• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new(?) Wii classic controller pics

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
maybe old but it's first time i've seen it at multiple angles

wiivcon1ef1.jpg

Azazela

Banned
Looks much more comfortable than expected the buttons seems like cushions.

But I don't know any impressions? There's a reason why modern controllers have handles for grip.

Endgegner

Looks good, I hope the d-pad works well considering that some had problems with the DSlite d-pad. I don't understand why they don't use the snes d-pad more, which was perfect imo.

Also, I don't think that the c-button solution will work in games which use them as normal action buttons, but who cares. Most N64 games are anyways nearly unplayable nowadays.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Knowing Nintendo, it will definitely be comfortable... so, a combination of "sexy and comfortable" isn't too shabby.

Looks comfmastic...are we going to be able to map the buttons to other stuff? That Z button will be weird for some N64 games...and if Sin and Punishment is on the VC I'd rather have both analog sticks to move/aim rather than one analog and the digital pad.

Endgegner said:
Also, I don't think that the c-button solution will work in games which use them as normal action buttons, but who cares. Most N64 games are anyways nearly unplayable nowadays.

The C-buttons were just a primative first step to the second analog stick, why would it be a problem?

temp

posting on contract only
dragon_feces said:
Looks comfmastic...are we going to be able to map the buttons to other stuff? That Z button will be weird for some N64 games...and if Sin and Punishment is on the VC I'd rather have both analog sticks to move/aim rather than one analog and the digital pad.
I'm going to guess that L will work as Z.

reallyfun

Banned
i just hope Nintendo add in a 'button config' mode, like mapping the B to Y and A to B for the NES games...i'm still wondering why they didn't add that function for the DS to play GBA games...doing action/platforming with the B+A buttons is a$$.

Luckett_X

Banned
hated the N64 pad, didn't really like the gamecube pad at all...

...but I really like this one! typical of course then thats its not the default controller that will be seeing the most use :lol

that will be a great dpad for 2D games if it is just an enlarged DSL dpad. cant say im a big fan of how the back bubbles out though.

Endgegner

Hairyiguana said:
The C-buttons were just a primative first step to the second analog stick, why would it be a problem?

Huh? I'm talking about playing N64 games on the Virtua console. You could probably map camera functions to the second analog stick but certainly not action buttons. If I'm informed correctly, the little button next to the R trigger has something to do with the c buttons, but I can't figure out how this would work properly.

GrandPipe

whats the deal with the button on the top? (square button between the L and R buttons) Looks like a release or something.

Endgegner said:
Huh? I'm talking about playing N64 games on the Virtua console. You could probably map camera functions to the second analog stick but certainly not action buttons. If I'm informed correctly, the little button next to the R trigger has something to do with the c buttons, but I can't figure out how this would work properly.

That's the Z button me thinks.

Endgegner

GrandPipe said:
whats the deal with the button on the top? (square button between the L and R buttons) Looks like a release or something.

The thing in the middle? Hm, I think your release guess is good, probably you can attach the wimote to the classic controller and the button you mentioned probably releases the wiimote when you need it for normal use again.

KINGMOKU

These pics are great and all, but does anyone know when we are going to start seeing new game shots/movies, e.t.c.? It's starting to feel like pre-E3 all over again, with the tinest shred of Wii stuff bieng a big deal.

Where the hell are all the Galaxy/Zelda/ExiteTruck shots? I'm sick of red steele pics, I want movies, I want a review of this controller, not more pics of it from every concievable angle.

*end rant*

Nice looking controller though. I still despise the analog placement, as its awkward and unatural, but thats what the Gamecube controller is for. This pad looks to be exclusive for 2-d games.

reallyfun said:

ive been playing my SNES a lot lately and i like the layout and all but, honestly, the dpad kinda sucks now that ive moved on to the awesome goodness of things like the DSL and Saturn d-pads

Rhindle

It doesn't look very comfortable at all IMO, at least for extended play sessions.

There are good reasons why controllers have had handles for wrist support for the past 10 years. I don't get the rationale for suddenly turning back the clock on that.

reallyfun

Banned
meltpotato said:
ive been playing my SNES a lot lately and i like the layout and all but, honestly, the dpad kinda sucks now that ive moved on to the awesome goodness of things like the DSL and Saturn d-pads
yeah i think its wear and tear on the DPad for the SNES though. like when it was NEW, it felt like the tightest of all DPads out there...but like you said, my SNES DPad now feels way too 'loose' as well...

Jiggy

I wish the analog was where the D-pad is, but other than that I can't criticize this at all. I guess backwards compatibility with GC controls will address that anyway.

reallyfun

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I wish the analog was where the D-pad is, but other than that I can't criticize this at all. I guess backwards compatibility with GC controls will address that anyway.
yup, now we have all the options basically! :D

ShinNL

meltpotato said:
Well, I don't know about the SNES dpad but my Hori dpad definitely >>>> all other dpads (including the DSL, which to me didn't stand out as particulary good since my Micro's dpad is better)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Needs another shoulder button under the R button, and the Z button needs to be under the L button. They should be trigger buttons as well. Other then that it's perfect.

jj984jj said:
Needs another shoulder button under the R button, and the Z button needs to be under the L button. They should be trigger buttons as well. Other then that it's perfect.
The official picture of it shows 4 buttons on top. I'm interested to see what the secondary shoulder buttons are like to use.

wii-classic-controller-20060509070254246.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
AndoCalrissian said:
The official picture of it shows 4 buttons on top. I'm interested to see what the secondary shoulder buttons are like to use.

wii-classic-controller-20060509070254246.jpg

Its the Z button if I remember correctly... yeah I think it is can't remember E3 was too long ago :(

EDIT: Z Button was easy enough to press :)

Azazela

Banned
That Z button looks like it's gonna be hard as hell to press, hopefully this comes standard in the SKU and we can play Zelda with this as an alternative controller in the Wii version.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
deamentia said:
nintendo15.jpg

Here you go.
:O

There is 4 shoulder buttons in that controll as well. I hope it works well like that, I'd still rather they put them below the other two and make them triggers.

suaveric

Endgegner said:
The thing in the middle? Hm, I think your release guess is good, probably you can attach the wimote to the classic controller and the button you mentioned probably releases the wiimote when you need it for normal use again.

That's the Z button for Gamecube games

Jiggy37 said:

disagree. for me, i will be using the thing primarily for genny, snes, and tg16.. so im THRILLED the dpad is the primary input.

Top Bottom