg-card.htm) it doesn't exactly scream trust worthy.

I've heard nothing about game cards going up to 16GB. It's very likely that they got confused between the game cards and the storage cards.

As far as has been officially stated. PS Vita game cards come in sizes of either 2GB or 4GB (No word on whether or not this will expand in the future - though 3DS game cards have been said to go up to 8GB)
lol, look at that site. Jesus, I hate Wikipedia some times.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Someone fill me in on why proprietary memory cards can reduce chances of custom firmware? I've seen some people mention it but I don't get why they would. Is there something in these memory cards that would prevent it?

The vita seems like homebrew gold if it were done.
I don't know much about this stuff, but if the card only works in a Vita, how do you hook it up to anything to put ROMs on?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Salaadin said:
I wonder what the odds are that we get a revision with internal storage later on down the road.
Pretty high, given PSN and all that.

But I wouldn't expect any hardware revisions for about two years.

Puppet Shadow said:
I don't know much about this stuff, but if the card only works in a Vita, how do you hook it up to anything to put ROMs on?
Vita will no doubt connect to a PC via USB.

That's how you can rip UMDs to PC even though there's nothing other than a PSP that can read them.

Spiegel

Puppet Shadow said:
I don't see it not having a way to connect to a computer in some way.

Just imagining the homebrew possibly because of all the Vita's functionalities makes me tingle.

gcubed

Nuclear Muffin said:

As far as has been officially stated. PS Vita Game Cards come in sizes of either 2GB or 4GB. No word on whether or not this will expand in the future, though 3DS game cards have been said to go up to 8GB (then again, they don't have the same capacity of writable storage as PS Vita Game Cards do)

the first time it was revealed they said that they are initially at 2 and 4 and can be increased in the future when demand and need arises.

Princess Skittles said:
Pretty high, given PSN and all that.

But I wouldn't expect any hardware revisions for about two years.

Vita will no doubt connect to a PC via USB.

That's how you can rip UMDs to PC even though there's nothing other than a PSP that can read them.

not sure they are ever going to put internal memory in there, i think it was more a push against piracy then it was a cost saving measure

gcubed said:
the first time it was revealed they said that they are initially at 2 and 4 and can be increased in the future when demand and need arises.

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, but it won't happen in time for MGS HD Collection's release on Vita - meaning that they'll have to ship the games on separate cards (No way could you fit MGS 2 and 3 on one 4GB card - let alone Peace Walker)

That means that they'll probably have to bump the price up as well in order to compensate for the significant increase in manufacturing costs (Or they may even sell them separately!)

gcubed

Nuclear Muffin said:
I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, but it won't happen in time for MGS HD Collection's release on Vita - meaning that they'll have to ship the games on separate cards (No way could you fit MGS 2 and 3 on one 4GB card - let alone Peace Walker)

oh no, i have no doubt that they are stuck on 2/4 for at least the first full year (from the US release even) due to cost concerns.

Is that collection going to be on the 3DS also? It will be the same price as that if it is. Sony ate costs for the dual layer bluray with MGS4 came out (i think i remember that), so who knows

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
gcubed said:
not sure they are ever going to put internal memory in there, i think it was more a push against piracy then it was a cost saving measure
I'm not technical, but I don't think there would be a difference in piracy concerns with internal storage versus memory cards.

Again, with the PSP, the piracy, was pretty rampart with only memory cards.

gcubed

Pazuzu9 said:
Why do people keep saying this?

because there is 0 accessible internal storage and the memory cards are proprietary with security mechanisms built in?

Its conjecture, but seems the most valid reason

gcubed said:
oh no, i have no doubt that they are stuck on 2/4 for at least the first full year (from the US release even) due to cost concerns.

Is that collection going to be on the 3DS also? It will be the same price as that if it is. Sony ate costs for the dual layer bluray with MGS4 came out (i think i remember that), so who knows

3DS gets an "enhanced" port of MGS 3 with new gameplay features. It does not include MGS 2 or Peace Walker.

As for the increased costs with MGS4's dual layer bluray. Those increased costs would've been insignificant in comparison to the increased costs associated with including a second cartridge.

I highly doubt that Konami will get away with giving out 2 game cards for the price of one.

StuBurns

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

That means that they'll probably have to bump the price up as well in order to compensate for the significant increase in manufacturing costs (Or they may even sell them separately!)
As if Transfarring needed an additional reason to be useless to people.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Yeah I'm still waiting for an explanation on this. It's a shame piracy and homebrew kind of go hand in hand, it would be nice not to worry.

i think it's already been said. because if the memory cards aren't going to be available for regular consumer use (ie: in cameras, in card readers, etc.) then there won't be a way to access the files on the memory card from a pc. you then won't be able to load any custom files to your Vita and hack it, and won't be able to rip the firmware to be analyzed, modified, and loaded onto the Vita.

as far as there being a complete absence of a dedicated hard drive, they just wanted to cut costs and consolidate where all user data is going to be stored. i personally think the part about "some games can't save to their own cart" is referring more to DLC than it is actual game saves, but is leaving it open and ambiguous in case a user saves so much that the cart is full and they need secondary.

i think sony will have the same system to the carts standardized just like they do with saving to HDD or memory stick with PSP and PS3. sony owns the carts so it follows that they will dictate formatting and what not.

Zeth said:
Anyone have an idea about how much it would cost to import a Vita in December? (in USD)
Also games? $50-60?

somebody answer this please, i want to know too, thinking about importing.

but i also need to know the date its launching here. hopefully march or i'll wait

Indyana

gcubed said:
because there is 0 accessible internal storage and the memory cards are proprietary with security mechanisms built in?

Its conjecture, but seems the most valid reason
Profit?

Emitan

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i think it's already been said. because if the memory cards aren't going to be available for regular consumer use (ie: in cameras, in card readers, etc.) then there won't be a way to access the files on the memory card from a pc. you then won't be able to load any custom files to your Vita and hack it, and won't be able to rip the firmware to be analyzed, modified, and loaded onto the Vita.

as far as there being a complete absence of a dedicated hard drive, they just wanted to cut costs and consolidate where all user data is going to be stored. i personally think the part about "some games can't save to their own cart" is referring more to DLC than it is actual game saves, but is leaving it open and ambiguous in case a user saves so much that the cart is full and they need secondary.

i think sony will have the same system to the carts standardized just like they do with saving to HDD or memory stick with PSP and PS3. sony owns the carts so it follows that they will dictate formatting and what not.
But they've already confirmed you can access the files from a PC.

BadWolf

Not too fond of the mem card price but at the same time its a one time purchase.

Bought a 4GB stick for my PSP 4 or whatever years ago and that was that, it was all I needed. So yeah, will probably just get an 8GB or 16GB and that will be that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pachterballs said:
is vita region free? Can gofreak update the OP if it is?!?

PS3 is region free. I sure hope it is.

We've had no new info on that at TGS yet. Still the same old 'as far as I know...' comment from a SCEE guy. Maybe Yoshida will answer that more definitively tomorrow.

Top Bottom