• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new(?) Wii classic controller pics

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Looks fun and comfy. I normally would strongly disparage the swapped placements of the d-pad and primary analog stick, but I imagine this is mainly meant to work as a controller for the classic systems.

I bet most of us will be using Cubetrollers for traditionally controlling Wii games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Looks nice. I haven't really seen it before. It plugs into the wiimote? So you put the wiimote in your lap or something?

rafman400

its not classic without sharp and dangerous corners.

NES_controller.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Looks nice. I haven't really seen it before. It plugs into the wiimote? So you put the wiimote in your lap or something?
It's not 100% final, it'll attach to the back of it in the final version.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
What happened to the ergonomics on this thing? Looks like it will be constantly trying its best to slip out of your hand.

Azazela said:
Looks much more comfortable than expected the buttons seems like cushions.

But I don't know any impressions? There's a reason why modern controllers have handles for grip.
Yeah. The original PS1 controller was very SNES-like, but grips were a definite step forward.

Amir0x

Banned
i wish it had some handles, looks like a fatter SNES shape which is less comfortable than controllers with grips imho

I only used it for maybe 15 minutes at E3 but it was very comfortable. Obviously I can't offer impressions as to how it stacks up for hours.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
How many controllers will nintendo actually package with the wii? Because I dont want to buy all the different gimmicky accessories. Why doesn't nintendo get rid of the nunchuk and make the classic+wii controller the standard instead of having 3 different controller schemes. I also know the last image is a mockup but nintendo did say it will have a gamecube controller shell for the wii.

wiicontroller-775352.jpg

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412.jpg

as for the classic controller, I hope the final product will have the glossy look all around instead of just the front faceplate.

Poody said:
Why doesn't nintendo get rid of the nunchuk and make the classic+wii controller the standard instead of having 3 different...

How are you going to hold, and control the classic controller with one hand, when you go tthe wiimote in your other hand?

What the hell is gimmicky about the retro controller?

And how the hell could you use it in tandem with the Wiimote in place of the nunchuk?

WTF?

Poody

nelkon and parker said:
How are you going to hold, and control the classic controller with one hand, when you go tthe wiimote in your other hand?

Juding from the picture, it looks like one of the possible combinations or they wouldn't place the wii-mote with the classic. And besides why would the classic have wires when its wireless.

It's what the Gamecube controller should have been, imho. Dual Shock ripoff, for sure, but as long as you're ripping off something good, everyone benefits. If only they released something like this years ago, Capcom vs. SNK 2 might have been playable. Very nice.

effzee said:
so where is the controller that allows the wiimote to plug into it?

Eh? This classic controller plugs into the back of the wiimote, which I'm guessing in turn sends the control signals to the Wii console. The Wiimote doesn't plug into anything. Wireless action baby.

Polari

Poody said:
as for the classic controller, I hope the final product will have the glossy look all around instead of just the front faceplate.

Might get a bit slippery for the sweaty beasts among us if that were the case.

Poody

That eliminates the gamecube shell, but there is still two more combinations. The classic+remote would be like using the dualshock+wii-mote. So why have a nanchuck even? Unless nintendo packages everything then i'm all for it but i wouldn't want to spend money on "accesories."

Poody said:
That eliminates the gamecube shell, but there is still two more combinations. The classic+remote would be like using the dualshock+wii-mote. So why have a nanchuck even? Unless nintendo packages everything then i'm all for it but i wouldn't want to spend money on "accesories."

Imagine holding a wiimote in one hand, and the classic (or dualshock) in your other hand whilst playing a game. How do you manage this? Even if you do manage to hold it, and use perhaps one of the analogue sticks, how do you manage not to accidentally touch the other buttons, or keep precision, or remain comfortable with the other analogue stick jabbing into your palm?

temp

posting on contract only
Poody said:
There is no classic+remote configuration, dummy. The classic controller plugs into the remote to communicate wirelessly.

effzee

nelkon and parker said:
Eh? This classic controller plugs into the back of the wiimote, which I'm guessing in turn sends the control signals to the Wii console. The Wiimote doesn't plug into anything. Wireless action baby.

how do u know this? i havent seen a single picture of the classical controller plugging into the back of the wiimote.

and poody there is no way that the classical controller plus the wii mote is a combination how the dual shock and wiimote would be. they just displayed it but how in the world are u supposed to use one hand for the classical and one for the wiimote? unless both can be attached as stated by nintendo in the begining.

Poody said:
How would you hold it?

effzee said:
how do u know this? i havent seen a single picture of the classical controller plugging into the back of the wiimote.

and poody there is no way that the classical controller plus the wii mote is a combination how the dual shock and wiimote would be. they just displayed it but how in the world are u supposed to use one hand for the classical and one for the wiimote? unless both can be attached as stated by nintendo in the begining.

There's pictures in this very thread with the classic plugged into the back of the wiimote. The reason is not to use both simultaniously, but to have it such that the classic is used, and communicates to the console via the wiimotes wireless ability. You'd just have the wii more on your lap or some shit.

Poody

Why dont you go hold a dualshock and a tv remote and tell me how it feels. There isn't anything that gets in the way. And how the hell can you touch the other buttons on the right side of the controller unless you have the longest fingers in the world, then yeah, but that shouldn't be an issue for the average hand.

All I'm saying is the classic+remote would be ideal and would eliminate the different variations of the wii-mote.

effzee

nelkon and parker said:
There's pictures in this very thread with the classic plugged into the back of the wiimote. The reason is not to use both simultaniously, but to have it such that the classic is used, and communicates to the console via the wiimotes wireless ability. You'd just have the wii more on your lap or some shit.

ok which picture are u talking about?

and the classical controller seems to be attached by wire. so why would it need to communicate wirelessly?

as i remember originally nintendo said the classical controller would be such that it can also have the wii mote capabilities cause u can plug the wiimote into it.

Poody said:
Why dont you go hold a dualshock and a tv remote and tell me how it feels. There isn't anything that gets in the way. And how the hell can you touch the other buttons on the right side of the controller unless you have the longest fingers in the world, then yeah, but that shouldn't be an issue for the average hand.
It feels very very wrong.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
scola said:
why doesnt the wii mote simply slot into this thing again?

Um.

It seems no one here realizes how this thing is supposed to function. See that button on the top of the classic controller in the middle? See the slots on the back? The wii remote plugs into it with the cord, yes. But then it attaches to the back of the controller, as well. It becomes a single unit, very similar to the IGN mockup. There's no crazy one hand on the remote one hand on the controller nonsense. Come on now.

effzee

Poody said:

lol what are u talking about man? how can u use a dual shock or any current gen controller properly while holding something else in ur other hand? sure u can hold it but u cant USE them both.

Poody said:

Okay, I'm holding a weighty remote in my right, and a dual shock in my left. Even if my left hand grips a single handle, I can use the analogue stick, that's it. And there is a lot of weight on the left of the controller. Do you see the problem here? The left hand is trying to hold up something that is meant to be held by two hands. Exactly the problem that was happening when Metroid Prime Hunters came out for the DS. The nunchuck solves this by putting the analogue stick on a device meant to be held by 1 hand, with the addition of a button (or several).

All I can say is, thank god you don't work for Nintendo.

effzee: Look at the first picture posted by Poody, with all the peripherals in the stands. Look at the wires.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Poody said:
How many controllers will nintendo actually package with the wii? Because I dont want to buy all the different gimmicky accessories. Why doesn't nintendo get rid of the nunchuk and make the classic+wii controller the standard instead of having 3 different controller schemes.
I don't have three hands.

Poody said:
I don't want the controller to constantly slip out of my hands either.

Poody said:
Juding from the picture, it looks like one of the possible combinations or they wouldn't place the wii-mote with the classic. And besides why would the classic have wires when its wireless.

Because it's not wireless. The Wiimote sends the inputs to the Wii, to keep the classic controller cheap.

Poody said:

BECAUSE THE NUNCHUK IS MORE THAN AN ANALOG STICK ON A STRING.

And the nunchuk is free and included with the controller, so waht exactly is the problem? What ****ing accessories? You get a Wiimote+chuk with your Wii, and you get a classic controller if you want to play on the VC. How complicated is this?

temp

posting on contract only
Poody said:
Why are you even arguing this? That's not how it works!

Poody said:
All I'm saying is the classic+remote would be ideal and would eliminate the different variations of the wii-mote.

How many variations?

1. Wiimote and chuk
2. Wiimote
3. Classic controller

The first two are attainable out of the box, and the third is totally optional.

And say goodbye to having independent motion control in each hand with this lame ass idea.

Poody

Weight shouldn't be an issue. Nintendo can add more weight to wii-mote with comprimising comfort. Besides the dualshock is pretty light. You must have puny hands.

jj984jj said:
I don't have three hands.
You don't need 3...

jj984jj said:
I don't want the controller to constantly slip out of my hands either.
I guess you don't own a ds then.

Poody said:
Weight shouldn't be an issue. Nintendo can add more weight to wii-mote with comprimising comfort. Besides the dualshock is pretty light. You must have puny hands.

You don't need 3...

I guess you don't own a ds then.

I own a DS. I still find it uncomfortable to play Hunters for more then 30 mins without having the DS resting on my leg. Your idea was idiotic, and this thread is now dead to me.

Filter

Tathanen said:
Um.

It seems no one here realizes how this thing is supposed to function. See that button on the top of the classic controller in the middle? See the slots on the back? The wii remote plugs into it with the cord, yes. But then it attaches to the back of the controller, as well. It becomes a single unit, very similar to the IGN mockup. There's no crazy one hand on the remote one hand on the controller nonsense. Come on now.

So there are going to be ridges on the back of the wiimote that click into the slots on the back of the classic controller?
sounds like a nice idea, except I don't want any fricken ridges on my wiimote.

Leatherface

Nintendo may not have the horsepower of the other systems, but holy hell is the system and every periphral drop dead sexy. =O

effzee

i see the possible slots on the back of the classical controller but i still dont see a pic of them btoh attached together.

Top Bottom