• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.
An actual inside source with proof? Rather than the " someone told me that Xbox live and snap feature causing crashes"

So famousmortimer, and thuway having been verified with the mods means nothing?

Matt in all his glory means nothing?

Proelite means nothing?

Robert Florence means nothing?

The general apprehension by all of MS to discuss or show the UI means nothing?

Of course they could, people are just defending Penello rather silly comment. If random YouTubers making knock off AVGN videos can do it, so can one of worlds wealthiest companies.

It is NOT always that simple. Blurring content is NOT always technically legal.

Tsundere

Banned
Makes you wonder how customizable the thing even is if the developers themselves can't even choose what tiles to put on the Dashboard.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ass+saurus+in+Jurassic+park_6494b6_3846645.gif

All Credit to Lovely Salsa for this gem.
GAF never fails to outdo its GIFs.

Now changed the faces to MS execs.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't understand... Sony launches sooner and there's no UI vid to speak of. And no, "Dude, I don't have that, man." doesn't count.

Even if MS put something together now, using already licensed assets, its too late. The GAF hate machine it so spun up they no one here would believe anything they say anyway. "Star Trek again! This shit is so fake!"

This. Why would they even bother; people will call it fake and they wasted time getting this sorted. Even if they were to show it off on a stage with a live audience, it would still be called fake.

It's a conspiracy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
XB1'S eSRAM is used differently that WiiU's eDRAM
For example, WiiU's eDRAM is one block of 32MB sitting in the GPU but accessible by the CPU.

eSRAM is broken down into 4 blocks of 8MB. And I believe the CPU doesn't really have access to it.
As in, you can't allocate a buffer larger than 8MB on it, even if you can have four such buffers? I really doubt that's the case. Where did you hear that from? Also, I'm pretty sure there's a pretty solid channel of communication between CPU and ESRAM on XB1.

GameSeeker

Most of the posts on here regarding the tweet completely proves that virtually NOBODY in this thread works in a company as large as Microsoft.

Microsoft has contracts that they are RESPONSIBLE by LAW to uphold 100%. Maybe one of their agreements with their advert companies is NOT to blur their content out for demos, it would not be the first time that has happened.

Not to mention licensing involves both companies legal departments and contracts. Its not as simple as flipping a fucking switch like most of you would want to believe. Its absolutely pathetic the level this console fanboy war has gotten to

That's an over generalization. NeoGAF has a diverse membership base. Some of us have worked at companies as big or bigger than Microsoft and we know how demos and advertising work and the legal requirements around them.

The real question that the are looking at:

"Is it worth our time doing all of this to feed a never ending request for more information or is it better to spend the time making sure it works?"

I think the latter makes more sense. To do the offline video you lose most of what they were showing because you are disconnected from Live.

Yeah, if you are reasonably certain it's going to be fine at launch, why make excuses? You don't apologise for something that may never happen.

Guerilla

Did someone say 3?

T0sS8cg.png

I knew it would come to this even when the Xbox dream team was active. Microsoft loves to micromanage and the suits are too meddling to let that team survive, that's how they've ruined many of their departments or companies they bought. Instead now they have talentless hacks like Elop who doesn't know shit about gaming.

Into

It is NOT always that simple. Blurring content is NOT always technically legal.

Microsoft is already partnered with these companies for promotion, and they cannot blur them out?

They cannot edit them out completely? Microsoft? The company that has designed operating systems for several decades now?

Who are you kidding here?

They had all the logos during E3 and other conferences? How come?

Tookay

So famousmortimer, and thuway having been verified with the mods means nothing?

Matt in all his glory means nothing?

Proelite means nothing?

Robert Florence means nothing?

The general apprehension by all of MS to discuss or show the UI means nothing?

You're expecting him to actually READ UP on things and get informed on what he's talking about, Swift. Come on, now.

hawk2025

I'm sure they did too, a long time ago. I don't think they were expecting to produce a live demo of the dash and release it in the same way they did the "fake" one.

So, again, they can't just flip a switch and throw that out for us. Not that i'm trying to play devil's advocate, but I can't really take his statement as straight dodging the issue.

The dashboard has to constantly refresh and adapt to new content, new ads, new movies and new Music.

Sony showed us their activity feed with dozens of fake games and content exactly because of that -- some guy came up with quick placeholder art, and it was ready to go. Since the X1 dashboard also pushes graphics to the tiles as needed, I imagine it would be just as easy to produce a few placeholders. The only leftover issue is the instant switching to licensed movie content like Pacific Rim -- simply show it switching to the Halo trailer or the Quantum Break TV content. There.

I understand it's not as simple as flipping a switch and showing it to us, but Albert promised this right here on GAF a LONG time ago.

PBY

Banned
The fuck is this none sense?

He does have a point. MS fucked up by not having this already shown/ready. But Pennello can't just unilaterally film a walkthrough and throw it up on youtube in like 15 minutes per GAF's request.

Still, MS should have been past this.

Pretty sad MS has allowed PSN to get ahead of Live (assuming this is true) given the PS3 never quite reached parity with the 360's online feature set. Then again, with the rumors of complete redesigning how live works with games and them running 3 OS's on the thing I'm not completely surprised how mucked up it's gotten.

Competition is good right? So why is it sad? What we're witnessing is competition at it's best. Now MS has to get it's shit together which I'm sure they will

Begaria

Could have been easily spun. The fact is nobody has used , in any depth, either UI, simply because they aren't ready yet for either system.

Easily spun...how? It was all done live, *and* the tweet Shuhei Yoshida made on the PS4 with that screenshot displayed on Twitter at the time he made it:

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/369869841202946048

Sure, it was probably done on a PS4 developer kit, but that does not change the fact that what we saw is what we get. All done live. No muss, no fuss!

As in, you can't allocate a buffer larger than 8MB on it, even if you can have four such buffers? I really doubt that's the case. Where did you hear that from? Also, I'm pretty sure there's a pretty solid channel of communication between CPU and ESRAM on XB1.

MS themselves have disregarded CPU-ESRAM connection, and said straight up it was slow. This was on the DF interview. Don't know what the divided by blocks means.

CookTrain

You mean this lovely piece of display?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM

Seems people learned little from the Kinect Star Wars nonsense.

You see a person, you see a screen, doesn't mean you see a person controlling the screen.

For the thread itself, all the insider leaks in the world pale in comparison to the merry jig MS themselves are doing. Those tweets might as well be Exhibit A in the trial of Who Killed The Xbox One.

fiyah

I agree with anyone who says the Xbox One is a product that seems to lack any true vision as to what it is. It reminds me a lot of 2006 PS3. "It Only Does Everything" but why do it need it? I wouldn't blame Mattrick I'd actually place blame on Balmer and the fact that he has fucked up every single consumer electronic product under his watch. Starting with the Kin One and continuing with the Surface RT. Why does Windows RT exist when you have Windows Phone? Why not just make WP8 work for tablets or just use Window 8? Why introduce another OS that no one asked for?

This is the same kind of thinking that I assumed was brought to the Xbox Team. "OK, so you guys have all this awesome stuff that works and that's great but what if you put Skype and Office on there? Think about how awesome would it be to be playing Halo and then boom...your classmate calls you and Skype and says...I need help with this formula on Excel. Let me upload it to SkyDrive and share the doc with you across XBL."

I mean doesn't that sound awesome guys? :)

chadskin

In the past they've denied rumors when they really weren't true (i.e. downclock) while dodging questions about other rumors (i.e. DRM removal, no mandatory Kinect etc.).

That they're not coming right out of the gate to deny this particular rumor about the buggy Xbox OS is as much confirmation as we can get out of MS at the moment, in my opinion.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
He does have a point. MS fucked up by not having this already shown/ready. But Pennello can't just unilaterally film a walkthrough and throw it up on youtube in like 15 minutes per GAF's request.

Still, MS should have been past this.

It has been weeks since he first mentioned a walkthrough.

And I was really just calling out his none sense on GAF not working for big companies, that is bullshit.

Riki

Overdelivering on value.

Get your shit together, Microsoft.
They won't. They don't want to.
They don't have any focus or drive anymore. They are playing catch up on everything. Trying (and failing) to copy every success while creating none of their own.
Microsoft is a shell company right now. Run by people that are after a quick buck rather than sustainable profit and the Xbox One is the culmination of that.

Donnie

Super low latency and super high bandwidth, all 32 megs of it.

You know, this comes up so often no matter how many times people explain the point of embedded memory and no matter how many systems use it..

Not everything that uses large amounts of bandwidth requires large amounts of space. How much space does a 1080p frame buffer require? Then think of how much bandwidth it can uses up? The space used up is orders of magnitude smaller than the bandwidth it can require given complex rendering techniques.

PBY

Banned
It has been weeks since he first mentioned a walkthrough.

And I was really just calling out his none sense on GAF not working for big companies, that is bullshit.

Agreed on all counts. All I was saying is that the ship has sailed. Pennello can't just upload a vid in like 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom