• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One details: Power consumption, HW changes, price, orientation (4Players.de)

Montresor

I guess I'm lucky that utilities are included in my rent, :lol. I don't pay for water, A/C, heating, or electricity, just a (pretty high) rent every month. It's an eye-opener seeing people actually worry about energy usage this miniscule.

Why couldn't you finish reading the whole post?

A: When it’s ready to respond to “Xbox On” it uses about 14 watts, which is about five US cents (or about four Euro cents) per day. In its lowest power state, Xbox One uses only a ½-watt, which is less than about a half a U.S. cent or one-third of a Euro cent per day.

What would the lowest power state behave like functionally? It wouldn't listen to Xbox On? How would you turn it on?

Montresor

Mind to explain what you're hinting at?

How do you turn on the Xbox 360 or PS3?

Cool. Let me rephrase my question and omit the part that allowed you to so cleverly make that retort.

What would the lowest power state behave like functionally? Serious question, because each of these power states should offer some sort of advantage. The "Listen for Xbox One" state's advantages are obvious, but they didn't specifically cite the advantages of the lowest power state . I'm wondering if the lowest power state they mentioned simply turns off the Kinect and allows a one-second boot up of the console when you push the power button.

tfur

So is the high powered NSA mode opt in, or default? I would not be surprised if someone in the EU make a stink to force privacy mode first, then opt in to 14w mode,

Striek

I noticed he deftly avoided directly answering the question of ruling out a change in the systems price.

Edit: And yeah, 14 watts seems pretty excessive. Thats $35 a year here at current prices.

p3tran

Banned
Wait, does this read to anyone else as tacit confirmation that the Xbone can be out into a state where the Kinect isn't listening for 'Xbox on'?

thats not news though. it will be news when I can set my xbox to this no-kinect-listen mode,
AND physically remove the god-damn thing from the console.
right now they say "you can disable it completely from the settings" but it still must be connected to the console.

Krilekk

Banned
14 Watt just for Kinect listening to exactly one command? LOL, what a waste of energy. Makes me kinda sick to calculate the amount of energy that will be wasted just by the console in standby mode. 14 Watt x 24 x 365 x 5.000.000 (installed base after a year, numbers out of my ass) = crazy energy consumption for absolutely nothing.

gruenel

What would the lowest power state behave like functionally? Serious question, because each of these power states should offer some sort of advantage. The "Listen for Xbox One" state's advantages are obvious, but they didn't specifically cite the advantages of the lowest power state . I'm wondering if the lowest power state they mentioned simply turns off the Kinect and allows a one-second boot up of the console when you push the power button.

I think it works like you described (Kinect powered off, instant resume still works), but we don't have details on that yet.

Edit: I seriously didn't get what you were asking after your first post, sorry about that.

I still don't understand they're so confident in the pricing. Releasing at a full hundred dollars above the competition instantly turns off lots of consumers who aren't aligned one way or another.

They must be very confident in their services and software lineup.

Copenap

What is this super low power state? If in this state the Box is not answering to "Xbox On" then why is it consuming power at all? I understand the concept of a stand by mode but what is the one below that?

Bowler

14 watts in "Xbox on" standby mode? That's much higher than I expected. I would have thought that they'd optimize that more.

I was just thinking the same thing... That's quite a bit for the kinect to be in standby mode. I know the feature can be turned off, but why even bring up the second stand by mode, when your either going to want or not want the feature.

Edit I'm sure it has to do with background downloading etc, so either you have or don't have background features including TV and what not. 14 watts for features, 1 watt without

gruenel

14 Watt just for Kinect listening to exactly one command? LOL, what a waste of energy. Makes me kinda sick to calculate the amount of energy that will be wasted just by the console in standby mode. 14 Watt x 24 x 365 x 5.000.000 (installed base after a year, numbers out of my ass) = crazy energy consumption for absolutely nothing.

Now do the math for 80 million lifetime consoles, it's basically a nuclear power plant running for this feature alone. I hope it's opt-in, from my experience, most people won't deactivate it because they don't know about it or don't care.

dose

Jaguar Clocks in XBone and PS4 are locked by software/firmware.
PSP CPU was locked to 222MHz at first, thanks to the scene you can use the full 333Mhz potential.
God of War was the first game that used the 333Mhz.
That's only because the PSP's CPU speed was locked at the slower speed to begin with, they didn't make it go any faster, they just unlocked the limit and let developers use its full power.

Vashetti

Banned
What is this super low power state? If in this state the Box is not answering to "Xbox On" then why is it consuming power at all? I understand the concept of a stand by mode but what is the one below that?

If it's anything like the PS4, it's downloading updates and w/e in the background.

My guess would be in the 1/2 watt power state, it's in stand-by: listening for voice commands, periodically checking for updates (d/l updates would require the 14watt power state?). Once it's heard the phrase "Xbox-on" it would power up to 14watts and respond to that command; like a lower power ready state.

For the majority of the time that the Xbox One is in standby, it will likely be in the 1/2 watt power state, as this device is designed to be left always on. There are European regulations regarding standby power consumption:
Power consumption in stand by mode which allows reactivation must be 0.5 Watts or less
A 14 watt stand by power consumption would be unnacceptable there.

jcm

14 watts is way too much. Most companies have made a real effort to reduce standby power usage. I thought the wii's 9 watt standby was irresponsible, but Nintendo did a much better job with the wii u, less than a quarter watt. The energy star requirements for game consoles specify less than half a watt.

Describing it in a cost per hour per user is totally disingenuous. The problem isn't how much it will cost me on my bill, it's the aggregate power demand across the install base. Hopefully they will fix this.

14 watts is way too much. Most companies have made a real effort to reduce standby power usage. I thought the wii's 9 watt standby was irresponsible, but Nintendo did a much better job with the wii u, less than a quarter watt. The energy star requirements for game consoles specify less than half a watt.

Describing it in a cost per hour per user is totally disingenuous. The problem isn't how much it will cost me on my bill, it's the aggregate power demand across the install base. Hopefully they will fix this.

I have to think they got something wrong. The answer describes two separate low power modes.

Dipswitch

I'm confused by the two power levels. If the 14 watt power state is what's required for the 'Xbox On' stuff to work, is the 1/2 watt state what we typically refer to as 'Stand-by' for most electronics? i.e. The juice required for the IR sensor to process the IR commands to "switch on".

I personally think 14 watts is way too high for the console to be burning hour by hour in a low power state. I'm assuming that means there's no ARM components in use? (I may be way late to the train on that point)

netBuff

My guess would be in the 1/2 watt power state, it's in stand-by: listening for voice commands, periodically checking for updates (d/l updates would require the 14watt power state?). Once it's heard the phrase "Xbox-on" it would power up to 14watts and respond to that command; like a lower power ready state.

For the majority of the time that the Xbox One is in standby, it will likely be in the 1/2 watt power state, as this device is designed to be left always on. There are European regulations regarding standby power consumption:

A 14 watt stand by power consumption would be unnacceptable there.

You are interpreting the law incorrectly: The 1/2 Watt requirement is for modes where nothing but the ability to turn the system on by the touch of a button is provided. There is absolutely no way the system will provide any kind of voice command or network functionality on that power budget.

So in Germany, is there some law preventing you from pulling a plug out of a power socket?

What does that have to do with anything?

Durante

The thing is, I don't see why this feature needs to be 14 Watts. Cell phones can do the same thing at an order of magnitude lower power consumption. It just seems like they didn't fully think this feature through in the hardware design.

So in Germany, is there some law preventing you from pulling a plug out of a power socket?

I absolutely want to crawl behind my entertainment center and unplug my xbox every time I finish playing.

OR I could just choose to not buy it. Yeah I think I'll go that route.

derFeef

Way to miss the point. People generally do not unplug their electronics. That's why this matters.

I hope you're right.
I do, per switch. Every end of the day, don't need them to be ready for 14 hours when I am not at home.

Luigiv

That's only because the PSP's CPU speed was locked at the slower speed to begin with, they didn't make it go any faster, they just unlocked the limit and let developers use its full power.

Yeah the PSP's specs were always listed as 222-333MHz, right from the beginning.

That's €35 per year here in Germany, just for listening to "Xbox on". No thanks.

If u can't afford 35 euro per year running costs I don't think the console is for you. A few cents per day really isn't worth complaining about. My pc is on 24/7 along with a lot of other appliances in my house. Its not a huge worry.

Durante

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

That's basically the NIC and the Kinect mic and enough CPU resources to process "Xbox On".
Have you recently used a cellphone? Also, there's no reason for the whole Kinect to run in this mode, just the microphone (which should be negligible in terms of power).

Pretty much the same here in Holland.

€35,- for a single hardware unit is way too much for the average consumer. I am fine with my energy bill of around €170,- and I seriously do not want to spend over €200,-
your electricity bill is 170 euro per year?

You are interpreting the law incorrectly: The 1/2 Watt requirement is for modes where nothing but the ability to turn the system on by the touch of a button is provided. There is absolutely no way the system will provide any kind of voice command or network functionality on that power budget.

I don't believe I'm interpreting the law incorrectly. It states: "Power consumption in stand by mode which allows reactivation must be 0.5 Watts or less." I've made an assumption that in the 1/2 watt mode the Xbox One is capapble of listening to "Xbox On" (in place of a power button) and reactivating. As a device that's meant to be always on; in a standy by mode when not active, how else would it be able to be in compliance with EU regulations?

I'm not sure how this would work, perhaps all parts of the console are powered off besides the kinect dsp, and perhaps in this state it can only respond to "xbox on" and no other phrases. Perhaps we won't know the true answer until the console is out and proper power consumption analysis can be done.

Bedlam

Way to miss the point. People generally do not unplug their electronics. That's why this matters.

The Xbone really should come bundled with one of these things:

umSvmXU.jpg

Looks like it'll be an essential accessory for Xbone owners. Make it happen, retailers!

I and basically everyone I know already use them. Stand-by modes are fucking stupid and a waste of power, no matter what electronic device.

gruenel

If u can't afford 35 euro per year running costs I don't think the console is for you. A few cents per day really isn't worth complaining about. My pc is on 24/7 along with a lot of other appliances in my house. Its not a huge worry.

Jesus. I could afford a hundred of those consoles running 24/7. That doesn't mean it's not a waste, so I'll just deactivate voice activation and save at least €30/year. If you think saying "Xbox on" is worth €30 a year then more power to you.

Copenap

If it's anything like the PS4, it's downloading updates and w/e in the background.
But I would assume that's the stand by mode where the box is also ready for "Xbox On" commands. The paragraph makes it sound as if there is another power state where the xbox is not listening. Did they ever mention whether the voice command can be disabled? If so, that may explain the 'alternative' stand by power consumption.

Jesus. I could afford a hundred of those consoles running 24/7. That doesn't mean it's not a waste, so I'll just deactivate voice activation and save at least $30/year. If you think saying "Xbox on" is worth $35 a year then more power to you.

well if you could afford a hundred $500 consoles at $50,000, then a drop in the ocean of $35 shouldn't really even register. $3 a month is nothing. But you won't buy the console because you will have to pay that?

gruenel

well if you could afford a hundred $500 consoles at $50,000, then a drop in the ocean of $35 shouldn't really even register. $3 a month is nothing. But you won't buy the console because you will have to pay that?

I honestly have no idea why you think I won't buy the console because of this. Like I said a hundred times now already, I'll just turn off the feature.

Gurrry

2 pages deep. Most important question not asked yet.

Will we still have to deal with a giant behemoth of a power brick that looks like a brick of grey shit and gets in the way of every entertainment system known to man?

badb0y

Pretty much what I expected.
no but with the wording "software changes to the OS" I thought they were referring to it as if it affects only the OS (or one of the three OS's), and wouldn't/couldn't affect games.

That's not what it's saying at all. All he is saying is that the hardware is locked but the software can change indefinitely. Clock speed is controlled by software so they can make changes to that without doing anything to the hardware level. A change in clockspeed results in performance gain throughout anything the graphics card does not just in the OS.

Bowler

2 pages deep. Most important question not asked yet.

Will we still have to deal with a giant behemoth of a power brick that looks like a brick of grey shit and gets in the way of every entertainment system known to man?

Already confirmed as yep

Top Bottom