• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Warning ?

That it's going to be a crap storm or that it's not set in stone ?

I should clarify, I asked about the asstorm and was told: "Wait till launch."

That's all I've heard. That's it. Nothing more. Don't read into something that's not there.

Tamanon

Banned
Only thing that would make sense is that those posters were printed before the xbox one reveal. During that period where the ps4 had been announced and the Xb1 not revealed yet trailers used to end with a similar screen.

Yeah, but doesn't it have a rating on it? I would imagine the game wouldn't be rated yet in that case.

Amir0x

Banned
did ya'll miss this?

I will say this: IF all this shit turns out to be true and journalists sat by the sidelines while it was happening, there must be a reckoning. This sort of failure at their job is so fucking insane that it literally suggests they shouldn't even exist. Why bother being a 'games journalist'? At this point they'd all just be game 'enthusiasts' who bow down to whatever company gives them the nicest smile.

FUCK NDAs. I don't give a shit what people are signing. If this story is this big, it is of critical importance to inform consumers and their readers. That's the only duty. If they fail to do that, shut down their websites. Wrap it up.

astraycat

bottleneck=/=hard to work with.

In fact in overall performance a system can only have one bottleneck. Some people says its the bandwidth, others say its CU's, now the ESRAM. Performance always has one critical bottleneck, and the fact that it is said to be at least 3 things tells me that the true bottleneck probably isnt known

There's never only one bottleneck. You can be bottle-necked at any point in your pipeline. However, you tend to only hit one at a time. But getting around one bottleneck will very quickly show you where else you've got problems.

jaru

Unbenannt_1.jpg

I'd like to think Xbox gets a smooth launch and the hardware is at least somewhat decent. I have friends buying the thing and it'll suck if they are having issues out the box.

So many conflicting reports.

I will say this: IF all this shit turns out to be true and journalists sat by the sidelines while it was happening, there must be a reckoning. This sort of failure at their job is so fucking insane that it literally suggests they shouldn't even exist. Why bother being a 'games journalist'? At this point they'd all just be game 'enthusiasts' who bow down to whatever company gives them the nicest smile

the journalists side of the industry is in a place where if they say anything wrong or don't play by the rules the publishers cut them off.. then what?

its fucking stupid I know.

Tsundere

Banned
I'd like to think Xbox gets a smooth launch and the hardware is at least somewhat decent. I have friends buying the thing and it'll suck if they are having issues out the box.

So many conflicting reports.
InsiderGAF is pretty much all on the same page, no conflicts.

i-Lo

Y'all are being paranoid. Most if not all major issues will be fixed by launch and this whole ESRAM debacle will be resolved in due time. Remember you'r'all buying a console that is being created with the future in mind. If they gave everything right now, what features pray tell would be left for the future?

When we got so many insiders?

Who knows. Gaf is a news source across the web these days. Look online Mort or CBoat are sourced for half the negative MS rumors out their. Maybe Sony should write them some checks.

All very strange. Especially now that it's kicking up a notch less than a month from launch. If it was just fanboys they would be excited for PS4 land buying DS4's and PS cameras. Instead they are still spreading MS FUD for their readers.

Because on the PS4 side we have posters like liquidmetal (and maybe a couple others?) downplaying it?

And on the Xbox side we have far greater uniformity that the problems are deeper?
And other sources saying not.

I guess we will know in time but I fear tons more of this until we do.

Ms need to do a vid and just show it now or they are being damaged.

ironcreed

Banned
I will say this: IF all this shit turns out to be true and journalists sat by the sidelines while it was happening, there must be a reckoning. This sort of failure at their job is so fucking insane that it literally suggests they shouldn't even exist. Why bother being a 'games journalist'? At this point they'd all just be game 'enthusiasts' who bow down to whatever company gives them the nicest smile.

FUCK NDAs. I don't give a shit what people are signing. If this story is this big, it is of critical importance to inform consumers and their readers. That's the only duty. If they fail to do that, shut down their websites. Wrap it up.

Yep, it's just $500+ folks are getting ready to dish out. No big deal, though. Got to protect your buddies who give you free shit.

Another non-news thread. Why isn't this locked yet? It says in the FAQ that using twitter posts as "news" is directly against the rules.

Amir0x

Banned
the journalists side of the industry is in a place where if they say anything wrong or don't play by the rules the publishers cut them off.. then what?

its fucking stupid I know.

Then what?

Fuck the companies, that's then what. I know, I know... it's easy for me to say it, that's not my livelihood. But that's the problem. Game journalists should have fought back collectively against this strong arming ages ago and they have not. Now we're in a situation where they literally just parrot the various company lines and we're stuck to hoping hugely important news like this is "leaked." Da fug? Why do they exist? So we can read pathetically effusive handjobs over Grand Theft Auto V? I'll pass, thanks game journalist websites.

IF they have to give up their entire credibility to remain viable in this industry, then what's the point?

CLEEK

900p is 1440000 pixels
1080p is 2073600 pixels

That's about 44% more pixels. "180p short" is underselling the difference.

Isn't it 1920x900 being upscaled? 1080p gives you 20% more pixels.

The recent DF article said that 900p was 70% of the pixels of 1080p.

If so, compromises have to be made and screen resolution is an easy change to make that has a dramatic effect on the frame-rate (900p, for example, is only 70 per cent of the number of pixels in a 1080p screen). This will likely be the main driving reason behind the resolution choice for the launch titles and won't be any indicator of console "power" - compare Project Gotham Racing 3's sub-native presentation with its sequel, for example.

dosh

Anyone who can seriously say

in a tweet does not give me confidence

Why can't gaming journalists not be assholes?

A couple notable exceptions of course

Ho it's not about giving me confidence. I just found this unexpectedly funny. Also, I do think that some gamers are whiny cunts.

Then what?

Fuck the companies, that's then what. I know, I know... it's easy for me to say it, that's not my livelihood. But that's the problem. Game journalists should have fought back collectively against this strong arming ages ago and they have not. Now we're in a situation where they literally just parrot the various company lines and we're stuck to hoping hugely important news like this is "leaked." Da fug? Why do they exist? So we can read pathetically effusive handjobs over Grand Theft Auto V? I'll pass, thanks game journalist websites.

IF they have to give up their entire credibility to remain viable in this industry, then what's the point?

Here (France), Gamekult have been known for saying fuck you to several companies, including Sony. They ended up blacklisted for some time, but they kept doing their work. And yes it's easy to say but apparently that's sometimes a viable option.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

So basically it sounds like there's general anxiety about what's happening to the PSN servers since they plan to turn the PSN servers on closer to launch than is normal, but otherwise the types of bugs PS4 has are nothing we've never seen before, with a few weeks to launch.

Microsoft on the other hand is having problems getting 3 operating systems working in tandem with each other like they originally planned. This cross functionality of OSs is fairly core to the whole system, and because the concept is so new and complex, no one knows exactly how easy these bugs will be to fix. It's certainly possible that they'll figure it out in time, but it's hard to be sure given the type of the problems they have.

Yasir

Yeah dont trust this. Dunno why. Trust mort and thuway heck of alot more for some reason.

Journalism has lost a lot of my trust. Reviews scores for dollars, ad pay, bitching and moaning. Theres still alot of good stuff being put out, but for now I'm sticking to the peeps who have been correct continously!

zebwinz

Well, I'm glad Polygon has cleared this all up.
Sorry, thuway/mortimer/proelite/Matt/Rab.

I could pull together some other tweets but I think it might be pointless, seeing as most of GAF thinks the gaming press is completely in the pocket of the big pubs.

Just one example:

dosen't microsoft own polygon ?

Ok, another :)

he is from Polygon, bought by MS. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

Jesus this thread moves fast. All this leaking, confirmed/unconfirmed rumours is all getting a bit desperate and willy-waving. I love a bit of goss just like the next guy (and apparently 50% of GAF) but it's all gone a little wide-eyed and crazy. I'll just sit with my PS4 pre order and allow others to let the world burn.

People, and here I mean insiders/leakers and GAFites alike all need to calm down.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
Y'all are being paranoid. Most if not all major issues will be fixed by launch and this whole ESRAM debacle will be resolved in due time. Remember you'r'all buying a console that is being created with the future in mind. If they gave everything right now, what features pray tell would be left for the future?

I pray this is sarcasm.

Then what?

just so we are clear I agree with you 100%

right now game journalists are just freelance PR for the publishers.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member

Fuck NDAs? You want them to be liable for what I would imagine are some pretty serious damages because they didn't reveal that software in development wasn't working and/or had bugs ?

The solution will be that journalists will never have access to anything in development ever again.

PierrePressure

Neo Member

Investigative games journalism is virtually nonexistent, it's a key area that needs improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom