• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

cripterion

at this point they just need to scrap the console and give up. Whoever worked on Xbone is gonna get reamed by MS brass

This type of threads always get so many type of comments like these. Do you realize how silly it makes you look? But yeah I'm sure MS is reading Neogaf and they'll heed your call, pack it in folks, fire everyone, cancel everything!

Smh...

Sinthor

Gold Member
When snapping with a game, is that two OSes working at the same time? Don't apps and games have their own custom OS?

Hell, I forget what the third one is for.

I believe that one OS is the Xbox features/ media features and one is the "game OS" The third is not so much an OS as a hypervisor of some sort to manage the other two and keep them operating smoothly. At least from what I recall...

Tookay

Every UI Demo we've seen is from both platforms.

That doesn't negate anything I said.

He's trumpeting some NFL E3 demo of the UI as if it's proof that snap works, when I'm saying that a demonstration of a couple features (of something that's not even a live TV feed) in a controlled environment on something other than the final hardware proves nothing.

What does bringing the PS4 into this have to do with anything?

A quote from my dev source last night that I didn't put in the article.

Me: CBOAT has mentioned that execs messed with the console design from day one.

Him: Yes. MS does not view this console as a 'games console', despite their last 4 months of convincing otherwise. Its all smoke & mirrors. MS has invested more money in opening studios to produce TV content than any game's studio for next-gen. Their focus is not games. Remember the earnings call from summer 2012 - they now internally refer to the platform as an "Entertainment Platform".

Me: Madness

Him: There are tons of other issues... its amazing how quiet the industry is being with so much going wrong on this platform.

MS has invested more money in opening studios to produce TV content than any game's studio for next-gen.

dear lord...

demolitio

No... just the tinfoil hat level of posting from some people is giving me a headache.

So you basically have a headache all the damn time now? It must be hard to have excitement for new consoles and a headache from what that also means on a forum like GAF.

We get to kind of laugh at it all while you guys have to work too. There's rumors I believe and then there's going way too far with making new threads about random tweets, especially Gies...lol.

I think MS needs to take the short-term hit and possibly delay the console instead of taking a long-term hit in consumer trust even more than they already have. Even most of my friends have heard of the X1 woes which is never a good sign since they're definitely what you might consider just mainstream COD gamers.

Found this on gamefaqs. Maybe the ass storm is us?!?!?!?!

"Gaf is destroying itself in the last few weeks, anyone of any importance will laugh at them in the future ans use other places to discuss things."
The second part was dumb, but the first part was kind of awesome sounding.

PBY

Banned
Damn, every time I come online there is a new blow to this console, and on the aspects like OS and online that you expect them to be competent in no less.

...peterb0y always seems to a high post count in these threads.

Not really. Just these twitter ones. I rarely post on Gaming side, well, bc I rarely play videogames anymore. I just want my PS4 and 2k14.

Why I do post a lot here though, is that the frenzy and frankly, bloodlust, bothers me- because we're getting worked up over stuff that may or may not be true. We can take these rumors with a grain of salt and wait 2 weeks til the press get their boxes. Or we can go the opposite direction and talk about delayed launches, etc, etc. etc.

I don't know. I just feel like these threads bring the tinfoil speculation hard.

So its the trifecta, Proelite, and... people?

Im going to take these as a potential warning, but wait for the review outlets. Feel good about the PS4 preorder though.

I can't keep up with everything...
Just skim through several of the past (locked) threads if you wish, and you'll see tweets from journalists hinting about this stuff and posts from other folks here on gaf. I believe Matt has also hinted at it being true in another thread.

RaikuHebi

Banned
idk, game journalists sure like to pick and choose which "reports" they want to post on their sites I guess.
I've noticed that with GiantBomb. They posted the story about PS4 needing a day 1 update but nothing on all the XBone murmurs. But then I give them the benefit of the doubt since Sony confirmed that news, whereas MS have kept quite quiet re: the rumour mill.

You did not address a single thing i asked you, are you seriously telling us that Microsoft cannot control their own operating system and simple remove/disable the ads that appear?

They cannot do that, they cannot blur them out either? What can they do then?

Its very evident that its not ready to be shown yet, that it has major issues, he is just using this reasoning to excuse showing it, instead of telling the actual truth.

Because I already answered idiotic questions. Removing and Disabling ads IS NOT always legal. Why do you think companies like samsung even directly state in their Smart TV ads that it isnt actual production functionality being demonstrated? Contracts can prevent the removal of their content for advertisement and demoing purposes. I already said that im not going to waste my time by replying to duplicate questions that i already answered and you didnt bother to read

astraycat

L1 or L2 cache in a is also a bottleneck yes?. because its generally under 1MB. This is a typical "I heard it repeated a million times so it must be true" contribution. You don't need GB of space to hold very high bandwidth buffers.

L1 and L2 are not user managed storage while ESRAM is.

crazy how between each generation of systems things change. Of course at this point it's all speculation, but things aren't looking as rosy for the xbox brand moving forward.

Mory Dunz

boomdt.gif

Wow

Not really. Just these twitter ones. I rarely post on Gaming side, well, bc I rarely play videogames anymore. I just want my PS4 and 2k14.

Why I do post a lot here though, is that the frenzy and frankly, bloodlust, bothers me- because we're getting worked up over stuff that may or may not be true. We can take these rumors with a grain of salt and wait 2 weeks til the press get their boxes. Or we can go the opposite direction and talk about delayed launches, etc, etc. etc.

I don't know. I just feel like these threads bring the tinfoil speculation hard.
I'm sure people have already told you why most people take it with much more than a grain of salt though, with the insiders we hear these from, the rumors have a very, very high chance of being the truth. Just don't expect to change anyone's mind on this.

Funny how this forum is so fast to jump on the bottleneck train. Everybody could SWEAR that the GPU was the bottleneck in the XBox One. Now one person suggest its the ESRam and your going to jump on that too? Sounds to me like nobody really knows where the bottleneck of this unreleased system is...whoda thunk it?

fiyah

Found this on gamefaqs. Maybe the ass storm is us?!?!?!?!

"Gaf is destroying itself in the last few weeks, anyone of any importance will laugh at them in the future ans use other places to discuss things."

Well GAF has been rite about almost all rumors in the last few weeks and the ones that have been faux we're quickly shot down. Shit GAF knew about Driveclub delay even before the director of said game.

PBY

Banned
I'm sure people have already told you why most people take it with much more than a grain of salt though, with the insiders we hear these from, the rumors have a very, very high chance of being the truth. Just don't expect to change anyone's mind on this.

Im not trying to change people's minds. I just wish that we could discuss this stuff without the hyperbole and craziness. 2 weeks away we'll know everything.

chadskin

idk, game journalists sure like to pick and choose which "reports" they want to post on their sites I guess.

They might be trying to reach out to their sources at the moment. At least, that's what a journalist should do first instead of copy+pasting rumors from the webs the minute they pop up.

Amir0x

Banned
You guys have got to be patient. Lots going on.

It must be like the wild west right now with all the shit being slung from every corner. I consider myself adept at following the craziness of a NeoGAF evening, but these past few days have even me hard pressed to keep up lol

Into

Because I already answered idiotic questions. Removing and Disabling ads IS NOT always legal. Why do you think companies like samsung even directly state in their Smart TV ads that it isnt actual production functionality being demonstrated? Contracts can prevent the removal of their content for advertisement and demoing purposes. I already said that im not going to waste my time by replying to duplicate questions that i already answered and you didnt bother to read

Is this real life? Are you seriously claiming a company cannot edit out a ad out? Not blur it, but edit it completely, in order to showcase their product and not infringe on anything? Do you know what you are saying here?

Because reality shows do that all the time, every company in the world shows only their product, regardless where it is. You are saying this isent allowed?

You are absolutely 100% wrong,

daveo42

Banned
I've noticed that with GiantBomb. They posted the story about PS4 needing a day 1 update but nothing on all the XBone murmurs. But then I give them the benefit of the doubt since Sony confirmed that news, whereas MS have kept quite quiet re: the rumour mill.

Well some sites have been blasted for not being reputable for basically copy/pasta from GAF instead of indepently verifying their info. My guess is one of the reasons for a lack of news is getting their sources in order before pulishing and getting official word from Microsoft.

At least that would what smart journalists would do in a situation like this.

They might be trying to reach out to their sources at the moment. At least, that's what a journalist should do first instead of copy+pasting rumors from the webs the minute they pop up.

What journalists should do and what journalists do...do are two EXTREMELY different things. Especially in the US

-griffy-

Banned

Let's not forget Giant Bomb broke the Xbox 180 story before Microsoft even announced it.

I think by the time they launch...Both OS will be fine. At this point, I think media/industry guys are just trolling us...

btw--snap stuff etc...is pretty cool, beats me, but people do seem to have OCD now and want to constantly be connected to everything all the time. Could be pretty popular, just saying..

Tookay

It must be like the wild west right now with all the shit being slung from every corner. I consider myself adept at following the craziness of a NeoGAF evening, but these past few days have even me hard pressed to keep up lol

Yeah, honestly things are moving a bit too fast for me.

Information being tucked away behind multiple locked threads isn't helping.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

this is honestly MS' best hope actually. Optionally/default automate basic usage of eSRAM, then allowing the developer to bypass the default handling if they have a (likely) more efficient way of moving data. At least this way MS can marginally alleviate some pain points with the eSRAM solution and give more savvy developers options.

Of course that all comes back to "will never achieve parity with PS4" but at least then developers aren't actually struggling with it. They have a known quantity and can adjust development appropriately. Hopefully at a higher default than just "GPU/RAM intense multi-plats are 720p" that we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom