• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past they've denied rumors when they really weren't true (i.e. downclock) while dodging questions about other rumors (i.e. DRM removal, no mandatory Kinect etc.).

That they're not coming right out of the gate to deny this particular rumor about the buggy Xbox OS is as much confirmation as we can get out of MS at the moment, in my opinion.

Yup. Best way to know if rumor is true or not

demolitio

You guys have got to be patient. Lots going on.

I think the problem is that people are running out of time to make a decision so some people that have X1's preordered are on edge waiting to hear if there actually is a large problem going on. I would hate to have to wait until launch to find out there's a big problem.

But really, some of us are patient and if anything, all of this provides entertainment outside of just playing the games themselves. It's just that there's not much time left so if there is a big problem and journalists know, then people want them to spill the beans already so they don't potentially waste their money for the people that are interested in both consoles but can only pick up one at launch.

The other thing is that things can drastically improve in this last month for MS of course so it's really just a shitload of questions going around at the moment.

Is this real life? Are you seriously claiming a company cannot edit out a ad out? Not blur it, but edit it completely, in order to showcase their product and not infringe on anything? Do you know what you are saying here?

Because reality shows do that all the time, every company in the world shows only their product, regardless where it is. You are saying this isent allowed?

You are absolutely 100% wrong,

If their contracts with the advert companies prevent it then yes it absolutely does make it so they cannot edit it. Do you know their contract with their partner companies? Do you work in microsofts or their partners legal departments? im guessing no since you arent an insider which means you have no clue what their contract terms are which means you absolutely cannot draw a black and white conclusion

Two thoughts:

1) I really, really feel sorry for the ground team working on this project. I know how heartbreaking it can be to turn up every day and work on a project where you don't share the vision. (Or if you do, that it's not going as planned.)

2) I think Nintendo have a chance to come out a winner in all of this nonsense. They'll never win the dudebro over, but there's a chance for them to do a lot better if the Xbox One isn't even considered a sensible option.

Post-Chrimbo should be interesting.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

If MS's launch is the shitshow these rumours make it out to be will you actually press them on it? I remember after E3 you guys were pretty down on Xbone but it evaporated pretty quickly.

It would be nice if the press actually held these guys to account for this stuff sometimes.

Foxix Von

I'm really looking forward to whatever piece your working on, definitely looking forward to it, thank you.

Please do understand though, that from our perspective these rumors of performance and OS issues have been flinging around for a while now and it kind of feels like the bulk of the industry is kind of just resting on its laurels in regards to reporting on this stuff. Really, really glad to hear that you're working on it :D

astraycat

Funny how this forum is so fast to jump on the bottleneck train. Everybody could SWEAR that the GPU was the bottleneck in the XBox One. Now one person suggest its the ESRam and your going to jump on that too? Sounds to me like nobody really knows where the bottleneck of this unreleased system is...whoda thunk it?

The lack of CUs is an indisputable bottleneck. ESRAM, however, has always been more iffy. I've always maintained the supposition that it would be difficult to work with.

LCfiner

Funny how this forum is so fast to jump on the bottleneck train. Everybody could SWEAR that the GPU was the bottleneck in the XBox One. Now one person suggest its the ESRam and your going to jump on that too? Sounds to me like nobody really knows where the bottleneck of this unreleased system is...whoda thunk it?

Guess what? It’s both! underpowered GPU and slow system RAM with a small cache.

No reason to choose. you can have it all

kurahadol

If their contracts with the advert companies prevent it then yes it absolutely does make it so they cannot edit it. Do you know their contract with their partner companies? Do you work in microsofts or their partners legal departments? im guessing no since you arent an insider which means you have no clue what their contract terms are which means you absolutely cannot draw a black and white conclusion

Major Nelson is that you?

So not wanting to believe rumors with no real proof is giving junior members a bad rap?

ETOKzXz.gif

Do this experiment:

1) Post a "rumor" of your own "with no real proof," claiming it is information a developer gave you.

2) Wait for Bish to PM you.

3) Try to bullshit Bish (you will inevitably fail)

4) See what happens to your GAF membership.

Now, note the following guys that have posted these current rumors have all gone through this process, multiple times before leaking info.

Do you understand?

Guerilla

I'm not in denial... I'm patiently waiting. Both consoles preordered... cannot wait.

Patiently waiting is not a consistent description of your previous post. You were actively trying to make these guys look useless when in fact they've contributed plenty to the community. And considering that they all agree on this rumor your attempt to put them down seems kind of bitter.

Kinyou

They might be trying to reach out to their sources at the moment. At least, that's what a journalist should do first instead of copy+pasting rumors from the webs the minute they pop up.
Yeah, better to do a little research instead of screaming "FIRST" and having to redact a story later on.

The lack of CUs is an indisputable bottleneck. ESRAM, however, has always been more iffy. I've always maintained the supposition that it would be difficult to work with.

bottleneck=/=hard to work with.

In fact in overall performance a system can only have one bottleneck. Some people says its the bandwidth, others say its CU's, now the ESRAM. Performance always has one critical bottleneck, and the fact that it is said to be at least 3 things tells me that the true bottleneck probably isnt known

todd360

Well GAF has been rite about almost all rumors in the last few weeks and the ones that have been faux we're quickly shot down. Shit GAF knew about Driveclub delay even before the director of said game.

Yea it just made me laugh so I thought I would share it. I always love to seem other forums opinions on neogaf.

I don't work in the game industry, but as someone who has worked for a marketing firm I think that any company that refuses to let their logo or product be shown for a press demo is fucking idiotic. In some cases you have to pay for that kind of thing, others will get paid for letting MS use their logo. Either way it spreads awareness, which is the whole point of advertising.

is it even possible for MS to walk back the 11/22 release at this point or are they in a deep hole?

I mean- I keep thinking in the long run a delay would be the best possible thing for this platform's future (if these rumors persist), but it depends on the delay.
Maybe delay and launch in connection to TITANFALL?
Sony would obviously do a ton of damage in that time, but I just can't imagine releasing a broken system to be a better alternative.

These next few weeks will be insane.

Into

Hahaha there is a contract that says a company cannot *NOT* show a logo to show off their product? Yeah Hulu is going to sue Microsoft because they did not have their logo appear when they made a 10 min video on YouTube of the OS.

So what you are saying is:

A) MS cannot show off the OS because logos and ads appear, companies will be pissed
B) MS cannot show off the OS while blurring or removing ads, companies will be pissed
Microsoft cannot show off their OS with or without the ads. They are completely screwed then!

Funny how they could show it off during all sorts of conferences, interviews and such.

There are actual insiders supporting the theory that the OS simply is not up to speed, they dont matter either do they? Of course not. The OS is simply not ready to be shown, its not more complicated than that, do not bother with your "You just dont understand argggh", its simply not ready to be shown and that is it. Period.

Ive wasted enough of my time even replying to your absolute nonsense.

Tamanon

Banned
I know (I think), it's sad. Let the consumer be informed.

To be fair, their job is to make sure that any information they relay is correct.

People on twitter with no obligation can say anything and be wrong. "Gaming journalist" is wrong and it causes meaningful harm, it's a lawsuit or a blacklisting.

PBY

Banned
is it even possible for MS to walk back the 11/22 release at this point or are they in a deep hole?

I mean- I keep thinking in the long run a delay would be the best possible thing for this platform's future (if these rumors persist), but it depends on the delay.
Sony would obviously do a ton of damage in that time, but I just can't imagine releasing a broken system to be a better alternative.

This delay talk is crazy. Can we stop? Even if the box is a brick, its coming out the 22nd.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing the suggestion this console will launch without a working OS. I'm not denying that there may be serious issues with it today, but the narrative here is that these problems cannot be fixed. I can't accept that and I have a PS4 on pre-order.

Donnie

L1 and L2 are not user managed storage while ESRAM is.

No of course they're certainly used in different ways normally. Though I wasn't referring specifically the the function of being a system controlled cache. I'm talking about the fundamental idea behind embedded memory. A small dedicated pool of memory which is used to perform a task that doesn't require much space but does require either extremely high bandwidths or very low latencies (or both). In the case of XBox One's eSRAM that should be render targets, where relatively small buffers are written to and from so often they can create insanely large bandwidth requirements that absolutely dwarf the size of the buffers themselves many times over.

This is the concept a lot of people just don't get when it comes to embedded memory.

Have Microsoft screwed their solution up somehow? Quite possibly, I'm only trying to explain that large amounts of space aren't a requirement for such a dedicated pool of memory. Bigger is better if all else is equal obviously, but when you're dealing with something that can already easily hold 1080p frame and depth buffers comfortably its just not accurate to claim that amount of space should make it a bottleneck to the system.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Not gonna lie. All the craziness surrounding Xbone and PS4 is making me think of canceling my PS4 pre-order and just getting a new GPU for my rig. My heart can't take too much more bad news. MS might have fucked up, but damn if it doesn't make me feel sorry for everyone just doing their jobs getting swept up in the bad decisions from up top.

i-Lo

All this bottleneck stuff sounds like excuses from the devs. Run dem games between 900 and 720 and everything will be fine.

Vol5

If MS's launch is the shitshow these rumours make it out to be will you actually press them on it? I remember after E3 you guys were pretty down on Xbone but it evaporated pretty quickly.

It would be nice if the press actually held these guys to account for this stuff sometimes.

And risk a shiny new game or console for review? These are journos, not masochists.

Tamanon

Banned

Impossible to delay now. They've got the marketing in full swing, boxes should be arriving VERY shortly, if they haven't, to store warehouses. Contracts with all their partners for cross-promotion, and a delay would be just as bad as a shitty launch.

dosh

To be fair, their job is to make sure that any information they relay is correct.

People on twitter with no obligation can say anything and be wrong. "Gaming journalist" is wrong and it causes meaningful harm, it's a lawsuit or a blacklisting.

Absolutely. Plus people urging journos to get the stories out there would be the first to hang them if they ended up being wrong.

daveo42

Banned

We are less than a month out at this point. It'd be a nightmare for them if they delayed it at all. I don't think Microsoft wants to give up the holiday bucks so they pushed release back as far as they could in the hopes of having just enough time to be ready for launch. They may have miscalculated. If everything our insiders have said is #truthfact, then Redmond is knee-deep in crunch time.

Hahaha there is a contract that says a company cannot *NOT* show a logo to show off their product? Yeah Hulu is going to sue Microsoft because they did not have their logo appear when they made a 10 min video on YouTube of the OS.

So what you are saying is:

A) MS cannot show off the OS because logos and ads appear, companies will be pissed
B) MS cannot show off the OS while blurring or removing ads, companies will be pissed
Microsoft cannot show off their OS with or without the ads. They are completely screwed then!

Funny how they could show it off during all sorts of conferences, interviews and such.

There are actual insiders supporting the theory that the OS simply is not up to speed, they dont matter either do they? Of course not. The OS is simply not ready to be shown, its not more complicated than that, do not bother with your "You just dont understand argggh", its simply not ready to be shown and that is it. Period.

Ive wasted enough of my time even replying to your absolute nonsense.

" A trademark always runs the risk that it loses its distinctive character, which could mean that the trademark at some point may be annulled. Be careful not to alter a competitor’s trademark, especially if the trademark is a logo. Use of an altered version of the competitor’s trademark may ‘blur’ the mark’s product identification and, therefore, may constitute trademark dilution25 and infringement."

There are in fact legal terms that may be in the contract which prevents the removal of their adverts. Simple truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom