• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

sestrugen

Not sure if this was posted yet, despite being a day old, I found nothing in a search. Just more on the next-gen OSes and Smartglass being a wreck.

jbaxYIJ9lv2iKr.png

yes, it has been posted

RaikuHebi

Banned
You say this, but if PS4's OS gets any changes or fixes of something that doesn't work quite as they intended then it's in no way different than getting an Xbox one on launch and a certain feature not working as intended and fixed later. By how you want to define beta testing a console(you're not and it's a silly thing to say), you're doing the same thing with the ps4 preorder you chose to hold on to.
Except price.

The Flash

Banned
That's what I figured. :/

For the sake of all of the designers/techs working their asses off to get this thing ready for 11/22, I hope they succeed. Jobs will likely be lost if they don't, sadly.

They better not. Not only would that suck, it would absolutely be the douchiest thing to do to your employees ever.

Tookay

We are three weeks from launch. Microsoft has a plethora of software engineers at their disposals. I have little doubt that these issues will be resolved by launch otherwise you have a half-baked product that cannot do its function; play games.

I don't understand the ellipses. Some leakers are saying several aspects of the OS don't work. That doesn't equate to people saying the entire OS not working.

As for your second point, haven't MS made it clear to you by now that the XBO's function has never been about just "playing games"? It's all this extra stuff (snapping) that's making the OS a burden.

And, with regards to your assumption that their software engineers can ride to the rescue in 3-4 weeks, let's not forget the debacles of some of MS' own Windows OS launches. Their plethora didn't save them with Vista.

i-Lo

If the ESRAM was such an obstacle, how can Crytek deliver such a beautiful game like Ryse at a resolution that is mere 180p short of 1080?

ohNOitsRO

You say this, but if PS4's OS gets any changes or fixes of something that doesn't work quite as they intended then it's in no way different than getting an Xbox one on launch and a certain feature not working as intended and fixed later. By how you want to define beta testing a console(you're not and it's a silly thing to say), you're doing the same thing with the ps4 preorder you chose to hold on to.

but dat $100

Vitacat

Say what you want about XBone, but at least it's $100 cheaper than PS4.

Oh wait.

Seems that it is right now, but the day 1 update should fix most problems. Verendus says there aren't any real problems aside from the ones you can expect on a launch system.

Yep, and I read you can play games while the day one update is incoming. The update is a GOOD THING. It means crap gets fixed day one; I don't see a problem with that.

cilonen

What? Is this for real? 360 but no One?

I took this weeks ago when the promo stands for AC4 appeared in (UK) stores and never posted it as I couldn't be sure of any significance. I still don't think there is any, but your post reminded me of this... note the missing logo, heh.

photo_zps88881757.jpg

If the ESRAM was such an obstacle, how can Crytek deliver such a beautiful game like Ryse at a resolution that is mere 180p short of 1080?

Actually they said they have to very specifically sort their buffers in it and in DDR3. Also that it categorically disallows MSAA. No easy task for any dev.

Modern game engine design makes ESRAM EXTREMELY hard to sort and use properly @ higher resolutions.

Tsundere

Banned
I took this weeks ago when the promo stands for AC4 appeared in (UK) stores and never posted it as I couldn't be sure of any significance. I still don't think there is any, but your post reminded me of this... note the missing logo, heh.

photo_zps88881757.jpg
Good eye on that one.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I think it's important here to understand that these things come in different degrees of severity.

Thus far, we've not heard of anything on PS4 that sounds remotely as bad as what we've heard for the Xbone. Time will tell of course, but tu quoque doesn't work when it's a heavy rumor versus a hypothetical situation.

nynt9

900p is 1440000 pixels
1080p is 2073600 pixels

That's about 44% more pixels. "180p short" is underselling the difference.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

photo_zps88881757.jpg

Wait.
Wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

There's the Wii U logo, but...BUT...there's no Xbox One logo?
What. Whhhhhat.

Not sure if this was posted yet, despite being a day old, I found nothing in a search. Just more on the next-gen OSes and Smartglass being a wreck.

jbaxYIJ9lv2iKr.png
Welp.

I consider myself to have low expectations for launch, and that involves playing some Killzone single player, queuing up Warframe for download overnight, and keeping whatever trophies and save games I collect from playing.

If the system can manage that for the first week I think things will be ok ;p

After a week I'd hope both console's OSes have stabilized and its only the online stuff that may or may not bug out on us. After two weeks I'd expect things to just work, otherwise, ouch.

did it crash? I remember it being super glitchy and constantly paused
Yeah, I guess it hung rather than full on crashing. Still, embarrassing.

Looks like it's gonna be another one of those nights.

iBiEp1YVwKz7g.gif

Where the hell can I buy that?

photo_zps88881757.jpg

There is literally no Xbox One logo on that. Oh my god, if its delayed.. :lol

They better not. Not only would that suck, it would absolutely be the douchiest thing to do to your employees ever.

That's how corporations work. The assholes that make the decisions get promoted or get an exec position at another company and continue to earn millions. The employees they've fucked over get fired.

RaikuHebi

Banned

photo_zps88881757.jpg
That is really weird. If there was no 360 logo you could chalk it down to marketing deal. But this is something else.

Akai__

Sigh...

It's probably a good idea, to put an embargo on everything. That way, people will surely believe everything is alright. Companies should be a little more transparent. Too many secrets these days.

XB1'S eSRAM is used differently that WiiU's eDRAM
For example, WiiU's eDRAM is one block of 32MB sitting in the GPU but accessible by the CPU.

eSRAM is broken down into 4 blocks of 8MB. And I believe the CPU doesn't really have access to it.

Nintendo using the eSRAM/eDRAM better then Microsoft?

PSN > Xbox Live ?

Sony's API's further along then Microsoft's?

Xbox One's kinect features, main reason for high price, is unfinished and crashing systems?

...... what world am I living in?

jbaxYIJ9lv2iKr.png

Might be worth posting these from Verendus

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87791050#post87791050

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87806137#post87806137

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87806281#post87806281

More talk of the PS4 OS problems in the PS4 news section in the summary

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946#post87786946

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom