• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One details: Power consumption, HW changes, price, orientation (4Players.de)

ari

Banned
2 pages deep. Most important question not asked yet.

Will we still have to deal with a giant behemoth of a power brick that looks like a brick of grey shit and gets in the way of every entertainment system known to man?
Doesn't look like a power brick is included.

Edit: confirmed? Any documents?

Vashetti

Banned
Doesn't look like a power brick is included.

Ta-da!

dDGBpTj.png

i for one am very glad that they didnt go with a design that can sit in 2 ways. you cannot optimize airflow and cooling (or anything really) for 2 things and expect both to be equal. big box for silent, efficient cooling that sits one way.

love it, in fact, ive already made the space in my home for it!

as for the power block, i wouldnt use that picture as confirmation of their being one. maybe some versions had one and some didnt? regardless, im pretty sure it was separately confirmed that it does still have one

Bowler

i for one am very glad that they didnt go with a design that can sit in 2 ways. you cannot optimize airflow and cooling (or anything really) for 2 things and expect both to be equal. big box for silent, efficient cooling that sits one way.

love it, in fact, ive already made the space in my home for it!

Da fuq?

Dude, it's not 1995. You certainly can optimize airflow for both. They chose not too.

tokkun

The thing is, I don't see why this feature needs to be 14 Watts. Cell phones can do the same thing at an order of magnitude lower power consumption. It just seems like they didn't fully think this feature through in the hardware design.

Yes, though Motorolla claims that they had to develop a custom hardware solution to be constantly listening for voice commands without incurring much extra power cost.

I think the main point is not that it is unfeasible for Microsoft to do better, but rather that without the strict power constraints of a cell phone, they did not have the motivation to spend extra money on engineering and components. I imagine that most consumers will not know or care about the high standby power, and the small fraction that do can always disable the feature.

So there probably won't be a 180 regarding price.
Will be interesting to see how much of a factor that will be.
Being more expensive sure didn't do the PS3 any favors.

Have you recently used a cellphone? Also, there's no reason for the whole Kinect to run in this mode, just the microphone (which should be negligible in terms of power).
We don't know the power requirements of the sensor, but we do know that it draws power from the console itself. MS also stated that they have just enough power to process audio when the console is in a low power state. So even in its low power state, Xbox One is actively doing something unlike a desktop PC in sleep mode.

netBuff

I don't believe I'm interpreting the law incorrectly. It states: "Power consumption in stand by mode which allows reactivation must be 0.5 Watts or less." I've made an assumption that in the 1/2 watt mode the Xbox One is capapble of listening to "Xbox On" (in place of a power button) and reactivating. As a device that's meant to be always on; in a standy by mode when not active, how else would it be able to be in compliance with EU regulations?

I'm not sure how this would work, perhaps all parts of the console are powered off besides the kinect dsp, and perhaps in this state it can only respond to "xbox on" and no other phrases. Perhaps we won't know the true answer until the console is out and proper power consumption analysis can be done.

The answer is: The Xbone is providing more than simple reactivation ability in standby mode, that's why it's able to use more than half a watt and still is compliant with EU regulations.

The Op clearly states the "Xbox on" mode requires 14 Wh, and this is not new ground: Plenty of other devices use more than 1/2 Watt in standby because they offer additional functionality beyond simple button reactivation (things like Wake-on-LAN for PCs, for example).

ari

Banned
Apparently you attempted to make the Xbox One sound better than it was.

That ain't welcome round these parts stranger.
Yea but I never confirmed anything and I was just asking if it had better pics of the bricks or documents stating it. How is that spreading misinformation? Dude had no need to be a shit head about it.

Apparently you attempted to make the Xbox One sound better than it was.

That ain't welcome round these parts stranger.
Why do people care about a power brick? I thought that was a positive? If the external PSU blows out, I just buy a new one. If it's internal, the manufacturer has to repair it.

MS has really stringent thermal constraints for this box because they expect it to be on at all times like cable/sat boxes and receivers. At my house, my cable box is never shut off.

Dont really have an issues with an power brick.
Not feeling paying premium for kinect i probably will have disabled most of the time.

netBuff

We don't know the power requirements of the sensor, but we do know that it draws power from the console itself. MS also stated that they have just enough power to process audio when the console is in a low power state. So even in its low power state, Xbox One is actively doing something unlike a desktop PC in sleep mode.

Modern, well configured Haswell desktops can actively run at an idle state (Windows is active, but nothing is really requiring much processing power) on quite a bit less than Xbone apparently "sleeps" at: This is not impressive in the least.

This standby mode, is that where the XBox can download game updates and update apps when not being used? 14 watts sounds like what a hard drive(~8W) and something else would need, in which case that would be great. Never waiting to update games/apps or even the OS ever again, all done while you sleep.

JudgeB

Banned
I absolutely want to crawl behind my entertainment center and unplug my xbox every time I finish playing.

OR I could just choose to not buy it. Yeah I think I'll go that route.

Or you could disable the Kinect features that make the "Xbox On" command a thing....or you could go the extreme route and just not buy the thing...no skin off my back, lol.

badb0y

Does Xbox One have a companion ARM chip like the PS4 that can help with the low power states? (Background dowloads, Kinect Sensor etc.)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I personally hate them. With a passion. They're no deal breaker, but mighty fucking annoying for me.

Agreed. Not a deal breaker, but a pain in the ass. Big ones like the 360's are hard to keep out of site without moving my TV stand further away from the wall than it should be in order for it to fit back there.

More interesting than the IGN "AMA" Q & A but still not really that useful

Power consumption is noteworthy but would be nice to know during gaming, during menu usage, during watching tv etc.

nib95

Banned
What the fuck are you accusing me of? What misinformation? GTFO.

Ari, give it up mate.

Anyway power brick is not a big issue. Mine is that they're forcing me to pay for kinect. Give me a properly discounted console minus kinect and I'm there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
- 14 watts is a lot for active standby
- does the 0.5 watt standby allow Xbox to still download updates etc automatically?
- does the 0.5 watt standby allow HDMI passthrough to still work - I.e can I still watch TV?

Sinthor

Gold Member
- 14 watts is a lot for active standby
- does the 0.5 watt standby allow Xbox to still download updates etc automatically?
- does the 0.5 watt standby allow HDMI passthrough to still work - I.e can I still watch TV?

Well, from what's been said so far, that standby power consumption will allow the updating- at least allow it to begin. It's unclear but seems reasonable that that is just the XB1's "waiting for instructions" state. Probably uses more power as it wakes up a bit more fully to actually download and install updates. The HDMI passthrough question is very interesting though. No confirmation on that that I've seen. I'd bet that at .5 watts it will NOT allow the HDMI passthrough but again requires waking to a bit higher power level.

I think people need to understand that MS is NOT going to lower the price from $499 any time soon and certainly not befor launch. Not a chance. MAYBE if they were literally seeing almost no pre-orders. However, we all know that the hard core fans who want an Xbox are going to buy one, so MS has no reason to lower the price that early. They'll sell a good number just to the early adopters. We'll have to see how sales go after that crowd has purchased their hardware. I don't personally see MS reducing prices regardless for about a year though. They'll need to at least reduce the price a bit once Sony does their first price drop for the PS4.

ekim

In other news, it seems the press has got Xbox One's for previews in their offices according to a twitter chat. Can some of the press members here confirm/deny?

jcm

I do, per switch. Every end of the day, don't need them to be ready for 14 hours when I am not at home.

That's admirable, but most people (at least in the US) don't.

The answer is: The Xbone is providing more than simple reactivation ability in standby mode, that's why it's able to use more than half a watt and still is compliant with EU regulations.

The Op clearly states the "Xbox on" mode requires 14 Wh, and this is not new ground: Plenty of other devices use more than 1/2 Watt in standby because they offer additional functionality beyond simple button reactivation (things like Wake-on-LAN for PCs, for example).

Wake on Lan PCs don't need more than a watt or two. The 27" imac draws 1 watt in sleep mode with WOL.

vcc

Why do people care about a power brick? I thought that was a positive? If the external PSU blows out, I just buy a new one. If it's internal, the manufacturer has to repair it.

MS has really stringent thermal constraints for this box because they expect it to be on at all times like cable/sat boxes and receivers. At my house, my cable box is never shut off.

PSU on electronics don't go out that often. I've had plenty of PC PSU's go but so far none on TV's, VCR's, cable boxes, modems, routers or Consoles. For a lot of people the tangle of wires behind their TV's is a aesthetic and practical concern. You need to put the brick somewhere and not everyone has a lot of open space. It was a common complaint of the 360 as well since it power brick was huge.

Barzul

I had my 360 power brick blow out, so I'm glad it's this way as I can just get a replacement off eBay or at Gamestop.

Top Bottom